Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

7 minutes ago, tring said:

The US have already stopped any cruises over 7 nights which commence from/return to US ports until the end of the year and is why the US Aurora cruise had been taken off sale some weeks back.  I really think any long distance cruises will not be taking place for a long time, with more changes/cancellations even if the basic European cruises start up again.  I also think a lot of ships will not be re starting for a very long time.

Must admit, I'm feeling a bit sceptical about our round trip TA next year on Ventura, and that's over a year away.  Just have to 🤞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Arcadia's cruise to Canada is still showing to book online.  Maybe they will remove it later today.  Will be interesting to see whether they sort out alternative itineries for her and Aurora's USA/Canada cruise in due course.

Just had another little peek.  Still showing but when you click onto making a booking, all grades showing as sold out.  Another batch of disappointed passengers....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

I think it's about time P&O started giving information about April May and June 2021 cruises. Most people like to plan their finances and book time off from work etc.

Surely most people have the time booked off work if they’ve already got a cruise booked? 

I imagine they are waiting for the ‘roadmap’ announcement on Feb 22nd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hollyjess said:

I think it's about time P&O started giving information about April May and June 2021 cruises. Most people like to plan their finances and book time off from work etc.

I'm sure most of accept that it's nigh on impossible to plan much at the moment (at least with any certainty). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AnnieC said:

That's what I've read and, very sadly, they are lagging behind. Australia also has a problem with vaccines, though they have far fewer cases (like about nil) due to their very strict lockdowns and isolated location. Let's hope we remember them (and many others) when we work out how many spare vaccines we have to dole out.

They may be lagging behind in terms of local manufacturing plants but there was an article about a week ago that was accusing the Canadian Government of "vaccine nationalism". It would appear that they have pre-orders in the pipeline for vaccine doses that would treat the population of Canada four times over. They have ordered 362 million doses for a population of 9.6 million. See Guardian article below:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/canada-and-uk-among-countries-with-most-vaccine-doses-ordered-per-person

As an aside, the UK also is among the top countries who are over-subscribed in terms of vaccine pre-orders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I read that the Hungarians and Czechs are buying Russian and Chinese vaccines for themselves instead of relying on the EU.  That really tells you something.

The EU won’t be pleased with that but I do not blame them. They need to protect their citizens first and foremost. 

• Like 2

If the Vaccine Passport comes off and has wide acceptance in other countries, then I expect P&O to adopt this. Under 18s would be exempt so wouldn’t require one.

Yes, this is mandatory vaccination to sail by another name, but it’s a U.K. government decision not a P&O one.

I don’t know how they plan to deal with those who can’t have the vaccine.

6 hours ago, hollyjess said:

If they did and then circumstances meant they had to change, there would be even more complaints from customers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arlowood said:

They may be lagging behind in terms of local manufacturing plants but there was an article about a week ago that was accusing the Canadian Government of "vaccine nationalism". It would appear that they have pre-orders in the pipeline for vaccine doses that would treat the population of Canada four times over. They have ordered 362 million doses for a population of 9.6 million. See Guardian article below:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/canada-and-uk-among-countries-with-most-vaccine-doses-ordered-per-person

As an aside, the UK also is among the top countries who are over-subscribed in terms of vaccine pre-orders

But we all accept that we will probably need to be re-vaccinated possibly  annually, so we will need these vaccines then, even though they may need to be tweaked for the most up to date variant.

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

If the Vaccine Passport comes off and has wide acceptance in other countries, then I expect P&O to adopt this. Under 18s would be exempt so wouldn’t require one.

Yes, this is mandatory vaccination to sail by another name, but it’s a U.K. government decision not a P&O one.

I don’t know how they plan to deal with those who can’t have the vaccine.

I believe Saga have already decided that these passengers will not be allowed to sail.

3 hours ago, arlowood said:

They hedged their bets by purchasing a good selection of options which looks to have paid off considering that any of the vaccines could have failed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

They hedged their bets by purchasing a good selection of options which looks to have paid off considering that any of the vaccines could have failed.

If Matt Hancock is so good at picking winners, maybe he should have entered a few national lotteries as well to help Rishi balance the books.

If the vaccine passport is adopted for use in the UK will it say which vaccine the passport holder has received. If so what worries me that at this moment in time many countries in the EU are not recommending AZ vaccine for citizens over 65 and in some countries over 55 so what would happen if somebody over these ages wanted to enter these countries and had received AZ vaccine and were over either 65 or 55 would they be refused entry.

• Like 1

Interesting point raised on Newsnight this evening. To put it in my words if the young adults want to holiday in the Costas getting drunk etc etc they will need a vaccine passport to do so. This may help in encouraging the young to get vaccinated. I would add that IMO it has to be verifiable otherwise they will just be downloading forgeries.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If the vaccine passport is adopted for use in the UK will it say which vaccine the passport holder has received. If so what worries me that at this moment in time many countries in the EU are not recommending AZ vaccine for citizens over 65 and in some countries over 55 so what would happen if somebody over these ages wanted to enter these countries and had received AZ vaccine and were over either 65 or 55 would they be refused entry.

At the moment yes they would be refused entry but vaccine passports are months away and the doubts about the Oxford AZ vaccine for over 65's are based on the very small sample size of those age groups in the trials. With many millions of people now receiving the Oxford AZ jab in a few weeks time we will have an enormous sample size which may well indicate that The Oxford AZ jab is fine for the over 65's.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

Interesting point raised on Newsnight this evening. To put it in my words if the young adults want to holiday in the Costas getting drunk etc etc they will need a vaccine passport to do so. This may help in encouraging the young to get vaccinated. I would add that IMO it has to be verifiable otherwise they will just be downloading forgeries.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. I don’t know anyone my age that doesn't want the vaccine? 

The issue is the vaccine

passport introduction should only be after everyone has been offered a jab else it is simply not fair. We are at the bottom end of the list, rightly or wrongly, so to then say we would be the only ones not allowed abroad

would be wrong. 

Everybody has struggled emotionally through this pandemic but the ‘young’ tend to be more sociable and have more of a hectic social life so our mental health has taken a huge battering too. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. I don’t know anyone my age that doesn't want the vaccine? 

The issue is the vaccine

passport introduction should only be after everyone has been offered a jab else it is simply not fair. We are at the bottom end of the list, rightly or wrongly, so to then say we would be the only ones not allowed abroad

would be wrong. 

Everybody has struggled emotionally through this pandemic but the ‘young’ tend to be more sociable and have more of a hectic social life so our mental health has taken a huge battering too. 

All the younger adults that I know have behaved impeccably throughout the pandemic and have been extremely sensible, far more so in fact that than some of the older folk who have often criticised them ,based upon a few well publicised incidents, whilst breaking the rules themselves! I also feel sad for the younger adults whose freedoms have been severely curtailed and livelihoods threatened (or even ruined) in order to keep us older ones safe, when the dangers to them personally are negligible. As for vaccine passports, I fear that it is extremely unlikely that any cruise ships will be going on overseas trips for many months yet, by which time (at the fantastic rate that we are progressing in the UK) all over 18’s will have been offered the vaccination anyway. Those who refuse the jab will probably be forced to remain in the UK, which seems fair enough. 

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, joeecco said:

The issue is the vaccine

would be wrong. 

Whilst I sympathise with those who will be last to receive the vaccine, I think it would a bit selfish to deny others the opportunity of a holiday abroad.  I assume you would still be able to enjoy a staycation holiday this summer, and as long as vaccine supplies are not delayed, everyone in the UK should have been vaccinated sometime later this summer.

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Whilst I sympathise with those who will be last to receive the vaccine, I think it would a bit selfish to deny others the opportunity of a holiday abroad.  I assume you would still be able to enjoy a staycation holiday this summer, and as long as vaccine supplies are not delayed, everyone in the UK should have been vaccinated sometime later this summer.

You have contradicted yourself, if it selfish not to allow the older generation abroad then it is also selfish not to allow the younger generation abroad. I’m sure that most younger peoples holidays are abroad not in this country, it’s an older demographic that enjoy the UK more. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

All the younger adults that I know have behaved impeccably throughout the pandemic and have been extremely sensible, far more so in fact that than some of the older folk who have often criticised them ,based upon a few well publicised incidents, whilst breaking the rules themselves! I also feel sad for the younger adults whose freedoms have been severely curtailed and livelihoods threatened (or even ruined) in order to keep us older ones safe, when the dangers to them personally are negligible. As for vaccine passports, I fear that it is extremely unlikely that any cruise ships will be going on overseas trips for many months yet, by which time (at the fantastic rate that we are progressing in the UK) all over 18’s will have been offered the vaccination anyway. Those who refuse the jab will probably be forced to remain in the UK, which seems fair enough. 

This is a lovely comment, I completely agree. 

Thank you for not branding us younger folk with the same attitude. My dad has always taught me that “there is good and bad in everyone”. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I also feel sad for the younger adults whose freedoms have been severely curtailed and livelihoods threatened (or even ruined) in order to keep us older ones safe

I agree with every word of your post Selbourne.  Sometimes some of our older folk should 

remember whilst we hide away with our pensions ,safe in our houses, waiting for our food 

to be delivered that a lot of young folk do not have this luxury . They are out there working 

and then at the end of their shift holed up the same as the rest of us .

To burst a few myths or tarred with the same brush ideas . My Granddaughter for instance 

would love to go away but not to rave and get drunk, she would rather have a quiet pub meal

and a steady drink . As you have rightly pointed out , some of the older generation (not all)

are the ones that look like something out of Kev & Perry.

Our lad he drives up and down the UK sleeping in his cab 5 nights a week and if it wasn't for 

us ringing him every night he would talk to no one at socially . As @Joeecco said life is not 

a bed of roses for the anyone at the moment and same as the rest of us she has the right 

to dream of better times without being pushed to the back of a queue . We came into this 

mess as one and I hope soon that's how we leave it ...As one. Nothing selfish about that !

Take care and be safe everyone,:classic_smile:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe Saga have already decided that these passengers will not be allowed to sail.

But this won't be an acceptable Government policy. The Government cannot just say, 'you cant have the vaccine for medical reasons, therefore you are detained in the UK indefinitely'.

There will need to be an exemption route which still allows travel. My gut feeling is that pressure will be put onto Saga to adopt the Vaccine Passport option rather than their own rules. This is the risk of announcing your rules so early.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 3