O-Life Flights.

sunbrookgal

30 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

To anyone who has questions about the process, here's my experience:

Yesterday I contacted Oceania and requested OLife air be added to my cruise. About an hour later, I received an email with a new invoice and instructions to go to Oceania Cruises online to request custom air arrangements. I went to "Modify This Booking" and under the "Air, Transfers & Visa" tab I was able to request the custom air fare. Today I received an email with the proposed travel information and I emailed them my acceptance. 

Really, it couldn't be any easier. I don't know why I couldn't find any answers about how it works so I hope this is helpful to anyone with questions. 

May I ask if you only requested economy flights or did you try to request premium economy? Did they had choices for you to look at or did you simple already know the flights you wanted and you requested those?

24 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

May I ask if you only requested economy flights or did you try to request premium economy? Did they had choices for you to look at or did you simple already know the flights you wanted and you requested those?

We didn't request premium economy. We didn't get a choice but we did pay the deviation fee to fly in 3 days before the cruise and leave 3 days after. They emailed me the proposed itinerary and asked for my approval. The flight from Seattle to Venice is on Lufthansa and the flight from Barcelona to Seattle is on Delta. I'm not a fan of Delta but I can live with it. We haven't flown Lufthansa before and we're looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We didn't request premium economy. We didn't get a choice but we did pay the deviation fee to fly in 3 days before the cruise and leave 3 days after. They emailed me the proposed itinerary and asked for my approval. The flight from Seattle to Venice is on Lufthansa and the flight from Barcelona to Seattle is on Delta. I'm not a fan of Delta but I can live with it. We haven't flown Lufthansa before and we're looking forward to it.

You could have asked for different  flights before you accepted what they offered

just saying

7 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

So I’m guessing you’re doing:

Seattle-Frankfort- Venice on Lufthansa and Barcelona-Atlanta-Seattle on Delta? 

Or is there also a BCN-CDG leg on AIr France? Then CDG-ATL?

Edited by pinotlover

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So I’m guessing you’re doing:

Seattle-Frankfort- Venice on Lufthansa and Barcelona-Atlanta-Seattle on Delta? 

Or is there also a BCN-CDG leg on AIr France? Then CDG-ATL?

You got the Venice leg right but it's Barcelona-New York City-Seattle. Times are all good. We've got no complaints 

I asked about flights originating in Atlanta to Buenos Aires and back from either Lima or Santiago but I'm really going to be coming from Pensacola, FL. That isn't an option when I was signing up for the cruise. Does this change any options I might or might not have or do I have to get myself to Atlanta (or DFW or Charlotte, Miami, etc)?

25 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

I asked about flights originating in Atlanta to Buenos Aires and back from either Lima or Santiago but I'm really going to be coming from Pensacola, FL. That isn't an option when I was signing up for the cruise. Does this change any options I might or might not have or do I have to get myself to Atlanta (or DFW or Charlotte, Miami, etc)?

There is a list of the gateways they  fly from  at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

However they will fly you from other airports for an additional fee  or you can make your own way to a gateway airport

Do the math & see what works best  for you

Option 2  take the air credit & book your own air 

• Thanks 1

I have a hard time explaining things when people aren't interested, but a big part of the reason for paying the deviation fee is to get the flights you want, within reason. There is more to it than just going in early and coming home later, although that is part of it. 

On the other hand if Oceania offers you the flights you would book on your own and you would be happy with then I guess there's no problems. Usually I tell my TA what I want, then we see if Oceania will do it and if there is any upcharge. 

Historically an airport like PNS would be $99 per person each way, or $396 total for a couple taking flights coming and going. This would be as long as it's a direct flight from PNS to a Oceania Gateway airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak for anyone else but one of the reasons I used OLife air was to save money. I've been tracking the price for my flights on Google Flights and I was getting worried. The "experts" are warning that there may be a huge price increase on travel once the world opens up and it's already more than I want to pay. Who knows what the price will be later? Using the prices shown on Google Flights for my travel days, I save $800 per person and got decent flights.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I have a hard time explaining things when people aren't interested, but a big part of the reason for paying the deviation fee is to get the flights you want, within reason. There is more to it than just going in early and coming home later, although that is part of it. 

On the other hand if Oceania offers you the flights you would book on your own and you would be happy with then I guess there's no problems. Usually I tell my TA what I want, then we see if Oceania will do it and if there is any upcharge. 

Historically an airport like PNS would be $99 per person each way, or $396 total for a couple taking flights coming and going. This would be as long as it's a direct flight from PNS to a Oceania Gateway airport. 

Thank you so much for this information. Having never cruised O before it’s a bit confusing working through all the intricacies of the line and wanting to get the best value for my dollar. This really helps!

9 hours ago, ORV said:

Just to clarify - we are talking economy fares, right?

And a O newbie question - an upgrade to business and/or early/late date flights ( not coinciding with cruise date) triggers the deviation fee,  Right?

2 hours ago, Homerody said:

Just to clarify - we are talking economy fares, right?

And a O newbie question - an upgrade to business and/or early/late date flights ( not coinciding with cruise date) triggers the deviation fee,  Right?

Yes, and it may be different depending on what non gateway airport you come from, but those are the prices historically for the past few years on where we begin from. I generally connect to an Oceania gateway in ORD, ATL or DFW as my regional airport has direct flights to all of those hubs. I can't buy a roundtrip ticket there for $198. 

In answer to your second question. I generally don't use Business air but it is the general consensus here that you should never book that through Oceania. Take the air credit instead and do your own air. 

Now, any change to the day on either end will trigger the deviation fee. If there is a Premium Economy offer on your cruise then taking that doesn't trigger the deviation. What of course would are the other changes we discussed if done in conjunction with PE. One oddity to all of this is if you are coming from a regional airport like I do then you can not add it on for the $98 each when you take the Premium Economy offer. I have to buy my own tickets to the gateway airport. I don't understand it and it doesn't seem to make sense, but it's their rule. 

Just to add to ORV's  comments

PE is  just for flights over water (the big Pond )

EG: if you are flying  mid west  to NYC  to Paris  the PE is only  for the NYC to CDG  portion

It is  not always offered on all cruises  so  check the specific sailing  for the deal

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/

2) if you choose PE  it is still on the dates cruise begins & ends if you want to fly in/out on different dates  then the Deviation fee applies

3)  Bus class ..DO YOUR OWN  booking  usually cheaper  than O

One other things I've learned; make sure your cruise reservation is in the same name as your ID. They will book the airfare under that name and I think they still require that your name on the ticket matches your ID. Looking back that seems obvious but I didn't think of it. I have no idea why I put my full middle name on the cruise reservation but it's corrected to my initial now.

My airfare is booked and I was able to go to the airlines websites and view my seat assignments. I changed my seat on Delta but I'm sure I'll have to change it again. Every time we've flown Delta, the flight has been changed, usually multiple times. This far out, it will probably change several time. 

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

One other things I've learned; make sure your cruise reservation is in the same name as your ID. They will book the airfare under that name and I think they still require that your name on the ticket matches your ID. Looking back that seems obvious but I didn't think of it. I have no idea why I put my full middle name on the cruise reservation but it's corrected to my initial now.

Airlines don't care about middle names or middle initials.  They are optional.  My air tickets don't show them, even though all my IDs do.

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Airlines don't care about middle names or middle initials.  They are optional.  My air tickets don't show them, even though all my IDs do.

Thank you! I've had issues with this for years and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about it.

54 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Thank you! I've had issues with this for years and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about it.

You mean you've had issues with the airlines or just issues on your own with it?

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

You mean you've had issues with the airlines or just issues on your own with it?

I guess the issue was in my own mind. For some reason I thought that the names had to match. I've always been very careful to make sure they do and I've stressed about the fact that a number of airlines show my name a Patricial rather than Patricia L. It never been a problem though. 

11 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I guess the issue was in my own mind. For some reason I thought that the names had to match. I've always been very careful to make sure they do and I've stressed about the fact that a number of airlines show my name a Patricial rather than Patricia L. It never been a problem though. 

Yeah, I know what you mean, when traveling or preparing to, I stress over a lot of things that really don't matter in the long run. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, patty1955 said:

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I think Patty's advice is still good, because I believe that some immigration officials don't like it if the cruise line manifest and your passport don't agree exactly.  [Every country has the odd Barney Fife...]

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Still, I always make sure that whatever airline reservations I make, my name includes either my middle name or my middle initial, even though my ticket doesn't show it.  In the case of cruises, I always use my full name as on my passport.  I just don't worry about airlines being picky.

Edited by 1985rz1

8 hours ago, ORV said:

Yes, and it may be different depending on what non gateway airport you come from, but those are the prices historically for the past few years on where we begin from. I generally connect to an Oceania gateway in ORD, ATL or DFW as my regional airport has direct flights to all of those hubs. I can't buy a roundtrip ticket there for $198. 

In answer to your second question. I generally don't use Business air but it is the general consensus here that you should never book that through Oceania. Take the air credit instead and do your own air. 

Now, any change to the day on either end will trigger the deviation fee. If there is a Premium Economy offer on your cruise then taking that doesn't trigger the deviation. What of course would are the other changes we discussed if done in conjunction with PE. One oddity to all of this is if you are coming from a regional airport like I do then you can not add it on for the $98 each when you take the Premium Economy offer. I have to buy my own tickets to the gateway airport. I don't understand it and it doesn't seem to make sense, but it's their rule. 

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Just to add to ORV's  comments

PE is  just for flights over water (the big Pond )

EG: if you are flying  mid west  to NYC  to Paris  the PE is only  for the NYC to CDG  portion

It is  not always offered on all cruises  so  check the specific sailing  for the deal

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/

2) if you choose PE  it is still on the dates cruise begins & ends if you want to fly in/out on different dates  then the Deviation fee applies

3)  Bus class ..DO YOUR OWN  booking  usually cheaper  than O

@ORV and @ LHT28 Thank you for your posts.  Very helpful.

I think I am beginning to understand the  brand new (to me) Oceania cruise world!

On 3/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, patty1955 said:

We haven't flown Lufthansa before and we're looking forward to it.

We have - also out of Seattle (where we plan to move in the coming months) - and enjoyed them.