We are back in business!

KennyFla

7 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

The CDC lifted the no sail order today, contingent on the cruise lines following the protocal:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246754076.html

Happy Day!

It's a start.  There are some heavy logistics there re: facilities.

As an aside, love the headline ~ 

CDC lifts cruise ban, says companies can restart once they prove COVID-19 protocols work

Try that "theoretical" shoe (they don't have jurisdiction intra state as such) on the other foot ~

CDC lifts COVID-19 lockdowns, says can impose once they prove work

😄🤣

• Like 1

Have you read the new conditions for sailing?  Interested in your thoughts. The new conditions can be found here:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

Also, What do you think this means (why does it just say protection of crew)?

image.png.754447b842f034ea8f9d3cf3fa91ecf5.png

Edited to add that I think I answered my own question. The document applies to Phase 1 which is safe return of the crew.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Also, there are three phases before passengers can board. I'm paraphrasing of course:

Phase 1: Adequate safety for crew plus additional testing

Phase 2: Simulated voyages to test protocols 

Phase 3: Phased in return of passengers

The next logical question is how long is each phase? One day? One week? four weeks? 

For those who wish to be insured, I believe level three makes any regular health travel insurance policy void (obviously check with your individual provider): "The CDC still has its Level 3 travel notice for cruise ships in place, which warns against anyone taking a cruise because of the high risk of COVID-19 infection on ships."

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

The CDC lifted the no sail order today, contingent on the cruise lines following the protocal:

Happy Day!

The CDC narrative is laden with evidence from the Diamond Princess (from January 2020), some Grand Princess (from February 2020) and testing of crew "stranded on cruise ships thereafter" as its bases.

Totally ancient and useless policy anchors for such to be from that period of time.  Referring to the Covid cases, etc., not the CDC (which has demonstrably been discredited downward since 1946; no more so than in 2020 with Covid 19).  🤨

I guess we'll see what the major cruise lines have for a response; although the only alternative is to simply not return to USA ports until the virus is resolved.

Edited by Formula280SS

59 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Happy Day!

Agreed. Since the director of the CDC had wanted, as recently as last month, to extend the No Sail Order until February 15, 2021, I'd say this is a positive sign. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the major cruise lines sailing from the US are going to do everything in their power to meet the guidelines. I'd say out the gate that MSC will do best since they've had more than 2 months sailing in Europe and their efforts have been very successful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidari said:

Not trying to pour cold water on the good news but some people will be disappointed, it seems that many have forgotten about the reduced capacity which means joy for some but not for others.

Good point, but don't the lines usually encourage (aka bribe) passengers to move over to different ships and/or dates?

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Good point, but don't the lines usually encourage (aka bribe) passengers to move over to different ships and/or dates?

Not all ships will be allowed to resume at the same time so there could be a few bun fights unless the bribe to move is a good one.

22 minutes ago, sidari said:

Not trying to pour cold water on the good news but some people will be disappointed, it seems that many have forgotten about the reduced capacity which means joy for some but not for others.

All the more reason to book now when the price is still low and cabins are available.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

All the more reason to book now when the price is still low and cabins are available.

IMO: We haven't even begun to see how low the prices are going to go. Demand for cruising may be reasonable out of the gate with the die-hard fans, but getting over the perception of cruising as a 'floating petri dish' is going to take years to recover from. I predict exceptional last minute pricing on the horizon!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Where do I sign up for simulated voyages?

😀   If I had the opportunity, I think this is a "chance" to leave my "bubble" and do it.  Since the volunteers will be employees of the cruise lines, those who work in the Miami offices surely have an opportunity for some "work time at sea" and be paid for it.  Good for them!

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Also, there are three phases before passengers can board. I'm paraphrasing of course:

Phase 1: Adequate safety for crew plus additional testing

Phase 2: Simulated voyages to test protocols 

Phase 3: Phased in return of passengers

The next logical question is how long is each phase? One day? One week? four weeks? 

For those who wish to be insured, I believe level three makes any regular health travel insurance policy void (obviously check with your individual provider): "The CDC still has its Level 3 travel notice for cruise ships in place, which warns against anyone taking a cruise because of the high risk of COVID-19 infection on ships."

An excellent question.  I think a short cruise 3/4 day ought to sufficient to gather what data the cruise line requires.  Then, do whatever tweeking is required.  Try another cruise with different "guests" and collect that data.  How many times will such be required?  Who knows?

The travel insurance issue may be a major one for anyone that has a pre-existing condition, particularly.  

55 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Agreed. Since the director of the CDC had wanted, as recently as last month, to extend the No Sail Order until February 15, 2021, I'd say this is a positive sign. And you can bet your bottom dollar that the major cruise lines sailing from the US are going to do everything in their power to meet the guidelines. I'd say out the gate that MSC will do best since they've had more than 2 months sailing in Europe and their efforts have been very successful.

I think the CDC is throwing a temper tantrum.  Let's get started and work out the details.  We are closer today than yesterday

• Like 2

I suspect most cruises in the future will be 3/4 days. The "Condition to Sail" order limits cruising to no more than 7 days once in phase 3, and it is not likely phase 3 is coming anytime in the immediate future. 

Next question: Once in phase 3, how long will cruises remain under the "Condition to Sail" order? Because this will determine the future of cruising. I suspect the CDC wishes to remain under "Condition to sail' until a vaccine is proven. This is the problem with most Corona19 restrictions, what is the end game? 

The conditions are very interesting and seem more restrictive than cruising in Europe. They start on page 31:

• Like 1

The "No Sail Order" and extensions never really outlawed cruise lines from sailing, it just put in place requirements the cruise lines had to meet in order to resume sailing from US ports.  The required Response Plans were to be submitted and needed approval of the CDC.  As far as I know no cruise line ever got a plan approved and I'm not sure if any plans were ever officially submitted.  Evidently the cruise lines decided meeting the Plan requirements would be too difficult.

The only difference with this new "Conditional Sail Order" is that the Cruise lines will be allowed to do a phased implementation of their Plans.  But critically the new order still requires the cruise lines to have CDC approved Response Plans (from the No-Sail Order) before even starting the first phase of getting crew back on the ships, see starting at bottom of page 19.  Unfortunately I really don't see this as a "lifting of the no-sail order" but rather the CDC keeping the same requirements which so far the cruise lines have not been willing to meet, with only allowing it be done in phases.

Edited by Até
  • Like 2

The virus can’t be controlled in Hospitals who are the most experienced in contagion management so what hope the cruise line has is extremely doubtful.  I’ll wait until an effective vaccine is available and then wait a further 6 months before I will risk my health aboard their ships. Look towards 2022 .............is my best guess.
Oh, forgot to say it won’t be on a MSC cruise ship for sure, they can’t be trusted to honour any commitments 

Edited by mickey89
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Another step closer. We'll all get there eventually.

Indeed, a cautious step which reminded me of a 7 stage smoking cessation plan, used by many in the UK, back in the 80's. The main attraction was that you didn't actually stop until the 5th stage. So, in the cruise return context, at what stage in the phased plan and more pertinently when do passengers actually get to board.....answers on a postcard please! 

14 hours ago, mickey89 said:

The virus can’t be controlled in Hospitals who are the most experienced in contagion management so what hope the cruise line has is extremely doubtful.  I’ll wait until an effective vaccine is available and then wait a further 6 months before I will risk my health aboard their ships. Look towards 2022 .............is my best guess.
Oh, forgot to say it won’t be on a MSC cruise ship for sure, they can’t be trusted to honour any commitments 

And when one is not found ? Normal vaccines take years to produce not months!

Although the CDC haven't extended the no sail order and admittedly, I've only read the summary of the conditional sail order not the whole document. It sounds as though it will be a lenghty and intensive process to comply, understandable that a lot of precautions need to be taken but to actually resume sailing. In reality it means this will not be imminent?

• Like 1