Who will still cruise with Princess...I think many in these groups won’t

Loreni

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

At the beginning of  February this year ... all the excitement of 3 cruises booked later in the year......

Now looking at where we are....... one would have never guessed.....

Started just looking at land based trips locally.....

A lot of the place we enjoyed to stay at have Closed.... which is sad

Is 2020 is the year of  Go Nowhere.... and now they are talking about restrictions in 2021

So the Golden age we have been living in has ended..... and the future will be different

Remember you just can't flick a switch and everything is back on..........

Don

Right!  That's why we are looking to make a few RV trips in the Fall.    Of course we will have to check for any restrictions the states may have upon entering.

We mourned the loss of our first Alaska Cruise tour for May 2020.

We have mourned the loss of life in all countries, all peoples. We pray for family and friends of those we know and do not know.  Those who have lost someone, a job, a sense of sanity, not being able to go to school.  We mourn that this world of ours has changed, and will forever be different, but we can move on and make the best of it.

It took 98 days to receive our refunds, and another 10 days for our FCC. We understood that the whole big planet was suffering and that the travel industry was in complete chaos.  I pray for those who are taking all the heat from all cruisers who are mad and angry and wanted their refunds yesterday.  Do any of you actually believe that berating your Princess Rep (working limited hours from home) or your TA, (probably working limited hours from home), would be able to snap their fingers and call the accountants and get your refund to you before any and all others?

I agree with the person who said that if it wasn't for this insidious virus, the people would have taken their cruise.  Who is to say that maybe  a week later the virus struck, the money would have been gone anyhow.

And as far as getting mixed information during the transitions from ships to shore, and correct communication:  Do not know about you, but the information is still changing constantly, so when it struck, no one was smarter than the rest.

Lets become part of the solution, not the problem.  Wear a mask in public, social distance, wash your hands.  Stay safe and sane.

Have already re-booked for next year.   Will cruise with Princess again, and again and again.  God Willing.

Renee

• Like 4

19 hours ago, suzyed said:

Right!  That's why we are looking to make a few RV trips in the Fall.    Of course we will have to check for any restrictions the states may have upon entering.

Im glad that works for you. I would rather stay home then sleep in an RV.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

After getting cancelled twice we are now booked with the kids and grandkids for March, 2022.  We've also scoped out a 22 day British Isles / TA.  It pops up in October, 2022, as a single cruise rather than splicing together a local and a TA.  Very doable, of course, but so far Princess is the only line I've found that offers them combined.  Hopefully it will be available in 2023 when I actually retire and need it.

6 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

After getting cancelled twice we are now booked with the kids and grandkids for March, 2022.  We've also scoped out a 22 day British Isles / TA.  It pops up in October, 2022, as a single cruise rather than splicing together a local and a TA.  Very doable, of course, but so far Princess is the only line I've found that offers them combined.  Hopefully it will be available in 2023 when I actually retire and need it.

2021? 

London (Southampton), England to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida  October 5, 2021

On 8/11/2020 at 1:10 AM, Loreni said:

Many here are diehard cruisers who can’t wait to sail.

Many here are diehard whiners who can’t wait to sail again so they can come back to CC and whine some more.

The reduced volume is just like the reduced volume at TripAdvisor. It is hard to discuss cruising and traveling when no one is cruising and traveling.

• Like 1

Never cruised Princess but have my agent keeping her eye out for something on Princess. 

The brand hasn't been so badly tarnished to keep me from exploring a first cruise on Princess.  I've climbed the ladder over on Royal and have a pretty full cruise card with them but I keep hoping to find a deal on something solo to let me try Princess.   

For a cruiseaholic I think it's wise to keep an open mind and cruise more than one line.  Despite the pandemic water under the bridge I'm hoping to dip my toes in a Princess pool to try something different.  Different itinerary, different ship, different dining room and so on.  

This endeavour will likely cost me more absent of the reduced solo supplement and free happy hour drinks on Royal so I might have to a pay a premium to try Princess but even with all that has happened related to the pandemic I'm still searching for my first Princess booking.  

I'm not displeased by Royal.  They didn't handle one high end booking to my liking and refunds took a while for other cruises but I'm whole with them now.  I suspect if I had these same bookings with Princess the experience wouldn't be too far off how it was with Royal.  During a pandemic that crippled the industry being left with one sour cancelled cruise experience surely pales to what many Americans are dealing with in their lives from this thing.  

So in the context of "Who will still cruise with Princess?" count me in.  If I found the right deal on the right cruise this afternoon I'd book it.  

• Like 4

Our Baltic cruise scheduled for May was cancelled yesterday.  We only have $200 Future Cruise Deposit in it, so the money is no big deal. They want us to rebook another cruise out of Southampton (we were booked out of Copenhagen), and pay an additional $3500 because it is three days longer, or another date out of Copenhagen with an additional $1200.  Sure, we'd get $400 OBC, but we're already getting that.  I don't think we will rebook.  We're not going to wear a mask on a cruise ship, or be herded around doing ship excursions.  Maybe if things change in the future we'll come back to cruising. 

11 hours ago, alwayssingin said:

Our Baltic cruise scheduled for May was cancelled yesterday.  We only have $200 Future Cruise Deposit in it, so the money is no big deal. They want us to rebook another cruise out of Southampton (we were booked out of Copenhagen), and pay an additional $3500 because it is three days longer, or another date out of Copenhagen with an additional $1200.  Sure, we'd get $400 OBC, but we're already getting that.  I don't think we will rebook.  We're not going to wear a mask on a cruise ship, or be herded around doing ship excursions.  Maybe if things change in the future we'll come back to cruising. 

With two or three less ports.

16 hours ago, alwayssingin said:

That sure does not sound like a way to encourage those interested in going on a cruise to return. At some point they will have to deal with a lessening of demand after the initial I have not cruised for so long and have FCC demand wears off.  High prices and rules like only ship excursions is not the way to accomplish that.

It seems that much of the trepidation about cruising is really dependent on getting a viable, safe vaccine.  Let's hope that this will happen in a timely but prudent manner for those of us planning to sail in 2021. It may still require the ships to take a certain number of precautions such as social distancing and masks in crowded areas, but hopefully we will be permitted to do our own independent touring at ports of call, which some cruise lines have disallowed for now.  I have not seen any guideline on this from Princess, but may have just missed it. While we would still opt to return to cruising, being limited exclusively to the ships' tours would definitely be a negative for us.

11 minutes ago, jonikal said:

do our own independent touring at ports of call

that may be a 'country by country port call' as to what the port will allow as far as excursions off a cruise ship to protect the residents of the port from the cruisers ... some kind of combo agreement, or not ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If all crew and passengers are required to show proof of vaccination then I fail to see why masks and distancing would be necessary 

This makes sense once the resumption of the first sailings have successfully taken place without any Covid cases thereby confirming the vaccine's effectiveness. Out of an abundance of caution by the cruise line, I would not be surprised if masks were still required until such time as it is proven unnecessary. 

11 hours ago, memoak said:

If all crew and passengers are required to show proof of vaccination then I fail to see why masks and distancing would be necessary 

depends upon the efficacy of the vaccine. even at 70%  you have 30% with the potential to bring the virus on board, and pass it to the others were it was not effective.

it also depends upon what the trials end up showing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, memoak said:

Long before Covid 19 I'd see Asian women wearing masks out in public (grocery stores and shopping malls), I thought they were silly. I don't anymore. I may wear a mask in crowded public spaces long after the  all clear siren goes off.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jonikal said:

It seems that much of the trepidation about cruising is really dependent on getting a viable, safe vaccine.  Let's hope that this will happen in a timely but prudent manner for those of us planning to sail in 2021. It may still require the ships to take a certain number of precautions such as social distancing and masks in crowded areas, but hopefully we will be permitted to do our own independent touring at ports of call, which some cruise lines have disallowed for now.  I have not seen any guideline on this from Princess, but may have just missed it. While we would still opt to return to cruising, being limited exclusively to the ships' tours would definitely be a negative for us.

Princess is continuing to develop these policies and I do not think you will see them published until Princess cruises will really be starting again.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Long before Covid 19 I'd see Asian women wearing masks out in public (grocery stores and shopping malls), I thought they were silly. I don't anymore. I may wear a mask in crowded public spaces long after the  all clear siren goes off.

Yeah man, this is so true.. We used to make fun of Asians in general cause the all wore masks and now we are no different from them. I feel ashamed really and want to say sorry to all those people wearing masks before us.. I mean they knew, they really did while we thought that they were silly.. 100+ thousands deaths in the states alone 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Read an article yesterday from CC about cruise company execs and some pols pushing back against the CDC in a virtual meeting.  The point seemed to be that the cruise companies have been working their butts off to comply with the CDC requirements but that the CDC is not working with them in good faith.  I've had that opinion for some time - especially since other sections of the travel and tourism industry are being allowed to restart.  I understand that the cruise industry is unique in some ways but it does seem like they are being left to swing in the wind.