Throw Back Thursday - Pier Runners Left Behind

Chesneygirl

Sorry I'm a little late posting today…we had a terrible wind storm come through last night that caused a power outage. We just got it got it back a few hours ago!

Most of you may have seen this video when it first came out but what you may not know is that I was the one who captured  the video of this couple when it happened.

Please no flaming…lets be nice!  :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Chesneygirl said:

Sorry I'm a little late posting today…we had a terrible wind storm come through last night that caused a power outage. We just got it got it back a few hours ago!

Most of you may have seen this video when it first came out but what you may not know is that I was the one who captured  the video of this couple when it happened.

Please no flaming…lets be nice!  🙂

Couple's famous last words at the bar in town: "We can have one more....we've got plenty of time!".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chesneygirl said:

No worries, we got the same storm around 4 PM yesterday.  Moved across the area at speeds approaching 105 MPH with peak wind gusts at 68!  My parents were without power for 24 hours.

I'll add a pic of some pier runners in Puerto Vallarta last year.

IMG_3184.jpeg

• Like 2

“The boat won’t leave without us”.... not

We were on the Jewel a few years back doing the Mexican Rivera. There were three groups of “pier runners” when we were leaving Cabo. Now, Cabo is a tender port. And pier runners have to pay a water taxi around $100 to get them out to the ship and hope and pray that the captain will allow them to board. We had pulled anchor and the ship was turning for departure when the last group arrived and bobbed in the wake waiting for permission to approach. They were allowed to board, but they were somewhat manhandled to get them from their small boat into the tender door. 

• Like 4

When this all took place, we were on the Bliss docked next to the Symphony of the Seas. We could hear their names being called out repeatedly for a good 30 minutes before they decided to lift the gang way. So I knew to get my camera ready because at some point this couple would be showing up! 

Some fun facts that I learned after the video was released...

- Turns out the woman in the video was a famous actress from Costa Rica

- They were on their honeymoon

- Luckily they were on the last full day of their cruise, the ship was headed back to Miami the next day

- They had to buy one way tickets back to Miami so they could meet the ship the next day to collect their belongings

I later read from an interview that she gave, that they boarded a plane back to Miami in their swimsuits (as seen in the video) the same day this happened. They were able to stay with family in Miami and went to Target to buy some clothes.  She said it took hours and hours the next day to collect their belongings from RCL. They had to wait for the entire ship to disembark and then were not allowed to reboard. The crew packed up all of their belongings and brought it out to them. 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, Chesneygirl said:

When this all took place, we were on the Bliss docked next to the Symphony of the Seas. We could hear their names being called out repeatedly for a good 30 minutes before they decided to lift the gang way. So I knew to get my camera ready because at some point this couple would be showing up! 

Some fun facts that I learned after the video was released...

- Turns out the woman in the video was a famous actress from Costa Rica

- They were on their honeymoon

- Luckily they were on the last full day of their cruise, the ship was headed back to Miami the next day

- They had to buy one way tickets back to Miami so they could meet the ship the next day to collect their belongings

I later read from an interview that she gave, that they boarded a plane back to Miami in their swimsuits (as seen in the video) the same day this happened. They were able to stay with family in Miami and went to Target to buy some clothes.  She said it took hours and hours the next day to collect their belongings from RCL. They had to wait for the entire ship to disembark and then were not allowed to reboard. The crew packed up all of their belongings and brought it out to them. 

I find it interesting that the ship left with their belongings still onboard. I had heard (and seen) that the crew pack up the cabin and leave the passengers' belongings with the port authorities. I know I have seen something that looks like this a few times with what I assumed were passengers were left behind or chose to stay behind. I have definitely seen then loading up luggage onto a shuttle, cab, or golf cart as they are still calling out names just before departure.

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I find it interesting that the ship left with their belongings still onboard. I had heard (and seen) that the crew pack up the cabin and leave the passengers' belongings with the port authorities.

I didn't see luggage removed from the ship in Puerto Vallarta (oddly enough, that was also the Bliss but this time the pier runners were from the Bliss), and you don't see any next to the golf cart with the "runners".

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I find it interesting that the ship left with their belongings still onboard. I had heard (and seen) that the crew pack up the cabin and leave the passengers' belongings with the port authorities. I know I have seen something that looks like this a few times with what I assumed were passengers were left behind or chose to stay behind. I have definitely seen then loading up luggage onto a shuttle, cab, or golf cart as they are still calling out names just before departure.

The couple gave an interview after this had happened. This is what she had to say...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/stranded-honeymooners-reveal-nightmare-moment-their-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-ditched-them/T7ZFQKYQPKOKVRIHJEZMKFQXGI/

1 hour ago, Chesneygirl said:

The couple said that the ship left 2 hours earlier than they expected. I find that hard to believe and if it was indeed true and the ships had changed the departure time (especially making it 2 hrs earlier), the ship's crew would have ensured all passengers were notified of this change way in advance. I still think they lost track of time at the bar celebrating their new marriage.

24 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

The couple said that the ship left 2 hours earlier than they expected. I find that hard to believe and if it was indeed true and the ships had changed the departure time (especially making it 2 hrs earlier), the ship's crew would have ensured all passengers were notified of this change way in advance. I still think they lost track of time at the bar celebrating their new marriage.

I do find some of their explanation a little iffy…It was also said back at the time,  on the RCL CC boards that the people on that sailing were notified in October that there was going to be a change to their port time. That letter/email was sent 4 months before the actual sailing. Plus isn't it funny that the other 5998 passengers all managed to get back in time. I know they said there were others but honestly we never saw anyone else get left behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, farmersfight said:

We were in Bermuda on our second ever cruise.  We were on a beach and heard a ship's horn blowing numerous times.  This was before the age of cell phones, btw.  A beach worker ran up to us and said "you'd better hurry - your ship is leaving."  He knew we were from the ship due to the color of the towels we were laying on.  We hopped on our scooters and got back to the ship in time.  Found out we were leaving early because a hurricane changed paths and was heading our way.  No advance notice was given.  However - I definitely think the above couple missed the ship due to their own error - not the ship's!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Found out we were leaving early because a hurricane changed paths and was heading our way.  No advance notice was given.

Yeah, this type of special circumstance (a hurricane changing path) could definitely cause a ship to depart early and subsequently not be able to notify all the passengers. Where there other passengers from your ship that were caught in the same predicament (due to the lack of advance notification of the early departure)?

48 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, this type of special circumstance (a hurricane changing path) could definitely cause a ship to depart early and subsequently not be able to notify all the passengers. Where there other passengers from your ship that were caught in the same predicament (due to the lack of advance notification of the early departure)?

No idea.  This was around 36 years ago, and we were young and naive.  Had a porthole cabin (do only balconies now as we are older, wiser, and wealthier - lol) so couldn't sit on our balcony as we do now to watch "the show" of pier runners.  And they didn't make announcements then as they do now requesting guests call in to guest services. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:47 PM, atanac said:

Fall on the floor hilarious. We always grab a drink and hang out at sailaway hoping for moments like these.

REALLY?  You HOPE that that someone gets left behind?  It would be so fitting if this happened to you several times coming up for an attitude like that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

REALLY?  You HOPE that that someone gets left behind?  It would be so fitting if this happened to you several times coming up for an attitude like that!

On the flip-side, people being left behind (and having it recorded and posted online) is an excellent deterrent for future cruisers from doing the same.  

In a perfect world, there would be no pier runners and nobody would get left behind. Everyone would be responsible enough to get back to the ship when they are supposed to be back but until then.....enjoy the show. 😊

• Like 8

5 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I thought the same. I have witnessed a similar scenario and I was stressed out and sad for the people who were left behind. Yes, they should have been back to the port on time but that's no excuse to be gleeful and take pleasure in other's misfortune. And posting this video twice with so many "fun facts" about the couple? How invasive. Pretty sure no one cares if the woman had to buy clothes at Target to get by. Oh what am I thinking? That's supposed to be funny and teach her a lesson as well.🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the massive "NEW CRUISE VIDEO" in bright pink font this is clearly a means to drive YouTube traffic and revenue.  

Today I learned I can launch a YouTube channel and use CC to bombard threads with "watch my video" links to earn money.  Gotta love a free capitalistic society.  I'll be be glad to click but before I do, what do I get?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

With the massive "NEW CRUISE VIDEO" in bright pink font this is clearly a means to drive YouTube traffic and revenue.  

Today I learned I can launch a YouTube channel and use CC to bombard threads with "watch my video" links to earn money.  Gotta love a free capitalistic society.  I'll be be glad to click but before I do, what do I get?

You don't have to click or watch anything. People have been earning money from YT videos for years, where have you been?

If your going to be late and miss your ship you need to be tough, absolutely no excuse for missing the ship

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

On the flip-side, people being left behind (and having it recorded and posted online) is an excellent deterrent for future cruisers from doing the same.  

In a perfect world, there would be no pier runners and nobody would get left behind. Everyone would be responsible enough to get back to the ship when they are supposed to be back but until then.....enjoy the show. 😊

That is not the same as HOPING it happens to someone!

• Like 1