Breakaway and Getaway on the move!

PelicanBill

Both ships, parked in Marseilles the past few months with Breakway in Dry Dock for part of it, traveled southwest and are slowly circling off the coast of Barcelona now.  Each shows an AIS destination of Marseilles, suggested they plan to return.  Perhaps a sea trial with new scrubbers or something. 

Either way, these ships aren't in cold layup if they have enough crew to sail right now, no?  Many are watching Breakway as it has a November 9 sail date for a NYC to New Orleans itinerary (which I sadly canceled out of for being too high risk.)

• Like 2

With people living on board, you also have to consider that the ship needs to sail a certain distance from shore to make fresh water (if they couldn't get potable water from shore) and to expel waste water (which I DON'T think can be done to shore) from time to time.

2 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Breakaway will be in/near Marseille at Oct 11th for engine maintenance. And that may take a while, I've read overhauling on social media from a third party mechanic.

".. und dann am 11 Oktober zur Norwegian Breakaway, nach Marseille, dort dann ganzen Motor überholen, 14V48/60CR."

Well I guess that explains why she has been staying in Marseilles but why not get it done earlier this summer in dry dock?  Odd.  

43 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Well I guess that explains why she has been staying in Marseilles but why not get it done earlier this summer in dry dock?  Odd.  

The same guy worked on Norwegian Dawn's engine(s) earlier this month, could be the contractor's schedule. Could be anything actually. :classic_wacko:

Both The Getaway and The Breakaway have been in Cold Lay Up for awhile, bare minimum crew on board ( have not heard a number lately).  Probably went out to sea to refill their water tanks and go for a short spin--like taking your car for a drive after it has set in your driveway for awhile.

No news as of now, when the Start Up Crews will arrive.  I have not heard any of my crew friends say they have orders yet. 

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

i think it is due to dry dock is a costly expensive since it cost more money the longer it is in dry dock. If the work can be performed at sea or elsewhere then that is a best option

• Like 2

If these ships were truly in cold layup they would not be able to do this short cruise. It is 2-3 weeks to certify and get going again. The ship can be moved only in an emergency with a cold layup crew. This suggests these two have been in warm layup and kept more ready than others.

https://www.*****.com/2020/08/20/what-does-it-mean-when-cruise-ship-goes-cold-lay

8 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Both ships, parked in Marseilles the past few months with Breakway in Dry Dock for part of it, traveled southwest and are slowly circling off the coast of Barcelona now.  Each shows an AIS destination of Marseilles, suggested they plan to return.  Perhaps a sea trial with new scrubbers or something. 

Either way, these ships aren't in cold layup if they have enough crew to sail right now, no?  Many are watching Breakway as it has a November 9 sail date for a NYC to New Orleans itinerary (which I sadly canceled out of for being too high risk.)

Wow thank you I am scheduled on the Breakaway out of New Orleans for November 22. 

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

If these ships were truly in cold layup they would not be able to do this short cruise.

Correct, cold layup is a step short of decommissioning the ship.  NCL was noted previously as moving some ships to COOL layup, but they still likely wouldn't be capable of these short trips if they had cool layup crew levels on board.

I'm scheduled for a cruise out of NOLA on the Breakaway in January. Received a confirmation summary in my email this past Saturday asking me to "review for accuracy." Hoping that means that they think it may happen. I sure hope so. I need some good news. Alternatively looking at flying to Puerto Rico and getting a room near the beach with a balcony.

• 3 weeks later...