Royal and NCL announce plan for return to sea

jimbo5544

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Which one? JnJ. I think they all are following people past when they got vaccine. One guy in trial said he has to check in weekly

Yes I thought it was JnJ I heard reported  on the news this morning.

Some were having concerning side effects, which probably shouldn't be surprising. Just like any other medicine, there will be adverse conditions.

Edited by beerman2

2 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Yes I thought it was JnJ I heard reported  on the news this morning.

I just heard it on tv too, very briefly. Just they were entering phase 3, nothing else. Said they were joining 3 others in phase 3.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I am currently in the phase 3 vaccine study sponsored by Pfizer.  I have had both shots in a series of 2 ( 30 days apart).  Other than injection site pain ( similar to the regular flu shot) I have had no reactions.  

But they plan on following for 2 years.  I go to see them again Oct 2.  I have to fill out a symptom "diary" daily for one week post injection, then weekly there after.

I was told not to get the yearly flu shot until after Halloween (at least 6 weeks post 2nd study injection).  They didn't want any reactions to the yearly flu shot to get confused with reactions to the covid19 vaccine.

baf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

But didn't they also say that some side effects were causing them to monitor people for 2 months.

These are the reasons they do trials and testing.  I have always thought the Oxford one was best. The thing that bothers me more than anything else is governmental agencies flexing their muscles in the late innings (like this morning).  We shall see.  

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

I am currently in the phase 3 vaccine study sponsored by Pfizer.  I have had both shots in a series of 2 ( 30 days apart).  Other than injection site pain ( similar to the regular flu shot) I have had no reactions.  

But they plan on following for 2 years.  I go to see them again Oct 2.  I have to fill out a symptom "diary" daily for one week post injection, then weekly there after.

I was told not to get the yearly flu shot until after Halloween (at least 6 weeks post 2nd study injection).  They didn't want any reactions to the yearly flu shot to get confused with reactions to the covid19 vaccine.

baf

Interesting, thanks for the info.  Will you ever grt results because you were part of the study?

On 9/21/2020 at 8:52 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I still find it interesting that Royal and Norwegian got together for this and didn’t include Carnival. I wonder if Carnival wasn’t invited or if they simply decided to do their own thing. 

As noted in the report the panel welcomed observers from:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  Cruise Line International Association (CLIA)  Carnival Cruise Line & plc  MSC Cruises( apologies philly i didnt see that your quote was replied to already)

Edited by kdr69
already replied to

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interesting, thanks for the info.  Will you ever grt results because you were part of the study?

Officially, no.  But being a retired nurse, I know the routine.  The placebo is normal saline (sterile salt water) injection.  That typically burns at the site for a minute or 2, then goes away.  The shots I got felt like a nail being driven into my arm with pain at the site 3-4 days afterward.  This reaction is very similar to the reaction I have with the yearly flu vaccine.  When I mentioned it to the nurse ( who I know BTW) she kinda grinned at told me she thought I would figure it out.  I really believe I got the trial vaccine.  Plus I was told NOT to get any further Covid19 vaccines for the next 2 years...I was told I will have access to the bloodwork ( hoping for the Oct 2 results).  That will tell me.  If the antibodies are elevated and antigen is negative, then I got the vaccine.

I am a retired dialysis nurse and this is very similar to hepatitis vaccines we gave to patients and got ourselves.  So I am very familiar with the routines😉

baf

Edited by bafinegan
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i have no issue getting test before a cruise, only issue for us is that we are in the UK and will not spend money on flights and cruise to find out we test positive 5 days before and then i'm guessing we wont get our money back and could be potentially stuck in the USA with nowhere to go for a week!

we usually cruise out of florida but travel out one week prior to the crusie to either visit another part of the US or spend a week in say orlando..... I can't realisticly see people who are travelling from overseas to join a cruise still doing that and potentially risking not getting onboard. we have a cruise booked for november 2021 and if this rule is still in place we will have to cancel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

But didn't they also say that some side effects were causing them to monitor people for 2 months.

Pretty sure that was with AstraZenica. I've read no mention of this with J&J trials. It would be fantastic if this J&J vaccine works out as it's a single dose and they can pump out a billion doses a year. Even more if other manufacturers are allowed to make it as well, for a cut. I hope they roll it out like the flu vaccine I got yesterday. Drive through, quick, included with insurance plans, and set up for mass administration/application. I'm really hoping the masks and social distancing is not necessary by April. I'm really hoping for  regular cruise conditions, especially for my kids; the kids club won't be the same otherwise. Fingers crossed on the J&J subsidiary inoculation working and being rolled out rapidly!  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

i have no issue getting test before a cruise, only issue for us is that we are in the UK and will not spend money on flights and cruise to find out we test positive 5 days before and then i'm guessing we wont get our money back and could be potentially stuck in the USA with nowhere to go for a week!

we usually cruise out of Florida but travel out one week prior to the cruise to either visit another part of the US or spend a week in say Orlando..... I can't  see people who are travelling from overseas to join a cruise still doing that and potentially risking not getting onboard. we have a cruise booked for November 2021 and if this rule is still in place we will have to cancel.

And that is probably going to be the case for a while, going in the other direction.

It will quite possibly be a case of locals cruise locally for a while.  

But I doubt it will still be a condition in Nov 2021.  By then, either there is a vaccine or there isn't, and testing will be much more rapid, accurate, and low/no cost for all, or it will have been abandoned.

My concern is the transitional period from "now" (Nov/Dec/Jan) through May 2021.  

On 9/21/2020 at 7:01 AM, K&RCurt said:

2) Still working on a strategey that doesn't rely on rapid testing that doesn't exist.

United Airlines is using a 15 minute test for flights from SFO to Hawaii.

The rapid Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 test – administered by GoHealth Urgent Care and their partner Dignity Health – provides results in approximately 15 minutes and will be available to United customers on the same day as their flight departing from SFO.

united airlines link

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 9:07 AM, bafinegan said:

Officially, no.  But being a retired nurse, I know the routine.  The placebo is normal saline (sterile salt water) injection.  That typically burns at the site for a minute or 2, then goes away.  The shots I got felt like a nail being driven into my arm with pain at the site 3-4 days afterward.  This reaction is very similar to the reaction I have with the yearly flu vaccine.  When I mentioned it to the nurse ( who I know BTW) she kinda grinned at told me she thought I would figure it out.  I really believe I got the trial vaccine.  Plus I was told NOT to get any further Covid19 vaccines for the next 2 years...I was told I will have access to the bloodwork ( hoping for the Oct 2 results).  That will tell me.  If the antibodies are elevated and antigen is negative, then I got the vaccine.

baf

Yes, just got my 2nd flu shot and pneumonia shot for the season, and I was amazed at how much my shoulder hurt for such a long time (3-4 days). I don't remember this pain in the past when getting a shot. Weird, I thought.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Someone in the 2 dose trial said the shot hurts worse than a tetanus shot. Prepare not to feel super the next day. He said 2nd shot hurt worse than the first. He had a very sore arm the next day.

and maybe that was just the placebo.

15 hours ago, mpk said:

United Airlines is using a 15 minute test for flights from SFO to Hawaii.

The rapid Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 test – administered by GoHealth Urgent Care and their partner Dignity Health – provides results in approximately 15 minutes and will be available to United customers on the same day as their flight departing from SFO.

united airlines link

https://www.darkdaily.com/abbott-labs-id-now-covid-19-rapid-molecular-test-continues-to-face-scrutiny-over-false-negatives/

On 9/25/2020 at 6:14 PM, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

That is why I like what the European lines are doing. If you test positive once, they have you test again as a back up. I think that is smart. 

The apparent issue with the Abbott Labs test is false negatives, not false positives.  i.e. you have COVID-19, but the test says you don't, so you get on board the ship or plane or whatever...

Anyway, that article is almost two months old now.  I don't see any follow up anywhere.  Would be nice to know if more info has been uncovered concerning accuracy, etc.