Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I still think it will only affect a small number, most expats living their have known that brexit was coming, so they will have taken out residency.

But what about the thousands who stay for 5 or 6 months at a time in their holidays homes? OK, it probably is not the most important of issues in the scale of things, but it is a massive change in terms of free movement.  

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

But what about the thousands who stay for 5 or 6 months at a time in their holidays homes? OK, it probably is not the most important of issues in the scale of things, but it is a massive change in terms of free movement.  

But the inconvenience is still manageable, even for those few that spend the summer there.  What has Brian said about this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I too don't bother about taking bacon etc when on holiday, but I was surprised to read about the new restrictions.

However, I do believe you are not taking the 3 month rule seriously enough - this is a major change and has a significant impact on many Brits.

3 months in any 6 if you travel an now with no visa, we may need a visa waiver if we don't reciprocate. It costs 7 euro and lasts 3 years. If somebody wants to stay in a single country for longer than 90 days, national rules apply. This is all in the air at present. If the 3 in 6 does end up applying, most folk won't worry as 3 months is quite a long holiday. For those who live in a EU country if you looks at the EU visa documents, the answers is they don't know as national rules will apply. In my industry the don't know, or too difficult phrase was ' regulations valid in the place of use '

• Like 1

I'm assuming Jan to Dec.We don't drive back till early March,fly back for a few weeks at whitsun.Fly back for a cruise in Sept and drive back again late Nov.With driving and no border checks I think it's unpoliceable especially where we live cos it's lawless anyway,lol.I'll have to watch out for the pancetta polizia.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

3 months in any 6 if you travel an now with no visa, we may need a visa waiver if we don't reciprocate. It costs 7 euro and lasts 3 years. If somebody wants to stay in a single country for longer than 90 days, national rules apply. This is all in the air at present. If the 3 in 6 does end up applying, most folk won't worry as 3 months is quite a long holiday. For those who live in a EU country if you looks at the EU visa documents, the answers is they don't know as national rules will apply. In my industry the don't know, or too difficult phrase was ' regulations valid in the place of use '

The Visa waiver is still only valid for 90 days,

Edited by wowzz

Just now, wowzz said:

The Visa waiver is still only valid for 90 days.

For 90 days travel in any 180 as without one. If they say you Brits need one like the 63 countries that didn't reciprocate, the document lasts 3 years and costs 7 euro. For stays longer than 90 days countries apply their own rules. All in the EU web pages.

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

For 90 days travel in any 180 as without one. If they say you Brits need one like the 63 countries that didn't reciprocate, the document lasts 3 years and costs 7 euro. For stays longer than 90 days countries apply their own rules. All in the EU web pages.

Yes, agreed. (!) I thought you were implying that with a Visa Waiver the 90 day restrictions did not apply.

It's just a shame that after all these years of travelling to the EU with minimal restrictions we are now going back to the bad old days of border checks and travel restraints.

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, agreed. (!) I thought you were implying that with a Visa Waiver the 90 day restrictions did not apply.

It's just a shame that after all these years of travelling to the EU with minimal restrictions we are now going back to the bad old days of border checks and travel restraints.

I wonder if, in a few months if some restrictions will quietly be dropped. Talks will still go on regarding reciprocity and they still want our little fishes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I think reality will apply and EU countries will be desperate for the millions of British holidaymakers and their £s which props up their tourist industries.

Nothing will stop British Citizens going to any EU country, the 90 day rule will not affect most holidaymakers going for 2 weeks to Benidorm etc. When ETIAS comes in it will be €7 per person, that will last for 3 years, non of this will stop tourists.We may have to be prepared for long queues at passport control, blue passports won’t speed that up. A similar scheme introduced by the US hasn’t stopped tourists.

The Covid restrictions will eventually be lifted both in EU and US as the vaccine rolls out, as we will be outside of EU no surprise we have lost the waiver we have until 31 December 2020.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I'm assuming Jan to Dec.We don't drive back till early March,fly back for a few weeks at whitsun.Fly back for a cruise in Sept and drive back again late Nov.With driving and no border checks I think it's unpoliceable especially where we live cos it's lawless anyway,lol.I'll have to watch out for the pancetta polizia.

There will be a border check at the first country you enter where you passport will be flagged, if you overstay your passport will be flagged, you could then be refused entry the next time you try to go across. 

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I think reality will apply and EU countries will be desperate for the millions of British holidaymakers and their £s which props up their tourist industries.

I honestly think this smacks of sour grapes. Suddenly, now the EU seem to be losing the upper hand they resort to threats. If we won't play their game they want to take their ball and go home. Typical  childish behaviour.

Avril

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I honestly think this smacks of sour grapes. Suddenly, now the EU seem to be losing the upper hand they resort to threats. If we won't play their game they want to take their ball and go home. Typical  childish behaviour.

Avril

I agree.

• Like 1

We got caught in a passport check thing in Amsterdam, I think, 2 or 3 years ago.  Total pain.  I don’t know what the reason was but it didn’t half slow people down

Childish behaviour? No.  I think it’s immature to leave a club, not pay any subs but still expect perks and privileges paying members get.

On the other hand, tourism is an important money spinner all through Europe, so I expect ports of entry will try to make things easy rather than difficult, in as much as it’s within their power and within international and National law

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Here we go again. Same old project fear stuff. Sorry Harry, you lost. Please live with it as this same old rant is getting tedious.

Doesn't look remotely like a rant to me. It's entirely factual.  Just the hard reality of one member pulling out of a club but being surprised when the remaining members withdraw the membership benefits. 

How can that possibly be seen as threatening or childish?

I stopped my Sky subscription,  but should I see their later emails telling me I couldn't use their services any more as childish and threatening?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Here we go again. Same old project fear stuff. Sorry Harry, you lost. Please live with it as this same old rant is getting tedious.

Why is it project fear? 
It’s a fact that we have left the  EU on a voluntary basis

It’s a fact that we have not got a trade deal as promised by the ‘easiest deal in history’ brigade.

it’s a fact that the EU is a massive and powerful trading bloc and the U.K. is just one country, so the EU are in a much stronger position than us in any negotiations.

If it’s project fear, what do you think is going to happen in the next couple of days to change any of this? 

• Like 8

Slightly off topic, but heard on the news last night that we import cheddar?  Why on earth do we import cheddar cheese.  It's comes from here.  Can't we make enough of our own?  Feel rather the same about New Zealand lamb?  Why do we export loads of live sheep to Europe and import New Zealand lamb?

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Their club, their ruies. Why should it be otherwise? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Doesn't look remotely like a rant to me. It's entirely factual.  Just the hard reality of one member pulling out of a club but being surprised when the remaining members withdraw the membership benefits. 

What on earth has not being a member of the EU got anything to do with visiting Europe??  Before we became a member of the EU we used to visit Europe so why should it change now if not for pettiness? I remember holidays to Europe and we were welcomed with open arms.

Avril

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Why on earth do we import cheddar cheese.  It's comes from here.  Can't we make enough of our own

In short,  no, we can't make enough of our own, hence the need to import. Plus of course, some people like the particular flavour characteristics of Irish,  or Canadian cheddar. 

Mind you, we also export UK cheddar as well, although not in such big volumes. 

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, the UK has changed its rules as well, so it is not just the EU being petty.

For background, one of the tenets of the EU is freedom of movement. One of the planks of the Brexit campaign was stopping immigration, or, in other words freedom of movement. All the EU is doing is implementing what Brexiteers wanted.

No, what the EU are doing is taking it out of context to suit their own agenda(as we will be tourists not immigrants) and shooting themselves in the foot at the same time. If they don't want our tourism, many other countries will.

Avril

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

What on earth has not being a member of the EU got anything to do with visiting Europe??  Before we became a member of the EU we used to visit Europe so why should it change now if not for pettiness? I remember holidays to Europe and we were welcomed with open arms.

Avril

Countries in Europe will still welcome British tourists.

But, as we have left the EU, when the transition period ends on 31/12/20, we will be subject to the same entry requirements as any other non EU country. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, the UK has changed its rules as well, so it is not just the EU being petty.

For background, one of the tenets of the EU is freedom of movement. One of the planks of the Brexit campaign was stopping immigration, or, in other words freedom of movement. All the EU is doing is implementing what Brexiteers wanted.

Also, the government was proud of implementing the will of the people and ending freedom of movement once and for all 

• Like 3