What is it going to take to get you back on board?

I think Covid has lasted longer than most people expected.  Not only that but it is expected to start getting even worse for the fall.  People, especially in the states, have been very bad at being socially responsible.  Given all of this, what would it take for you to go back on board?  Would you take a vaccine if it was available immediately, or would you wait a number of months to make sure it is safe.  This all has implications for the viability of the cruise industry.  If there isn't a some type of solution by second quarter of next year, there may very well not be a cruise industry to go back to once things finally normalize.

I won't cruise before all of the land venues are up and running and we aren't wearing masks. If it's not safe on land than it won't be safe at sea. There is too much uncertainty with the on board experience and ports of call. If cruising doesn't return to where it left off before Covid, it will no longer be a vacation choice for me.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jstraw20 said:

The only thing that will get me back onboard is a vaccine with proven safety and efficacy. I'd rather not have to spend my vacation in a mask.

The latest information I've read is that about 35% of people won't be vaccinated, so I think masks will be around in general for a few years due to how contagious this virus is.

Personally, I can live with that.  As a matter of fact, I usually came home from a cruise over the last 5+ years with a respiratory infection, so I might just wear masks in crowded situations on board a ship anyway. 

16 minutes ago, pcur said:

The latest information I've read is that about 35% of people won't be vaccinated, so I think masks will be around in general for a few years due to how contagious this virus is.

Personally, I can live with that.  As a matter of fact, I usually came home from a cruise over the last 5+ years with a respiratory infection, so I might just wear masks in crowded situations on board a ship anyway. 

I kind of think that once available, the vaccine will be table stakes to cruise.  I'll accept that, take the vaccine and enjoy my vacation.  I think that there will be some people who won't take the vaccine and won't be able to cruise (and perhaps even fly).

Putting aside getting the virus.  I certainly wouldn't want to be quarantined in a cabin for any length of time.  

Even if the chances of getting Covid decreases greatly the chances of being quarantined at sea would still be real.  I don't think it would take many cases on a ship for that to happen.

Remember you have thousands of people stuffed on planes joining thousands of people stuffed onboard the ship.   That seems like pretty good odds of having cases on the ship.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

I kind of think that once available, the vaccine will be table stakes to cruise.  I'll accept that, take the vaccine and enjoy my vacation.  I think that there will be some people who won't take the vaccine and won't be able to cruise (and perhaps even fly).

I posted a similar statement way back in March/April.  At that time I decided we would get vaccinated before we cruises, and take proof of vaccination with us.

Personally, I don't see much difference between cruising with a vaccine and mask to braving the wilds of Costco.  I can't tell you how many people I see in Costco and other stores wearing their masks below their nose.  They just wear the mask to get in the door, and then pull it down.

My husband actually mentioned to a woman in the grocery store last week, "You know your nose is connected to your LUNGS, and that where the virus is going to go."  Can't let that man go anywhere by himself.............................

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Especially ones from Florida😇

I wish I didn't have ties to Florida. My son wants to push up his wedding from Oct 2022 to has soon as possible. My future DIL doesn't think she will have a teaching job. She was a substitute teacher in NYC last year and  they may not have a position for her this year. They want to push up the wedding so she will be able to have his health insurance. My son wants to have a civil ceremony for the legality so she can be added to his health insurance but the bride wants a wedding even if it's only 50 people. The issue is my son wants his Grandparents and his Aunt and Uncle who live in Florida to be there. So now we are in the same situation as you were in not being able to attend your moms birthday.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, compman9 said:

I am far more at risk of getting run over, or dying of flu, or pretty much anything else

So, as soon as they announce cruising, I will be back

Let's hope you don't get run over you a drunken driver!

Now over 170,000 deaths in USA

• Like 2

A few things required for us

1. logistics....need borders to be open between Canada and US and no 14 day quarantine required upon return
  2. logistics....Canadian passport offices open so we can apply for a new passport for my son (expires in the new year)
  3. Need the cruise ships to not quarantine the ship if anyone tests positive (and ports to let us return)
  4. Need covid more in control.  Doesn't have to be zero count but numbers are way to high in the States for my comfort
  5. Temperature checks and negative covid test

Not ideal, but if the above is true and covid is just part of our lives for the next while before a vaccine, then I would still travel with masks and social distancing rules in place (e.g shows, dining)

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

I think that there will be some people who won't take the vaccine and won't be able to cruise (and perhaps even fly).

Sadly, I think there will also be people who will fake their documentation.  Not sure what the answer will be to that.