Trying to figure out how to get to Ravenna, Italy for late Sept cruise

rydersgrandpa

I am trying to figure out the best way to get to Ravenna, Italy for a cruise in late September. 

Fly into Venice?  Or fly into Bologna? We like to go a day or two in advance, and spend the last night 

in the port city.  But, no good transportation. and no name hotels in Ravenna?  Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, rydersgrandpa said:

I am trying to figure out the best way to get to Ravenna, Italy for a cruise in late September. 

Fly into Venice?  Or fly into Bologna? We like to go a day or two in advance, and spend the last night 

in the port city.  But, no good transportation. and no name hotels in Ravenna?  Any suggestions?

Are Americans allowed to fly into the EU currently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bologna is nearer and less travel time.You could stay over there before and after your cruise.

I read the article on here  about large  cruise ships going outside Venice to an industrial port called Marghera and I am hoping that RCI might change our sailing from Ravenna to there.

If you google it it shows from Venice you need to take a bus then a train with a change to Ravenna and then a transfer or taxi to the port.The straight transfer from Venice to Ravenna was quite expensive.

Too much of a hassle for us.

Edited by orla56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rydersgrandpa said:

RCG are offering transfers to and from Marco Polo airport.

44 minutes ago, orla56 said:

Bologna is nearer and less travel time.You could stay over there before and after your cruise.

I read the article on here  about large  cruise ships going outside Venice to an industrial port called Marghera and I am hoping that RCI might change our sailing from Ravenna to there.

If you google it it shows from Venice you need to take a bus then a train with a change to Ravenna and then a transfer or taxi to the port.The straight transfer from Venice to Ravenna was quite expensive.

Too much of a hassle for us.

RCI offer free shuttles from VCE airport this year. Assume the same next year 

Thanks little britain.My husband has a pobia of going on a journey with no toilet or rest stop as I discussed on another thread so he doesn't want to use the free Royal transfer.

I thought the OP was doing their own travel arrangements so didn't suggest the Royal transfer.I think that would be expensive as well. 

Edited by orla56

On 3/28/2021 at 1:24 PM, rydersgrandpa said:

My adventure to Ravenna and beyond on a cruise from there to Malaga, Spain. Flew from western Canada to Venice. Stayed for three nights across from the station in Mestre ( had been to Venice before).Hotel half the price of Venice. Restaurants twice as good at half the price. Bought a three day public travel pass for buses and canal travel at a shop next door.Walked and walked till I dropped two days in Venice. Train from Mestre station, just across the street from hotel, to Ravenna with a change of trains in Ferrara. On arriving in Ravenna, wheeled our luggage fifty yards to a perfectly respectable three star hotel. Toured the city for an afternoon, evening and next morning admiring the wonderful mosaics Ravenna is famous for. Found nice local restaurants for meals. Next day, early afternoon, took a cab to Porto Corsini to board our ship, Pullmantur’s Zenith for our seven night relocation cruise to Malaga. Stops at Split, Corfu, Katakolon, Messina and Cagliari. Weather turned a little wild at Cagliari, so had a real rock and roller overnight to Malaga and arrived five and a half hours late. Cab to our hotel in Malaga and while relaxing in the bar,saw bus loads unloading with cruise ship staff from the Zenith as well as Adventure of the Seas for their end of season party, lots of fun. Flew the next morning to Paris for a three nighter in a three star in the ninth arrondisement, a nice ending to a nice trip. Then back home to Canada.

• Like 5

We are booked on Rhapsody for late August this year having done a L&S from last August. When we did the L&S we were given free transfers from Marco Polo airport to Ravenna. I cannot see any chance of Rhapsody sailing from Italy this year and note that Rhapsody is still berthed in St Maarten. Would be happy to L&S to next year if cancelled as we got a good deal with £1 flight promotion.

Edited by HalifaxYorksCruiser
Typo

For cruise departures in Northern Italy, fly to Milan Malpensa airport and take pre-booked Trenitalia First Class rail service to port city from Milan Centrale station. Use Malpensa Express train service from airport to Milan Centrale. Have done it both ways to/from Venice Santa Lucia station. Have fun!

PS There is a wonderful restaurant in Milan Centrale on the far left as you enter the station from the track side. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:05 PM, Downdie said:

My adventure to Ravenna and beyond on a cruise from there to Malaga, Spain. Flew from western Canada to Venice. Stayed for three nights across from the station in Mestre ( had been to Venice before).Hotel half the price of Venice. Restaurants twice as good at half the price. Bought a three day public travel pass for buses and canal travel at a shop next door.Walked and walked till I dropped two days in Venice. Train from Mestre station, just across the street from hotel, to Ravenna with a change of trains in Ferrara. On arriving in Ravenna, wheeled our luggage fifty yards to a perfectly respectable three star hotel. Toured the city for an afternoon, evening and next morning admiring the wonderful mosaics Ravenna is famous for. Found nice local restaurants for meals. Next day, early afternoon, took a cab to Porto Corsini to board our ship, Pullmantur’s Zenith for our seven night relocation cruise to Malaga. Stops at Split, Corfu, Katakolon, Messina and Cagliari. Weather turned a little wild at Cagliari, so had a real rock and roller overnight to Malaga and arrived five and a half hours late. Cab to our hotel in Malaga and while relaxing in the bar,saw bus loads unloading with cruise ship staff from the Zenith as well as Adventure of the Seas for their end of season party, lots of fun. Flew the next morning to Paris for a three nighter in a three star in the ninth arrondisement, a nice ending to a nice trip. Then back home to Canada.

What was the name of your hotel in Ravenna?  Sounds like you figured it out!

On 4/2/2021 at 9:13 AM, NavArch64 said:

For cruise departures in Northern Italy, fly to Milan Malpensa airport and take pre-booked Trenitalia First Class rail service to port city from Milan Centrale station. Use Malpensa Express train service from airport to Milan Centrale. Have done it both ways to/from Venice Santa Lucia station. Have fun!

PS There is a wonderful restaurant in Milan Centrale on the far left as you enter the station from the track side. 

That is the info I was looking for, thanks!!

I would get up to 4 people from my Meet and Mingle thread here on CC, and book a private limo.  Out of curiosity, I checked this out.  I'd fly into MP and stay in Venice a few days ahead, transfer to Ravenna, the do the reverse after the cruise.  I can't get enough of Venice.

Using our family as an example, we would have 6 adults.  I'd split them into two cars 3+3.  The total cost, before tip, would be $88 per person roundtrip.  That's perfectly doable IMO.

I HATE doing multiple transfers to get anywhere:  I'm even whiney about BART that I've ridden since the 1970's.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, rydersgrandpa said:

What was the name of your hotel in Ravenna?  Sounds like you figured it out!

Hotel Italia, a two minute walk to the left from the station. A modest three star with very few amenities, but it was clean, had outstanding front desk staff, and provided an acceptable breakfast in the morning.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, NavArch64 said:

According to the Trenitalia website there is no direct train from Milan to Ravenna. There will be at least one change in Bologna and total travel time will be approximately 4 hours.  Far better to fly into Bologna and take a direct train to Ravenna.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, crazyank said:

According to the Trenitalia website there is no direct train from Milan to Ravenna. There will be at least one change in Bologna and total travel time will be approximately 4 hours.  Far better to fly into Bologna and take a direct train to Ravenna.

Changing trains is not a giant deal.  Flights into Bologna are far less available than Milan....  or they were pre covid

16 minutes ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I cannot see RCI bothering to locate Rhapsody in the Med this summer. Suspect they will leave it in the Caribbean for the winter. Rhapsody went from St Maarten to San Juan the other day but now making its way back to St Maarten. 

Or if they do keep Rhapsody in the Med, It will be for EU only

We have the whole family booked on the Brilliance in June 2022 out of Ravenna.  We will spend a few days in Venice pre-cruise.  Rather than the hassle of getting to the airport from Venice and then waiting for a bus, we will take a train.  It is less than $20 per person and transfers at Ferrara.  We will take taxis from the train station to the port or I will arrange for a driver.

4 hours ago, fred111 said:

We have the whole family booked on the Brilliance in June 2022 out of Ravenna.  We will spend a few days in Venice pre-cruise.  Rather than the hassle of getting to the airport from Venice and then waiting for a bus, we will take a train.  It is less than $20 per person and transfers at Ferrara.  We will take taxis from the train station to the port or I will arrange for a driver.

I'm politely suggesting you think more about this.  Is the cost savings worth the inconvenience?  The whole family has to manage luggage to and on the train in Venice, off the train in Ferrara, on the train in Ferrara,  off the train in Ravenna, into the car in Ravenna, out of the car in Ravenna.

If the cost is anywhere near $44 per person I recommend you get a car transfer directly from your hotel in Venice, since the cost I calculated in my post above for 6 people was $88 per person roundtrip Venice-Ravenna.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I cannot see RCI bothering to locate Rhapsody in the Med this summer. Suspect they will leave it in the Caribbean for the winter. Rhapsody went from St Maarten to San Juan the other day but now making its way back to St Maarten. 

Perhaps they will Harmony instead of Rhapsody for the Ravenna sailings; as she’s already over here. Lol. Wishful thinking!  

8 hours ago, fred111 said:

Definitely not worth the hassle the best way would be a private car transfer for all of you.

I also wouldn’t want to do the RCG transfer but it’d be far easier than your suggestion.

• Like 2