Who doesn't love a typo!?

CineGraphic

This comment ended up hidden in its original form. Hence the strange spelling

Most people confuse gender and s3x.

It annoys me when forms have a field for s3x when it should be gender.

Male and Female are genders.

S3x is more to do with reproduction and in some species pair bonding.

Unfortunately over the years I have seen this error even occurring among persons that have been trained in a profession that should have correct knowledge of this matter.

Edited by brisalta

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

This is a huge annoyance. My wife and I cringe when we see or hear this.

Hi Thrak:

If we ever sail together again (we sailed with you on the 2019 Emerald TA), I would love to get together and talk grammar ( as well as other topics.)

Ira

9 hours ago, generichandle said:

No no; the either or is maybe/always.

Are you referring to what was originally in my post?

If so kudos to you for that evolutionary statement 😉

It does not contradict my earlier response to carbill as the question is ambiguous. It could refer to the act or the distinguishing factor in reproductive strategies in various species.

Edited by brisalta

The other typo I quite often see is the misuse of were and where.

Has Princess ever had any word based games as entertainment?  I have only come across trivia games on board of the most trivial form.

Edited by brisalta

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

Are you referring to what was originally in my post?

If so kudos to you for that evolutionary statement 😉

It does not contradict my earlier response to carbill as the question is ambiguous. It could refer to the act or the distinguishing factor in reproductive strategies in various species.

Exactly

I love the English language! There are more kinds of fun to be had from it than any of the 'more exact' languages. With so many words that sound alike but are totally different, or the are quite different but mean the same thing, it lends itself to all manner of humor. Of course, it begs for that highest of humor formats, the PUN! There is not another language that so begs for puns. And of course, to those of us who take joy in puns, we know with certainty that the more tortured the pun is, the greater the hilarity!

Doug

19 hours ago, ischeer said:

Hi Thrak:

If we ever sail together again (we sailed with you on the 2019 Emerald TA), I would love to get together and talk grammar ( as well as other topics.)

Ira

You want my wife not me. She was the English major.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:07 PM, Thrak said:

People should really learn when to use "I" and when to use "me". So often people use "I" when they should really use "me". It's one of the simplest rules of grammar. Just leave the other person out of the sentence and see if it makes sense.

Would you like to go to the store with Susan and I?  > Would you like to go to the store with I?  Nope, nope, nope.

Would you like to go to the store with Susan and me? >  Would you like to go to the store with me?  YES

Susan and me are going to the store. >  Me am going to the store. Nope, nope, nope.

Susan and I are going to the store. > I am going to the store. YES

I appreciate your focus on grammar here, but if I were you, I'd be more concerned about whether or not your wife finds out  about Susan . . .  .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Alright, while we're having so much fun, "in order" is pretty much useless. Take any sentence containing "in order", remove it and see if it still works.

In order to test your theory, I had to find such a sentence and decided it was easier just to write my own. 

It is necessary to assemble the pieces of an IKEA furniture item in order to have a successful outcome. 

You must follow the steps in order or your application will be denied.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In order to test your theory, I had to find such a sentence and decided it was easier just to write my own. 

It is necessary to assemble the pieces of an IKEA furniture item in order to have a successful outcome. 

You must follow the steps in order or your application will be denied.

The "in order" in red can have two meanings.

One is to do the steps exactly in the sequence they are given. If you do not, you will not have a successful outcome.

Second meaning for "in order" says assembling the pieces results in a successful outcome.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Although not a spelling nor necessarily a grammatical error, depending on context, the overuse of the word "like" with certain younger generations, drives me bonkers. 

GET OFF MY LAWN !!

like, chill Gramps 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

The "in order" in red can have two meanings.

One is to do the steps exactly in the sequence they are given. If you do not, you will not have a successful outcome.

Second meaning for "in order" says assembling the pieces results in a successful outcome.

Precisely why I made up that example.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:28 AM, beg3yrs said:

Alright, while we're having so much fun, "in order" is pretty much useless. Take any sentence containing "in order", remove it and see if it still works.

I think 'in order' used correctly, amplifies a sentence. It suggests 'why' something was done.

'In order to protect my new clothes, I stayed in out of the rain'.  Hmm, maybe you are right, if you delete 'in order' it is still explanatory !