What is it going to take to get you back on board?

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

"Tiny total of 170.000?"

Really?

I see you're British so let me give you something to ponder.  WWII caused horrendous loss of life in England.  On the home front, you suffered from bombings that seemed virtually endless.  So a question, how many British civilians were killed during World War II?  Was it a "tiny" number?

My guess is that you would reply that it certainly was not "tiny."

Well, you lost 70,000 civilians during the war.  That is absolutely horrible.  Now compare that to the 170,000 Americans we have lost.   Nuf said!

The US has 328,000,000 Population 

Around 52 people per 100,000 have died. Almost all have underlying health issues or are old and vulnerable

How many of those sad deaths would have died this year anyway?

Your World War II analogy is misguided - Unless you can tell me how many were vulnerable, ill, or over 75

A better analogy for the US, would be the 100,000 that died of Hong Kong flu in 1968-69, where your economy was not trashed

I'm afraid I am immune to hyperbole. I only ever look at facts and not media hype driven by politicking

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:
4 hours ago, bigrednole said:
  1. A cruise ship that can load passengers in a US port
  2. A cruise ship that can return the passengers to a US port
  3. Guarantee of no 14-day mandatory quarantine in a "prison"
  4. A cruise that can sail when we can travel

+1

+2

• Like 1

- Effective vaccine, without long term effects to the human body, so I can get said vaccine.

- Departing country will have to have COVID controlled as well.

- Cruise line require an effective COVID vaccine for all staff and passengers.

- Ports of call only include ports where the majority of the local population has had the vaccine as well.

- Previous 2 cruises (or two weeks) without any COVID cases. No new staff changes. (Or new staff is self isolated for 2 weeks on land before embarking.)

- Staff is tested after every cruise.

- Rapid testing available onboard. 

- If isolation is required everyone will be isolated on land.

- Upgrades to the ship's HVAC system to allow better handling of aerosol droplets.

It would be damn nice to not have to use a mask, especially in the Caribbean, but without an effective vaccine, I don't think this will be happening. With that said:

- Staff have the authority to force passengers to wash their hands or put on a mask. No ifs or buts. 

Realistically, I don't think I will be going on a cruise any time soon 😞  when it flares up, lockdown is the only option. re South Korea/New Zealand. 

Edited by billxinli

Absolutely agree.

1 death is awful and causes grief to a family.

170,000 is horrible and heartbreaking for all these families.

Currently over 41,000 UK deaths from Coronavirus.

Graham.

Just over 200 people under 40 have died of Covid 19 in England

Almost all had underlying health issues

Never before has any issue in any of our lifetimes been so irresponsibly hyped, and so many people conned, by the media

As shown by your comment that 41,000 have died OF Coronavirus

Not only is the figure vastly over-inflated by all sorts of unconnected deaths, but a huge majority were WITH not OF Covid 19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Vast majority of deaths occurred over an 8 month window.

So, we need to double current deaths in 3 months to keep up with the Blitz death percentage 

Vast majority of CV19 deaths occurred over the past 4 1/2 months.  That still leaves 7 1/2 months to catch up.

Do you think FL can pick up the slack? 😉😇   (*** just picking up where you and Molly left off 😄)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

All of the social events from graduations to funerals have been put off. I don't know how people still have the mind set to be booking cruises when just going to work, school and the grocery store is a major event. I'm not afraid of dying from covid I'm afraid of not having a proper send off.

"I'm afraid of not having a proper send off" That wouldn't be a concern of mine at the time ... actually I wouldn't have any concerns anymore :classic_wink:

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

He wants the civil ceremony but the bride doesn't want to wait until 2022 (which was the next date available) for the celebration. He didn't want to spend a lot of money on a reception to being with.  The bride figures that she can put together a 50 person limit wedding given all of the cancelations.

Sounds like you son is the practical one. 

• Like 1

I echo everything that Billxinili has noted.  All those points would have to be in place plus an Official stamped government certificate proving vaccine has been been given to any potential cruiser as well as a negative COVID test (result) from the previous day.  Perhaps by that time, simple saliva tests will be the rage as the COVID test I had administered two days prior to my surgery the other day was a mighty uncomfortable nostril swab!!!!    Then, and only then, would we be back to cruising which we absolutely love so it is very hard to deal with the fact that this activity that we took for granted will not be potentially in our future until I would say early 2023.    We here in Ontario, Canada are gearing up for the next wave come when all our kids go back to school Sept 8.  The fights are on with the teachers and the unions and the like over class size.  Then the flu season coming on down the pipe in early Oct.  So, 2023 plus all the conditions above for us.  

• Like 2

Absolutely agree.

1 death is awful and causes grief to a family.

170,000 is horrible and heartbreaking for all these families.

Currently over 41,000 UK deaths from Coronavirus.

Graham.

Yes, Graham, spot on!

Some people simply like to play a numbers game.  As you say, though, each one of those deaths (currently over 210,000 for our countries), is painful to the families involved.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

[Most people don't appreciate what health care (especially nurses) have done to mitigate the number of deaths.] 

Here in NYC, many nurses have died as a direct result of their dedication to their patients.

This is not just about numbers... it is about human lives!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Here's the problem... how do you know who is healthy?  A negative test doesn't tell you that.  It only tells you (assuming the accuracy is good enough) that the person wasn't infected at the time of the test.  

A lack of symptoms doesn't tell you someone is healthy because they could be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic.  

So, I agree, healthy people should be allowed to do what they want to do, but how do you determine who is healthy?

Healthy as in the vast, vast majority of people who will suffer little to no effects from the virus.  Your doctor can help you make that decision.  The curve has been more than flattened so cruising right now will have a barely measurable effect on the situation.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

And how many of those people didn't even die from COVID at all?

Wrong!

Latest reports from US show that the number of unexpected deaths over the last few months  was 210,000, meaning the probable death rate for COVID-19 exceeded the reported numbers.

Again, each of these deaths represented a human being with family and friends.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Wrong!

Latest reports from US show that the number of unexpected deaths over the last few months  was 210,000, meaning the probable death rate for COVID-19 exceeded the reported numbers.

Again, each of these deaths represented a human being with family and friends.

Have you visited a nursing home lately?

How about one that takes primarily medicaid patients. Not many family or friends from what I see. It's really sad

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, Graham, spot on!

Some people simply like to play a numbers game.  As you say, though, each one of those deaths (currently over 210,000 for our countries), is painful to the families involved.

Many of those people like to argue for the sake of arguing, even if their point isn't valid. If they haven't been personally affected, its not real to them. Asking them which one of their loved ones are they willing to sacrifice to the slow, painful and lonely death of CV19 in the name of freedom is one way to shut them up.

Of course,  it's a good way to get your post deleted and possibly banned.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

How many of those sad deaths would have died this year anyway?

So, it's o.k. in you mind because some would have died this year?

Hey look, we're all going to die at some point, so that statement is totally irrelevant. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I wish I didn't have ties to Florida. My son wants to push up his wedding from Oct 2022 to has soon as possible. My future DIL doesn't think she will have a teaching job. She was a substitute teacher in NYC last year and  they may not have a position for her this year. They want to push up the wedding so she will be able to have his health insurance. My son wants to have a civil ceremony for the legality so she can be added to his health insurance but the bride wants a wedding even if it's only 50 people. The issue is my son wants his Grandparents and his Aunt and Uncle who live in Florida to be there. So now we are in the same situation as you were in not being able to attend your moms birthday.

Maybe have the legal civil wedding and then a celebration with vows and the dress when you can get everyone together. My sons wedding should of been last Saturday. Now rebooked for next year. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, Graham, spot on!

I have seen a lot of emotive language like this

If you want to talk about facts it means you're heartless and don't care about the sad deaths

It is a numbers game. That is why they use numbers. It allows experts to analyse the real story

And the 'real' story is that in England, with a population over over 65,000,000 only around 220 people under 40 have died and almost all had underlying health issues

These are the people that will lose jobs, education, and in some cases, lives to suicide (numbers are way above average in the UK during lockdown)

We must move away from hyperbolic language and focus on recovering as soon as possible from the worst political decisions any of us will see in our lifetimes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, yogimax said:

So, it's o.k. in you mind because some would have died this year?

Hey look, we're all going to die at some point, so that statement is totally irrelevant. 

Actually, it's very relevant

In the UK, it is estimated that up to 70% of the elderly that have died, would have died this year anyway

Edited by compman9
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, compman9 said:

We must move away from hyperbolic language and focus on recovering as soon as possible from the worst political decisions any of us will see in our lifetimes

Hey, for once I agree with you!

3 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

It's NOT supposed to get worse this fall, they are saying hospitals have seasonal flu people AND now covid people THIS fall, that is WHAT IS worse.

You must have misspoke and forget the word "SOME" 

BECAUSE SOME of the people in the U.S. ARE being responsible

You're right, SOME People in the US are irresponsible, and I believe the vast majority are not.  However, on the other point, the predictions are for things to get worse.  All of the following models predict the death rate in the US to increase in the coming weeks: Los Alamos, John Hopkins, Northeastern University, Covid-19 Simulator, MIT, Iowa State, Univ of Mass, Youyang Gu, UCLA, Columbia Univ, Georgia Tech, IHME, Univ of Ariz, US Army, Univ of Texas.  I hope they are all wrong.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

You're right, SOME People in the US are irresponsible, and I believe the vast majority are not.  However, on the other point, the predictions are for things to get worse.  All of the following models predict the death rate in the US to increase in the coming weeks: Los Alamos, John Hopkins, Northeastern University, Covid-19 Simulator, MIT, Iowa State, Univ of Mass, Youyang Gu, UCLA, Columbia Univ, Georgia Tech, IHME, Univ of Ariz, US Army, Univ of Texas.  I hope they are all wrong.

You lost me at GA Tech😉

• Like 1

I trust RCI to not allow cruising until it's safe, so if they let us, I'll go.  I'm also willing to do all the things they ask like get tested, wear a mask when possible, distance as much as possible, and even take a vaccine if one is proved out and my doctor OK's it.

• Like 2

Only way i would cruise is if there are no restrictions , so that means i wont be on a ship

for quite a while .

There is nowhere to run if there is a virus breakout on a ship .

Dont need the hassle , so i am not cruising .

• Like 1