Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

I've never been drenched on a tender, but for those who haven't done it before, I'd suggest: wear decent footwear, keep your hands and forearms free of stuff, and leave your hat in a tote/pocket/backpack unless it's the tie on type.  And count on an additional half hour or sometimes more to get on a tender, get over to land, and get off, at least on the way to shore from the ship. Have your Viking card handy when you return to the tender to go back to the ship Don't be afraid to ask the tender folks for help if you're a little wobbly, slow or afraid. They're usually quiet but very nice/helpful.  

1 hour ago, ustowas said:

Iceland to Stop Testing Vaccinated Travellers

1 Travelx News

Travel x news has reported that since Around 80% of travellers arriving at Iceland’s Keflavík Airport now present certificates of vaccination against COVID-19 or antibody certificates for the disease., but Health Minister Svandís Svavarsdóttir announced they will no longer be required to do so starting  June 15. 

Am I overly optimistic or does the open up the possibility of tours prior to reporting to the sky?

I took the optimistic realist route today and booked The Retreat at the Blue Lagoon on day of

arrival on the way from the airport into Reykjavik ( we are coming in on 24 June ,2 days before the cruise  )  . 

I am optimistic that we will be able to do this ,but realistic enough to know that they may delay  suspending the Covid test on arrival until later.  I have until 48 hours ( local time of course) before my reservation to cancel for a refund so I am not too worried.  I did it today because I was afraid that if the suspension truly does come out on the 15th, I might have trouble getting a reservation the would match up with my  arrival time .  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Got these pants from Amazon and very pleased with them. Tried them out on a hike but not in the rain (we've hardly had any rain here lately).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD3C4J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since they’re lightweight, do you have plans to wear leggings or a base layer under? 

2 hours ago, vslparis said:

I took the optimistic realist route today and booked The Retreat at the Blue Lagoon on day of

arrival on the way from the airport into Reykjavik ( we are coming in on 24 June ,2 days before the cruise  )  . 

I am optimistic that we will be able to do this ,but realistic enough to know that they may delay  suspending the Covid test on arrival until later.  I have until 48 hours ( local time of course) before my reservation to cancel for a refund so I am not too worried.  I did it today because I was afraid that if the suspension truly does come out on the 15th, I might have trouble getting a reservation the would match up with my  arrival time .  

To be fair, even if they stop testing-on-arrival on the 15th, they could restart it at any time. We all knew that we were traveling during semi-controlled chaos. Since you can cancel with 48 hours notice, you should be good.

21 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

We are booking the Reykjanes Geopark Tour with Gateway to Iceland for disembarkation day on July 20. Drop-off at KEF at 2:30. 

We booked this tour with Gateway on the day our cruise leaves. Before we board the ship.  It sounds lovely. 

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you're on Viking Jupiter, it appears that Jupiter has been assigned to the dock at Seydisfjordur most days she visits this summer, according to the port website.  I think Sky is mostly tendering there, but I forget the details.  But in the end it doesn't matter all that much because dock assignments can change.  Usually, however, I've found port websites to be accurate.

What site do you use to determine which ships are in port with you?  Would like to see if we are competing for shore excursions in any of our ports

11 hours ago, Glenndale said:

So I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if I decided to wear a dressy top, and maybe even a sparkly top at e.g. The Chefs Table?

I do like an excuse to get my glad rags out on a cruise and the opportunities for that have been lacking over the last year 🙃

Definitely not!  In our experience, people tend to dress up a little more for the specialty restaurants.  You won't stand out at all in a sparkly top.  While many, many men don't pack sports coats at all, my husband generally brings one and wears it to CT and Manfredi's.  You'll see other sparkly tops in there, I'd bet.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

To be fair, even if they stop testing-on-arrival on the 15th, they could restart it at any time. We all knew that we were traveling during semi-controlled chaos. Since you can cancel with 48 hours notice, you should be good.

Just planning on being flexible ; been travelling internationally since July 2020 and have learned to go with the flow 😀

• Like 2

I came across the following quote recently. I thought it summed up perfectly about how different people view the same challenges we are all facing at the moment. 

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." -William Arthur Ward

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

This is a site used by crew. I don't know how accurate it is.

http://crew-center.com/iceland-ports-cruise-ships-schedules-2021

Thanks to you and the other poster for providing links.  Yesterday I typed a bunch of stuff, then lost it and didn't have time to get back to it.  (New computer/browser/browser habits...ugh.)  Anyway, I'll try again.  Those sites like cruisemapper, crew center, etc. are helpful, though not as accurate as actual port websites. But finding individual port sites is time consuming.  Here's what I've found so far.  Keep in mind that things change, since I think the info is taken from original itineraries, which can be developed long before actual cruises go out.

Reykjavik:  faxafloahafnir.is - look for cruise tab, and web cam..  Skarfabakki is pier where we'll be (all sailings in summer, both ships).  It's on east side of greater Reykjavik. Remember, some cruise ships are small (example: National Geographic ,148 passengers)

Isafjordur:  I'll post site in a few minutes, as I'm afraid to go out of this post.  

Akureyri: https:port.is/    If necessary, find UK flag for English, find Cruise Ship tab

Seysdisfjordur: http://seydisfjordurport.is/cruise-ships/    You want to see Strandabakki, which is their only berth for ships.  But the Norrona ferry, plus other competing cruise ships, may be assigned there instead.  It looks like Jupiter is likely to get that coveted dock, but Sky less so. But things CAN change. 

One of the links above may act cranky and show the actual phrase "Name of Ship" until you wait and/or play with it. Just be patient. 

For more info on what's available at each Icelandic port (terminal? tourist info? restrooms? public transport?) see cruiseiceland.com. Thanks to person who posted that link early on!

Sorry this post  is such a mess.  I'm rushing. 

I'll find and post Isafjordur port website link in a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

This is a site used by crew. I don't know how accurate it is.

http://crew-center.com/iceland-ports-cruise-ships-schedules-2021

It is consistent with the other 3rd party cruise schedule websites. Reasonably accurate, except when a cruise crosses the International Date Line, then the remainder of the cruise is often out by a day.

For accurate information, nothing beats researching the website for each port.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

Isafjordur has this:

Cruise ship 2021 | Ísafjarðarbær (isafjordur.is)

You might want to check this information, and of course, it could change, as it not under Viking's control. But the Seydisfjordur port website shows Sky is currently assigned to Strandabakki berth (dock) on the following days: June 30, July 7, 21, 28, August 11. 

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Isafjordur has this:

Cruise ship 2021 | Ísafjarðarbær (isafjordur.is)

You might want to check this information, and of course, it could change, as it not under Viking's control. But the Seydisfjordur port website shows Sky is currently assigned to Strandabakki berth (dock) on the following days: June 30, July 7, 21, 28, August 11. 

While I agree with you that it shows Sky at the dock (as does the invoice from Viking) I am seeing different dates than the ones you listed. June 28, July 5, July 12, July 19, July 26, August 2, August 9, August 16, August 23, August 30, September 6. These dates correspond to when I would expect the ship to be there (2 days after embarkation). 

Skemmtiferðaskip 2021 Ísafjarðarbær.pdf

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

While I agree with you that it shows Sky at the dock (as does the invoice from Viking) I am seeing different dates than the ones you listed. June 28, July 5, July 12, July 19, July 26, August 2, August 9, August 16, August 23, August 30, September 6. These dates correspond to when I would expect the ship to be there (2 days after embarkation). 

Skemmtiferðaskip 2021 Ísafjarðarbær.pdf 1.02 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks.  Maybe I wrote down this information for another port.  But what I posted was what I found for Seydisfjordur not Isafjordur, although I may have included those dates in the same post, which was for Isafjordur link. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, this is our first Viking cruise (supposed to go on Viking this past May for the 15 day Viking Homelands but it was not meant to be) and I was curious how disembarkment works for this cruise line.  We were planning a flight home on the morning that the cruise is over and I wanted to make sure that we are able to make the flight.  Thanks.

Regarding port versus third party web sites (for cruise ship schedules):  One of those third-party sites doesn't include Jupiter for at least one place we visit, at least not in August for my sailing.  But that's ok, I know my sailing was one of those added later on by Viking and may not show up right away.  And cruisemapper, whatsinport, crew center, etc. certainly save a lot of time, which I need right now!

Regarding flights on last day of cruise, the time on your itinerary from Viking gives you the time Viking is expected to arrive in Reykjavik.  For my cruise it's 5 AM.  If using my own transportation (taxi usually) I then allow at least 3 hours to get off the ship, pick up luggage in terminal, get to airport, and check in for an international flight.  Reykjavik international airport is at least a 45 minute drive away, so you might want to add a little more.  Besides, it's possible that sea conditions or clearance of the authorities in Reykjavik could delay the ship.  I prefer to be cautious as I don't want stress to spoil my return home, plus I'm a little afraid flying this summer will be a total mess.  Others may have other opinions. Picking up luggage off the ship is very organized and fast with Viking, plus they'll provide some kind of breakfast for people who are leaving early.  Last time I cruised on Viking, I found departure to be really easy - no "give you a number, call your group" type disembarkation like some (even highly organized) cruise lines like Oceania. But with social distancing, etc. this could be different - can't predict. 

3 minutes ago, KAP1998 said:

Hello everyone, this is our first Viking cruise (supposed to go on Viking this past May for the 15 day Viking Homelands but it was not meant to be) and I was curious how disembarkment works for this cruise line.  We were planning a flight home on the morning that the cruise is over and I wanted to make sure that we are able to make the flight.  Thanks.

We won't know exactly how disembarkation works post Covid until the first Iceland cruise runs at end of June.  What we do know is that Viking asks us to book return flights home after 9 am if we are doing our own air arrangements and that they will provide us with Covid 19 tests which we need to get back into US.  Personally i would book flights well after 9 am.  Who knows what chaos might be at KEF once tourism picks up and the airlines having to more closely check re-entry papers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KAP1998 said:

Viking has given us very clear guidance on this one on our Viking Guest Statement:

Message for Embarkation/Disembarkation
Due to the cruise schedule for this itinerary there are limitations on flight times. If you are arranging your own flights, please be aware of the restrictions
below and ensure the criteria is met.
Departure:
Departure flights out of Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) must depart no earlier than 9:00 AM on the day of July 10, 2021.

If you are booking your own flights, you may purchase transfers from Viking. (Good if you have a morning flight but you may sit at the airport if you have an afternoon flight)

Disembarkation is very loose. Viking will tell us what time we have have to be out of our cabins and what time we have to be off the ship. If you have private transfers, you may walk off the ship at any time you wish. If you use Viking transfers, figure walking off the ship 15 minutes prior to the stated time. That will give you time to find your luggage and get it to the bus.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, Bejay219 said:

Could anyone that has been on the Sky before tell us whatthe mattress is like?  On Celebrity, we always needed a foam mattress pad (waffle crate), (due to husband's medical issue).  Are they soft/hard? 

Thank you

You can indicate some preferences on MVJ, Onboard Experience, 

On 6/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, Bejay219 said:

Could anyone that has been on the Sky before tell us whatthe mattress is like?  On Celebrity, we always needed a foam mattress pad (waffle crate), (due to husband's medical issue).  Are they soft/hard? 

Thank you

You can indicate some preferences on MVJ, Onboard Experience, Preferences, Stateroom Preferences; however, mattresses are not listed there. I’d suggest doing a live chat with a rep. That’s how I was able to inform the ship of some special dates—anniversary and birthday—on our cruise.