CLIA calls on CDC to lift US Cruise Ban

kdr69

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

the new variants taking hold in this country spread far easier than the original strain? 

Well if there was real concern they would address how they are getting in to the Country because as ive said before they didnt swim here or take a cruise ship now did they?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I was aware but to me they still should have been keeping things moving forward regardless of an end date.

Fain from rcl said the cdc cso is unworkable as written. He says impossible to move forward.

Rcl now has announced 5 sailings from other ports, celebrity from another and ncl will probably have a announcement this week. Imo they are moving elsewhere because they see no hope from cdc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

. Imo they are moving elsewhere because they see no hope from cdc. 

Well I cant blame them as there are bound to be only two choices if there is no decision in site.  Resume Operations or close up shop.  If the CDC finds this to be such a monumentally huge task lord help us all when they get something tougher.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Well if there was real concern they would address how they are getting in to the Country because as ive said before they didnt swim here or take a cruise ship now did they?

The new variants are mutations of the original strain of COVID 19.  They tend to be named after the geographical location where they are first discovered or reported. So for example, the Spanish Flu actually didn't originate in Spain. It's just that is where it was first reported. ( During World War I many countries wouldn't allow their local media to report on the flu outbreak, but Spanish newspapers were allowed to report on the outbreak. )

But I share your frustration with many aspects of the CDC's behavior.

3 minutes ago, john91498 said:

I just noticed you're from Canada, does the CDC have any authority there?

No, but everyone tends to quote their guidelines regardless of where your at.  They are the leading "Expert" it appears.  

• Like 2

After watching that video of the Director of the CDC with the Senator, I think that the CDC is totally unqualified to be running the show. They have had over 5 months and haven't even (yet) done the first step that they said they would do. They should start doing something, or step aside and get out of the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

After watching that video of the Director of the CDC with the Senator, I think that the CDC is totally unqualified to be running the show. They have had over 5 months and haven't even (yet) done the first step that they said they would do. They should start doing something, or step aside and get out of the way.

Not 5 months since the CDC got a new sheriff. The Senator needs to worry more about doing her job and getting rid of PVSA. She's been there for years.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rcl now has announced 5 sailings from other ports, celebrity from another and ncl will probably have a announcement this week. Imo they are moving elsewhere because they see no hope from cdc. 

JMO I agree that NCL is getting ready to do something similar with all their cancellations marked as "redeployments":

• Norwegian Encore: all embarkation dates from July 4, 2021 through and including October 28, 2021
  • Norwegian Jewel: all embarkation dates from July 5, 2021 through and including October 6, 2021
  • Norwegian Jade: all embarkation dates from July 4, 2021 through and including November 4, 2021
  • Norwegian Joy: all embarkation dates from July 1, 2021 through and including October 9, 2021
  • Norwegian Gem: all embarkation dates from July 1, 2021 through and including October 22, 2021

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

The virus is obviously spreading primarily by air travel.  

Cruising is being singled out because there's no argument that it is necessary.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, groundloop said:

How about the fact that Covid has killed well over a half million Americans already, and that the new variants taking hold in this country spread far easier than the original strain?  If people would get their head out of the sand and realize that this virus is a serious health threat maybe we'd get back to cruising sooner.

Sooooo tired, so very tired of these dumb statements...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/02/14/why-coronavirus-cases-are-dropping/

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Such language. Numbers on CDC lag, but I digress. Deaths and total cases can decline while cases in most states are rising. Positivity rates are also increasing.  Reread as much as necessary.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

The complete inaction by the CDC is a dereliction of duty and I can only think of two reasons why they have not taken any steps toward rolling out new guidelines.

1. They want to break the cruise lines, or

2. They are hoping the vaccine program will allow them to lift the order or not renew it effective November 1, saving themselves a lot of time and work.

I think you are absolutely correct on both of these points. Our Government has no love for the cruise industry. No matter what people say about them bringing money to ports, they flout taxes, US employment laws and often environmental laws. They have to be hated. I think #2 was their plan all along. They never had any intention of allowing cruising again until they deemed covid outbreaks a small threat. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tippyton said:

I think one thing the CDC is waiting on is to see if Americans can follow simple instructions and stay safe on cruise lines without degenerating.

So which cruise lines are Americans currently sailing on so the CDC can see if this is happening?  Without the CDC advancing the framework to the point of actually sailing i cant see them being able to gather this data.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

So which cruise lines are Americans currently sailing on so the CDC can see if this is happening?  Without the CDC advancing the framework to the point of actually sailing i cant see them being able to gather this data.  

There are small US cruise lines sailing that don't fall under the CDC guidelines and Royal selling cruises from the Bahamas and other ports that will be largely American. No doubt media and ambulance chasers will be covering.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

CLIA isn't wrong. The complete inaction by the CDC is a dereliction of duty and I can only think of two reasons why they have not taken any steps toward rolling out new guidelines.

1. They want to break the cruise lines, or

2. They are hoping the vaccine program will allow them to lift the order or not renew it effective November 1, saving themselves a lot of time and work.

Being skeptical of conspiracy theories (and being very familiar with government agencies and their reluctance to give themselves extra work), I'm hoping for option 2.

Totally agree with you, but to me this is where CLIA completely dropped the ball:

"While some cruise lines have announced a few sailings catering to those who have received vaccinations, CLIA does not currently have a policy related to vaccines. The organization and its members are exploring a workable approach for how to consider vaccinations, once widely available, as part of robust protocols." 

They could have and IMO should have already put together and explained in detail a vaccines-required policy for all the cruise lines under the CLIA umbrella, to show the CDC and everyone else that they mean business in regards to protecting the sailing public as well as the staff, crew, and port communities. I know they don't want to possibly alienate any pro-disease guests, but they're shooting themselves in the foot that way. Even if the guest roster was an even 50/50 on vaccines/no vaccines, CLIA being all vague on policy about such a thing doesn't help get *anyone* sailing, and zero minus zero is still zero.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

They could have and IMO should have already put together and explained in detail a vaccines-required policy for all the cruise lines under the CLIA umbrella, to show the CDC and everyone else that they mean business in regards to protecting the sailing public as well as the staff, crew, and port communities.

Carnival floated a trial balloon, IMHO, when they "accidentally" posted their H&S guidelines for resumption of cruising a while back.  The reaction they got made it quite clear there was no good way to require vaccines without causing an uproar, at the time.

I think (again, IMHO) that the public is starting to come around to the idea of requiring proof of vaccinations.

I also think the cruise lines are figuring out how to get their crews vaccinated - they can't just book an appointment at CVS or Publix or walk into a FEMA site.  I don't think all those problems are 100% solved, but getting closer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazy4themouse said:

They could have and IMO should have already put together and explained in detail a vaccines-required policy for all the cruise lines under the CLIA umbrella, to show the CDC and everyone else that they mean business in regards to protecting the sailing public as well as the staff, crew, and port communities. I know they don't want to possibly alienate any pro-disease guests, but they're shooting themselves in the foot that way. Even if the guest roster was an even 50/50 on vaccines/no vaccines, CLIA being all vague on policy about such a thing doesn't help get *anyone* sailing, and zero minus zero is still zero.

I think this is one of the things the CDC is waiting for - a unified, consistent approach for all cruise lines across the board, and not for each cruise line to go its own way unless they are experimenting trying to find something that works. If they are still experimenting, they are not ready for prime time sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crazy4themouse said:

Totally agree with you, but to me this is where CLIA completely dropped the ball:

"While some cruise lines have announced a few sailings catering to those who have received vaccinations, CLIA does not currently have a policy related to vaccines. The organization and its members are exploring a workable approach for how to consider vaccinations, once widely available, as part of robust protocols." 

They could have and IMO should have already put together and explained in detail a vaccines-required policy for all the cruise lines under the CLIA umbrella, to show the CDC and everyone else that they mean business in regards to protecting the sailing public as well as the staff, crew, and port communities. 

Therein the challenge lies. Vaccines aren't currently widely available.  All adults are not currently eligible to receive them in the US.  Children are not at all eligible.  And as a previous poster stated, the crew have no way of easily getting a vaccine either, whether in their home countries or in the US.

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I think something was awry with my comment - I think it was a requote from someone else who said that and my comment got deleted.  Operator error i'm sure b/c I can assure you I wouldn't write that.  Your point is valid.

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I think this is one of the things the CDC is waiting for - a unified, consistent approach for all cruise lines across the board, and not for each cruise line to go its own way unless they are experimenting trying to find something that works. If they are still experimenting, they are not ready for prime time sailing.

Just to let you know I agree with a lot of your points @BlerkOneand some to a degree and some not so much lol but that is what civilized discussion is about so appreciate your comments whenever i see them.  The CDC is in my opinion the driver and must be very clear on what it is they want to see in place as it is their Framework not the Cruise lines.  Each of them seem to be waiting for the other to make some decision.  My issue is the constant "We are working on the next step and its coming soon" comment from the CDC.  Its been 6 months since the first step?  Whats the old saying "so is christmas"?  In the Corporate world "coming soon" would never be an acceptable reply to your Manager.  At the very minimum they should already have a clear idea on rollout dates for each step and a timeline in place even if its subject to change based on conditions. That alone is frustrating everybody and is not what people need right now.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

I think something was awry with my comment - I think it was a requote from someone else who said that and my comment got deleted.  Operator error i'm sure b/c I can assure you I wouldn't write that.  Your point is valid.

No worries my reply was more in a clarification tone than an confrontational tone.  Thanks for commenting.

• Like 1