Will the New Summer Sailings from Nassau/St. Maarten Actually Sail?

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

To be fair, the CDC director did mention that DOT was one of them. Perhaps @chengkp75 can provide some insight how DOT and other agencies have a say in cruising to resume.

The senator asked the director specifically about the CSO order.

The senator wasn't asking the director about ship certifications beyond the context of the CSO orders.

The CDC created the CSO but now only another agency or agencies can move it to phase 2?  I don't buy that.  It's just more stalling.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That could be, but, most folks testifying before Congress don't usually set out to lie.

I don't believe she "set out to lie".  

She is clearly well versed in how government works and CYA.

“I can’t simply because I don’t believe it solely in our jurisdiction to address, it’s not necessary the CDC.

Evasive answers that don't paint the director into an absolute lie.

The bottom line is the CDC created the CSO but now claims they can't implement the CSO.  The CSO is now dependent on other nameless agencies.

"I believe the department of transportation and there are numerous others making these decisions”.

That last bit was a statement.  There are numerous others making these decisions.  

If that turns out to be incorrect then she has lied to Congress.

• Like 2

Wife and I have J&J shot, we have traveled 3 times to Cancun since June due to no cruises and will be heading to Punta Cana at end of April.

I would really like to book Adventure in June but the issue that remains for us is the PCR test to reenter the US right now, most All Inclusives are offering this for free 3 days prior to leaving if you stay 7 days.  

If the cruise ship at least offered and even if it cost, I would book but having to get off ship then go find one and hotel accomodations in Nassau or Saint Maarten is my issue.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

If the cruise ship at least offered and even if it cost, I would book but having to get off ship then go find one and hotel accomodations in Nassau or Saint Maarten is my issue.

This is something that needs to be cleared up by Royal, that's for sure.

37 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

Wife and I have J&J shot, we have traveled 3 times to Cancun since June due to no cruises and will be heading to Punta Cana at end of April.

I would really like to book Adventure in June but the issue that remains for us is the PCR test to reenter the US right now, most All Inclusives are offering this for free 3 days prior to leaving if you stay 7 days.  

FWIW Celebrity stated the antigen test on board near the end of the cruise can be used to satisfy the airline requirements.  

Clearly a social media agent doesn't have all the answers.  You raise a great question and now we must wait for Royal to offer an official answer. 

• Like 1

Just now, Plum Happy said:

This should be addressed before people even book the cruise, not 30 days before sailing.

Exactly !! How can anyone book when you won't know anything for sure until 30 days before sailing, when these cruises are booked you will be pass the final payment date..........meaning you won't get a full refund if you have to cancel.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

FWIW Celebrity stated the antigen test on board near the end of the cruise can be used to satisfy the airline requirements.  

Clearly a social media agent doesn't have all the answers.  You raise a great question and now we must wait for Royal to offer an official answer. 

The antigen works, for US - but are they giving it to people in time?

I am going to Secrets and this is AmStars site., they even offer 2 weeks free stay insurance if you don't pass.  

https://info.amresorts.com/coronavirus-covid-19-status

As part of CleanComplete+, guests may receive COVID-19 viral antigen testing on-property at no cost when traveling to valid countries including the U.S., U.K., Germany and Poland.

Edited by josh.vincent.180

Just now, Jimbo said:

Exactly !! How can anyone book when you won't know anything for sure until 30 days before sailing, when these cruises are booked you will be pass the final payment date..........meaning you won't get a full refund if you have to cancel.

At least they are remaining consistent and predictable.  😇

M8

4 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I am going to Secrets and this is AmStars site., they even offer 2 weeks free stay insurance if you don't pass.  

As part of CleanComplete+, guests may receive COVID-19 viral antigen testing on-property at no cost when traveling to valid countries including the U.S., U.K., Germany and Poland.

Pushing the elevator button multiple times does not make the elevator comes faster.

It's a great question.

Asking this question multiple times is not going to make Royal answer it any faster.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

Seems like a much better vacation then getting on a cruise ship right now.....nice insurance if you would have to stay longer and on their dime.

Very Nice, Enjoy your vacation.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't believe she "set out to lie".  

She is clearly well versed in how government works and CYA.

“I can’t simply because I don’t believe it solely in our jurisdiction to address, it’s not necessary the CDC.

Evasive answers that don't paint the director into an absolute lie.

The bottom line is the CDC created the CSO but now claims they can't implement the CSO.  The CSO is now dependent on other nameless agencies.

"I believe the department of transportation and there are numerous others making these decisions”.

That last bit was a statement.  There are numerous others making these decisions.  

If that turns out to be incorrect then she has lied to Congress.

There are a couple people on here with far more expertise than most that have discussed the multiple layers of health and safety protocols that extend beyond the CDC umbrella. It would be incorrect to say those agencies like the Coast Guard and others have no say as their own policies related to cruise ships need adjusted to accommodate COVID risk.

https://cruising.org/en/about-the-industry/policy-priorities/Cruise Industry Regulation

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There are a couple people on here with far more expertise than most that have discussed the multiple layers of health and safety protocols that extend beyond the CDC umbrella. It would be incorrect to say those agencies like the Coast Guard and others have no say as their own policies related to cruise ships need adjusted to accommodate COVID risk.

https://cruising.org/en/about-the-industry/policy-priorities/Cruise Industry Regulation

I'm not suggesting otherwise but the senator from Alaska asked the CDC director specifically about the CDC and CSO.

The senator wasn't asking the director to speculate about agencies and their roles beyond the CSO.  The senate committee can call the other agencies to their committee when appropriate.

The CDC created the CSO but now absolves themselves of it.  "Not us".

This thread made me think more than when I originally thought, “definitely!” to wanting to do one of these cruises. It does seem risky that the 2 embarkation ports have limited hospital facilities, and since the US is clearly being bypassed for these cruises, I doubt any special exceptions would want to be made to bring the ship to the US in the case of an emergency. Also, in reading that the Philippines is experiencing a surge, I can’t imagine how they’re going to get enough vaccinated crew from around the world unless they plan on vaccinating them themselves. Has anyone heard?

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

That all may well be true. But if those other agencies had that much clout, she could have phased it a lot better than just making it sound like she was washing the CDC's hands of the CSO.

3 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

This thread made me think more than when I originally thought, “definitely!” to wanting to do one of these cruises.

I agree, the points you highlight are concerning.  It certainly made me think again about jumping into these cruises. 

However crisis medical care may not be as risky as it sounds at first.  They may be allowed to get individual medical emergencies to US hospitals by moving the ship into helicopter evacuation range.  This must not be too uncommon, as I've seen it happen twice in a relatively few cruises.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes