Mighty Cruise Ships - Sky Princess

amajaa

Just watched this, recorded from last night. Especially good for us as hopefully our first cruise after Covid will be on this ship. After 5 cancelled cruises, fingers crossed for this one sailing at the end of August and fingers crossed that we have had the vaccine by then.

🇬🇧🛳🚢🛳🚢🇬🇧

We’ve never been on a medallion ship before and it looked good although it seemed to encourage people to be stuck on their mobiles more, something you don’t normally see much onboard except when in port. I have a question though, where do you keep the medallion, do you have to put in your pocket, on a belt or do you get a necklace type thing to put it on? 

Stay safe everyone 

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

lanyard 

Haha yes thanks, I was watching the program at the same time and think I had a senior moment there forgetting what it’s called. 

Do they issue them or do you have to buy them?

5 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Haha yes thanks, I was watching the program at the same time and think I had a senior moment there forgetting what it’s called. 

Do they issue them or do you have to buy them?

issue the 'free one'

Princess also offers, for purchase other options, including a necklace ...

we got knockoff fitbit clips on Amazon that worked well

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. The reason I was asking was I never carry a bag onboard and if hot might not even have any pockets as might be wearing a sun dress or similar.  My Husband always carries both our cards in his shirt pocket and if on the rare occasions I need to pop up to the cabin on my own I just carry it, so presumably that wouldn’t work with the medallion. 

6 hours ago, amajaa said:

... if on the rare occasions I need to pop up to the cabin on my own I just carry it, so presumably that wouldn’t work with the medallion. 

You can certainly carry your medallion to your cabin, just like you would carry the cruise card. It's small and is easily hand-carried.

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

You can certainly carry your medallion to your cabin, just like you would carry the cruise card. It's small and is easily hand-carried.

Thanks, I was thinking more about all the other things it’s suppose to do which presumably require you to have it about your person rather than about someone else’s person.

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Thanks, I was thinking more about all the other things it’s suppose to do which presumably require you to have it about your person rather than about someone else’s person.

Got it! Well if you're still with DH, that shouldn't be a problem if he has it nearby when you want to use it. Otherwise it's still like not carrying your cruise card, you can't purchase something at the shops or drinks and so on. I guess the biggest difference will be not being able to locate you if you're not with DH.

19 hours ago, amajaa said:

Thanks everyone. The reason I was asking was I never carry a bag onboard and if hot might not even have any pockets as might be wearing a sun dress or similar.  My Husband always carries both our cards in his shirt pocket and if on the rare occasions I need to pop up to the cabin on my own I just carry it, so presumably that wouldn’t work with the medallion. 

Princess issue a plastic lanyard case and lanyard free of charge. Multiple other items can be purchased that are more attractive that will hold the medallion - wrist bands, bracelets, necklaces, shirt clips, etc.

Traditional key cards will still be available upon request from guest services if desired. 

On 1/13/2021 at 2:46 PM, Island wannabe said:

we bought bands from Princess to wear like a watch.  They were maybe 12 each.  It was great because we could wear them even in the water.

So Princess is using the lanyard as a profit center.  Interesting to know.

DON

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:25 AM, amajaa said:

Some comments. The medallion comes with a lanyard. The medallion is inserted inside a flat plastic holder which is around the size of a cruise card. The lanyard and holder are free. The lanyard is kind of long. The medallion itself has the passenger's name printed on it, but it is in a very small font size. Unless your eyes are really good the name is difficult to read. It could be hard to determine what medallion belongs to which of you. You can remove the medallion from the holder, just remove the plastic carry case from lanyard, use your own lanyard, or once on board purchase one of the other options from necklaces, clip on, wrist bands and more. They are very easy to carry. Suggest you consider a way to carry your own. You can find images on line by searching Princess Cruises medallion.

18 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Getting back to topic, does any US channels carry this program?  I found a series on the Smithsonian channel called Mighty Cruise Ships but they didn't have the Sky.  But they had the Regal.

Haha yes I was just going to say I’m surprised no one else commented on the actual program. I’m looking forward to sailing on her now. I think she is a similar design as The Britannia which we like ( except the no promenade deck) 

Sorry can’t help you on US channels, we watched it on Quest here. 

The other cruising programs we get over here are Cruising with Jane MacDonald . Jane has done loads of series cruising on all sorts of cruise lines and destinations. Jane originally came to fame on a reality show over 20 years ago about the crew on a cruise ship and she was the resident singer.. The Public took to her. She did her last series in 2019 and Susan Calman, a complete cruising novice, is supposed to be taking over but of course she hasn’t had the chance yet.

If you can get any of her programs over in The States/ Canada it may be worth a watch.

I see the show available on Hulu. I don't see an episode with Sky Princess though. I do see one for Regal Princess. Haven't watched the show yet but just added it to "my stuff" to check it out.

11 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Getting back to topic, does any US channels carry this program?  I found a series on the Smithsonian channel called Mighty Cruise Ships but they didn't have the Sky.  But they had the Regal.

Smithsonian tends to show the series a year later than it was originally released in UK

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 4:33 PM, amajaa said:

Cruising with Jane MacDonald The Public took to her. She did her last series in 2019 and Susan Calman, a complete cruising novice, is supposed to be taking over but of course she hasn’t had the chance yet.

OMG I hope she isnt cant stand her, love Jane. Calman is not a good fit for a cruise show 🙄🤔🤔

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

OMG I hope she isnt cant stand her, love Jane. Calman is not a good fit for a cruise show 🙄🤔🤔

I like her. She is great on the Travel Programs she has been on recently. I will certainly watch if Susan does it, it will make a change from seeing an experienced cruiser doing the show.