Check-in

Vera/Lee

My next cruise booking is for May, which is now 90 days out so I was able to complete check-in this morning. Not that I really expect it to sail, but I wanted to see if I could complete it and what changes they have made. Of course I would love it if it sails and would want to have the earliest check-in time possible. (Yes, there are changes to it even from a few months ago. That is encouraging to me because it shows that Royal is ready for when they are allowed to sail.) I had to choose an arrival time and I'm happy with 3 pm. My travel info and arrival time shows complete. The next step is a list of health & safety questions that I have to fill out later, before I can board. My set sail pass shows: Not yet cleared to board - Before you can get onboard, you must: *Answer the health and safety questions the day before your cruise  *Pass the wellness check at the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Will be interesting if they start enforcing the "show up" time. In the past we've been given a time but we've usually shown up very early and we've boarded early with no problem. I can see that enforcing the time may cause some issues but I can also see where not enforcing it may cause the same issues until people start get used to showing up at the assigned time.  

My hope is that people will show some patience with the new procedures that will likely be needed.

56 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Will be interesting if they start enforcing the "show up" time. In the past we've been given a time but we've usually shown up very early and we've boarded early with no problem. I can see that enforcing the time may cause some issues but I can also see where not enforcing it may cause the same issues until people start get used to showing up at the assigned time.  

My hope is that people will show some patience with the new procedures that will likely be needed.

It's been previously mentioned by all the cruiselines that Check-In times will be strictly enforced. If you have seen the Carnival board they had prematurely released all their protocols and one of them was strict adherence to schedule check in times. What one does, all of them do.

(Carnival procedures)Embarkation — By Appointment Only

Only booked guests will be permitted to enter the terminal and boarding area. All guests must complete their online check-in and select an arrival appointment time no later than midnight (Eastern time) prior to their sailing date. Guests must arrive within their selected time to facilitate physical distancing during the check-in and boarding process. Arriving early or late will result in a wait.

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It's been previously mentioned by all the cruiselines that Check-In times will be strictly enforced. If you have seen the Carnival board they had prematurely released all their protocols and one of them was strict adherence to schedule check in times. What one does, all of them do.

(Carnival procedures)Embarkation — By Appointment Only

Only booked guests will be permitted to enter the terminal and boarding area. All guests must complete their online check-in and select an arrival appointment time no later than midnight (Eastern time) prior to their sailing date. Guests must arrive within their selected time to facilitate physical distancing during the check-in and boarding process. Arriving early or late will result in a wait.

totally agree!   Where I see some problems popping up, and hopefully the corporate offices are considering these kinds of issues; some folks are at hotels ahead of sailing and have to check out by the earlies boarding windows which they may not be able to book, thus I suspect there will be groups gathering at the departure port outside the terminal. These folks may end up unable to socially distance which would likely violate CDC guidelines.  Kind of a tough situation for all involved.  Not as big of an issue where most of the pax drive to the port themselves and can more easily regulate their arrival times to meet selected windows. 

Also, not that you made a comment on it, but I also see where as a cruiser who doesn't take your temp before heading to the port and fails the temp/health check and re-check, it would be wise to have pictures of the bags you just handed over unless the temp check is done before you can hand bags over to the porters. That way if you are for health reasons told you can't sail, you can make it easier to ident your bags and get them back so they don't go on a cruise. 

I am certain a lot of planning is going on in the war rooms at the corporate offices and folks there are anxious to get some test cruises going to see if the plans work as well as planned and resolve any unexpected pinch points. I expect the first round of test cruises to bring about some modifications to next test cruises before it is perfected to make it as safe as possible to cruise...in fact probably safer than most land vacations. 

3 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

My next cruise booking is for May, which is now 90 days out so I was able to complete check-in this morning. Not that I really expect it to sail, but I wanted to see if I could complete it and what changes they have made. Of course I would love it if it sails and would want to have the earliest check-in time possible. (Yes, there are changes to it even from a few months ago. That is encouraging to me because it shows that Royal is ready for when they are allowed to sail.) I had to choose an arrival time and I'm happy with 3 pm. My travel info and arrival time shows complete. The next step is a list of health & safety questions that I have to fill out later, before I can board. My set sail pass shows: Not yet cleared to board - Before you can get onboard, you must: *Answer the health and safety questions the day before your cruise  *Pass the wellness check at the terminal.

4 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Hi Cruisers.   We checked in on two of our  four  May cruises the first day available and got the  new standard 300 t0 330 time also.   W e usually get there around 1030  and book jr. and get on early but looks like the cleaning  & new boarding screening changes everything

Edited by villager70

2 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Of all the speculation out there I think enforcing the check in time is pretty much going to be one of the things that WILL happen.  Don't know how that is going to work when folks have to check out of their hotel and/or come from the airport.  Guess we'll find out

21 minutes ago, villager70 said:

Hi Cruisers.   We checked in on two of our  four  May cruises the first day available and got the  new standard 300 t0 330 time also.   W e usually get there around 1030  and book jr. and get on early but looks like the cleaning  & new boarding screening changes everything

There's going to be a lot of folks hanging out in the parking garage.  Or at Fishlip's in PC😇  I'll be at the bar🍹

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

There's going to be a lot of folks hanging out in the parking garage.  Or at Fishlip's in PC😇  I'll be at the bar🍹

With many most likely not boarding until 5 or after they really should start advertising these 7 day cruises as 6 1/2 day sailings.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With many most likely not boarding until 5 or after they really should start advertising these 7 day cruises as 6 1/2 day sailings.

Good point. We get to the terminal early in order  to board early and make embarkation day a Whole day of fun. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don't know where I saw it but somewhere they talked about boarding no later than midnight making it sound like boarding was from the afternoon into the evening

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

Good point. We get to the terminal early in order  to board early and make embarkation day a Whole day of fun. 

We do that as well as getting a parking space in PC before the lot gets full.  I don't know if it ever gets to capacity anymore (it did a few years ago when there were 3 ships there) but the top lot is usually full around 2-3pm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Us as well.  Paid for the day might as well enjoy it. 

That is what I always say! If I remember correctly, when I checked in last for a November 2020 cruise that didn't happen, it said on my set sail pass to show up no later than 2 hours(?) before my boarding time. I think that was to allow time for check-in plus the wellness check. Does anyone else remember that? This time it does not say that and has an arrival time not boarding time.

4 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

That is what I always say! If I remember correctly, when I checked in last for a November 2020 cruise that didn't happen, it said on my set sail pass to show up no later than 2 hours(?) before my boarding time. I think that was to allow time for check-in plus the wellness check. Does anyone else remember that? This time it does not say that and has an arrival time not boarding time.

The 2 hours referred to arriving a minimum of 2 hours before departure.

wording things clearly was not one of Royals strong points. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

I'm assuming a PCR Covid test will be required.  Has anybody determined where you can get tested near Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Port Canaveral and if the test results are guaranteed to be back within a day?  Any preferred testing sites for RCL?

Edited by ipeeinthepool

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve enjoyed arriving early to the cruise, but technically they advertise it as a 7 nights  cruise.