Cruise Capacity

frankh1969

2 hours ago, frankh1969 said:

If all cruise are going to be capped off at 60%, will they stop selling the cruise? Or will the keep selling hoping for more people to buy the suites formore money and cancel all the lower price cabins?

In order to turn a profit, the cruise lines have to sell the more expensive cabins and reduce capacity by eliminating the cheaper cabins. Or, alternative, raise the price of the lower price cabins to generate revenue.

In the near term, the situation is made worse by the 02 Nov 20 announcement that they will continue to delay final payment until 60 days prior to departure. So, now, 4 to 6 weeks before departure, they will have to start cancelling reservations to meet government regulations. Now, do you cancel the Haven guest who paid $10K and likely to spend a lot onboard, or the inside room who paid $800 who may buy a $10 t-shirt?

It’s simple, they will just cancel the customers who didn’t book direct with NCL.

In the ash cloud, Costa kicked everyone of there ships when the cruise ended that hadn’t booked directly with them.

I have never booked a carnival group cruise operator since.

Nobody knows at this moment. None of the cruise lines have announced their plan on this issue yet. But there is a rather good article on the website Royal Caribbean Blog: "What happens if a cruise is oversold above reduced capacity?" on 16th October.

Quote:

There are a few different possibilities I could see happening, but these are all just guesses:

- Who booked the sailing first gets to stay
- Reverse Crown and Anchor Society status
- Airline model: ask for volunteers first, and then start randomly bumping reservations

With the possibility of quarantine, I would think those booked in balcony cabins get the free pass. I can't imagine staying in an inside with that hanging over me.

No precedence so it will be interesting to see the solution.

33 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that cancel everyone is what they will do.  

Yeah...cancel everyone (and raise the prices).

When/If cruising starts....there will be many that want to cancel instead of dealing with restrictions.

Any other way of passenger reduction will be "unfair" depending on your situation (who booked first, whose tier status is higher, who paid more).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

There's a 4th option - cancel everyone and reopen bookings but limited to the capacity laid out by the CDC.

This was proposed on the Royal board, not by me...

Yea, If they think they can cancel my (our) booking(s) I have had for two years and then start over asking me for double what I had booked for they can kiss off ........ 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

Surely they will have to wok on the FILO principle.

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

What's the FILO principle?

3 hours ago, halberd7 said:

First In, Last Out.

More commonly expressed as the LIFO principle—last in, first out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1