Who doesn't love a typo!?

CineGraphic

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I think the pronunciations of towns is part of local dialects, 'twang' etc. Just as the 'i' being softened  in Hurricane.

Twang got me. My wife has a neice who lives in Kentucky. She was visiting last year and told me a "Kentucky joke".

Q: What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

A: A violin has strings. A fiddle's got strangs.

Local speech patterns are awesome. There was a Clint Eastwood movie (Honkytonk Man) where he was a country singer trying to get to Nashville to record some songs. He asked a local guy where the bus left from and the answer was, "ryecheere". He didn't understand so asked the guy again who then pointed to the ground at his feet and repeated, "ryecheere". That time he understood that the guy was saying, "right here". I looked like a total dork when I asked someone in Florida what the heck was being advertised on a sign. The sign said, "chitterlings" so I asked what the heck "chitterlings" was. The person i was asking laughed and said, "You don't know what chitlin's are?). D'Oh! We have nautical terms like: Botswain (Bosun), Cockswain (coxsun),  etc.

Language is endlessly fascinating. (Yes, I'm weird.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Botswain (Bosun), Cockswain (coxsun),  etc.

We have an annual Intervarsity Boat Race on the Thames every year in England.  Commonly referred to as the University Boat Race or Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.  They have eight rowers in each boat plus an extra crewmember to call the stroke and steer.  Their rowlocks are mounted on frames wide of the hull and each member rests his single oar in that  Generally speaking to win you need eight hefty rowers (the Ait) with the smallest cox.  A small island in a river is sometimes called an Ait too.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Renmar said:

I think we are not going to solve the difference in spelling and pronunciation on these boards but I like to put my 2 cents (or any currency) in.

For instance;

• Colour or color
  • Flavor or flavour
  • Roof to me sounds like "Ruff" in the US
  • Knight--night they both sound the same to me. (I know, different meaning).

Anyway, I enjoy this tread; it teaches me some proper English/Canadian/American etc.

Theo

I worked with Americans for years, including in the USA.  I set my Windows PC to US English and rarely, if ever, put the "u's" in words like color, flavor, etc.  They appear needlessly long to me now with a "u", but that is the British English version for sure, which is traditionally adopted in Canada. 

One thing that drives me bonkers is the DD/MM/YY(YY) date format, which is popular in Europe and Quebec - not to mention Australia - but also had been used in the past a lot by Canadian banks (they now most often use the unmistakable YYYY-MM-DD for the most part from what I see in modern times).  I find it very confusing seeing something like 4/5/20 to know if the person meant April 5 or May 4.  There is never a question in the USA.  I would favor a more universal adoption of the YYYY-MM-DD format.   Some US-based websites insist on changing their date format to DD/MM/YY when they see the user is in Canada and I think to my PC - "But I am not in Quebec".  Oh well.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

A regional quirk I will never understand is the saying to stand "on line" rather than "in line" or "in a line". Standing "on line" always makes me think there should be an actual line painted on the ground or the floor.

This makes me think of areas outside stores where lines were marked on the ground to manage line-ups due to COVID capacity restrictions (we don't see these line ups much anymore around our town). 

Anyway, people are standing in line and some stand on the lines and some stand between the lines.  Not clear always what the social etiquette should be.  I had thought it logical to stand on the lines as they are set six feet apart.  Standing between the lines can result in a variance (if one is a stickler for distance, for which I am not).  What is particularly a pain is the line moving ahead and you think the person in front is going to proceed to the next line on the sidewalk, and they stop suddenly, before the line, and you are heading up to your line in anticipation, but that becomes a step to far.  

Hopefully I threw enough lines in there about lines and steps to stir the pot.  😉

Spacing out on line or behind the line reminds me of sections of motorway in the UK where a number of rear end traffic collisions have occurred.  The traffic authorities mark out large chevrons on each lane about 100 yards apart and road signs indicate you must be two chevrons behind the driver in front of you for safety purposes. There are huge signs saying keep two chevrons behind the driver ahead of you.  This all seems easy to do until a Lamborghini driver overtakes you then you have to accelerate like mad to stop him getting three ahead.

Lol John

23 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Check Webster and Black's Law Dictionary.

As soon as California falls off.

I looked at Black's Law Dictionary and it used pled.

Webster is a terrible limited dictionary.

Your sense of geography is terrible. For Colorado to have a coast Utah and Nevada would also need to fall into the Pacific.

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

We have different pronunciations of words that are the names of cities even though they look the same when written.  The capital of South Dakota is spelled "Pierre" which one would assume is pronounced
"pee-air" the same as the French name but is actually pronounced "peer" or "pier". There is a city in Florida named Miami which is pronounced "my-am-eeee" and there is a city in Oklahoma named Miami which is pronounced "mi-am-uh".  Then there is the city of Norfolk, Virginia. To remember how to pronounce that one there is a little ditty that goes, "We are the girls of Norfolk. We don't drink, we don't smoke, Norfolk. Norfolk.

Houston Street in NYC is pronounced 'how-stun' but the city in Texas is 'Hue-stun.'

Worcester, Massachusetts is pronounced 'Wu-stir' 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:27 AM, Cruise Raider said:

This can be taken wrong but, I saw a post on here once that I couldn't believe what I was reading.  I had to read it to my DH to see if I interpreted it correctly.  We both started laughing hysterically when we figured it out what the post was describing!!  

I will just say this much about the post:  Someone was disgusted when a woman got into the hot tub with sores all over her body and commented on them.  Take it from me, who has had a career in healthcare ... the adjective used to describe a lot of pus from a sore is 'purulent', not the word the commenter used to describe the sores they saw.  How could they know ... she was, after all, wearing a bathing suit. I will leave it at that!  

I had a woman get in the hot tub with visible psoriasis which you cannot catch. I thanked her for clearing out the hot tub gave us much more room! We had a great time relaxing and talking and laughing I also suffer from this but you could not see mine! We both giggled that they had been in the hot tub with me before her! Grow up people she said if they asked she would have been happy to explain.

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

I had a woman get in the hot tub with visible psoriasis which you cannot catch. I thanked her for clearing out the hot tub gave us much more room! We had a great time relaxing and talking and laughing I also suffer from this but you could not see mine! We both giggled that they had been in the hot tub with me before her! Grow up people she said if they asked she would have been happy to explain.

I'm sorry, but irregardless, I don't understand where is a typo or grammar issue here?

Edited by Daniel A

16 hours ago, brisalta said:

I looked at Black's Law Dictionary and it used pled.

Webster is a terrible limited dictionary.

Your sense of geography is terrible. For Colorado to have a coast Utah and Nevada would also need to fall into the Pacific.

Your sense of fluid dynamics is terrible. When California goes, the Pacific will reach the Rockies. Nevada and Utah will be under water. Aspen will be the surfing capitol of the country.😁

Edited by Colorado Coasty
Typo
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Your sense of fluid dynamics is terrible. When California goes, the Pacific will reach the Rockies. Nevada and Utah will be under water. Aspen will be the surfing capitol of the country.😁

The very first time I ever entered  the state of Arizona, it was on a Princess  ship.

Edited by Daniel A

On 10/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, Thrak said:

No one seems to even notice the misplaced apostrophe in "man's".  There should not be an apostrophe there! Of course, here on CC the misplaced apostrophe is endemic. Words such as "menus" are often typed as "menu's" for some bizarre reason Plural items do not have an apostrophe. Only possessive items have an apostrophe. Then there is using "then" when it should be "than". GAH!!!

Sorry, things like this make me crazy. It's really bad when I read the local newspaper. Apparently copy editing is a thing of the past. Typos, grammatical errors, use of completely wrong words. It's amazing. I guess it could be summed up using the modern "equivalent" (HAH!) of grammar: It is "teh suq" (No, that is not misspelled.)

The apostrophe in "man's" is correct.... It's possessive, not plural.

Reviving this thread to ask an etiquette question. I assume it is impolite to point out a grammatical error, right ? Just saw a post  where the poster confused There and Their. I have always resisted suggesting a correction but this thread did open up a broad discussion. My thought is to educate rather than criticize. As an ex-brit I sometimes have problems with S and Z and am happy that spellchecker just showed me how to spell 'criticize' 🙂

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Reviving this thread to ask an etiquette question. I assume it is impolite to point out a grammatical error, right ? Just saw a post  where the poster confused There and Their. I have always resisted suggesting a correction but this thread did open up a broad discussion. My thought is to educate rather than criticize. As an ex-brit I sometimes have problems with S and Z and am happy that spellchecker just showed me how to spell 'criticize' 🙂

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

There are 2 reasons that you can not correct spelling and/or grammar.  1) It is not allowed under the CC user rules; 2) for some of the people who post on CC, English is not their native language so they are doing the best that they can when posting.

DON

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:07 PM, Thrak said:

I looked like a total dork when I asked someone in Florida what the heck was being advertised on a sign. The sign said, "chitterlings" so I asked what the heck "chitterlings" was. The person i was asking laughed and said, "You don't know what chitlin's are?). D'Oh! We have nautical terms like: Botswain (Bosun), Cockswain (coxsun),  etc.

Language is endlessly fascinating. (Yes, I'm weird.)

Reminds me of the time I was working in a lab in Memphis, TN. I was the only woman in the lab.

The guys were arranging a potluck that would feature "Rocky Mountain Oysters". I asked what they were and the guys told me to "ask your husband". Guess they were too embarrassed to explain it to me.

I skipped the lunch.:classic_blush:

And no, you're not weird. I love language, too.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2020 at 9:32 PM, donaldsc said:

There are 2 reasons that you can not correct spelling and/or grammar.  1) It is not allowed under the CC user rules; 2) for some of the people who post on CC, English is not their native language so they are doing the best that they can when posting.

DON

Good response, thanks.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 11:51 PM, Thrak said:

A regional quirk I will never understand is the saying to stand "on line" rather than "in line" or "in a line". Standing "on line" always makes me think there should be an actual line painted on the ground or the floor.

If one were organising people in a public area in the UK, we never refer to lines but queues.  In this way as well as using a wider vocabulary and a multitude of idioms generally subtle messages can be inserted into what we say to convey more than one meaning, double entendre.  If more than one queue were being filled by an operative we could direct an unruly person to the furthest queue by saying things such as "Far queue sir, far queue."

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

As my brother would say, "It's a small mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

Interesting grammar article...

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20160908-the-language-rules-we-know-but-dont-know-we-know

Since this thread began by talking about actual typos, my favorite on this site was from a Carnival roll call:

"My husband wants to go bang out by the pool after we grab lunch.."

Sean

• Haha 1