The Daily for Thursday Apr 01, 2021

richwmn

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you so much for your support.  I always said she would live to be 100 (her Mom lived to be 98 and her late sister lived to 97).  Being feisty can't hurt!!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Sandi your sweet MIL has longevity on her side and a lot of Love and good support!! Bless the great care she is getting from the nurses and for them to be able to communicate with all of you and for her to be back to the her, like my sis Cat said feistiness is wonderful!

Denise😊

• Like 11

Since "The Daily , , ," is rather eclectic.  I am going to add this.

Mrs, XBGuy sent this to me.  A Taste of Home magazine tested multiple brownie mixes.

2005250991_image0(3).png.bae040619366e410b8ebfc6213861079.png

And the winner is

image1.png.969e813f8e38132c1b6efde37a88fe5c.png

Mrs. XBGuy could have save them the effort.  It has been her favorite (with some additions) for many years.

A lot of my wine geek comrades balk at the thought of pairing wine with chocolate.  I am more than OK with it.  Williams Selwyn is an excellent winery, and they are particularly known for their excellent Pinot Noirs.  So, perhaps somebody would like to pair Rich's suggested wine of the day with some fresh-baked brownies.  I am not that big a fan of PN--and I lose a lot of wine geek cred when I admit that on various internet wine boards.  However, I have found that a Sonoma County Zinfandel pairs very nicely after a day of baking (and tasting for quality assurance) brownies.

😁

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Not going very far today, The place is jammed with visitors. Its crazy. People come here from everywhere and then complain how lax Florida is!  The locals follow the guidelines.

That is funny you say that.  Our family fishing camp is on an offshore island at the mouth of the Mississippi River.    Never before in 60+ years have I seen a New York license plate on the island until last summer 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Mrs, XBGuy sent this to me.  A Taste of Home magazine tested multiple brownie mixes.

And the winner is

Mrs. XBGuy could have save them the effort.  It has been her favorite (with some additions) for many years.

A lot of my wine geek comrades balk at the thought of pairing wine with chocolate.  I am more than OK with it.  Williams Selwyn is an excellent winery, and they are particularly known for their excellent Pinot Noirs.  So, perhaps somebody would like to pair Rich's suggested wine of the day with some fresh-baked brownies.  I am not that big a fan of PN--and I lose a lot of wine geek cred when I admit that on various internet wine boards.  However, I have found that a Sonoma County Zinfandel pairs very nicely after a day of baking (and tasting for quality assurance) brownies.

😁

And it doesn’t hurt you can buy it at the big box store!  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

More bird pics.  Not an April 1 joke.

I'd just arrived at my PC and was catching up on the world when Mrs. XBGuy gave a shout from downstairs, "There's a baby hummingbird at the feeder.  He is SO cute."

Well, it looks to me that this bird is a tad older that a baby.  So, let's call him a juvenile.  He is a bit "puffier" that most of the neighborhood hummingbirds. and his beak does not seem as long.

IMG_6919.jpg.02e2f704bc9da08ca265a9188a404c75.jpg

Hilariously, when he goes for a drink, he has to. pretty much, smash his face onto the feeder in order to reach the juice.

IMG_6916.jpg.a75a1a5236822f46b5c2d7243ac239c8.jpg

OMGOSH!!!!!He’s alittle chub chub!! How precious! 
Denise😊

• Like 7

6 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

......the return of the sold R and S ships to the fleet to be operated by a new small ship division of Holland America.  They would never be in port with large ships at the same time, tending to go to the exotic and less visited ports.  Fresh flowers would be everywhere and the European bell boy would sound the chimes for dinner every night and there would be live musicians playing above the dining room and at afternoon tea.

From your lips (or keyboard) to G*d's ears.  Oh would that it were.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

And the winner is

😁

We bought a giant box at Costco and they are good! I noticed on the side panel that you could use red wine in place of some of the water when you make them. I haven't tried it yet but I will with some Cardbordeaux and report back...

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We bought a giant box at Costco and they are good! I noticed on the side panel that you could use red wine in place of some of the water when you make them. I haven't tried it yet but I will with some Cardbordeaux and report back...

Research is a good thing, and for a great cause.

I wonder what they would be like with kaluah?

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

And the winner is

😁

Having made the Ghirardelli brownies in question, I wholeheartedly agree with the Mrs. They are divine.

And as for red wine and chocolate pairings, um, Yes, please and thank you. A nice Rhone blend with a smooth dark chocolate is one of my favs.  My fav Rhone blend style wine is actually from South Africa, Spice Route winery's Chakalaka. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We had an up moment this afternoon when our phone rang and it was one of the nurses putting through a phone call from DMIL.  DH was ecstatic since his attempts to call today ran into phone system problems and no answer on her floor.  We couldn't believe how strong her voice was and how happy she sounded to speak to him.  He was very happy to hear her more like her old self.  After all the reports we had about her mumbling and constant sleeping, it was quite a surprise.  Thank goodness the nurse had the great idea to call us while she was doing so well.  After about 15 minutes she started getting tired so we let her go.  I hope she has more of these good times in the next few weeks.🙏

Let's hear it for feisty!   I'm so happy you had these precious moments with her.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We had an up moment this afternoon when our phone rang and it was one of the nurses putting through a phone call from DMIL.  DH was ecstatic since his attempts to call today ran into phone system problems and no answer on her floor.  We couldn't believe how strong her voice was and how happy she sounded to speak to him.  He was very happy to hear her more like her old self.  After all the reports we had about her mumbling and constant sleeping, it was quite a surprise.  Thank goodness the nurse had the great idea to call us while she was doing so well.  After about 15 minutes she started getting tired so we let her go.  I hope she has more of these good times in the next few weeks.🙏

Such great news!!!  

• Like 7

We woke up to snow this morning, and it was no joke!  Thankfully it didn't last too long and the snow has melted. My April Fool, my DH, celebrated his 2nd Covid birthday today, starting with a Tim Horton's drop off by 2 little grandsons.  We did a 14 day cruise around New Zealand, but did not visit today's port.  5 years ago today we were in Wellington, where a couple we met on a Baltic cruise toured us around the city.  We have since done 2 great cruises with them. Would love to visit New Zealand again.

• Like 12

Thanks for the daily reports, photos and humour.

Timaru is not often used by cruise ships.

Several years ago Timaru was a port of call for the Statendam, our Travel Agent invited us to visit with him on board the ship, which we did.  At that time we did not know that one day we would board the Statendam in San Diego for a fantastic 28 day Panama Canal cruise.

Port of Timaru website is  https://www.primeport.co.nz  

• Like 12

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

How encouraging and what great news 👍. Our prayers that her good moments become more frequent and she is back to her old self soon 🙏🏻 

• Like 3