The Daily for Monday Aug 24, 2020

richwmn

36 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Copper I have been following your posts since the day I first joined cruise critic. I hope to meet you someday. your photo with you dog looks a lot like a young man that used to work with me before he quit to join the LAPD hopefully as a canine officer.

Jane

Hi Jane; K-9 Detail; the best job on the Dept. 😉 I worked a happy five years with mine  :)

TPD K-9 1989 Camp San Luis Obispo.jpg

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A question for @kazu do you have to label all your bulbs so you know what they are and where to plant them in the spring?  I can't imagine keeping track of all of them!

I knew I had a pic of the two of us with Mt Vesuvius in the background; I just had to wait till the little guy was down for a nap and his older brother had gone out for a walk with his parents so I could find it.

image.thumb.jpeg.997f858e54d433e97773ced322495bea.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Great pic Gerry 🙂 

As to the bulbs, they just go in about 6 containers.

I do label and keep track of what is on bottom and what is on top in my layers and just put a note on my box.  I do label the dahlias with the green stuff you can get at the Canadian dollar store (also use it to support them), but they can fall off if a stem decides to go.

I have it down to a science and yes, it’s a bit of work but I’ve been doing it since we moved here and we replaced the deck - nearly 25 years - just stay out of my way and it gets done 😉. The key is to get the bulbs dry before it gets too cold 😉 

My biggest mistake was one year when a dear friend of Jose’s came to visit for Thanksgiving.  The dahlias were still in full bloom so despite my rule of coming down by Thanksgiving they stayed.

OMG the cold came and I was tearing around and trying to dry them in the house.  My hands were numb for days 😉 

Lesson learned.  Never again.  All the pots must be gone by Thanksgiving (Canadian one).

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Jane; K-9 Detail; the best job on the Dept. 😉 I worked a happy five years with mine  :)

TPD K-9 1989 Camp San Luis Obispo.jpg

Copper, just curious - a lot of our K-9 officers keep their dogs when they are retired.

What happened to those honourable dogs in your photo when they were retired?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I knew I had a pic of the two of us with Mt Vesuvius in the background; I just had to wait till the little guy was down for a nap and his older brother had gone out for a walk with his parents so I could find it.

image.thumb.jpeg.997f858e54d433e97773ced322495bea.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Great pic, Gerry!

• Like 2

Good evening to all.   Welcome to all the newcomers today.  Many thanks to Rich and Roy for their work on this thread.   

Tonight's sunset is from Golden Beach on Lake Michigan.  I will be there Thursday night.

Golden Beach.JPG

• Like 11

Good evening all! Welcome to all the newcomers and a great big thank you to Rich for The Daily. 

Today we celebrate my sons 21st birthday 🎁 He is our baby so now both kids are all grown. So exciting and a little sad all at the same time. 

Here’s a picture of my son and husband taken for his birthday. My husband has created a family tradition of crafting everyone their very own puke bucket for their 21st. So far he’s made  6 and has about 5 more to go before this group of kids is all grown up. The first 5 recipients put their buckets to good use. My son will use his as decoration. He has no interest in having a drink. 

Hope everyone has a great night! Dinner for us will be leftovers. 

B7F4C4A5-55C4-4BD4-89FC-C1A26A80B790.jpeg

• Like 8

This really is the  best thread on Cruise Critic, thanks to Rich and everyone for their contributions.

John, thanks for posting the crew photos,

It's good to see more CC members joining in.

Another cold wet day here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Copper, just curious - a lot of our K-9 officers keep their dogs when they are retired.

What happened to those honourable dogs in your photo when they were retired?

I don't know if they do the same with Canadian police dogs, Kazu but the vast majority of the police K-9s in the U.S. are "sold" to the handler for a nominal fee if the K-9 team (handler and dog) worked a minimum number of years on the street, usually between four and five. In other words, the city/dept. wants their money's worth which they put in (purchase) for the dog (usually about $4,000, or higher, for the initial purchase since all our dogs come from Europe, are purebreds, and are already trained and certified in their home countries through police K-9 clubs and certification trials) as well as the training of the handler (when the team goes to basic handlers school, usually three weeks long), the dog actually knows more about what he/she is doing than the brand new handler - sometimes, it stays that way during their career as a team😉)

So, in my case, I worked "Wodan" (Norse mythology, think Thor and his hammer) for five years and when he started to slow down (jumping out of the window of the police car, up and down walls, fences etc., chasing bad guys, takes its toll) and I decided to retire him, I had to pay the city the grand total of one dollar U.S. The dollar is not only to officially transfer ownership but, more importantly, to release civil liability from the city, were he/she to bite someone after he is retired (think someone making the mistake of climbing (without permission) into the backyard of a retired police dog's residence). Btw, the majority of police dogs - I'm sure that's the case in Canada also - are trained/work of the principle of "bark and alert" as opposed to "bite and bite." After graduating basic handler school, that training continues "in house" once a week and in annual recertification courses back at the kennel (in our case in Riverside, Calif.)

So, once retired, the dog then becomes a full-time pet instead of a full-time police dog/part-time pet (both the dog and police car go home at the end of a shift while he/she is still working).  They - the dogs - all have an "on" and "off" switch between being on and off-duty. When the handler takes his uniform, equipment and the dog's collar off, the internal switch in the dog's cranium is turned into the "off" position. At the beginning of the shift when I was putting my uniform, kevlar and equipment on, Wodan could sense he was going back to work and went crazy (with excitement), so to speak. Depending on their health, especially with conditions like hip dysplasia (unfortunately very common in German Shepherd working dogs), the retired K-9 can live up to several years retired as part of the family - see below pic of Wodan and our (then) little female shepherd "Jinx"   

Hope that wasn't too long winded!   

John & Maria 1989.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I don't know if they do the same with Canadian police dogs, Kazu but the vast majority of the police K-9s in the U.S. are "sold" to the handler for a nominal fee if the K-9 team (handler and dog) worked a minimum number of years on the street, usually between four and five. In other words, the city/dept. wants their money's worth which they put in (purchase) for the dog (usually about $4,000, or higher, for the initial purchase since all our dogs come from Europe, are purebreds, and are already trained and certified in their home countries through police K-9 clubs and certification trials) as well as the training of the handler (when the team goes to basic handlers school, usually three weeks long), the dog actually knows more about what he/she is doing than the brand new handler - sometimes, it stays that way during their career as a team😉)

So, in my case, I worked "Wodan" (Norse mythology, think Thor and his hammer) for five years and when he started to slow down (jumping out of the window of the police car, up and down walls, fences etc., chasing bad guys, takes its toll) and I decided to retire him, I had to pay the city the grand total of one dollar U.S. The dollar is not only to officially transfer ownership but, more importantly, to release civil liability from the city, were he/she to bite someone after he is retired (think someone making the mistake of climbing (without permission) into the backyard of a retired police dog's residence). Btw, the majority of police dogs - I'm sure that's the case in Canada also - are trained/work of the principle of "bark and alert" as opposed to "bite and bite." After graduating basic handler school, that training continues "in house" once a week and in annual recertification courses back at the kennel (in our case in Riverside, Calif.)

So, once retired, the dog then becomes a full-time pet instead of a full-time police dog/part-time pet (both the dog and police car go home at the end of a shift while he/she is still working).  They - the dogs - all have an "on" and "off" switch between being on and off-duty. When the handler takes his uniform, equipment and the dog's collar off, the internal switch in the dog's cranium is turned into the "off" position. At the beginning of the shift when I was putting my uniform, kevlar and equipment on, Wodan could sense he was going back to work and went crazy (with excitement), so to speak. Depending on their health, especially with conditions like hip dysplasia (unfortunately very common in German Shepherd working dogs), the retired K-9 can live up to several years retired as part of the family - see below pic of Wodan and our (then) little female shepherd "Jinx"   

Hope that wasn't too long winded!   

John & Maria 1989.jpg

Great pic and beautiful dogs 🙂 

Not too long winded at all Copper 😉
. Thank you.  It’s very similar as to what is done here.  Appreciate you sharing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Did Wodan have a hard time adjusting to being a retired “pet”?

For a while, yes. Then he adjusted. Then he unfortunately developed hip dysplasia, had surgery and never regained the ue of his hind legs 😪 His quality of life was gone and we decided to have him put down. Longest drive (to the vet) of my life 😔 

TPD K-9 Wodan at DAFC Crime Fair.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

For a while, yes. Then he adjusted. Then he unfortunately developed hip dysplasia, had surgery and never regained the ue of his hind legs 😪 His quality of life was gone and we decided to have him put down. Longest drive (to the vet) of my life 😔 

Never easy to say goodbye to a special friend and this case partner!  

Our first Shepherd was called Thor,  except he hated thunder!  

Our good friend was K9 in Canada,  he had a lovely dog,  if a little too bright,  he broke out of a cage when he was at the vet then got out on to the street!  

While still on the the topic of German Shepherds here's a photo of my new grand Dog! 

image.thumb.jpeg.2fa741e0ec0ec765584cf7a535013289.jpeg

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

But the most important gift you could give him. ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our good friend was K9 in Canada,  he had a lovely dog,  if a little too bright,  he broke out of a cage when he was at the vet then got out on to the street!  

While still on the the topic of German Shepherds here's a photo of my new grand Dog! 

What a good looker!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Those eyes!❤️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thank you for sharing the photos of your canine unit, the explanation of police dog procedures and the photos of your family.  Your Wodan was a beautiful dog.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1