Alaska 2022 on sale 12/16/20

AtlantaCruiser72

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Regarding the reduction in fleet size. I think over the next few years Carnival Corp will come to regret their quick sale of some of these vessels as they really hurt the itinerary portfolio of lines like Princess and Holland America that rely on itinerary diversity as a strong selling point. 

Reduction in fleet size really reflects expected decline in demand until recession is over and overall capacity will be increased as the new (and larger) ships come online over the next several years. The ships that have left the fleet are ones that would have left anyway by the time the newer ships come online.

Of course the loss of smaller capacity ships does mean the loss of the unique itineraries. Princess has been gradually eliminating many of the unique itineraries over the last several years. (Holland America's Maasdam is sorely missed by HAL cruisers who booked the ship for its very unique itineraries.)

Operating costs of the newest ships are significantly lower than the older ships that have left the fleet. Part of this is the larger capacity means lower cvost per passenger. A large part of this is better fuel efficiency.

But the result is that the larger ships are most suitable for cruises such as FLL-Princess Cays-St.Maartin-St.Thomas-FLL than going up the Amazon or around French Polynesia. These Caribbean itineraries plus Alaska itineraries bring larger and larger ships into overcrowded ports.

@caribill I think the loss of the Prinsendam was felt harder than that of Maasdam.  Even though not original built for HAL she developed a vocal and devoted fan base, many of whom have still not gotten over her sale!  Maasdam’s itineraries, while unique, can also be performed on the remaining Volendam or Zaandam if HAL management really wanted to do so.  That said, with only two smaller ships in the fleet vs 7 a few years ago, it has significantly changed what HAL can offer and only the most profitable longer/exotic routes will be retained, and in some cases adapted to suit the Vista class vessels.  I’ll be surprised if Volendam/Zaandam last another 5-7 years with HAL.

I personally think they should have kept at least the Amsterdam to have 3 small ships and more deployment flexibility, but my personal opinion really doesn’t matter much.  HAL has been long been rumored to be an underperforming division of Carnival Corp and cutting the fleet by 1/3 probably made the most fiscal sense short term.

Selling Sun and Sea I’m sure also made financial sense, and I was surprised they stayed in the fleet as long as they did.  However, as you well noted, it hastened the pace at which Princess will steer towards mainstream mediocrity from an itinerary standpoint.

17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Royal Princess is the wild card - does she spend May to September in Australia / SE Asia or does she move to the US West coast to do a summer season from LA that could include 1 or 2 14 day sailingsmixed in with 7 day Mexico/pacific coastal sailings. 

17 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Agree on this and would also add that unless Princess leaves the summer Taiwan market, this is another consideration to make. I'm a bit more inclined to believe Royal might be going there based on its last known itinerary. 

I still believe that Royal will go to Taiwan in summer 2022.

Currently her last available cruise is Sydney to Hong Kong ending on 25th March 2022. After that it is a mystery. However she also appears on Hong Kong port schedule on 31st August 2022. This was usually the week when Majestic finished her Taiwan deployment and began the Hong Kong to Australia reposition voyage in previous years.

Thank you for to the OP. I actually found an itinerary that looks fabulous

for us! It is only offered in September though, which is great for us, but

not for some friends who work in the education field.

2 hours ago, nini said:

Thank you for to the OP. I actually found an itinerary that looks fabulous

for us! It is only offered in September though, which is great for us, but

not for some friends who work in the education field.

Can be hard with work schedules. I can never have leave from work between April to mid-July each year, as this is my areas critical time of year. Makes it hard at times for certain itineraries. Might be lucky at times to get a week off. Have 4 days off in April 2021 to go to Yeppoon. With weekends and public holidays should have nearly 10 days away.

1 hour ago, gdlamberth said:

https://www.onesourcecruises.com/xls/onesource/pc/marketing-materials/destinations/alaska/2022AlaskaSailingSchedulewithFaresandAmenities.xls

Can someone share the code for initial amenity points, please?  Seems to range from 2 to 5.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Amenity points only apply to group contract bookings, not standard individual bookings.  The grid is meant for travel agent use. 

If you are booking one or two cabins through a travel agency, and just happen to be booked into travel agency promotional group space, they will have pre-chosen the amenities they want as an agency - which may or may not provide the consumer with any benefit.  The agency would let you know if any amenities are being given as part of the booking when you create the reservation.

If you are creating a contracted Affinity group (church, family reunion, corporate, etc) through Princess or a travel agency, with a minimum of 8 cabins required and special deposit/payment guidelines, then you will choose amenities when you create the group and the agent will go over the options with you at that time.

For most individual consumers you can ignore the amenity points, as they won't be something you usually deal with or have any input into at all.

On 12/4/2020 at 5:53 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thank you. I had a separate question other than pricing, but the spreadsheet answered it!

On 12/4/2020 at 6:13 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

As of now none. That said Royal Princess and Pacific Princess have no announced summer 2022 deployment.  Diamond is returning to Japan: https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/SE0MS001AV_2022JapanReferenceFlyer_112520.pdf

The rest of the fleet accounted for, so IF (and I think its a big “if”) Princess home ports a ship in LA for summer 2022 it would have to be Royal or Pacific.  Royal is too big for a full season Alaska from LA, but like Crown was poised for IN 2021, they could do a full season of Mexican Riviera/California Coastal and throw 1 or 2 14 day Alaska sailings in there.  Pacific would be a great candidate for a full season of 14 day sailings, but she may price many out of the market to be operated profitably (if she stays in the fleet until then!)

This is awesome info re Japan as we are looking to book 2022 Japan and I was worried that Diamond had disapeared for good. Anyone able to let me know when these will be live for booking and also any info on pricing?

Thanks

Mel

x

41 minutes ago, Melcatfish said:

This is awesome info re Japan as we are looking to book 2022 Japan and I was worried that Diamond had disapeared for good. Anyone able to let me know when these will be live for booking and also any info on pricing?

Thanks

Mel

x

Bookable for Captains Circle Elites 12/15, all others 12/16. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

If these prices are correct, our cruise will be over $711 for both of us.  Hmmmm.  I sure hope this is NOT the base pricing!  We’re counting on the three perks—free WiFi, gratuities and drink/coffee package.  We had that in our 2021 cruise ( as a promo.  Not built into pricing.) $700 + seems like a chunk of $$$.  

@Linsifer 2022 pricing is up a significant amount across ALL cruise lines and destinations. 

When a company has effectively been shut down for a year, taking in mounds of debt to stay in business, and looks at restarting operations with reduced capacity and costly health/safety measures someone has to pay for it. In the case of a company like Princess (or any other cruise line) it is the passenger who will pay through increased fares. The days of cheap cruising are over for awhile. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, Italy52 said:

I don't use a personal cruise consultant.  Maybe someone who uses one could touch base with the consultant and ask if there is a possibility that there might be a LA-Alaska cruise????  Maybe they have heard something that has not been passed along to the TA.  Just a thought.

My consultant is calling me next week with the ship and cruise dates for round trip LA to Alaska for 2022

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Photofinish4 said:

My consultant is calling me next week with the ship and cruise dates for round trip LA to Alaska for 2022

If LA-Alaska is for sure, this is the first that I have heard of it ---- thanks!  Do you know what day he/she will be calling you?

Thought I’d share that I received a call yesterday from our Princess Holiday Planner regarding Alaska 2022 itineraries after I emailed her regarding release dates I had seen on Cruise Critic.

Within moments of receiving my email she received an update herself. I have been advised that the Alaska 2022 bookings will open to Elite members on 17 December. She was able to provide me some departure dates and ship 🚢. Of course no prices as yet!!!!

She has scheduled me in for an appointment at 8am on 17 December 2020 ..... getting excited 😜. I’ll be ready and waiting for the call.

6 minutes ago, Loki S said:

Thought I’d share that I received a call yesterday from our Princess Holiday Planner regarding Alaska 2022 itineraries after I emailed her regarding release dates I had seen on Cruise Critic.

Within moments of receiving my email she received an update herself. I have been advised that the Alaska 2022 bookings will open to Elite members on 17 December. She was able to provide me some departure dates and ship 🚢. Of course no prices as yet!!!!

She has scheduled me in for an appointment at 8am on 17 December 2020 ..... getting excited 😜. I’ll be ready and waiting for the call.

Thanks.  Did she associate any dates and ship for LA? 

BTW, I see that you sailed Sitmar.  Sitmar was the first cruise line we sailed --- loved the experience.

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

BTW, I see that you sailed Sitmar.  Sitmar was the first cruise line we sailed --- loved the experience.

Sorry I didn’t ask about departures from LA the dates she provided was for 14-day Alaska cruise from Vancouver. I’ve been to LA before so thought might see Vancouver this time.

Totally agree with Sitmar ... my first cruise. My parents took us for a family holiday, I was under 10 years old. Must have been bitten by the cruise bug.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Italy52 said:

There was a pdf file posted for Alaska 2022. It didn't show any ships from LA in 2022. Only San Francisco , Seattle , Vancouver and Whittier.

As far as I've been told Alaska opens for Elites on Dec 15 in North America.

Edited by Kamloops50

1 minute ago, Kamloops50 said:

There was a pdf file posted for Alaska 2022. It didn't show any ships from LA in 2022. Only San Francisco , Seattle , Vancouver and Whittier.

As far as I've been told Alaska opens for Elites on Dec 15 in North America.

I did see the PFD file and that is why I was asking the poster about LA as I have seen nothing about the itinerary.

I wish I were Elite and could book earlier but unfortunately, Princess keeps cancelling our cruises making it impossible for us to achieve Elite --- perhaps 2022 will be our year.

17 hours ago, Loki S said:

If you are Elite, you should call your Princess contact back because the Alaska itineraries open up for Elite members on December 15th.  They open to the general public on December 16th as has been reported in this thread and confirmed as recently as last Thursday by the Princess SVP of Marketing during a FB live event.

Edited to add:  Given the time difference in Australia, I would think that if they offered it to you at the same time, that your Elite booking window would start December 16.

image.png.65bf8ec24f7b63936233cf2d038841e0.png

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Thanks 1

There are only 2 ships unaccounted for in Summer 2022 - Royal and Pacific - that could potentially sail from LA.

Royal is rumored for a summer season of short cruises in Taiwan.  Those cruises usually are opened for bookings closer in and are generally not marketed/sold to North American customers. 

Pacific has her last sailing currently scheduled to end in Tokyo on April 19th. There would be time for her to do a transpacific sailing to LA for a summer season or reposition her via the Suez Canal to sail from Venice. There is also the chance she may be sold. Princess seem to be holding off saying much of anything about her future for the time being.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

If you are Elite, you should call your Princess contact back because the Alaska itineraries open up for Elite members on December 15th.  They open to the general public on December 16th as has been reported in this thread and confirmed as recently as last Thursday by the Princess SVP of Marketing during a FB live event.

Edited to add:  Given the time difference in Australia, I would think that if they offered it to you at the same time, that your Elite booking window would start December 16.

image.png.65bf8ec24f7b63936233cf2d038841e0.png

Thanks 😊 for the suggestion. Totally agree regarding time difference etc. Our PVP knows how keen I am to book, so hopefully she’s got the date correct. I find we don’t even get the same offers as you lucky ones in North America!!! Might jump online early on 16 December here and see what I can find ..... I can be like a dog with a bone and will just keep at it. We know which date we’re after, so at least a good start.

Edited by Loki S
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Loki S said:

Thanks 😊 for the suggestion. Totally agree regarding time difference etc. Our PVP knows how keen I am to book, so hopefully she’s got the date correct. I find we don’t even get the same offers as you lucky ones in North America!!! Might jump online early on 16 December here and see what I can find ..... I can be like a dog with a bone and will just keep at it. We know which date we’re after, so at least a good start.

I wish you best of luck!  Either way I am fairly certain there will be plenty of availability even if you book a few days after the initial sale date.

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

There are only 2 ships unaccounted for in Summer 2022 - Royal and Pacific - that could potentially sail from LA.

Royal is rumored for a summer season of short cruises in Taiwan.  Those cruises usually are opened for bookings closer in and are generally not marketed/sold to North American customers. 

Pacific has her last sailing currently scheduled to end in Tokyo on April 19th. There would be time for her to do a transpacific sailing to LA for a summer season or reposition her via the Suez Canal to sail from Venice. There is also the chance she may be sold. Princess seem to be holding off saying much of anything about her future for the time being.

The Royal looks like it’s going to be cruising out of Taiwan in 2022.