5 Night Infinity or 7 Night Apex?

DTL321

Hi all:

I recently booked a 5 night Infinity cruise but still wrestling with possibly changing to a 7 night Apex, thought I would get the opinions of CruiseCritic! Here is the info:

• 5 Night Western Caribbean - Infinity - Aquaclass A2
  • 7 Night Western Caribbean - Apex - Infinite Veranda E4/E3 - +$500

Some other notes:

• Utilizing FCC, so pretty much paid off the 5 night Western
  • Not too bothered about the ports, we have done Western Caribbean to tears
  • Yes we could do another itinerary but the dates "work for now"
  • We have sailed the Infinity before, loved her even though she is "rough around the edges"
  • We do enjoy Blu (seems controversial, never had an issue getting food from main dining if we really wanted it)
  • We know the Persian Garden on the Infinity is not that great
  • Getting an A2 on the Apex would be another $1,200 (which to some may not be that bad but love a good deal!)
  • Like the idea of the four main dining rooms on the Apex
  • Of course we want to try the newest and best
  • Have cruised on the current flagships of HAL and Princess, so possibly trying Celebrity to "fairly" compare?
  • This would be our first cruise in two years! It pains me that it has been that long...

So CC Community, what would you do? haha. Part of the fun is the planning phase, at least for me!

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, DTL321 said:

Hi all:

I recently booked a 5 night Infinity cruise but still wrestling with possibly changing to a 7 night Apex, thought I would get the opinions of CruiseCritic! Here is the info:

• 5 Night Western Caribbean - Infinity - Aquaclass A2
  • 7 Night Western Caribbean - Apex - Infinite Veranda E4/E3 - +$500

Some other notes:

• Utilizing FCC, so pretty much paid off the 5 night Western
  • Not too bothered about the ports, we have done Western Caribbean to tears
  • Yes we could do another itinerary but the dates "work for now"
  • We have sailed the Infinity before, loved her even though she is "rough around the edges"
  • We do enjoy Blu (seems controversial, never had an issue getting food from main dining if we really wanted it)
  • We know the Persian Garden on the Infinity is not that great
  • Getting an A2 on the Apex would be another $1,200 (which to some may not be that bad but love a good deal!)
  • Like the idea of the four main dining rooms on the Apex
  • Of course we want to try the newest and best
  • Have cruised on the current flagships of HAL and Princess, so possibly trying Celebrity to "fairly" compare?
  • This would be our first cruise in two years! It pains me that it has been that long...

So CC Community, what would you do? haha. Part of the fun is the planning phase, at least for me!

Thanks!

I would, and am doing the APEX 15 day TA in May 2021.  I am in an S3 sky suite, looks fantastic.  I really like the design of this new class of ship.  Especially no slides, go karts etc

• Like 1

Apex, hands down! She's a wonderful ship.
Though I am a bit biased, we've sailed the Edge twice, and have 2 Apex cruises booked for next year.

From your remarks, it sounds like you’re really leaning towards Apex. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons
LGW59 ❤️
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Apex, hands down! She's a wonderful ship.
Though I am a bit biased, we've sailed her twice, and have 2 more Apex cruises booked for next year.

From your remarks, it sounds like you’re really leaning towards Apex. 😉

you sailed on Apex?  Perhaps you meant Edge?  APex has not had it's inaugural sail yet.

42 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I totally get it, I do as well!  WIll be my first ever TA (I hope) ans the 8 total days at sea is calling my name!!

I just realized that we will be getting off Apex the day you will be boarding her for the TA. Those TA's are great, especially on a new ship!

Edited by C-Dragons

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Infinity.  I won’t sail on an edge class ship ever again.  

I felt Edge was spectacular in every way, perfect, of course not, but for me, brought cruising forward.  The venues, decor, awesome views from Retreat, the huge two story view from the massive wall of windows, was a wow factor for me.  Perhaps you could provide some context to why you hated it?

• Like 1

Also, do some research on reviews.  The service on this ship, Infinity, seems to be just as expected from Celebrity, very good.  Seems to need a total refurb, mildew and mold in bathrooms, balconies, lots of wear and tear etc.  Sorry, not my kind of cruise.

• Like 2

Sailed Infinity in the Med 2019.  She is in need of an upgrade, for sure.  Some public  areas of the ship and the cabins are quite outdated.  However, the food and service were very good and she is kept immaculately clean.  Think of your favourite grandmothers house........comfy.  Apex would hands down be my pick!

• Like 2

While as I said infinity needs a refurbish, staff was excellent, in last two years we sailed on her in a sky, celebrity and royal suites, sky and royal suite were in great shape , celebrity suite was in terrible shape falling apart one of the worst suites we ever sailed in. 

• Like 1

My review is available but here are some highlights...

lack of access....areas only available by steps....no steps for entering the pool (only ladder)

lack of comfortable seating In Eden and elsewhere

lack of Seating in the shade

inadequate seating in martini bar

too few interior bars

no forward-facing bar (like sky lounge)

Soulless decor

inadequate closet space

no coffee table in room 

no card room, no library

uncomfortable couch in stateroom 

inability to swivel the tv, so it can only be viewed from the bed

My list goes on and on......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

lack of access....areas only available by steps....no steps for entering the pool (only ladder)

too few interior bars

Soulless decor

inadequate closet space

no coffee table in room 

no card room, no library

well I am sure you read about the changes in E-Class before you booked.  But good on you for taking the chance to go outside your comfort zone to try a new cruisng experience!  For me, almost everything you mentioned was what made me LOVE Edge.  The decor, color schemes, Eden seating, intimate small areas to chill out at with a drink, book or just watch the ocean.  So looking forward to see how they could even possibly improve this on Apex, but from what I have seen, they did! 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

too few interior bars

Soulless decor

inadequate closet space

no coffee table in room 

no card room, no library

To the above would add wife hated the windows.  Edge - never.  Unless the itinerary mandates.  Agree we also would not consider a 5 day cruise.  Usually do B2B at least 21+ days.

46 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

To the above would add wife hated the windows.  Edge - never.  Unless the itinerary mandates.  Agree we also would not consider a 5 day cruise.  Usually do B2B at least 21+ days.

I did not stay in an IV, I had a S suite with small but more than adequate blacony, but I did visit an IV.  If it was an itinerary I def wanted, I would book it though.  Theme and layout is def different, which greatly appealed to me.  In her review though, she went on about lack of art signage, pizza to far from other food she likes at the buffett, look they have to place it somewhere, they are not going to ask us what we like so everything is exactly where we think it should be.  Too hot in one location, to warm in another, can't find a shady spot to sit in, well I did, everyday.  Obviously does not like change, E class is def a change, that I love.  The nit picking was too much IMO.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I did not stay in an IV, I had a S suite with small but more than adequate blacony, but I did visit an IV.  If it was an itinerary I def wanted, I would book it though.  Theme and layout is def different, which greatly appealed to me.  In her review though, she went on about lack of art signage, pizza to far from other food she likes at the buffett, look they have to place it somewhere, they are not going to ask us what we like so everything is exactly where we think it should be.  Too hot in one location, to warm in another, can't find a shady spot to sit in, well I did, everyday.  Obviously does not like change, E class is def a change, that I love.  The nit picking was too much IMO.  

Welcome to Celebrity, the cruise line with constant complainers.