Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

4 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Received luggage tags + iPad sized case & phone battery empt from TA
To prepare mentally for the cruise I'm now wearing my red Viking sticker on my forehead

But just to be sure, the only thing you received from Viking is the paper envelope containing the red sticker, info paper, and the two leather luggage tags, correct?  No gifts, like the wool zipper bag or other gifts? Or a booklet about the country? 

4 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

But just to be sure, the only thing you received from Viking is the paper envelope containing the red sticker, info paper, and the two leather luggage tags, correct?  No gifts, like the wool zipper bag or other gifts? Or a booklet about the country? 

Someone on the site that shan’t be named has posted a picture of their package that includes the zippered bag. It is their first Viking cruise so I wondered if that is why they received it.  Or maybe they just failed to include them in the first batch of documents that left the office. I guess time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Received luggage tags + iPad sized case & phone battery empt from TA
To prepare mentally for the cruise I'm now wearing my red Viking sticker on my forehead

Okay, so hopefully the ship's phone number and email will be in the digital docs.

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Someone on the site that shan’t be named has posted a picture of their package that includes the zippered bag. It is their first Viking cruise so I wondered if that is why they received it.  Or maybe they just failed to include them in the first batch of documents that left the office. I guess time will tell. 

Wishful thinking but based on the size of the envelope we received, I don't think anything was forgotten. There was just enough space for what was there.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Wishful thinking but based on the size of the envelope we received, I don't think anything was forgotten. There was just enough space for what was there.

Then perhaps only Viking Virgins will get the bags...fine by me.  The bag of empty bags won’t hold anymore.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, Doc who loves to travel said:

Question about gratuities. Can we pay gratuities with a credit card onboard or is it cash only gratuities onboard?  Wondering benefits of prepayment? It’s our first Viking ocean 

We prepaid for a cruise. When we booked another cruise on the ship we got a shipboard credit good for that cruise only. We had to scramble to find a way to use it. Agent suggested gratuities was one way. BTW, Husband loves his headphones. We won’t prepay again since there is no discount. 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:02 AM, LindaS272 said:

I reiterate what I said about actual practice, Peregrina. The spirit of the “dress code” is that people should dress up and look nice, not like slackers. Most people follow the spirit of the request—and some are asked to change if they do not.

So I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if I decided to wear a dressy top, and maybe even a sparkly top at e.g. The Chefs Table?

I do like an excuse to get my glad rags out on a cruise and the opportunities for that have been lacking over the last year 🙃

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

So I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if I decided to wear a dressy top, and maybe even a sparkly top at e.g. The Chefs Table?

I do like an excuse to get my glad rags out on a cruise and the opportunities for that have been lacking over the last year 🙃

Oh, goodness no!  I am soooooo tired of wearing t-shirts and sweats....  I'm bringing lots of Lilly Pulitzer.  BUT.... remember-- layers for daytime outside.  On Alaskan cruises you get used to seeing people in much more casual clothing in the evening.  So you might see both!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

Gifts were from TA as posted.
I posted here months ago that Viking was dropping booklets, etc. for ocean cruises.
Who knows if this is permanent or temporary. Me, I liked the booklets especially & the gifts.

2 hours ago, MS52 said:

The test is being stopped at the airport on June 15th but not by Viking.  If you are required to be vaccinated and tested before you get on the ship, I think the mask requirement is silly (even though I’ve been wearing a mask religiously for 18 months).  

Also the rules on when to wear the mask are not based in science. When we're passing by each other in the halls and not lingering, we have our masks on. That's low-risk. But when we're seated in a venue we have our masks off to eat and drink and talk, staying in one place maybe for multiple hours, and that's very high risk.

Except that we're all vaccinated and tested, so none of it is high risk.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Bring it on, Glenndale!!

Go for it! Your money. Your vacation. Your choice. Do what makes you happy! Spread the joy!

Case in point: A couple on a prior cruise came to dinner every night dressed to the nines. They sat alone, at a table for two, rigidly erect, in stony silence and looking entirely unapproachable. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen on board a Viking ship.  If they had been actively engaged in conversation, I never would have noticed them.

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

Oh, goodness no!  I am soooooo tired of wearing t-shirts and sweats....  I'm bringing lots of Lilly Pulitzer.  BUT.... remember-- layers for daytime outside.  On Alaskan cruises you get used to seeing people in much more casual clothing in the evening.  So you might see both!!  

I’m pleased to see some discussion of evening attire! I can’t imagine going back to “winter” dinner clothes in late July. Will bring my pretty and bright summer outfits, plus a couple of sweaters and/or shawls for evening. This worked well for our Norwegian cruise - although average temps were at least 10 degrees higher there than what we expect in Iceland. I think all I’m missing for the daytime outdoor activities are a pair of lightweight, waterproof hiking shoes, and rain pants. 
counting down...   only 45 days away! 😁

• Like 1

Could anyone that has been on the Sky before tell us whatthe mattress is like?  On Celebrity, we always needed a foam mattress pad (waffle crate), (due to husband's medical issue).  Are they soft/hard? 

Thank you

On 6/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, TayanaLorna said:

No it doesn't match the July 17 recent excursion offerings.  We have some added ones plus that spreadsheet has Akureri and Seydisfjordur somewhat mixed up.  The best list to match our excursion offerings is the Shore Excursion list sent to someone on the July 3 sailing by Viking.  The only added one we got was Heart of the Glacier.ShoreExcursions.pdf

Thanks for posting this shore excursion information. Very helpful.

1 hour ago, CatefromNH said:

I’m pleased to see some discussion of evening attire! I can’t imagine going back to “winter” dinner clothes in late July. Will bring my pretty and bright summer outfits, plus a couple of sweaters and/or shawls for evening. This worked well for our Norwegian cruise - although average temps were at least 10 degrees higher there than what we expect in Iceland. I think all I’m missing for the daytime outdoor activities are a pair of lightweight, waterproof hiking shoes, and rain pants. 
counting down...   only 45 days away! 😁

Got these pants from Amazon and very pleased with them. Tried them out on a hike but not in the rain (we've hardly had any rain here lately).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD3C4J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

Could anyone that has been on the Sky before tell us whatthe mattress is like?  On Celebrity, we always needed a foam mattress pad (waffle crate), (due to husband's medical issue).  Are they soft/hard? 

Thank you

Been on Star and Jupiter.  Assume Viking buys the same mattresses for all ships.  I thought the mattresses were firm but had a bit of padding but not like memory foam or waffle crate.  The sheets were wonderful and silky.

41 minutes ago, BQEC said:

Thanks for posting this shore excursion information. Very helpful.

It is what we used and worked great.  The times were slightly different but still spaced where you could choose 2 shorter optionals or an included and optional in the same day.

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Been on Star and Jupiter.  Assume Viking buys the same mattresses for all ships.  I thought the mattresses were firm but had a bit of padding but not like memory foam or waffle crate.  The sheets were wonderful and silky.

I totally agree with your comments - and we've been on the Sky, the Jupiter (2), and the Sea!  Same mattress types on each.

5 minutes ago, Camden lady said:

Can anyone tell me which ports are going to be tender ports?   Last time I tendered at a port the front windows opened and I was drenched!!!  lol at least it was in warm water so no big deal really.  

It is not set in stone and final docking is determined by the harbor master, however our itinerary says 3 tender ports - Seydisfjordur, Djupivogur and Heimaey.  There is a dock in Seydisfjordur so it is possible we could get it.  Djupivogur and Heimaey look too small but who knows.  Last time we tendered in a port the window right above the driver was open for air when a wave crashed over the bow. He got soaked, some passengers got wet and others some salt spray.  At least it was on the way back to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

Can anyone tell me which ports are going to be tender ports?   Last time I tendered at a port the front windows opened and I was drenched!!!  lol at least it was in warm water so no big deal really.  

If you're on Viking Jupiter, it appears that Jupiter has been assigned to the dock at Seydisfjordur most days she visits this summer, according to the port website.  I think Sky is mostly tendering there, but I forget the details.  But in the end it doesn't matter all that much because dock assignments can change.  Usually, however, I've found port websites to be accurate.

Iceland to Stop Testing Vaccinated Travellers

1 Travelx News

Travel x news has reported that since Around 80% of travellers arriving at Iceland’s Keflavík Airport now present certificates of vaccination against COVID-19 or antibody certificates for the disease., but Health Minister Svandís Svavarsdóttir announced they will no longer be required to do so starting  June 15. 

Am I overly optimistic or does the open up the possibility of tours prior to reporting to the sky?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ustowas said:

Iceland to Stop Testing Vaccinated Travellers

1 Travelx News

Travel x news has reported that since Around 80% of travellers arriving at Iceland’s Keflavík Airport now present certificates of vaccination against COVID-19 or antibody certificates for the disease., but Health Minister Svandís Svavarsdóttir announced they will no longer be required to do so starting  June 15. 

Am I overly optimistic or does the open up the possibility of tours prior to reporting to the sky?

https://www.icelandreview.com/travel/iceland-to-stop-testing-vaccinated-travellers/

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

It is not set in stone and final docking is determined by the harbor master, however our itinerary says 3 tender ports - Seydisfjordur, Djupivogur and Heimaey.  There is a dock in Seydisfjordur so it is possible we could get it.  Djupivogur and Heimaey look too small but who knows.  Last time we tendered in a port the window right above the driver was open for air when a wave crashed over the bow. He got soaked, some passengers got wet and others some salt spray.  At least it was on the way back to the ship.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you so much for the response.