The Daily for Monday Aug 24, 2020

richwmn

After my retirement cruise in 2015, we spent a couple of days in West Palm Beach visiting cousins. We went to the Mounts Botanical Garden one afternoon. It is at the western edge of the Palm Beach International airport. It is a pretty amazing place and they often have special exhibits. When we were there, they had quite a few elaborate Lego(tm) sculptures. I took lots of photos -

DSC_0605.thumb.JPG.374719aa08ff09e58196a07ad466a306.JPG

DSC_0611.thumb.JPG.65a331c77af886aae90feb952c8b39cd.JPG

DSC_0613.thumb.JPG.ded9995201e94fca79cd10b57af5eb98.JPG

• Like 14

Since this has become such an uplifting thread in these days of non-cruising, with Rich' permission, I was thinking about adding a daily "HAL crew" photo. Something along the lines of a "behind the scenes" pic of a crew only area such as the bridge, engine room, crew mess, officers bar, Christmas choir celebrations, crew party, port arrival stations, etc. Again, only with Rich' permission since this is "his" thread................. 

• Like 25

This thread has been an inspiration for many things for me. And in unexpected ways.  Friday was International Spumoni Day and @Vict0riann shared some pictures of her yellow peony plant. That started some fun conversation that got this brain started. And combined with newly retired time on hands, lead to this:

Dad comes to dinner and family time on Sundays. Yesterday I made veggie pizza ( wasn’t that celebrated early last week?)

(Wine was Bogel’s Red Blend- a family favorite.)

76584968-44D9-4692-84CC-7A3E3EA18CD1.jpeg

Dessert was a salute to Anne’s Peony.

B15A77F4-C41D-4D9C-9825-F90AED7D14CF.jpeg

Above is her plant: 

25C39374-90C5-4A69-A203-1043A08EF192.jpeg
Our dessert: Peonie Pies

It consisted of a lemon whoopie pie filled with ricotta cannoli filling and raspberry, pistachio flavored marscapone, and a scoop of homemade chocolate gelato, garnished with blueberries and chopped pistachios.

Its a nod to Spumoni and cannolis.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 17

26 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

This thread has been an inspiration for many things for me. And in unexpected ways.  Friday was International Spumoni Day and @Vict0riann shared some pictures of her yellow peony plant. That started some fun conversation that got this brain started. And combined with newly retired time on hands, lead to this:

Dad comes to dinner and family time on Sundays. Yesterday I made veggie pizza ( wasn’t that celebrated early last week?)

Above is her plant: 

It consisted of a lemon whoopie pie filled with ricotta cannoli filling and raspberry, pistachio flavored marscapone, and a scoop of homemade chocolate gelato, garnished with blueberries and chopped pistachios.

Wow! I am very impressed. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Above is her plant: 

What a beautiful dessert, @TiogaCruiser!  And the pizzas look amazing.  

And nice to see @Copper10-8 around.  😄

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich and Roy and all the contributions by all the Dailyites!

Love the saddle leather!  As a child, my favourite thing in the whole world was horseback riding, so any mention of the aroma of saddle leather brings back happy memories, although I'm not so sure about drinking it!

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

For those who live in SoCal, should we be digging up bulbs for the winter?

I’m thinking in terms of gladiolus. This was the first year I planted them.

I checked the zone for Southern California and it really varies.  Anywhere from 5a to 11 so you need to check what zone you are in specifically.

Gladiolus are supposed to be ok in zone 5 but, honestly, our zone is 5b and if I didn’t dig them up, I would lose them.  I would be tempted to leave a couple in and dig up the rest for this year.  If the ones left in come back, you will know it’s safe.

Our cold is a damp one here though with snow and freezing rain.  Often the temps are way below zero Celsius.

Tip - I don’t store my bulbs in vermiculite, it’s too easy to spread problems if one happens to go bad..  I use cedar chips (like the ones you buy for rabbit hutches) and apply bulb dust once I know the bulbs are throughly dry.  Hope this helps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Again, a bit late to the party - its a busy morning with 2 grandsons in the house, trying to get them fed, drink coffee, and keep the house running all at once.  Of course DH helps, but I'm always thinking about 3 steps ahead to what has to be done. 

I'm not one to go "all Vesuvius" about things, so today should go well; considering one of the toys currently residing on our living room floor, we are assured of having some pretty strange music happening around here!  I like cauliflower, but am not sure about grilling the wedges - we actually prefer it raw with a light dip.  Dinner tonight will be fried chicken - a family favourite; when it's hot, I bring the electric fry pan out onto the deck and cook away, thus not having the heat and mess in the kitchen.  It also means I get to be with everyone else during the preparation.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Happy day of celebration for others as well.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since this has become such an uplifting thread in these days of non-cruising, with Rich' permission, I was thinking about adding a daily "HAL crew" photo. Something along the lines of a "behind the scenes" pic of a crew only area such as the bridge, engine room, crew mess, officers bar, Christmas choir celebrations, crew party, port arrival stations, etc. Again, only with Rich' permission since this is "his" thread................. 

Copper, since you mentioned it - I just came across this photo from 2016 - Captain Schuchmann and associates "parking the car" (Prinsendam) in Gibraltar.  Great memories!

P1030054.thumb.jpeg.97bd2de1d7fb2e27ab72ba66cb4d3cf9.jpeg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

Copper, since you mentioned it - I just came across this photo from 2016 - Captain Schuchmann and associates "parking the car" (Prinsendam) in Gibraltar.  Great memories!

P1030054.thumb.jpeg.97bd2de1d7fb2e27ab72ba66cb4d3cf9.jpeg

Nice pic Ann - That officer looking down (with the glasses) is a fellow Canadian of yours, Staff Captain Craig Ravesloot. Looks like the captain is keeping a close eye on the junior officer doing the parking - great opportunity for that J/O to learn the ropes and get a feel of the ship. P-dam, of course, was the last HAL ship with open bridge wings so we won't get those shots anymore

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So Claudio is coming back this morning and adding some more trees and flowers. I'm tied between the black diamond crape myrtle and the twilight myrtle. Anyone have suggestions?

We have a black diamond crape myrtle in our yard and I really love it.  Of course, no two plants or gardens are the same, but for us it blooms a really long time and keeps a beautiful multi-trunk shape that looks good even after leaf-drop.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your new garden!  😊

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I don't really consider this "my" thread - it belongs to everyone. If my permission is needed, you have it and I think it would be a great addition, particularly if we get to see some of our favorite crew members.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Rich:  Thank you foe the Daily and for keeping this thread going.  The meal suggestion does nothing for me.  I might run to Chick Fillet for a quick lunch.

Please give Coper 10=8 permission to ad the photos to the page. Thank You

Himself

• Like 6

Thanks Rich for the daily report. Thanks everyone for the uplifting posts. It is so much more enjoyable to start my day reading this thread then the newspapers. I hope Copper10-8 does post some of his photos of behind the scenes and shows us things many of us have never seen on our ships that we are missing so much right now. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We have a black diamond crape myrtle in our yard and I really love it.  Of course, no two plants or gardens are the same, but for us it blooms a really long time and keeps a beautiful multi-trunk shape that looks good even after leaf-drop.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your new garden!  😊

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Rich!   Curious about the Volendam in Katakolon.  An unusual place to hang?   And Noordam heading to Cyprus!   Does that mean anything?   

Isn't that the Veendam?  I assume that's where the buyers want her.  At this point I wouldn't read too much into the Noordam's destination.  There are several Seabourn and Princess ships there.

Roy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Above is her plant: 

Love it!  Retirement agrees with your creativity!  Amazing!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Isn't that the Veendam?  I assume that's where the buyers want her.  At this point I wouldn't read too much into the Noordam's destination.  There are several Seabourn and Princess ships there.

Roy

Thanks Roy!  I guess I shouldn’t read too quickly!  

One of our favourite officers, on the Zuiderdam.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d90a21426635b21ef35509e3e982d3ca.jpeg

• Like 7

Good afternoon all, welcome to those who have joined over the past couple of days.  Our group is growing, our reputation of being the happiest place on CC is spreading.  Thanks to all who contribute and to Rich for his research.  I have had roasted Cauliflower, but not wedges.  The quote is true because reading newspapers is in decline.  Our gardens are alive with bees, butterflies, humming birds, cardinals, dragon flies and a skunk!  My best to those who are on Roy's lists.  TiogaCruiser, as others have said - in your retirement creativity has taken hold.  Love the food pictures.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, and as always thanks Rich for the Daily and Roy for the Care List.  Copper I love the idea of the crew photos, great idea!

I found some photos of the day in 2011 we hiked up the last 20 minutes to the crater of Vesuvius.  Wow, another one of those *once in a lifetime* days.  

302169_1669069743617_1817336739_n.jpg

380249_1669057503311_606591393_n.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Last week for us to drop off and pick up grands from their summer school session.  Will be interesting to see what happens on Sept. 9th....online only/hybrid/or attendance at their school.  Anyway we look at it, we will still be involved.  Looking forward to about 12 days off after Thursday!!

All the posts are a ray of sunshine for me.  Thank you everyone.  We really like cauliflower many ways...even as a pizza crust.  We are enjoying some Rose wines as it is nice and hot here.  

On the Oregon coast, we leave most of our bulbs in the ground all winter as we rarely have a bad frost.  I do need to dig my dahlias this year and do some separating of the bulbs.  Usually we are cruising when that needs to happen but not this year.  

Enjoy all the great photos.  Prayers to all.  Stay safe and well.

• Like 8