Help me choose, HAL vs Princess

Mapomp

Hi.  I'll be posting this same question on the Princess board, hopefully that's okay.  I am so missing my cruise this year, hoping to do Panama Canal next January (1/22)  Anyway, it's between The Eurodam with additional stops at Aruba and Curacao in a SS vs. Crown Princess with additional stops in Jamaica and Grand Turk in a club class mini suite.  Eurodam has an extra day, as well.

I don't know why, I just can't choose! I've been on both lines before, but not those ships.

Any help??

Thanks 🙂

Well, I'm with you, Mapomp.  I see that as a tough one as well.  I've cruised Eurodam and a couple Princess ships just like Crown.  Just like another similar thread running, there are some huge differences, and both have plusses and minuses.  

I would lean toward HAL because of the SS, the extra day, and those 2 extra stops.  I'd take Aruba and Curacao any day over Jamaica and GT.  

The only reason this wouldn't be a slam dunk choice for me is HAL's entertainment.  Princess has so much more variety, and their main stage shows are so much better.  My last cruise was on Eurodam, and I pretty much swore against any future cruises on HAL that aren't on the new Pinnacle Class.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 2

Having sailed her in both Mediterranean and Caribbean, EURODAM is simply a great ship.  And yes, Curacao over Jamaica with no thought at all!!!  I can't speak for the Crown Princess unfortunately....

• Like 2

So it's an extra day for roughly the same price? If so then you come out ahead $ wise with HAL, 4 stars on HAL just one 10 day cruise on Princess.

I think HAL has better service and slightly better food, since I was in a full suite on Princess I had breakfast every morning in the Crown Grill. Made friends with the mater D and wait staff and one morning they literally bought me everything on the breakfast menu. including bottomless mimosas.

I think they where mostly bored because me and maybe 2 or 3 other parties ever came for their Suite Breakfast at the Crown Grill. (Yes I've had numerous breakfast in the Pinnacle grill on HAL ships)

-Paul

As on your thread on the Princess board, noone has addressed the fact that these are both partial transits, but through different locks.  Eurodam will transit through the old/original locks, while 

Crown is too large for the original locks and will use the new locks.  Other than that, the process is the same.  EM

We have no experience on either ..but these are my thoughts from our 'research' on our ipcoming Panama Canal cruise.

We looked at the same (and other) similar options for this cruise and booked that panama canal HAL cruise in December 2021 (somewhat optimistic). We chose HAL primarily for the better itinerary which seems to be in unanimous agreement.

With regards to entertainment, live music is our favourite type of entertainment and why we have decided we want to give HAL a try as it seems they have the edge on this. We are a somewhat in the minority on the Entertainment vote having read through a plethora of Princess vs HAL threads where the entertainment is 'generally' considered better on Princess.

I have two cruises booked for March, 2022.  The first one that I booked before Christmas is on the Sky Princess to Princess Cay, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.  I have done this itinerary three times (Sky and Regal 2x).  My friend has not.  On Sunday , we found out that an event we would really like to attend has been postponed to either Fall or March 2022.  If March, it would conflict with our Princess cruise.  So, yesterday I booked the Rotterdam to Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curaçao.  This itinerary would be new for both of us.  This cruise is later in March, 2022.  

I have cruised on Princess four times and once on HAL.  All of the cruises were very enjoyable.  As I’ve sailed on the Sky Princess last year, I know it was great and we will have a good time.  I haven’t sailed on HAL since 2009 on the Zaandam to Alaska.  While it was a great cruise, I am a little worried about shows and some nightlife.  It was definitely an older crowd.  Of course, I am now 12 years older and will fit in better.  😁. My friend is only 62, so I am not sure.  

Of course, we may not feel comfortable cruising at all in early 2022.  Who knows?  Either way, I have refundable deposits and we will decide when we get closer.  A lot has to happen first.  

Opinions would be welcomed.  Thanks.  

28 minutes ago, antmaril said:

I have two cruises booked for March, 2022.  The first one that I booked before Christmas is on the Sky Princess to Princess Cay, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.  I have done this itinerary three times (Sky and Regal 2x).  My friend has not.  On Sunday , we found out that an event we would really like to attend has been postponed to either Fall or March 2022.  If March, it would conflict with our Princess cruise.  So, yesterday I booked the Rotterdam to Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curaçao.  This itinerary would be new for both of us.  This cruise is later in March, 2022.  

I have cruised on Princess four times and once on HAL.  All of the cruises were very enjoyable.  As I’ve sailed on the Sky Princess last year, I know it was great and we will have a good time.  I haven’t sailed on HAL since 2009 on the Zaandam to Alaska.  While it was a great cruise, I am a little worried about shows and some nightlife.  It was definitely an older crowd.  Of course, I am now 12 years older and will fit in better.  😁. My friend is only 62, so I am not sure.  

Of course, we may not feel comfortable cruising at all in early 2022.  Who knows?  Either way, I have refundable deposits and we will decide when we get closer.  A lot has to happen first.  

Opinions would be welcomed.  Thanks.  

The Pinnacle Class ships, which is what the Rotterdam is and brand new at that, are a bit different than the Zaandam you sailed on.  I think you will be pleased with the Rotterdam and some added music entertainment venues.  The showers on the Pinnacle Class ships are the best that I have found on any cruise ship.......

Edited by doone
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Oh yea Eurodam was known as the "foodie" ship in the HAL fleet before the pandemic if that helps your decision. I will be on her with my brother in May 2022 for Alaska, pandemic willing.

-Paul

That's definitely a plus in my book!

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

As on your thread on the Princess board, noone has addressed the fact that these are both partial transits, but through different locks.  Eurodam will transit through the old/original locks, while 

Crown is too large for the original locks and will use the new locks.  Other than that, the process is the same.  EM

This right here may make the decision.  My husband is the history buff in the family, and I'm sure he'd rather do the original locks.  I'll have to check with him.... Thank you!!!

14 minutes ago, Mapomp said:

This right here may make the decision.  My husband is the history buff in the family, and I'm sure he'd rather do the original locks.  I'll have to check with him.... Thank you!!!

You are quite welcome.  They are quite different.  Like asking to see a historic house and being taken to a newbuild.  EM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Personally, I adore the Eurodam and that would be my choice. That said, I’m at the point that I’d sign up for a Panama Canal cruise with a dodgy street vendor in a leaky rowboat if I knew it was a go!

Me too.... For now, I'm just obsessively planning.  Things have to ease up by January, right???🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mapomp said:

My husband is the history buff in the family, and I'm sure he'd rather do the original locks. 

It is possible to see the new canal as one's ship is in the original canal.  The locks of the new canal?  No, I didn't see those.  In order to be able to see where the new canal is, (and it won't be apparent throughout a partial canal cruise, based on my experience), a very large container ship sailing through that area will help to make it very obvious as to where the waterway is.  

On 2/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, Mapomp said:

Hi.  I'll be posting this same question on the Princess board, hopefully that's okay.  I am so missing my cruise this year, hoping to do Panama Canal next January (1/22)  Anyway, it's between The Eurodam with additional stops at Aruba and Curacao in a SS vs. Crown Princess with additional stops in Jamaica and Grand Turk in a club class mini suite.  Eurodam has an extra day, as well.

I don't know why, I just can't choose! I've been on both lines before, but not those ships.

Any help??

Thanks 🙂

We have often cruised both lines (Elite on Princess and 5 Star Mariners on HAL) but we think your question is a no-brainer.  We would quickly choose HAL because of the ports (Aruba and Curacao).  Grand Turk is somewhat of a joke since it is a facility owned (and developed) by CCL and simply a beachfront facility with a pool, so-so beach, etc.  Aruba and Curacao are both decent islands for a visit whether you choose to just stay in the port town, rent a car to drive afar, take a tour, etc.

Whether any of this even happens next January (due to COVID restrictions) is still a question but we would book HAL with a refundable fare.

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

The princess cruise that you are looking at is in a club class cabin.  The Club Class dining would be nice.

Yes, and we've never done a cruise in anything above a "regular" mini-suite.  Why is this such a hard decision?? Probably because either way it's going to be a great trip.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapomp said:

Yes, and we've never done a cruise in anything above a "regular" mini-suite.  Why is this such a hard decision?? Probably because either way it's going to be a great trip.  

Having stayed in a Signature Suite on Eurodam's sister ship (Nieuw Amsterdam) and having stayed in a mini suite on Crown's sister ship (Caribbean) I can tell you the Signature Suite is MUCH nicer, and MUCH more modern feeling.  The decor on those old Grand Class ships cabins is a lot like visiting Grandma's house that has been overdue for a remodel for 20 years.  

On 2/2/2021 at 2:26 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Personally, I adore the Eurodam and that would be my choice. That said, I’m at the point that I’d sign up for a Panama Canal cruise with a dodgy street vendor in a leaky rowboat if I knew it was a go!

I love the way you've expressed your viewpoint in this post!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Having stayed in a Signature Suite on Eurodam's sister ship (Nieuw Amsterdam) and having stayed in a mini suite on Crown's sister ship (Caribbean) I can tell you the Signature Suite is MUCH nicer, and MUCH more modern feeling.  The decor on those old Grand Class ships cabins is a lot like visiting Grandma's house that has been overdue for a remodel for 20 years.  

Yes, the Crown is an older ship.  But give that, a person would have to decided between a newer cabin and club Class dinning as being a factor.

• 1 month later...