What is it going to take to get you back on board?

4 hours ago, compman9 said:

This is a fascinating post. I have read the thread and not read a single comment indicating that people are Covid deniers. Neither have I read any politics on the issue. Just people providing pinion in relation to the issue at hand - When we are ll happy to cruise.

Covid is very real and very dangerous.

However, it is not nearly as bad as forecasters claimed at the outset

It only affects the vulnerable in notable numbers

The young are virtually immune.

It is dwindling very quickly.

Treatment has come on leaps and bounds since the beginning.

And management is now very accomplished in most communities.

Look up Wuhan pool party and see the video of how the people at the release point of the virus are now behaving.

Yes on improved treatments. My question is this, are cruise ships prepared to manage medically and logistically a COVID19 crisis onboard?  I don’t think so. 

M8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How are you going to manage bringing guest onboard at each port, especially with COVID19?😇

M8

You have a point there...but remember this all started in a “make belelieve” world..what it would take for me to cruise again?...allowed to dream...no?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like some have said it will take a vaccine for us to cruise again. I have no interest in wearIng a mask on a cruise and if I have been vaccinated then why would I have to or worry about being quarantined. We have a cruise scheduled for October 2021 and if we are not comfortable by final payment next summer then I will move it out a year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My question is this, are cruise ships prepared to manage medically and logistically a COVID19 crisis onboard?  I don’t think so. 

M8

Probably not.  Especially considering the demographics of their customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Hey guys - the Covid deniers - we get it. You don’t think Covid is a big deal. You don’t think things should be closed as a precaution. You think there are lies being spread by Big Covid to make a crisis where none exists in reality. 

Could you do everyone a favor and not rehash the same points over and over again in dozens of threads every single day? As I said, we get it. If someone asks “Do you think Covid is a hoax”, sure, bring up all your facts. But if it’s not relevant to the topic on a cruise board, maybe save it for a board on politics or public health?

I like it.  Personally I am starting to think they should open up cruising right now for all these folks and lets see what happens.  I will get out the popcorn and watch from home.  

Unfortunately the crew might have different wishes.

• Like 5

On 8/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, Airbear232 said:

I think Covid has lasted longer than most people expected.  Not only that but it is expected to start getting even worse for the fall.  People, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible.  Given all of this, what would it take for you to go back on board?  Would you take a vaccine if it was available immediately, or would you wait a number of months to make sure it is safe.  This all has implications for the viability of the cruise industry.  If there isn't a some type of solution by second quarter of next year, there may very well not be a cruise industry to go back to once things finally normalize.

It's lasted longer to those who aren't capable of critical thinking.  

1.) Maybe?  There are going to be spikes in different parts of the world at different times.  Just because "they say" doesn't mean it's true.  They also said there would be food shortages, 5mil dead in USA, supply chain issues, etc etc.  Only thing I saw missing from my grocery shelves were TP and Lysol wipes.  

2.) Just us huh?  Check out the rest of the world right now.  Virus going to virus.  

3.) I'll get on board once the CDC says go for it

4.) Yes I'll take it

5.) This virus will be around spring of 2021, so they better figure it out.  

• Like 2

No required COVID test!  Unless you want me to spit in a cup I won't be sailing.  Not sticking a 12" cotton swab up my nose or down my throat.  Find another way to test or else we'll be waiting for as long as it takes to move on, don't care if its years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pink845 said:

I echo everything that Billxinili has noted.  All those points would have to be in place plus an Official stamped government certificate proving vaccine has been been given to any potential cruiser as well as a negative COVID test (result) from the previous day.  Perhaps by that time, simple saliva tests will be the rage as the COVID test I had administered two days prior to my surgery the other day was a mighty uncomfortable nostril swab!!!!    Then, and only then, would we be back to cruising which we absolutely love so it is very hard to deal with the fact that this activity that we took for granted will not be potentially in our future until I would say early 2023.    We here in Ontario, Canada are gearing up for the next wave come when all our kids go back to school Sept 8.  The fights are on with the teachers and the unions and the like over class size.  Then the flu season coming on down the pipe in early Oct.  So, 2023 plus all the conditions above for us.  

How do you get a negative test result from the previous day? When the day prior to travel, people are travelling from all over the country even the world to board the ship? Or in some cases boarding from another ship? And besides doesn't the vaccine take away the need for the mask wearing and won't the crew have the requirement for vaccination written into their contract taking away their need for regular testing?. I suspect they will and that it does.

Edited by ace2542

13 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

No required COVID test!  Unless you want me to spit in a cup I won't be sailing.  Not sticking a 12" cotton swab up my nose or down my throat.  Find another way to test or else we'll be waiting for as long as it takes to move on, don't care if its years.

Right on buddy. No one but me is sticking the testing thing up my nasal cavity. I am perfectly capable to picking my own nose. I done it when I was a little kid I can do it again.

The MSC Grandiosa that just sailed out of Genoa had the following safety protocols:

"The embarkation process started at 9.30 am with guests arriving at the Stazioni Marittimeterminal in staggered, allocated time slots and underwent temperature checks, medical review of their health questionnaire and an antigen COVID-19 swab test.

After completing these steps and having received the results of the test while in the terminal, guests that were fit to travel then embarked the ship according to the new health and safety procedures, which include sanitation of both hand and hold luggage.

Five people had to undergo a second more extensive test but all were cleared to sail.

Among the passengers departing from Genoa, about 90% were Italians while the remainder came from France.

Additionally, over the past several weeks, all crew members have gone through similarly stringent health screening measures, which included 3 COVID-19 tests in various phases as well as a period of isolation before commencing their duties. Each crew member will be regularly tested and their health monitored. The crew spent time in quarantine before the start of the cruise.

Guest must wear face masks in elevators and other areas where social distancing is not possible.

Among the port calls for the Grandiosa, MSC’s flagship, are Naples, Palermo, Sicily and Valletta, Malta.

Malta is one of four Mediterranean countries that Italy now requires travellers arriving from to have COVID-19 tests.

Passengers will not be allowed to tour port towns on their own, and the same rule will apply to crew on the ships, too."

I posted a video of the buffet in another thread, and as someone pointed out, serving your own drinks is not a good idea. Otherwise the buffet looked pretty sanitary.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The issue is that anyone who comes from Florida would have to quarantine 14 days which means they would have to come 2 weeks before the wedding. The entire thing is ridicules for a few hours to attend a wedding.   I understand they got cheated. No engagement party (they got engaged on a cruise in Feb and came back with Covid) no bridal shower and now no reception. They should just do the legalities for the insurance and have the religious ceremony at a later date. It's not like they will be able to go on any kind of honeymoon during a pandemic. It's a sin what people have to stoop to in order to get health insurance in this country. 

I get it now.  I hope for a wedding vow renewal on board a ship on their original wedding date, with the family!!!!

1 hour ago, mickeychicky said:

The long cotton swab up the nose is 10 seconds, and the way to keep it from being uncomfortable is to take a breath just before the swab goes in,  and hold it during that 10 seconds.  It's the air flowing in your nose that spreads the testing solution and tickles/stings.

Very, very, very little discomfort if done this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Not until we have had the vaccine and as we are UK nationals and our cruise on Anthem is from New Jersey not until the travel ban has been lifted. And once I have the vaccine I WILL NOT be wearing mask as we don't need to  because once we have had the vaccine we can no longer catch the illness correct?

You should expect to keep wearing a mask, since the latest reports are that 35% of people are saying they won't be vaccinated.  Vaccine + mask is best protection until the infection numbers are looking flat enough.

For me now, March 28th to come around. These European cruises starting will be a tell-tale sign of things to come. The rapid testing the NBA is using (even though I disagree with calling it rapid) and others that are even better, will make positive changes. I have no issues taking a 10s test that is as accurate as the lab tests that take day or weeks to get back. I have a feeling as rapid testing becomes approved by the FDA, the cruise lines will agree it is necessary and plan to do it pre-cruise. 

23 hours ago, yogimax said:

Wrong!

Latest reports from US show that the number of unexpected deaths over the last few months  was 210,000, meaning the probable death rate for COVID-19 exceeded the reported numbers.

Again, each of these deaths represented a human being with family and friends.

We get it. The fear may be scarier than we thought. You can never have too much fear. If the reality is every case is not being reported, then guess what? So is every other cause of death.

The only difference is, we don't have countless pieces of evidence stating other causes of death are falsely being handed out like candy. Apparently, other causes of death are shrinking in some areas, while COVID takes over. Yet, let's go for more as we think it's being under reported. I challenge anyone to find a cause of death that has as many incorrect reportings as COVID has had.

19 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Hey guys - the Covid deniers - we get it. You don’t think Covid is a big deal. You don’t think things should be closed as a precaution. You think there are lies being spread by Big Covid to make a crisis where none exists in reality. 

Could you do everyone a favor and not rehash the same points over and over again in dozens of threads every single day? As I said, we get it. If someone asks “Do you think Covid is a hoax”, sure, bring up all your facts. But if it’s not relevant to the topic on a cruise board, maybe save it for a board on politics or public health?

There's a difference between thinking COVID is not a big deal and discrepancies. Where some activities NEVER hit the news as having infections, while anything halfway leisurely is an irresponsible death trip for all of the old people you don't care about. I'm supposed to think that going for Florida is like sticking my hand into a sharps container yet the grocery store is as safe as can be because there are stickers on the floor. And a protest? Also non-existent. This is clearly how a highly contagious virus thinks.

How ignorant it is to challenge the sources that have been lying to us forever. Surely, this story is accurate and must not be questioned.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, pcur said:

I get it now.  I hope for a wedding vow renewal on board a ship on their original wedding date, with the family!!!!

My wife and I would love an onboard wedding. 30 years ago we tried to do that on Princess but they didn't offer it then. I guess we were seduced by those Love Boat episodes.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I guess we were seduced by those Love Boat episodes.

Love Boat reruns are on weekly on Me TV here in NYC.

All I can say is if the crew acted today like the Captain, doctor, purser, bar tender and cruise director did back then, they would all have a one way ticket back home!

13 hours ago, pcur said:

You should expect to keep wearing a mask, since the latest reports are that 35% of people are saying they won't be vaccinated.  Vaccine + mask is best protection until the infection numbers are looking flat enough.

I think those numbers will drop because the vaccine will be out after the election and besides among the cruise fraternity if you want to call it that the uptake will be much before than 70%. Cruise lines will probably require the vaccination to board but how they would confirm that is uncertain. There are a number of ways that could be done apparently.

12 hours ago, bigrednole said:

For me now, March 28th to come around. These European cruises starting will be a tell-tale sign of things to come. The rapid testing the NBA is using (even though I disagree with calling it rapid) and others that are even better, will make positive changes. I have no issues taking a 10s test that is as accurate as the lab tests that take day or weeks to get back. I have a feeling as rapid testing becomes approved by the FDA, the cruise lines will agree it is necessary and plan to do it pre-cruise. 

How would they do it though? They have to consider things like boarding times and port times. If they overstay their port time they get hit with taxes and fines. How long would it take them to get back 3000 quick tests? I think they will sratch the testing and insist upon vaccine no vaccination no boarding and I think there are ways of showing you have had it. Yellow vaccination card is it?