Azamara Pursuit Ports 'on your own'

england swings

This is the first time on Azamara but we have cruised with Royal Caribbean before.  We usually communicate with others before the cruise goes to book excursions on our own, but I don't know if this would be allowed with Covid?  Also, I don't know if we can just get off the ship at each port 'on our own' to explore the city?

9 minutes ago, england swings said:

This is the first time on Azamara but we have cruised with Royal Caribbean before.  We usually communicate with others before the cruise goes to book excursions on our own, but I don't know if this would be allowed with Covid?  Also, I don't know if we can just get off the ship at each port 'on our own' to explore the city?

No one knows.  None of the US majors have announced concrete plans on excursions after sailing begins, although the first sailings in Europe prohibited private excursions.  Also, I would think it would probably depend on when you are sailing.  2021 vs 2022 or 2023 could be very different.

11 hours ago, england swings said:

Has anyone been on the South Africa Cruise tour?

No, but when we went to Victoria Falls (booked independently) the Cruise Tour stayed at the same hotel and did the same Zambesi River Cruise as us.  What is it you actually want to know?  Maybe I can help answer.  That was in January 2020, just before covid broke.

I did the falls on my own..different cruise line.

no one I knew was anywhere near me. Nice break from ship.

did the river ride...waste of money. Should of hiked more of falls.

some people did the dinner train.

28 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I checked with two major tour companies and both  have great cancel policies. So in some ports going to do my own and if needed get money bs k.

Be careful with cancellation policies.  Some very reputable tour companies in AK found that they did not have the cash on hand to pay for cancellations so they had to tell people that either they would repay when they could or else the tour had to delayed until next year.  Some tour companies operate on a close liquidity margin.  

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

There a very famous one that I used many times. They are giving money back .

There are lots of people advertising they give money back but as has been seen here, that all depends on the business remaining solvent enough to do so.  Very important even for someone you think is 100% ok to book using a credit card so you do get an element of non performance protection.  Just because someone says they are giving money back - will they be able to if everyone needs it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, uktog said:

There are lots of people advertising they give money back but as has been seen here, that all depends on the business remaining solvent enough to do so.  Very important even for someone you think is 100% ok to book using a credit card so you do get an element of non performance protection.  Just because someone says they are giving money back - will they be able to if everyone needs it?

I would emphasise the use of a Credit Card.

We used it when CelebrityCruises didn’t issue a FCC and refused to refund our deposit, as it wasn’t eligible ( in UK deposits are not refunded, but can be transferred to another booking).

We were told we would be given FCC, but it never materialised.

Our bank refunded the deposit, but were going to contact both the cruise company and the travel agent.

• Like 1

I do not want to disagree here. But I use good trip ins and so far my ins has paid me back for  land tour,flights and medical .

at this point I do not not believe I am sailing in July but I still need flights,,hotel and transportation . They all will pay me back. If not ins will. My fall cruises  the same..

I have no idea what people pay  but it helps.

Robin what we did and were covered for before is not the same as today.

I have an excellent annual policy which is far more generous in terms of coverage than many.  Last year it covered claims relating to Covid cancellations, now that cover only exists for claims on reservations made before September 2020.  You have to watch the small print when making new bookings- your current ones may be covered, the future could be very different and the OP was talking about the future.  

I was considering South Africa bookings and on exploring insurance couldn’t find anyone offering coverage for cancellations due to Covid now in that part of the world.  You are back to relying on the cruise or tour operators policies and whether at the point of asking for the refund they are financially able to pay.  Hence only pay by credit card. 

• Like 1

We are going on the Azamara Pursuit and when cruising we try to just get off the ship and book sightseeing bus tours or just walk around and have lunch and shop.  I was just wondering if someone had travelled this cruise what is at the ports, can we easily walk to the city centre, are there shops and restaurants at the ports?

30 minutes ago, england swings said:

We are going on the Azamara Pursuit and when cruising we try to just get off the ship and book sightseeing bus tours or just walk around and have lunch and shop.  I was just wondering if someone had travelled this cruise what is at the ports, can we easily walk to the city centre, are there shops and restaurants at the ports?

Like you we prefer to do our own thing, however we did a similar cruise with Crystal a couple of years ago booked before Azamara announced they were doing this itinerary. We ended up mainly doing ships tours as it was impossible to find local tours that worked with the ships docking time, mainly because most tours are wildlife related and these normally start early mornings.

Not sure of your itinerary but presumably includes Durban, we were warned by a South African friend to be very careful there as there are areas near the ship that are not tourist friendly, there we did a ships tour to a bird of prey sanctuary which was excellent.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, england swings said:

Hi england swings.  
We have had a land based holiday and stayed in Cape Town at the Table Bay hotel.  This is located at the Harbour where the cruise will dock.  You will be in the centre of the restaurants, shops and entertainment.  The Harbour is patrolled by “tourist police” and we felt very safe.  I believe the Pursuit is docked there for a couple of nights?  This allows time to do the wine tours Stellenbosch and Franschhoek which we did via an organised tour (via BA).  At the Harbour is a HOHO bus which had 2 excellent routes (wine route and coastal for Western Cape and the Penguins).  This  was excellent value, safe and informative.  A 45 min Ferry from the Harbour took us over to Robben Island where Mandela was detained.  Memorable for many reasons.  

Unfortunately, I have no first hand experience on the other ports and so am unable to give any pertinent information, other then personal safety should be a major consideration.

We had a fantastic time and would love to return.  Indeed, we have looked at the Pursuit’s itinerary to explore more of SA and return to CT but don’t won’t to book till we know what post Covid cruising actually looks like.

Regards

22 hours ago, uktog said:

Robin what we did and were covered for before is not the same as today.

I have an excellent annual policy which is far more generous in terms of coverage than many.  Last year it covered claims relating to Covid cancellations, now that cover only exists for claims on reservations made before September 2020.  You have to watch the small print when making new bookings- your current ones may be covered, the future could be very different and the OP was talking about the future.  

I was considering South Africa bookings and on exploring insurance couldn’t find anyone offering coverage for cancellations due to Covid now in that part of the world.  You are back to relying on the cruise or tour operators policies and whether at the point of asking for the refund they are financially able to pay.  Hence only pay by credit card. 

Ann, the travel ins I use us a big company in the states.I got a huge amount back whwn my WC was cancel for a flight I paid for vs the one I wad to take home from Europe. Plus money back for missing a land tour in India in spring , if 2020.

Then I had medical while in Cabo abd They paid that.

now no one knows if we will cruise in 21 or not. So pre cruise Athens  I have a company for airport pick up, hotel pick up. No money yet but as of now I can cancel five days before. Well, I would hope AZ cancels by May fir summer.

The  other company base is Canada but is known world wide. Their policy changing this week but still  after I would know if cruise sails. The hard part is missed ports.

weel, I miss Shanghai due to weather and I got my money back.

so in the end to me is how willing you are to chance the tour or cruise.

Also I am sorry your UK agent is not as fair as They should be.good way to lose business.

Thank you all for your information.  I know that is early to tell about what our cruise will look and act like.  We always did our own excursions with other passengers we met through the 'board', so it is quite difficult to try to plan anything this far out .. plus in contacting various port folk where we dock, no information is coming through due to everything being closed ... I am not looking to see this one go in February 2022 .... really don't mind, because I will just move it to another date ... just liked the route.  Take care and keep safe.

We enjoy private tours such as on 2 visits to St Petersburg we had a drive and guide and selected where we wanted to visit on both 3 day stays with Azamara. In 8 Iceland we hired a car for 2 days. In some places we use HOHO bus, in Bordeaux the tram that stopped next to the ship; in Bermuda ferry and bus that were close to the ship; in NY we walked to Time Square. At the moment we feel it is too early to plan for Cape Town to Lisbon but we hope in some places to tour privately. 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, uktog said:

Everyone looking at this thread should consider uktog's advice ... I tried to comment similarly when COVID-19 first started to impact travel ... many small operators don't have cash during a crisis ... it is not so much that you can't fight and eventually get your money back but who needs all that fighting and presenting documentation? Even insurance companies want documentation which can be very time consuming ... having a top tier travel card can help ... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GlobalMethod said:

Everyone looking at this thread should consider uktog's advice ... I tried to comment similarly when COVID-19 first started to impact travel ... many small operators don't have cash during a crisis ... it is not so much that you can't fight and eventually get your money back....

Another aspect to this, well made, point is who amongst us would wish to jeopardise the viability of any such business by pursuing a claim against them.

20 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Another aspect to this, well made, point is who amongst us would wish to jeopardise the viability of any such business by pursuing a claim against them.

Many would. I’ve seen the behaviour of cruisers against small operators in the good times I’m afraid. It’s embarrassing especially if you happen to be a fellow guest on a private tour. I’ve seen refunds demanded and attempts made to avoid payment after a tour for preposterous reasons such that the poor operator would make no money that day. Sadly all lines attract all sorts 

• Like 2

My India tour company refused  to help out. Agreed no money could be the cause but it was my money. My retired travel agent step in and got thru my Ins major $ back. 

for future cruises I will watch which companies I use until I know we have more freedom to travel.