Who doesn't love a typo!?

CineGraphic

On 10/9/2020 at 10:15 PM, Thrak said:

How about the word unique?  I often hear people say "most unique" "very unique" "especially unique", "more unique" "kind of unique", etc. Unique is a stand alone word. You can't be "more one of a kind". Unique doesn't fit with modifiers.

I tend to think that words such as unique, fastest et cetera are superlatives. Notice the spelling of this gives an abbreviation etc. not ect. as most people mispronounce the root.

Knife and fork are a non-reversible word pair, the same as nooks and crannies.   Interestingly the latter pair are indistinguishable.  If you get these the wrong way round we know you are foreign.

Regards John

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In order to test your theory, I had to find such a sentence and decided it was easier just to write my own. 

It is necessary to assemble the pieces of an IKEA furniture item in order to have a successful outcome. 

You must follow the steps in order or your application will be denied.

Perfect! Thank you! I was sure there was some use of "in order" that makes sense. Mostly though, it's useless.

In order to accept this awe some thread and irregardless of what Me and the wife have done seen other’s wrote, I like plan to except others’s writing styles. I should of done it in the passed, but in some and for some most unique reason I couldn’t.  

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, john watson said:

It irritates me when people use the incorrect spelling for; your, you're and yaw or fair, fare and fayre.

Regards John

Where I live, yaw isn’t even pronounced remotely like you and/or you’re; maybe you have some unusual regional diphthongs?

Not often you see the word fayre being using.  Along with those diphthongs are you still using Chaucerian style English in your local newspapers?

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Where I live, yaw isn’t even pronounced remotely like you and/or you’re; maybe you have some unusual regional diphthongs?

I cannot understand why there should be regional variation in pronunciations of a technical word such as yaw.  We are talking about the the change in attitude of an aircraft or ship about azimuth i.e. in relation to a vertical axis.  Do people where you live mention this a lot?

Regards John

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, john watson said:

I cannot understand why there should be regional variation in pronunciations of a technical word such as yaw.  We are talking about the the change in attitude of an aircraft or ship about azimuth i.e. in relation to a vertical axis.  Do people where you live mention this a lot?

Regards John

I’m aware of what yaw is and how we pronounce it in Canada; it certainly wouldn’t be mistaken for your and/or you’re as there is no ‘r’ sound at all and why somebody would mistakenly and purposely type it is beyond me.

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Regards John

The way you associated yaw with your and you're confused me at first. I too was wondering if it was a regional word.

I got a good chuckle when you pointed out it's a different word entirely, one that I definitely know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

The way you associated yaw with your and you're confused me at first. I too was wondering if it was a regional word.

I got a good chuckle when you pointed out it's a different word entirely, one that I definitely know.

Evidently, I’m not on the same board (not bored) as others.  I can see examples of misused words (or typos if you like) for groups such as: four, for, fore; there, their, they’re.  How yaw gets mixed in with your and you’re escapes me, might as well have used yawn.  I would have thought you’d include the word yore in that.  Anyway, time for me to have a cup of tea and let this go.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I’m aware of what yaw is and how we pronounce it in Canada; it certainly wouldn’t be mistaken for your and/or you’re as there is no ‘r’ sound at all and why somebody would mistakenly and purposely type it is beyond me.

I have no idea how people pronounce yaw in Canada, to English people speaking English; your, you're and yaw are all homophones.  The same is true of boys, buoys and Bois but Americans seem to pronounce buoys completely differently do Canadians fall in line with the British or Americans?

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, john watson said:

I have no idea how people pronounce yaw in Canada, to English people speaking English; your, you're and yaw are all homophones.  The same is true of boys, buoys and Bois but Americans seem to pronounce buoys completely differently do Canadians fall in line with the British or Americans?

Regards John

I’ve heard buoys pronounced like boys but that isn’t the way I pronounce it.  As for bois, to me that’s a French word and I don’t pronounce it anything like the other two, especially no ‘s’ sound.

I think we are not going to solve the difference in spelling and pronunciation on these boards but I like to put my 2 cents (or any currency) in.

For instance;

• Colour or color
  • Flavor or flavour
  • Roof to me sounds like "Ruff" in the US
  • Knight--night they both sound the same to me. (I know, different meaning).

Anyway, I enjoy this tread; it teaches me some proper English/Canadian/American etc.

Theo

• Like 1

When I was working (I taught nursing), we always taught the students to quote what the patient said to them. I frequently saw - she said "her stomach hurts". I cannot remember ever hearing a person call themselves "her" or "him". My other vexation was when they did not see the difference between a lot and allot.

Edited by katisdale
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

In order to accept this awe some thread and irregardless of what Me and the wife have done seen other’s wrote, I like plan to except others’s writing styles. I should of done it in the passed, but in some and for some most unique reason I couldn’t.  

Thank you for the much needed laugh!

22 minutes ago, katisdale said:

My other vexation was when they did not see the difference between a lot and allot.

That would be a serious error to make in nursing! Did any serious injuries or deaths result due to that error at the institution you worked?

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I’ve heard buoys pronounced like boys but that isn’t the way I pronounce it.  As for bois, to me that’s a French word and I don’t pronounce it anything like the other two, especially no ‘s’ sound.

I understand bois means "wood" in the forest sense, from the French.  There is a place in England called Theydon Bois, pronounced boys and I have always thought it amusing that there must have been a small gang of lads who thought of themselves as the Theydon Bois boys.

There is a place in Cambridgeshire called "Over" near the old military airfield Duxford.  It must have been strange on the radio to keep saying over at the end of your transmission. This could easily give rise to a comms call of "I am flying over Over over"

"Who would do such a thing?"   Edward Woodward would in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

I think we are not going to solve the difference in spelling and pronunciation on these boards but I like to put my 2 cents (or any currency) in.

For instance;

• Colour or color
  • Flavor or flavour
  • Roof to me sounds like "Ruff" in the US
  • Knight--night they both sound the same to me. (I know, different meaning).

Anyway, I enjoy this tread; it teaches me some proper English/Canadian/American etc.

Theo

US and UK spellings differ but I see both as correct. I actually have an issue with the US spelling "behavior" as it makes more sense to me to spell it "behaviour" like it's spelled elsewhere.

A regional quirk I will never understand is the saying to stand "on line" rather than "in line" or "in a line". Standing "on line" always makes me think there should be an actual line painted on the ground or the floor.

We have different pronunciations of words that are the names of cities even though they look the same when written.  The capital of South Dakota is spelled "Pierre" which one would assume is pronounced
"pee-air" the same as the French name but is actually pronounced "peer" or "pier". There is a city in Florida named Miami which is pronounced "my-am-eeee" and there is a city in Oklahoma named Miami which is pronounced "mi-am-uh".  Then there is the city of Norfolk, Virginia. To remember how to pronounce that one there is a little ditty that goes, "We are the girls of Norfolk. We don't drink, we don't smoke, Norfolk. Norfolk.

Edited by Thrak

46 minutes ago, Thrak said:

US and UK spellings differ but I see both as correct. I actually have an issue with the US spelling "behavior" as it makes more sense to me to spell it "behaviour" like it's spelled elsewhere.

A regional quirk I will never understand is the saying to stand "on line" rather than "in line" or "in a line". Standing "on line" always makes me think there should be an actual line painted on the ground or the floor.

We have different pronunciations of words that are the names of cities even though they look the same when written.  The capital of South Dakota is spelled "Pierre" which one would assume is pronounced
"pee-air" the same as the French name but is actually pronounced "peer" or "pier". There is a city in Florida named Miami which is pronounced "my-am-eeee" and there is a city in Oklahoma named Miami which is pronounced "mi-am-uh".  Then there is the city of Norfolk, Virginia. To remember how to pronounce that one there is a little ditty that goes, "We are the girls of Norfolk. We don't drink, we don't smoke, Norfolk. Norfolk.

Check out this site - http://www.tekstlab.uio.no/cambridge_survey/maps.  It is fascinating.

BTW, the town of Hurricane UT is pronounced Hurrcane w/o an "i" for some reason.

DON

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

BTW, the town of Hurricane UT is pronounced Hurrcane w/o an "i" for some reason.

DON

I think the pronunciations of towns is part of local dialects, 'twang' etc. Just as the 'i' being softened  in Hurricane.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:44 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

their, they're, there...OUCH

pleaded instead of plead...do you say bleeded instead of bled?

passed, past

Makes wanna be editors gnash their teeth.:classic_wink:

Pleaded is the standard past tense of plead.

"When asked for my plea, I pleaded guilty." I then pled for mercy????

I worked for an unnamed agency that printed hundreds of summones  with the words "quilt" and "quilty" .  They were destroyed.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Pleaded is the standard past tense of plead.

"When asked for my plea, I pleaded guilty." I then pled for mercy????

I worked for an unnamed agency that printed hundreds of summones  with the words "quilt" and "quilty" .  They were destroyed.

I referred to the Oxford Dictionary which states

Pled is past and past participle of plead.