The Restaurant Dining Reservations

Klapka

Just got the "paperwork" for our first Viking Ocean cruise.  

Working through the detail I noticed that, in addition to  the date from which speciality restaurant reservations may be placed, a date for reservations in The Restaurant.  This caused me to look at the My Journey area on the website and I see that there is a button for the Restaurant in the section for speciality bookings (obviously, these buttons don't work yet).

On our previous cruises with eg Regent, Seabourn etc I guess some passengers may have reserved for a particular time on occasion, but it didn't  seem to be a thing.  As far as I could see everyone was just turning up and getting seated - as did we.

Is this  a common practice on Viking for folk to pre book their seats in the main restaurant before boarding?  

6 minutes ago, worldtraveler1234 said:

The guaranteed reservations are for the 2 specialty restaurants. Once on board you can book additional dates for Chefs Table and Manfredis. Reservations are not required for the main dining room.

They may be post-Covid due to safe spacing restrictions, both in the restaurant and in the waiting line.

On our two Viking Ocean cruises The Restaurant was first come, first served.  There were certainly busier times with 6:30-7:30 probably the most popular.  Like Goginger, I am wondering if it is a new plan for Covid19 in order to assure distancing between tables.  The prior distancing was such that we could easily have a conversation with those at a table on any side from us.  I just hope we aren't forced to choose the same time for every day.

This is definitely part of Viking's updated Health & Safety Program.  Check My Viking Journey for reservation options at The Restaurant.  I think you may be limited to your number of reservations based on cabin category (same as Manfredi's and Chef's Table).

Not on the website but in My Viking Journey under Onboard Experience/Dining.  We've already booked The Restaurant reservations for an upcoming April trip.  Manfredi's and Chef's Table are not yet available for us on this trip,

Likely due to Covid, there would be a need to separate (and limit) restaurant dinners during peak times. The hours may be expanded as well.

5 hours ago, Mitina said:

This is definitely part of Viking's updated Health & Safety Program.  Check My Viking Journey for reservation options at The Restaurant.  I think you may be limited to your number of reservations based on cabin category (same as Manfredi's and Chef's Table).

Unless something changed, there was never a limit on specialty dining reservations. Higher cabin categories give you guaranteed reservations, but anyone can call and reserve if available.

Don't remember exactly.   I think 5:30 to 8:00.  Tables for 4 were either very early (we reserved a 5:45) or late, but maybe because all the good times were taken.  We also reserved a table for 2 at 6:15.  Our trip is late April so we're seeing dining reservations.   

Our August 2021 trip still shows 'Not available at this time'

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Unless something changed, there was never a limit on specialty dining reservations. Higher cabin categories give you guaranteed reservations, but anyone can call and reserve if available.

Nothing has changed.  I was referring to advance bookings (pre-boarding)

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Unless something changed, there was never a limit on specialty dining reservations.

Only a limit on how many advanced reservations one may make. However, depending on the length of the cruise and how popular the specialties are on a particular sailing, there may be limits imposed.

Edited by Peregrina651

If Viking increases table spacing in The Restaurant, the new normal will be different.  In my observations, perhaps 1/3 of guests will use the buffet for the evening meal. And the dining room will clear out by 8.30. That could become an issue if the World Cafe / Buffet becomes capacity controlled, pushing people into the Dining Room.

We dined in the Chef's Table and Manfredi's several times during our Trade Routes voyage in 2019. We never had a problem with same day or earlier requests for 8.15 or 8.30 reservations.  Many people prefer to dine early, and have a drink at the bar and dessert from the World Cafe later.

• 3 weeks later...

Just casually looking at myvikingjourney and notice that the options for booking dining have disappeared for potential cruises in July and November. Manfredi's and Chef's Table now say"Reservations are available on board the ship" and there is no option for booking the MDR. Not a problem but interesting I thought.

Just checked our own cruise, Homelands in August, and it is still saying the normal "reservations not available at this time" on Manfredi's, Chefs Table and the MDR. 

Interestingly, we are booked into a V1 which only permits bookings whilst on board ship anyway.

Also interestingly, whilst the availability on this cruise keeps changing as everybody's plans keep changing, it looks fuller than normal as I guess cruisers who are keen to travel in 2021are rebooking from their cancelled cruises in April and May.

Well the world is a small place! We are up in Stow on the Wold.

I am remaining optimistic that our August Viking Homeland cruise will go ahead as I am "glass half full" sort of person, but I guess only time will tell. 

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

I am remaining optimistic that our August Viking Homeland cruise will go ahead as I am "glass half full" sort of person, but I guess only time will tell. 

Not wishing to burst your bubble, but we are booked on Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, it starts in Montreal. Canada have banned all cruises until Feb. 2022 and it is still showing on MVJ as going! I can't get any response from Viking about what they are planning to do. Logically it will have to be cancelled.

We were booked on this cruise last year which was obviously cancelled, so moved it to this year. We've just had our May cruise cancelled, so at the moment not doing very well!

Edited by old biddy

3 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Well the world is a small place! We are up in Stow on the Wold.

I hope your optimism pans out if that's what you want. But ----- spitting in a tube every morning, wearing a mask and being unable to enjoy ports of call on your own ----- is that what you want?

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

I hope your optimism pans out if that's what you want. But ----- spitting in a tube every morning, wearing a mask and being unable to enjoy ports of call on your own ----- is that what you want?

I guess travel is always made up of highs and lows, and we all make choices. 

So yes, I can put up with providing a specimen of saliva each morning if it gives me some confidence in a daily testing process. 

So yes, I am happy to wear a mask, if required to move around the ship, but will not travel if required to wear one whilst seated. Vikings latest H&S protocols state that they will not require masks whilst seated but may require them moving around the ship depending on circumstances. 

It is the area of excursions that I think will be the most difficult. So yes, I am happy to travel if we are restricted to only Viking excursions providing that there is a reasonable choice. However, it will be interesting to see what is offered as the frequently included walking tour hardly creates a secure bubble nor does visits to the popular tourist sites in the various ports. 

We will only know what our holiday will look like and be able to make a final decision once cruising restarts. 

As I said previously,  I am remaining optimistic that I will have a choice to make but obviously there is always a risk that further cancellations will take away that decision of whether to travel or reschedule from me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, duquephart said:

In a strange way I have gotten used to wearing a mask every where I go.  Been on a several long flights and it was no big deal.  I almost feel undressed at this point when not wearing it.

Also I have no problem spitting in a tube for testing.  I do it 3 time a week at work.  Sure is a lot better than getting the nose roto-rooter test ( that I have to do again  next week).

I'm hoping that they come up with a vaccine passport within the next few months like Hawaii is talking about.  But I sure any willing to try any thing if they can get back cruising again.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/hawaii-covid-vaccine-passport-program

• Like 1