Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

I have mentioned this in another thread but the requirement for a "vaccine passport" has reared its ugly head in this morning's press. Several EU countries have already drawn up their own plans (Greece, Cyprus, Poland and Denmark). The EU leaders are due to discuss the issue next week apparently, to ensure that there is a harmonised system throughout the EU to facilitate free movement for those who have been jabbed.

Since Brexit, we are out of the loop and will be barred from entry, I suppose, until we introduce something similar that meets the requirements of the EU.

My guess is that any resumption of international cruising is rapidly disappearing into the distance.

20 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

I cant see the point, you can still transmit it even when jabbed according to the info being given out now.

Patrick Vallance said tonight that although they have no definite data yet, that he would be very surprised if the current vaccines did not not provide a high degree of protection from succumbing to the virus for the vast majority. But he could not rule out the possibility of some people getting a serious infection, and being able to transmit the disease,but the numbers would likely be small.

I think his opinion is far more likely to be the one correct.

• Like 5

He said transmission is still possible but in low numbers.

gov uk website

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccines-questions-social-distance-mask-transmission

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

He said transmission is still possible but in low numbers.

gov uk website

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccines-questions-social-distance-mask-transmission

But you also said you couldn't see the point. Why, if it reduces transmission and prevents severe disease? 

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

I cant see the point, you can still transmit it even when jabbed according to the info being given out now.

No vaccine is 100% effective, but what the scientists have achieved in 10 months should be applauded. I can't understand the continual criticism about this vaccine which will prevent us from risk of serious infection or death. The point, which you don't want to see, is quite simple. If we all have the vaccinations it doesn't matter if you can still transmit it, because we will have been vaccinated against it 

As I said, no vaccine is 100% but it's better to have some protection than none at all. 

Avril

• Like 12

It will take some months before there is sufficient data to tell how much vaccination can reduce transmission. Meanwhile I am concentrating on the chance of it reducing serious disease. 🤞

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 4

My own personal testing has shown that drinking 3 bottles of red wine per week is 100% effective in stopping CV19  infection.

On a serious note, it just shows how difficult it  is to interpret data, without a comparative sample.

Aside from the Vaccine discussion, our July 22 Azura Med cruise is now showing our flight times. 

We are taking this as a positive step (even if others think not!)

Moley was talking about rumours of fly cruise being cancelled and that the contracts with the charter aircrafts would be an issue to get out of but since then the news of the Vaccine has came along and so hopefully P&O are working towards operating her deployment as originally planned (or as close as possible). 

If they were about to announce the cancellation of a fly cruise then surely they wouldn’t be revealing flight details. So a positive moment in my mind. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Aside from the Vaccine discussion, our July 22 Azura Med cruise is now showing our flight times. 

Moley was talking about rumours of fly cruise being cancelled and that the contracts with the charter aircrafts would be an issue to get out of but since then the news of the Vaccine has came along and so hopefully P&O are working towards operating her deployment as originally planned (or as close as possible). 

If they were about to announce the cancellation of a fly cruise then surely they wouldn’t be revealing flight details. So a positive moment in my mind. 

I'm glad you are feeling positive.

But, the flight schedules are just a timetable, nothing more, so please don't build your hopes up too high. You also have to consider if, I assume, Malta, will allow flights from the UK in Juiy.

Having said that, I really hope your cruise goes ahead. We all need to be optimistic in these days, to get us over the darkness.

9 hours ago, joeecco said:

If you mean 22nd of July this year (as opposed to July 2022) then the truth is that nobody knows. Everyone’s view will differ depending on where they sit on the ‘optimism spectrum’ which, as I see it, runs like this;  head in the sand - optimistic - realistic - pessimistic - the world’s going to end 😂 

Although we have made a great start with vaccinations here, a lot will depend on all the countries you are going to. Being the summer and 6 months away, I should think that there’s a very good chance that overseas holidays and tourist flights will be back on the agenda but I still think that cruises will be the last form of overseas holidays to return to normal. As to when that will be its anybody’s guess. Moley can tell us what P&P’s intentions are but neither P&O nor Moley will know for certain until a very short time before they actually recommence. And by that I mean days before. As we have all learnt from bitter experience over the last 10 months, this pandemic runs in cycles. Just when you think things are returning to normal the rug is pulled again. As I say, being the height of summer, your chances are much greater than any other time of year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm glad you are feeling positive.

But, the flight schedules are just a timetable, nothing more, so please don't build your hopes up too high. You also have to consider if, I assume, Malta, will allow flights from the UK in Juiy.

Having said that, I really hope your cruise goes ahead. We all need to be optimistic in these days, to get us over the darkness.

I assume these will be charter flights, if so then the announcement of flight times would seem to indicate that some forward planning is being made, which surely should be taken as something positive.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume these will be charter flights, if so then the announcement of flight times would seem to indicate that some forward planning is being made, which surely should be taken as something positive.

That's true. I must admit I forgot about the use of charter flights. From memory, don't P&O use a combination of charter and scheduled flights for med cruises? 

Perhaps joeecco could ket us know which airline is being used.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

If you mean 22nd of July this year (as opposed to July 2022) then the truth is that nobody knows. Everyone’s view will differ depending on where they sit on the ‘optimism spectrum’ which, as I see it, runs like this;  head in the sand - optimistic - realistic - pessimistic - the world’s going to end 😂 

Although we have made a great start with vaccinations here, a lot will depend on all the countries you are going to. Being the summer and 6 months away, I should think that there’s a very good chance that overseas holidays and tourist flights will be back on the agenda but I still think that cruises will be the last form of overseas holidays to return to normal. As to when that will be its anybody’s guess. Moley can tell us what P&P’s intentions are but neither P&O nor Moley will know for certain until a very short time before they actually recommence. And by that I mean days before. As we have all learnt from bitter experience over the last 10 months, this pandemic runs in cycles. Just when you think things are returning to normal the rug is pulled again. As I say, being the height of summer, your chances are much greater than any other time of year.

I think we cover that whole spectrum on here 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's true. I must admit I forgot about the use of charter flights. From memory, don't P&O use a combination of charter and scheduled flights for med cruises? 

Perhaps joeecco could ket us know which airline is being used.

Yes it is a charter flight. I’ve searched high and low with all the airlines to see if our flight time is on sale just to make sure and it isn’t 🙂 

Just now, joeecco said:

Yes it is a charter flight. I’ve searched high and low with all the airlines to see if our flight time is on sale just to make sure and it isn’t 🙂 

If it is a P&O charter, the flight will not be on sale to the general public. 

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think we cover that whole spectrum on here 🤣🤣

And, depending on which side of the bed we get out of, we can each go from outright pessimism to optimism in the space of two days! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

If it is a P&O charter, the flight will not be on sale to the general public. 

Yes exactly, we’re glad it’s a charter flight because (if it happens) then that added little touch of not waiting for our baggage is brilliant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I think everyone I speak to is feeling a bit like that in general. 

And it’s no wonder really. Some days it feels like it will never end and we are all so desperate for this pandemic to end and life to return to normal that we cling to the positives when they come, only for the rug to be pulled a few days later. The only thing for certain about this pandemic is that it’s been a ruddy rollercoaster ride from the start. I don’t like rollercoasters and am keen to get off!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

And it’s no wonder really. Some days it feels like it will never end and we are all so desperate for this pandemic to end and life to return to normal that we cling to the positives when they come, only for the rug to be pulled a few days later. The only thing for certain about this pandemic is that it’s been a ruddy rollercoaster ride from the start. I don’t like rollercoasters and am keen to get off!

I am obviously a fortunate optimist, I listen to the same govt optimism, but I am sufficient of a realist to recognise that there will always be twists and turns along the way.

As an example I would point out that I have always felt that once a vaccine  was approved it would be rolled out rapidly and I have frequently been ridiculed on this forum when I suggested vaccination of everyone in the UK could be done in 6 to 9 months, with many posters feeling it would take at least 2 years to vaccinate everyone, basing their reasoning on how long it takes for the annual flu vaccine to be rolled out.

• Like 1