Navigator Question

DaisyUK

18 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Navigator's size and crew make her special.  She has had a notable vibration issue for years and it can't seem to be fixed.  I've spent over 200 nights aboard Navigator.  As many have said, do not book an aft suite.  Just be prepared for a little shake, rattle and roll.  

I have my eye on the Grand Arctic Adventure, sometime in the future.  We are booked on Navigator in May 2021 (before the Grand Arctic) to see how we like the ship before booking such a long voyage.  Unfortunately, I think Regent will probably cancel May, and even if they don't we might.  It is going to delay the Grand Arctic more than we would like to find something else on Navigator beforehand.  So I am very interested in the question of whether or not we would be among those who love it or those who don't.

@Pcardad, some people do need to travel in the aft suites, so it is good to hear that someone likes them.  😄  I do like the gentle rocking of the ship, but am not sure I want vibration like that wine glass if it lasts for any length of time.

image.gif

We have been on a trans-Atlantic (via Greenland) and West Africa on the Navigator in a rear suite. The nickname "Navibrator" has some truth to it. We mainly noticed it when the ship was docking early in the morning and reversing thrust to maneuver. As Pcardad noted, we pretty much got used to it. On a trans-Pacific cruise we took a last minute "upgrade" to a Penthouse on deck 10 way forward. Since the suite was the same size, I would say it was a mistake. Being that high and that forward on three rough sea days out of LA wasn't pleasant. I would have preferred to be lower in the the aft of the ship. The main thing I missed was the forward observation lounge, although Galileo's is quite intimate and charming. We also spend a fair amount of time in the Coffee Connection and it can get a little cramped on Navigator in the morning. Otherwise, I agree with many of the other posters---we look for itinerary foremost. All the Regent ships seem to be very nice.

It has been a number of years since we have cruised on the Navigator. Last time, we happened to book a category E suite on deck 6 and there was no vibration we could detect in that suite. But on that cruise, when we attended an event in the auditorium, it was a vibrational roar so that we could not hear the presentation. The Navigator does have a bit of charm about her, but she also has the shakes in some areas. We like her due to her small size, but sometimes the vibrations can become a bit much.

7 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sounds like a great ship, looking forward to cruising on in 2021.

Herb and I are still booked on the Navigator for a two week cruise at the end of April. That’s after five cancelled cruises on the Splendor. Maybe...?.
PS still love Explorer and Splendor better. 
Sheila

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Herb and I are still booked on the Navigator for a two week cruise at the end of April. That’s after five cancelled cruises on the Splendor. Maybe...?.
PS still love Explorer and Splendor better. 
Sheila

They canceled our March cruise Tahiti/Lima.  That's our 3rd canceled one-hoping for Aug 2021 cruise now.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, SusieQft said:

Impressive!  You say it was a bit rocky -- does that mean that this is a rare occurrence?

Since you have posted on another thread that Navigator is your favorite Regent ship, I assume this was just an interesting observation and nothing that would spoil the experience.

It can be rocky, but then so can Voyager.  The vibration is another thing, although again, it's something it shares with Voyager.  I've only spent 18 days on Mariner, and it was mostly in the Caribbean and hugging the coast of SA, but it was definitely the most stable (and no vibes.)

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Do you realize you can order anything from the menus of the restaurants NOT on Navigator with 24 hours notice and you will be served?

Is this true... for example, can we order from the Pacific Rim restaurant
( Explorer and Splendor) on the Navigator?????
sheila

11 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

Highly doubtful. Only if Navigator kitchen happened to have the ingredients for what you ordered and the expertise to prepare them.

15 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Highly doubtful. Only if Navigator kitchen happened to have the ingredients for what you ordered and the expertise to prepare them.

That’s what I thought.... questioning HotRoot?

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Do you realize you can order anything from the menus of the restaurants NOT on Navigator with 24 hours notice and you will be served?

Pacific Rim menu... can be ordered on Navigator?

E cabins on deck 6 is the lowest cabin we book and recommend to others. 

Really like the show lounge set up.  Lounges can get full sometimes if you 

feel you need to go to dinner early, and also wish it had a forward observation lounge. 

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

E cabins on deck 6 is the lowest cabin we book and recommend to others. 

Really like the show lounge set up.  Lounges can get full sometimes if you 

feel you need to go to dinner early, and also wish it had a forward observation lounge. 

I'm with you on that.  Our two Navigator cruises were in E suite, deck 6, just forward of the forward elevators.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

We did this on the 2019 World Cruise.  They also have items from the other restaurants on the dining room lunch menu each day.  We had lobster tempura a half dozen times.

9 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

We did this on the 2019 World Cruise.  They also have items from the other restaurants on the dining room lunch menu each day.  We had lobster tempura a half dozen times.

Wow! Thanks for answering. I love the dining venues on Explorer and Splendor. With this news, I will sail on any ship. 
sheila

5 hours ago, HotRoot said:

That is good news...........really great news at that.

7 hours ago, HotRoot said:

They also have items from the other restaurants on the dining room lunch menu each day.

Do they identify these items as being from the other restaurants on the menu, or do you know this only because you have dined in the other restaurants before and recognize them that way?  I am curious because I am still awaiting my first Regent cruise, and it will probably be on the Mariner.  I have an earlier Navigator booking, but I will be very surprised if it is not cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, SusieQft said:

Do they identify these items as being from the other restaurants on the menu, or do you know this only because you have dined in the other restaurants before and recognize them that way?  I am curious because I am still awaiting my first Regent cruise, and it will probably be on the Mariner.  I have an earlier Navigator booking, but I will be very surprised if it is not cancelled.

Yes, they identify them.  The Navigator is the only Regent ship we have sailed on.  We met and dined with more experienced Regent cruisers and they made suggestions on what to order from other ships.  I also went online and printed the menus before we cruised.  I also remember I learned about being able to do this on Cruise Critic.  They will make you anything you request with notice.  We knew about egg yolk ravioli but had never eaten it.  We asked.  They watched you tube videos.  We had delicious egg yolk ravioli numerous times.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  With no trips booked, land or sea, I don't check this board on a regular basis.  I will check more often in case you have any more questions about eating on the Navigator.

Another thought - We got tired of the gourmet food and requested comfort food for lunch - tuna melt, pepperoni pizza, grilled cheese, fried chicken.  They made it for us and served it on the buffet.  It was all consumed.  Then they asked for more suggestions as everybody loved it.  Just ask.

I have spent many nights on the Navigator,  I like to get a suite on deck seven, it is low in rough weather, you can go the the theater without changing decks, and you can go to the rear elevators going through public areas rather than  passageways though the cabins.  My last trip on deck nine rear of the elevators, I did not notice the vibration, but on some rough sea days crossing the Atlantic I had to hang on to the bars to take my shower.  I believe that the vibration has improved since I first was on the Navigator in 2006.  The main thing I like about the ship is the size, there is a small town feel, in a few days you recognize most everyone and feel at home with them.      

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Scout16 said:

The main thing I like about the ship is the size, there is a small town feel, in a few days you recognize most everyone and feel at home with them.      

I agree with you, Scout.  You get to know the passengers, staff and crew easier on Navigator.  It becomes a lovely community.

• Like 1