NCL Executives Sell Shares

hbboers

Cruise Industry News just reported

Senior executives at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings sold off shares in the company on March 1, 2021, according to SEC filings.

Of note, President and CEO Frank Del Rio sold 80,821 shares at an average price of $29.85 each for a total of $2,412,506.85.

Harry Sommer, president of the Norwegian brand, disposed of 18,854 company shares at $29.85 for a total of $562,791.90.

Robert Binder, president and CEO of Oceania, sold 21,278 shares at $29.85 each for $635,148.30.

Jason Montague, president and CEO of Regent Seven Seas Cruises, sold 18,854 shares at $29.85 each for $562,791.90

That is over $4.000,000.  For a company that is hurting financially , i think it shows a lack of confidence in the company when it keeps going further  into debt and refusing to give refunds.  Just my opinion

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hbboers said:

Senior executives at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings sold off shares in the company on March 1, 2021, according to SEC filings.

Of note, President and CEO Frank Del Rio sold 80,821 shares at an average price of $29.85 each for a total of $2,412,506.85.

Harry Sommer, president of the Norwegian brand, disposed of 18,854 company shares at $29.85 for a total of $562,791.90.

Robert Binder, president and CEO of Oceania, sold 21,278 shares at $29.85 each for $635,148.30.

Jason Montague, president and CEO of Regent Seven Seas Cruises, sold 18,854 shares at $29.85 each for $562,791.90

That is over $4.000,000.  For a company that is hurting financially , i think it shows a lack of confidence in the company when it keeps going further  into debt and refusing to give refunds.  Just my opinion

NCLH executives' #1 form of compensation has been stock sales.  This is nothing new and no reflection on the executive's confidence in the company.  Note all the sales when times were good.  https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/nclh/insider-activity

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hbboers said:

Looks more like information being presented out of context to me.

How can someone draw any type of conclusion from this information without knowing how much was paid for each share in the first place? Are these sales at a profit or at a loss? How many shares are they still holding? Seems like someone with no faith in a company would sell ALL of their shares...not hold on to a large percentage.

This is, btw, a site where people can post their thoughts. No real need to state "Just my opinion" on a site where everything is someone's opinion.

• Like 1

I've been with more than a couple of companies who granted stock options as compensation.

That's what these shares are.  You're very restricted to when you can sell the options for.  Given they were all sold at the same price, the date they could sell was the same for each.

What we don't know is what the option price they bought the shares for.  So, you can't assume the total amount of the sale equates to any monetary gain (although, I don't know why anyone would sell their options at a loss).

They were probably restricted and not allowed to sell until after the round of financing they closed was completed.  That just happened.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

No...not everything posted here is an opinion. Not by a longshot. And that's a fact...

Well, "not by a longshot" is definately an opinion as I doubt there is research and factual numbers to back it up. 😉

One of the big components of facts is that they are unbiased. However, when someone like the OP shares facts...but only partial facts without a broader context...that is when it slides toward opinion. The OP did present facts, but left out key information in order to promote their personal opinion. We basically got the "what" without the "why" which just leads to conjecture and opinion.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hbboers said:

Were these stock options or something that needed to be bought or sold? 

i dont think that these executives selling shares is really indicative of anything. they probably own a ton of ncl stock or bought low and are making a profit. there are security exchange laws against insider trading so i'm sure what they were doing was all up  o snuff.

why certainly not anywhere near that level, we had some extra $$$ and the stock was quite low, so we bought 100 shares of ncl at $7.00. i figured the worst i could do was lose the 700. it was over $33.00 per share yesterday.  

while i realize im not going  to get rich with my 100 shares, im holding onto them.

i probably have much misplaced confidence in nowegian, but  i've booked a cruise this july, and oct 2022. keeping my fingers and toes crossed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Well, "not by a longshot" is definately an opinion as I doubt there is research and factual numbers to back it up. 😉

One of the big components of facts is that they are unbiased. However, when someone like the OP shares facts...but only partial facts without a broader context...that is when it slides toward opinion. The OP did present facts, but left out key information in order to promote their personal opinion. We basically got the "what" without the "why" which just leads to conjecture and opinion.

You can wave your hands and dance all you want but it doesn't change the fact that your statement about Cruise Critic being "a site where everything is someone's opinion" is just flat out false.

16 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i dont think that these executives selling shares is really indicative of anything. they probably own a ton of ncl stock or bought low and are making a profit. there are security exchange laws against insider trading so i'm sure what they were doing was all up  o snuff.

why certainly not anywhere near that level, we had some extra $$$ and the stock was quite low, so we bought 100 shares of ncl at $7.00. i figured the worst i could do was lose the 700. it was over $33.00 per share yesterday.  

while i realize im not going  to get rich with my 100 shares, im holding onto them.

i probably have much misplaced confidence in nowegian, but  i've booked a cruise this july, and oct 2022. keeping my fingers and toes crossed

Something smells funny...did someone fart?

Please folks go look up RSU's and how you pay tax on them,  @graphicguy is 100% right here.  The higher up you go in a company, the more you have to sell of your RSUs (to pay the tax on the ones you keep), or I mean you can pay out of pocket, but most people don't do that unless they just have money lying around the house.

This is nothing, and I mean nothing to worry about.  I have transactions every year and I honestly hardly ever sell my stock, it's all to cover taxes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You can wave your hands and dance all you want but it doesn't change the fact that your statement about Cruise Critic being "a site where everything is someone's opinion" is just flat out false.

But it isn't false, it is just an opinion. Like it or not, agree with it or not, but it is what it is, and like Ray Parker says "You can't change that"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

But it isn't false, it is just an opinion. Like it or not, agree with it or not, but it is what it is, and like Ray Parker says "You can't change that"

Obvious, you're obviously one of those individuals who doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

It's an intellectual deficiency that's rampant in our world today. If only Moderna or Pfizer could develop a vaccine to prevent it with an efficacy comparable to their COVID-19 vaccines.

To quote the late US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan "“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Obvious, you're obviously one of those individuals who doesn't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

It's an intellectual deficiency that's rampant in our world today. If only Moderna or Pfizer could develop a vaccine to prevent it with an efficacy comparable to their COVID-19 vaccines.

To quote the late US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan "“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

You do realize you're just proving my point, right? Especially with that quote. 

See, we're not talking about facts, we're talking about opinions (and, of course, your compulsive need to win Internet arguments). Facts are supposed to be unbiased. However people, especially many of those on this site, are not. As a result, they tend to cherry-pick when it comes to facts, which, as previously stated introduces bias and veers toward opinion.

For some people, it is simply too difficult to present one without conflating it with the other. Just try not to be so defensive about it. Try not to take everything so personally.

FWIW, I do understand the difference between facts and opinions. However, I believe you don't understand that people here tend to infuse their opinion into factual information (like the OP did in this thread), thereby creating a bias which then skews the "facts" to opinion.

Edited by Capitan Obvious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

You do realize you're just proving my point, right? Especially with that quote. 

See, we're not talking about facts, we're talking about opinions (and, of course, your compulsive need to win Internet arguments). Facts are supposed to be unbiased. However people, especially many of those on this site, are not. As a result, they tend to cherry-pick when it comes to facts, which, as previously stated introduces bias and veers toward opinion.

For some people, it is simply too difficult to present one without conflating it with the other. Just try not to be so defensive about it. Try not to take everything so personally.

FWIW, I do understand the difference between facts and opinions. However, I believe you don't understand that people here tend to infuse their opinion into factual information (like the OP did in this thread), thereby creating a bias which then skews the "facts" to opinion.

You continue to ignore what you wrote, which was that Cruise Critic is "a site where everything is someone's opinion". Your statement is a prime example of someone justifying a factual falsehood by proclaiming it as an "opinion". 

Tell me, if someone asks if the Norwegian Gem has a dining venue for suite passengers, and I, or anyone else, answers that it does for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner, how is that an opinion? It clearly is a fact...and not biased, colored, cherry-picked or any other bogus adjectives or descriptions you'd like to attach to it. 

If someone asks whether the Norwegian Gem can legally cruise an itinerary of New York City to Great Stirrup Cay to St. Kitts to Miami, with all passengers disembarking in Miami, and I, or anyone else answers "no, because as a foreign-flagged ship that itinerary violates the Passenger Vessel Services Act", which prohibits transporting passengers from one US port to another without calling on a distant foreign port...the closest of which to the East Coast of the US are the ABC Islands, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, how is that an opinion? It's not, it's fact pure and simple.

Guess what...those types of purely factual questions and answers are posted every day on Cruise Critic, thereby disproving your false contention that Cruise Critic is "a site where everything is someone's opinion". 

On 3/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, hbboers said:

and refusing to give refunds.  Just my opinion

NCL gave refunds...DW & I got one for our April '20 TA.  Yes, we had to wait a few months but we got the $$.  We read the terms of NCL's offer of a 125% future cruise credit (FCC) VERY CAREFULLY, unlike a LOT of posters here and decided it was NOT a good deal.  So please don't say NCL is refusing to give refunds...they did.  If you opted for the FCC...well you knew (or should have known) what you were agreeing to.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You continue to ignore what you wrote, which was that Cruise Critic is "a site where everything is someone's opinion". Your statement is a prime example of someone justifying a factual falsehood by proclaiming it as an "opinion". 

Tell me, if someone asks if the Norwegian Gem has a dining venue for suite passengers, and I, or anyone else, answers that it does for breakfast and lunch but not for dinner, how is that an opinion? It clearly is a fact...and not biased, colored, cherry-picked or any other bogus adjectives or descriptions you'd like to attach to it. 

If someone asks whether the Norwegian Gem can legally cruise an itinerary of New York City to Great Stirrup Cay to St. Kitts to Miami, with all passengers disembarking in Miami, and I, or anyone else answers "no, because as a foreign-flagged ship that itinerary violates the Passenger Vessel Services Act", which prohibits transporting passengers from one US port to another without calling on a distant foreign port...the closest of which to the East Coast of the US are the ABC Islands, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, how is that an opinion? It's not, it's fact pure and simple.

Guess what...those types of purely factual questions and answers are posted every day on Cruise Critic, thereby disproving your false contention that Cruise Critic is "a site where everything is someone's opinion". 

Again, it seems like you're stuck on the (incorrect) idea that opinion = fiction. An opinion can contain factual information, however those facts simply don't cause it to no longer be an opinion. It is what it is...don't be do defensive about it.

Go back and look at the first post. The OP reported what CIN said, then offered their opinion. However, what the OP also did is that they left out facts. If you look at the actual referenced report, you'll see that the OP left out:

"In moves similar to March 2020, senior executives at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings sold off shares in the company on March 1, 2021, according to SEC filings."

The reported story indicated that this is simply a reiteration of previous activity. No idea why this was edited out of the post. Maybe because it indicated normal activity and not some "loss of faith" action as the narrative was laid out? Who knows? That is what happens when you combine facts with opinion.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Again, it seems like you're stuck on the (incorrect) idea that opinion = fiction. An opinion can contain factual information, however those facts simply don't cause it to no longer be an opinion. It is what it is...don't be do defensive about it.

Go back and look at the first post. The OP reported what CIN said, then offered their opinion. However, what the OP also did is that they left out facts. If you look at the actual referenced report, you'll see that the OP left out:

"In moves similar to March 2020, senior executives at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings sold off shares in the company on March 1, 2021, according to SEC filings."

The reported story indicated that this is simply a reiteration of previous activity. No idea why this was edited out of the post. Maybe because it indicated normal activity and not some "loss of faith" action as the narrative was laid out? Who knows? That is what happens when you combine facts with opinion.

I never made any mention of what the OP posted. I quoted a statement you made that was factually incorrect and my statement was totally independent of anything the OP said. What the OP said may very well be shaded or have omitted some relevant information, but I wasn't commenting about anything the OP said.

You clearly don't understand that fact and fiction can't be the subject of opinion. It's an all too common intellectual shortcoming in today's world.  1+1 = 2 is factually correct and can't be the subject of an opinion. 1+1 = 3 is factually incorrect and can't be the subject of an opinion. Whether it's better to cook a steak medium rare or medium well is a matter of opinion, neither true nor false, and obviously a matter of opinion.

This has dragged on way too long. My apologies to other readers of this thread.

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Not taking sides here at all, just weighing in. I think context is very important, and so is full information.

If I say I lost my job last week, with no further information, that's one thing. But suppose I say I lost my job last week, but got another one beginning next week, that'd change how it's perceived, right?

I saw postings this week that P&O was "CANCELLING ALL CRUISES." Well that sounds pretty bad. Turns out P&O was cancelling all international cruises from the UK, and substituting those with short cruises and UK-only ones. Well that's kinda different than "cancelling all cruises," even though that is technically true. It's not that the information isn't factual, it's just incomplete and, I would argue, misleading. But as @njhorseman correctly points out, there's a lot of mixing facts and opinion out there.