Nieuw Statendam/Koningsdam VISTA SUITES

CATandSQUID

Having stayed in both a Vista and regular balcony on KONINGSDAM, I did not see enough practical differences in size or features to justify the increased cost of the “suite”, which is a suite in name and Mariner points only.

JMO, others may disagree.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CATandSQUID said:

We are part of the Europe cruises that combined.  We are taking a suite just to have a reserved room.  Do you have pictures of the room?

Have you done a Google search for pictures of the rooms you are interested in? You would be surprised the number of pictures out there.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Don’t have a photo,  they are a little bigger than the regular balcony cabins with the bed by the window instead of the couch.   IMO not worth the cost difference.  

I agree - the biggest diffrence IMO is that the Vistas are better located for the most part,

Have stayed in Vista suites on the Koningsdam twice and both times I was disappointed in being able to hear noise from the adjoining room especially on the wall behind the bed. First time I have ever had that problem and we have almost 800 days on HAL in every class of ship. Would also agree that the overall size of the room is not much different from the balcony cabin. I like the music venues on the larger ships especially BB King and the interior design of these larger ships but the crazy crowding of the main dining room and the noise between cabins made us decide to give this class a pass.

• Like 1

A bit off topic, but we're staying in cabin 6001 and 6002 for our 2021 cruises on Koningsdam.  I'm curious why this is the cheapest category of Vista Suite, with the wraparound veranda.  I'm guessing that there is more wind and motion, but the view, especially in Alaska, seemed well worth the price.

We had 5104 on the Nieuw Statendam while on the 20 day Mediteranean Memories cruise in 2019. For that cruise, the pricing difference to a Veranda was not that much higher. Advantages are small to some but we feel add to the enjoyment. These include having an unobstructed view from the balcony and being truly midship. You do not have the lower portion of your view and photos being "orange." We also enjoy breakfast in our room. With the couch closer to the door, the steward is not required to squeeze past the bed with the tray. The additional square footage is appreciated on longer cruises.

Currently we have 6133 reserved for the Rotterdam cruise to Iceland in August/September 2021 - provided there is a vaccine and cruising has been restarted.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

A bit off topic, but we're staying in cabin 6001 and 6002 for our 2021 cruises on Koningsdam.  I'm curious why this is the cheapest category of Vista Suite, with the wraparound veranda.  I'm guessing that there is more wind and motion, but the view, especially in Alaska, seemed well worth the price.

I found these photos online. It looks as though the verandah is narrow and curved, overlooking a large forward deck area, with the sea further away, so perhaps that’s the reason? Maybe someone who actually stayed in one will weigh in. I like the square shape. The sofa appears a little smaller, but that wouldn’t matter to me.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Koningsdam&cabin=6001

Edit to add: also found a German You-tube video of 6002. It shows the solid steel lower railing rather than see-thru plexiglass, which might also affect views while sitting on the verandah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpi2x2Dsl6g

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I found these photos online. It looks as though the verandah is narrow and curved, overlooking a large forward deck area, with the sea further away, so perhaps that’s the reason? Maybe someone who actually stayed in one will weigh in. I like the square shape. The sofa appears a little smaller, but that wouldn’t matter to me.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Koningsdam&cabin=6001

We tend to pay extra for verandas on the hump, so it seems like an upgrade to me.  I found this video, seems like a decent view from the side.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We tend to pay extra for verandas on the hump, so it seems like an upgrade to me.  I found this video, seems like a decent view from the side.

I like this room shape much better than the typical long A category Vista on Pinnacle Class. You have more of a true sitting area with more generous table in front of the sofa.

18 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

A bit off topic, but we're staying in cabin 6001 and 6002 for our 2021 cruises on Koningsdam.  ..., especially in Alaska, seemed well worth the price.

Land of the Midnight Sun! If you like to sleep in a dark room, you will need to bring clips for the curtains and good eyeshades. Having daylight on two sides of the stateroom 24 hours a day may account for the lower price.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

Land of the Midnight Sun! If you like to sleep in a dark room, you will need to bring clips for the curtains and good eyeshades. Having daylight on two sides of the stateroom 24 hours a day may account for the lower price.

I must be missing something, but every HAL room I’ve ever occupied had blackout drapes for windows and sliders because the ships go to Alaska and Scandinavia. Is this particular room different? 

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2020 at 1:53 PM, shrimpboat123 said:

Not on deck 8, but in an aft facing vista suite on deck 7. Pictures are here:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/7193-koningsdam/

Thank you for these views of the aft Vista Suite.We are booked on the new Rotterdam next August in the exact same room number.Looks very nice.We're doing a 14 day Norway,Iceland,and Scotland trip,and thought it would be nice to have a little better view from the aft area. First time we've booked an aft room.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:55 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

I must be missing something, but every HAL room I’ve ever occupied had blackout drapes for windows and sliders because the ships go to Alaska and Scandinavia. Is this particular room different? 

The cabin falls under category "BC", the starter rate for all Vista Class.  Similar is true for Signature Suites "SY", which we start off in, going up the coast.  I can't imagine them not having blackout drapes, but even if so, we did fine on the Yukon cruise tour.  

I would long for a world where inside cabins were the most expensive, and Neptune Suites were the base fare, sunlight or not.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Here is a photo tour of Vista Suite #5135 on the Koningsdam.  This cabin is in the mid-ship "pop-out" section.  We received a complimentary updgrade to this suite http://travelingwiththejones.com/2017/01/28/a-look-inside-a-vista-suite-on-holland-americas-koningsdam-cruise-ship/ 

When you are upgraded to a suite, you do not get bonus Mariner Days but you do have to pay the higher daily gratuities  amount

for suite guests.

While we enjoyed the Vista Suite, it probably would not pay a premium for it over this Cat V Verandah Stateroom #5072 on the Nieuw Statendam: http://travelingwiththejones.com/2019/03/07/a-look-inside-verandah-stateroom-5072-on-holland-americas-nieuw-statendam/