Negative Covid Test 72 Hours Before Boarding?

Oak Hill Cruisers

29 minutes ago, Roz said:

Why????

Why not?  I've been double masking for months now since it's believed to give added protection than single masking.  I use a disposable medical paper/fiber mask as the base layer, with a cloth mask over it.  The cloth part also gives me a way to express a sentiment as well, I have one with a NY Giants logo, a Florida Gator, a scenic northern light etc.

After a few uses, I trash the disposable mask.  I can spray the cloth mask with Lysol after each use, and launder after several hours of use.  Easy enough to do, and if it keeps me out of the hospital or morgue, I'm more than happy.  JMO, YMMV.

My husband had to have a covid test five days before a medical procedure.  He couldn't understand why he had to stay home between the test being administered and the procedure.  He could have had the test and became infected that same afternoon.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Why not?  I've been double masking for months now since it's believed to give added protection than single masking.  I use a disposable medical paper/fiber mask as the base layer, with a cloth mask over it.  The cloth part also gives me a way to express a sentiment as well, I have one with a NY Giants logo, a Florida Gator, a scenic northern light etc.

After a few uses, I trash the disposable mask.  I can spray the cloth mask with Lysol after each use, and launder after several hours of use.  Easy enough to do, and if it keeps me out of the hospital or morgue, I'm more than happy.  JMO, YMMV.

I just ordered these last night:

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/kn95-masks-amazon-sale-15902952.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2FrD4uwwy829FNbaejgQ32iyvd3YaUU6A1m73Xic-0TAgNIrZaUmmybfc

I hope my "Notorious RBG" mask will fit over it.

4 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Because the razor companies said that if one blade is good, 2 are better.  And if 2 are good, three are better.  And if three are good, 4 are even better.

Yeah you can be MOST effective if you block all airways completely 😆 They are recommending us have 3 layer masks now. I can barely breathe with one good layer so home I shall stay.

Edited by sydbarrett
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Please don't spray your mask with Lysol!! This is very dangerous. It is better to wash in hot water after each use, or spray with rubbing alcohol if you must.

3 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

Yeah you can be MOST effective if you block all airways completely 😆 They are recommending us have 3 layer masks now. I can barely breathe with one good layer so home I shall stay.

My glasses get fogged up more than enough with one mask. With more than one, I'd probably be all but legally blind.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 3:48 PM, ontheweb said:

My glasses get fogged up more than enough with one mask. With more than one, I'd probably be all but legally blind.

If your glasses are fogging up with a mask it simply means you do not have a good fit.  With a tight fitting N95 or KN95 that will not happen.   But if you want to wear loose fitting masks (which makes it easy for any virus to get through) you could just wash the lenses of your glasses with Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo (rinse well) which should keep them from getting fogged.  It is an old divers trick.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

If your glasses are fogging up with a mask it simply means you do not have a good fit.  With a tight fitting N95 or KN95 that will not happen. 

That's great to know. I ordered some through Amazon at like $1.29 each that should be delivered today.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

That's great to know. I ordered some through Amazon at like $1.29 each that should be delivered today.

That is a terrific price :).  We got some N95 and KN95 masks last April (a gift from our DD) and the prices were outrageous at that time due to the big shortage.  I have recently heard some good things about KF95 masks (they are the Korean version of N-95) and might try ordering some of them when we return to the USA (if President Biden lets us back in our country).

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That is a terrific price :).  We got some N95 and KN95 masks last April (a gift from our DD) and the prices were outrageous at that time due to the big shortage.  I have recently heard some good things about KF95 masks (they are the Korean version of N-95) and might try ordering some of them when we return to the USA (if President Biden lets us back in our country).

Hank

I just checked and the 10 pack I ordered isn't available. They have a 20 pack at $3/mask.

I emailed the following (copied from CC) to a couple of British friends asking if it was for real and she said yes.

"UK is requiring 10 days Government managed hotel isolation for UK nationals entering UK from various hotspot countries.

Also, only essential travel overseas will be permitted."

And Canada has taken action. I really want to travel but WOULD want to return home.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I just checked and the 10 pack I ordered isn't available. They have a 20 pack at $3/mask.

I emailed the following (copied from CC) to a couple of British friends asking if it was for real and she said yes.

"UK is requiring 10 days Government managed hotel isolation for UK nationals entering UK from various hotspot countries.

Also, only essential travel overseas will be permitted."

And Canada has taken action. I really want to travel but WOULD want to return home.

It has been an interesting few days here in Puerto Vallarta as we have watched Canadians trying to flea home before they get caught up in their new mandatory quarantine system which apparently can cost them about $2000.  The Canadian government has also done everything in their power to stop flights which is causing even more grief for the many Canadians here in PV.   Meanwhile, we Americans (along with the Canadians who are not planning on going home soon) continue to enjoy the fabulous weather, good restaurants, wonderful Mexicans, etc.   We sure hope there will not be similar restrictions in the USA (not even sure it would be legal) but we see no reason to leave PV where we feel quite safe.  Yes, COVID is bad here in Mexico, but one can choose to be careful, social distance, follow the rules, and minimize (not eliminate) the COVID risk.

We have no clue as to what future steps will be taken by the USA.  I recall Biden criticizing Trump for implementing travel restrictions...and yet Biden has already been implementing his own travel restrictions that sure seem similar to what Trump did (including a new one for South Africa).  When Trump did it the press called it Xenophobia.  When Biden does the same thing they call it a good policy.  What seems pretty obvious is that with all the travel restrictions, lockdowns, closures, etc. the virus still does what the virus wants :(.   There is one strange thing here in Mexico.  It is actually a lot easier to get a COVID test here then it was at home (where we lived it was near impossible).   We already made an appointment for our tests a couple of days before our flight and it was a simple matter of sending a single e-mail and specifying the day.  Rather then waiting in a line for hours (which is what happened to many in the USA) here it is just a matter of walking 3 blocks to a testing center and showing up at the appointment time.

Hank

Hank

On 1/29/2021 at 10:20 AM, ColeThornton said:

On the Lysol web site it recommends against using their spray on face masks.

Thanks to the above and others who posted the same warning, it is appreciated.  I've been spraying the outer cloth mask with Lysol after a few hours use, and then changing to other cloth masks as the 2nd barrier over my trifold paper/fiber mask.  This way, the mask sprayed with Lysol will sit for 6 or 7 days before it gets used again, and then it will get laundered. After the 2nd rotation or so, the cloth ones get laundered and the cycle resumes.

It's not like I'm only using a cloth mask, spraying it, and putting it back on. I'm also only out of my house at most twice a week, so it is a long rotation.  And after smoking cigarettes from the 60's to '89, a little residual Lysol is hardly noticed.  We won't even mention any other suspicious molecules that entered my airways during the 60's, hush.

I wouldn't use just a cloth mask, spray it with anything, and put it back on, sorry if anyone thought that was my procedure.  If you want me to say, don't try this at home kids, I'm the nut job, there, I've said it.  Thanks again!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is actually a lot easier to get a COVID test here then it was at home (where we lived it was near impossible).   We already made an appointment for our tests a couple of days before our flight and it was a simple matter of sending a single e-mail and specifying the day.  Rather then waiting in a line for hours (which is what happened to many in the USA) here it is just a matter of walking 3 blocks to a testing center and showing up at the appointment time.

It's so interesting from state to state. In NV we got out appointments for the tests the following day and the results in two days. Same with the vaccine. Got our appointments for the first one about a week out and then they emailed us to set up the second ones for next Saturday.

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It has been an interesting few days here in Puerto Vallarta as we have watched Canadians trying to flea home before they get caught up in their new mandatory quarantine system which apparently can cost them about $2000.  The Canadian government has also done everything in their power to stop flights which is causing even more grief for the many Canadians here in PV.   Meanwhile, we Americans (along with the Canadians who are not planning on going home soon) continue to enjoy the fabulous weather, good restaurants, wonderful Mexicans, etc.   We sure hope there will not be similar restrictions in the USA (not even sure it would be legal) but we see no reason to leave PV where we feel quite safe.  Yes, COVID is bad here in Mexico, but one can choose to be careful, social distance, follow the rules, and minimize (not eliminate) the COVID risk.

We have no clue as to what future steps will be taken by the USA.  I recall Biden criticizing Trump for implementing travel restrictions...and yet Biden has already been implementing his own travel restrictions that sure seem similar to what Trump did (including a new one for South Africa).  When Trump did it the press called it Xenophobia.  When Biden does the same thing they call it a good policy.  What seems pretty obvious is that with all the travel restrictions, lockdowns, closures, etc. the virus still does what the virus wants :(.   There is one strange thing here in Mexico.  It is actually a lot easier to get a COVID test here then it was at home (where we lived it was near impossible).   We already made an appointment for our tests a couple of days before our flight and it was a simple matter of sending a single e-mail and specifying the day.  Rather then waiting in a line for hours (which is what happened to many in the USA) here it is just a matter of walking 3 blocks to a testing center and showing up at the appointment time.

Hank

Hank

Hank, I see you have been tested. Have you been vaccinated yet ?

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

Hank, I see you have been tested. Have you been vaccinated yet ?

No, I have never been tested....yet....but will be tested (Fast Antigen) before we head home in March.  We cannot get vaccinated here in Mexico since there is still no vaccine roll out for tourists (and no plans in the near future).  If we were home we still would not be able to get vaccinated because the situation in PA seems to be a mess.  DW and I are both in a priority group so we hope things work out in the Spring.

Hank

On 1/30/2021 at 4:18 PM, Hlitner said:

There is one strange thing here in Mexico.  It is actually a lot easier to get a COVID test here then it was at home

Strange only in comparison to the US.  Mexico is usually pretty rationale in their own way about these things.  Once a commodity is in general supply and if you can pay, you'll basically receive immediate service.  If not, it's not going to happen.   No equity and fairness needed - just cash!

In Mexico, a family will "pass the hat" among relatives and good friends to pay for the health care needs of someone.  I just sent a contribution a couple of weeks ago to pay for a surgery for someone that was only going to get treatment by paying a private doctor/hospital.

Once the vaccine is in wide distribution, expect a similar pattern to unfold.  Pay money and you'll get the vaccine.  No money and it's going to take a real long time to get anything from the public health care system.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Because the razor companies said that if one blade is good, 2 are better.  And if 2 are good, three are better.  And if three are good, 4 are even better.

Or, the actual relevant rationale:  if one layer of filtering material is effective, two are virtually certain to be more effective.

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Or, the actual relevant rationale:  if one layer of filtering material is effective, two are virtually certain to be more effective.

Except it turns out they aren't.  Fauci already admitted his comment was based on 'common sense', not science, and another epidemiologist, who has been advising the Biden administration said that 2 masks could actually increase spread.  His argument was that 2 masks could block so much air that the exhaled air would be forced out the edges.  He analogized to swimming goggles, where leaks come through the seals, not the lenses.

6 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Except it turns out they aren't.  Fauci already admitted his comment was based on 'common sense', not science, and another epidemiologist, who has been advising the Biden administration said that 2 masks could actually increase spread.  His argument was that 2 masks could block so much air that the exhaled air would be forced out the edges.  He analogized to swimming goggles, where leaks come through the seals, not the lenses.

Cue to 6:16

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/full-osterholm-we-need-to-get-as-many-one-doses-as-we-possibly-can-100301893713

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yes, you want to be suspicious of common sense.

I have yet to see any face mask which was sufficiently impermeable to force exhalations to lift the edges. But I have heard a fair amount of arguments against face masks based more upon personal disinclination to wear masks than on anything approaching science,

Of course, virtually all science, on any topic, starts with common sense observation of things that happen.  Enough observed events is what generates data, and data is what science is based upon --- science does not spring fully formed out of dreamt-up theory.  Basing decisions concerning air-permeable face masks upon what happens with swimming goggles is hardly science.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

But I have heard a fair amount of arguments against face masks based more upon personal disinclination to wear masks than on anything approaching science,

THIS^^^