Jump to content

Celebrity Silhouette to sail from UK 2021


Ulsteinvik
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HappyCamper49 said:

We were scheduled on the Silhouette's Sept. 2020 out of Southampton, but had to lift & shift to Sept. 2021.  We completed our second dose of Pfizer vaccine Feb. 13.  We are daring to hope to be able to sail this year!  Hope the UK will allow foreigners then.  We only have the cards given to us with each dose and hope that will be acceptable as proof of vaccination. 

Hopefully  we will learn more as and when bookings are taken for the UK residents only cruises.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

We were scheduled on the Silhouette's Sept. 2020 out of Southampton, but had to lift & shift to Sept. 2021.  We completed our second dose of Pfizer vaccine Feb. 13.  We are daring to hope to be able to sail this year!  Hope the UK will allow foreigners then.  We only have the cards given to us with each dose and hope that will be acceptable as proof of vaccination. 

 

I hope it works out for you, especially since we have flights booked to Tampa for the end of September.  I am hoping, and expecting, there to be an 'air corridor' between the US and the UK by then as both countries are forging ahead with vaccinations.  You have to have hope, right 😉?   We're booking to go on the Silhouette UK trip on 23rd July so fingers crossed all of the UK trips go ahead without a hitch 🤞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, HappyCamper49 said:

We were scheduled on the Silhouette's Sept. 2020 out of Southampton, but had to lift & shift to Sept. 2021.  We completed our second dose of Pfizer vaccine Feb. 13.  We are daring to hope to be able to sail this year!  Hope the UK will allow foreigners then.  We only have the cards given to us with each dose and hope that will be acceptable as proof of vaccination. 

The projected date to allow international travel for holidays is 17th May in the  UK. Looks like there will be a traffic light system for countries  and hopefully America will be green which means no quarentine.  But of course it will also depend if USA will also allow traffic back from UK or Europe for your travel plans to work. 

 

Edited by sgmn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

For anyone on the 6 night summer UK cruises, there has been a price reduction of around £90-£100 per person. If you booked before end of April, Celebrity will honour their best price guarantee - which is unusual for the UK!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Spike11 said:

For anyone on the 6 night summer UK cruises, there has been a price reduction of around £90-£100 per person. If you booked before end of April, Celebrity will honour their best price guarantee - which is unusual for the UK!

We booked last Friday, 30/04/21 and I was surprised that we were charged £100 p.p less than the advertised rate. I incorrectly assumed it was a TA offer, as we were told it expired on that day, but maybe it was the  Celebrity offer that you mention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that Celebrity have reduced the headline prices on the summer sailings again about £100 per person- but by the introduction an inside cabin guarantee. Of course, with the reduced capacity on these sailings, no inside cabins have been on sale so far. Is this a slightly sneaky way of avoiding honouring the price guarantee? I wonder if everyone booking an inside guarantee will actually end up in a balcony cabin? In the unlikely event of a COVID outbreak would Celebrity really want passengers in an inside cabin?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Interesting that Celebrity have reduced the headline prices on the summer sailings again about £100 per person- but by the introduction an inside cabin guarantee. Of course, with the reduced capacity on these sailings, no inside cabins have been on sale so far. Is this a slightly sneaky way of avoiding honouring the price guarantee? I wonder if everyone booking an inside guarantee will actually end up in a balcony cabin? In the unlikely event of a COVID outbreak would Celebrity really want passengers in an inside cabin?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If you select the either inside or oceanview guarantee cabins, a message appears specifically to say that the cabin will be assigned at boarding. (Whereas normally guarantee cabins are assigned prior to boarding). 

 

Another observation is that, at least for the cruise I checked, the solo supplement is only 25% rather than the normal 100%. Maybe they're realised that when sailing at reduced capacity, they can make more money (25% more in this case) by selling 2 cabins both for solo occupancy, than selling one cabin for two people and leaving the other one empty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, barbette165 said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If you select the either inside or oceanview guarantee cabins, a message appears specifically to say that the cabin will be assigned at boarding. (Whereas normally guarantee cabins are assigned prior to boarding). 

 

Another observation is that, at least for the cruise I checked, the solo supplement is only 25% rather than the normal 100%. Maybe they're realised that when sailing at reduced capacity, they can make more money (25% more in this case) by selling 2 cabins both for solo occupancy, than selling one cabin for two people and leaving the other one empty.

Yes the deal for solo travellers is brilliant at the moment ( I think it only appeared today, as I’ve been checking for a relative).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked out the Celebrity website today and the first page is "Discover the best of the British Isles with our unique shore excursions". I followed the link to see what was on offer for my July Silhouette cruise. The first thing I see is this: 

 

Guests are required to take Celebrity Cruises shore excursions in port.

 

I know this was something that had been discussed earlier, but I thought it may be different on the UK cruises, mine is only visiting Greenock and Belfast. Also, there are hardly any excursions available in these ports. I know things could change over time, but I was surprised to see it on the same day I received an email from Cruise Critic with this information:

 

In a major win for cruise fans, the CDC updated its Conditional Sailing Order on May 12 to loosen mask-wearing requirements for fully vaccinated cruise passengers. The agency says those who are vaccinated "may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors." 

 

I expect Celebrity do not have to follow CDC guidelines when sailing from a UK port, but It is all so confusing. 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

I checked out the Celebrity website today and the first page is "Discover the best of the British Isles with our unique shore excursions". I followed the link to see what was on offer for my July Silhouette cruise. The first thing I see is this: 

 

Guests are required to take Celebrity Cruises shore excursions in port.

 

I know this was something that had been discussed earlier, but I thought it may be different on the UK cruises, mine is only visiting Greenock and Belfast. Also, there are hardly any excursions available in these ports. I know things could change over time, but I was surprised to see it on the same day I received an email from Cruise Critic with this information:

 

In a major win for cruise fans, the CDC updated its Conditional Sailing Order on May 12 to loosen mask-wearing requirements for fully vaccinated cruise passengers. The agency says those who are vaccinated "may engage in self-guided or independent exploration during port stops, if they wear a mask while indoors." 

 

I expect Celebrity do not have to follow CDC guidelines when sailing from a UK port, but It is all so confusing. 😕

 

Hi @laslomas, I don't think it's that confusing since the cruise line must follow the rules of the country in which they are sailing / departure ports.

 

I have just spotted this information also re the Southampton cruises as we're booked for August 14th sailing - and it is based on the guidance / rules set out by the UK Chamber of Shipping, but the document it is based on is from October 2020 and so I think it is possibly out of date - but - until it is updated, those are the rules they must abide by. Information can be found here with the links to the passenger info and operator info at the bottom of the page.

Industry comes together to develop new COVID-19 Framework for cruise operators | Chamber of Shipping (ukchamberofshipping.com)

 

I am hoping that, since these cruises are all UK / Common Travel Area residents only, and all vaccinated (or tested if under 18), and with restrictions gradually being lifted, this framework will be updated accordingly. But for now, since this is the only published information available, it's what has to be.

 

Hope that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bretty said:

 

Hi @laslomas, I don't think it's that confusing since the cruise line must follow the rules of the country in which they are sailing / departure ports.

 

I have just spotted this information also re the Southampton cruises as we're booked for August 14th sailing - and it is based on the guidance / rules set out by the UK Chamber of Shipping, but the document it is based on is from October 2020 and so I think it is possibly out of date - but - until it is updated, those are the rules they must abide by. Information can be found here with the links to the passenger info and operator info at the bottom of the page.

Industry comes together to develop new COVID-19 Framework for cruise operators | Chamber of Shipping (ukchamberofshipping.com)

 

I am hoping that, since these cruises are all UK / Common Travel Area residents only, and all vaccinated (or tested if under 18), and with restrictions gradually being lifted, this framework will be updated accordingly. But for now, since this is the only published information available, it's what has to be.

 

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link. It is strange it has not been updated in 6 months, so I see that is why it remains as Celebrity shore excursions only.

I am interested in this information that seems to be from a US body, but explains restrictions on UK cruises. It also mentions that changes could come at 21st June, which is the next step in our Covid restrictions being relaxed. So I am hoping that there will be a relaxing of the shore excursion policy at the same time. I shall certainly wait until then before making any excursion bookings

 Capacity and Gathering Restrictions set for U.K. Domestic Cruises (maritime-executive.com)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Christine Frances said:

Does anyone in the UK know if this is going forward?

 

NHS app ready to become vaccine passport next week https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57070185

I’ve had the app for some time and use it for repeat prescriptions etc.  Interestingly it already shows that I have had the first jab in my records.  So in effect it’s already up and running although the info is a little hard to find.  Think this is in fact just an update to make the info a bit clearer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those on Silhouette visiting Belfast, this may be of interest.

 

When cruise ships and their  passengers return to Belfast they will be required to operate within the NI COVID regulations in place at that time.

 

In line with health guidelines, Belfast Harbour and Visit Belfast have been working closely with the Public Health Agency, Port Health Authority, Maritime Policing and  Belfast City Council’s Emergency Planning Team to put in place measures to support the safe return of cruise tourism to Belfast, and Northern Ireland.

 

The newly formed Belfast Cruise Operations Group (BCOG), led by the Public Health NI’s Emergency Planning Manager has developed a Covid-19 Port Management Plan for Belfast.

 

Additionally, cruise operators with the Cruise Lines International Association have collaborated extensively with health agencies, and governments, in implementing extra health protection on board their ships, and within their shore excursion programmes, as well as agreeing to operate in accordance with UK Chamber of Shipping’s Covid-19 Framework for Cruise.

 

Cruise operators will be required to work closely with the BCOG, adhering to strict protocols for the embarkation and disembarkation of passengers, as well as aligning with local guidance provided by the NI Executive. For the Guidelines in place in the UK for the safe return to Cruise, passenger capacity limits are currently set at 1,000 passengers or 50% capacity of each ship (whichever is smaller), and only passengers who are resident in the UK will be allowed to board a cruise from a British port with most cruise lines requiring proof of vaccinations, and/or negative PCR tests. 

 

Port calls with embarkation and disembarkation will be managed through tightly controlled tour excursions to pre-notified destinations, supporting passengers to remain in ‘bubbles’ to minimise risk.  Passengers will not be able to disembark a ship unless they are travelling on one of the cruise lines pre-agreed tour excursions.

 

Cruise Belfast has maintained regular contact with the cruise lines, their shipping agents and shore-excursion companies, throughout the crisis. They have been keeping them informed of the work being done to support the return of cruises for the coming season in line with all current health and safety requirements, to retain as much of the cruise business as possible for the coming season.

 

To facilitate the Covid-19 Port Management Plan, further investment has been made to the Cruise Welcome Facility situated in D1, Airport Road West, with  funding support from Tourism Northern Ireland.  This includes:

•            Terminal reception area extended and enhanced to allow for more space for embarking and disembarking passengers.

•            Terminal upgrades including plexiglass installation, hand sanitising stations, temperature check stations and thermal people counters to limit persons within the space.

•            Removal of seating within terminal to avoid congregation.

•            Daily ‘fogging’ and upgraded cleansing programme.      

•            Separate entrance for third party service providers requiring quayside access.

•            Isolation facility for anyone displaying symptoms.

 

Enhanced health and safety measures for disembarkation of passengers will include:

            Passenger temperature scanning.

            One way systems.

            Contactless touchpoints.

            Staggered disembarkation.

            Capacity restrictions in terminal building / pier area.

            Queue management protocols.

            Maintenance of social distancing at all times.

            Clear and visible signage with hands / face / space messaging.

            Local workforce testing.

            Traffic control of excursion buses (as applicable).

            Meticulous sanitation of excursion transportation.

Edited by BigAl94
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, mrsgoggins said:

 We're booking to go on the Silhouette UK trip on 23rd July so fingers crossed all of the UK trips go ahead without a hitch 🤞

Hi there mrsgoggins, we have also booked to go on the UK cruise on 23Jul2021. Really looking forward to getting back on board and relaxing at Al Bacio or the Passport Bar. See you on board!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tipsy252 said:

Hi there mrsgoggins, we have also booked to go on the UK cruise on 23Jul2021. Really looking forward to getting back on board and relaxing at Al Bacio or the Passport Bar. See you on board!


👋🏼 You could most definitely be seeing me at Al Bacio (just writing those words makes me smile!) but unlikely at the Passport, or any other bar.  So looking forward to it but just hoping for calm-ish seas since I have had ‘incidents’ in both the Irish Sea and the North Sea in my past 🤢.  Any guesses on the CD?  Sue or Dan maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, laslomas said:

Thanks for the link. It is strange it has not been updated in 6 months, so I see that is why it remains as Celebrity shore excursions only.

I am interested in this information that seems to be from a US body, but explains restrictions on UK cruises. It also mentions that changes could come at 21st June, which is the next step in our Covid restrictions being relaxed. So I am hoping that there will be a relaxing of the shore excursion policy at the same time. I shall certainly wait until then before making any excursion bookings

 Capacity and Gathering Restrictions set for U.K. Domestic Cruises (maritime-executive.com)

It looks like the US website has paraphrased that info from here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel . Not much more info on this page though and ultimately it just links back to the article Bretty found (thank you).
 

Re the CD, I’ve also read somewhere that it is Dan. He’s definitely on board a Celebrity ship somewhere as he posted a story on a social media site earlier this week....he didn’t say which ship though!


We are also booked on the July 23rd cruise.... desperately trying not to have any preconceptions about what it will be like if it happens, just reminding myself that it’ll be great to be out at sea again whatever rules apply!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Somewhere Iv’e read Dan.

 Never come across him.

Just wondering where Sue will be?

 

Dan = affable northerner from the Bolton region, recycles some of Peter Kay's jokes, good operatic singing voice which takes you by surprise!  I'd be delighted if they manage to produce Jayne Curry as one of the entertainers 🤞

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve had an e-mail overnight to say that our reservation for our cruise on 17th July has been cancelled ( as has a relative). Currently trying to contact TA to find out what is going on! Anyone else has theirs cancelled? A bit of a shocking way to find out - no apology or reason in the e-mail.

Edited by Spike11
Incorrect date
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

We’ve had an e-mail overnight to say that our reservation for our cruise on 23rd July has been cancelled ( as has a relative). Currently trying to contact TA to find out what is going on! Anyone else has theirs cancelled? A bit of a shocking way to find out - no apology or reason in the e-mail.

 

I am booked on that cruise and have heard nothing.  Was the email from the TA or from Celebrity? 

 

I see you have now edited your post to change the date.  Phew!  Sorry you have had your plans disrupted though.  I wonder why they have done that, assuming that your email is correct.

Edited by mrsgoggins
PP changed info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my goodness so did I this morning. Our 3rd July sailing. Can't talk to Celebrity till 9am but have left messages with my cruise consultant. Our cabin is showing as available on the website now. I booked direct with Celebrity. Just hoping its an admin error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, vino123 said:

Oh my goodness so did I this morning. Our 3rd July sailing. Can't talk to Celebrity till 9am but have left messages with my cruise consultant. Our cabin is showing as available on the website now. I booked direct with Celebrity. Just hoping its an admin error.

I have had the same email for 31st July, booking been deleted from celebrity upcoming cruises, our cabins available to book online etc. It's not looking good. We only booked just over a1week ago. Nearly all the hotels were booked for the night before the cruise so we ended up paying a lot for our hotel for the 5 of us.Trains were saying only 6 seats left so we had to book the trains. I assume we will lose everything apart from the deposit. This is our 3 cruise we have had cancelled now. We had 2 last year Feb and May and thought we would be safe with this one,  everyone had to have had both vaccines etc. We are gutted as we were taking our granddaughter on her first family holiday.

 

Edited by debbieb5red
spelling , grammar etc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hoping it's an admin error. Seems strange people on various Southampton sailings got this e mail overnight yet the cruises are still available to book online. Just patiently waiting to get hold of someone from Celebrity to find out is going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Announcement: Sail with Marella Cruises ~ Sponsored by Marella Cruises
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...