Booze packages

1980dory

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

My problem with the booze packages are the various restrictions including the requirement that my wife and I both have one. When on vacation I want to drink what I want when I want it not have to think about whether this cocktail or that bottle of wine is included in a package or whether I'm drinking enough to make the package worthwhile. 

Some cruise lines trust that a couple won’t cheat and double up on an individual’s package purchase. Our preferred line doesn’t require both folks in a cabin to buy a package nor does it limit how much personal wine and spirits you bring aboard.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Some cruise lines trust that a couple won’t cheat and double up on an individual’s package purchase. Our preferred line doesn’t require both folks in a cabin to buy a package nor does it limit how much personal wine and spirits you bring aboard.

Of course the mass market lines have to play "hardball" with things like drink packages, etc.  They hold down fares to attract customers and then have to make it up with all the on-board nickel-diming ---- which is difficult if there are ways for passengers to get what they want without paying for it.

53 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What cruise lines are those please?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the mass market lines have to play "hardball" with things like drink packages, etc.  They hold down fares to attract customers and then have to make it up with all the on-board nickel-diming ---- which is difficult if there are ways for passengers to get what they want without paying for it.

Exactly, the more a line charges for the base fare the more lenient they can be with these types of things. 

When we cruised on Carnival Panorama Feb 2019, we had the drink package. It allowed us to have the alcoholic drinks, yes, but it also gave us bottles of water, bottles of propel water, energy drinks, pop, milkshakes, and juice. It was very easy to get our money worth without being drunk the whole cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smporter74 said:

When we cruised on Carnival Panorama Feb 2019, we had the drink package. It allowed us to have the alcoholic drinks, yes, but it also gave us bottles of water, bottles of propel water, energy drinks, pop, milkshakes, and juice. It was very easy to get our money worth without being drunk the whole cruise!

Oh man, forget everything else.   The thought of unlimited milk shakes is an excellent reason for me to not get the drink package.   😆

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, navybankerteacher said:

If someone buys the package, drinks are included.  If they don't buy the package, they pay for drinks.  Is that really nickel & diming?  I don't like nickel & diming, but in many cases I prefer a la carte pricing to a package.   

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, 1980dory said:

What cruise lines are those please?

Flatbush is referring to Oceania. Also, while Celebrity now has their basic classic beverage package included in the base fare, the upgrade to the premium beverage package can be made by either one or both passengers.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:28 AM, 1980dory said:

Booze packages tend to make purchasers overindulge to get their money's worth.

Why not offer a simple punch card for 10, 20, 30, ......drinks with a discounted price

per drink over the regular price of the drink?

I like a drink or two but I would never buy a package because it would never be

economically advantageous to drink enough to justify it.  I'm just not into heavy

drinking all day long.   Make booze offerings appropriate for the individual cruiser.

I just figured out, with Princess current promotion with tips, booze, wifi... I only have to drink 2 drinks a day to break even, so that is far from overindulging.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

I just figured out, with Princess current promotion with tips, booze, wifi... I only have to drink 2 drinks a day to break even, so that is far from overindulging.    

We've only had a drink package once, when it was part of a booking promo.  We did enjoy it, but if we had payed the going price, we would not have broken even.  It's typically not worth it for us to purchase a drink package, but we are eyeing this Princess deal for our next cruise.  I would definitely drink at least 2 per day, and also enjoy coffee, etc. as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pris993 said:

Congratulations on your math and logic skills.

13 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We drink, a lot. The only drink package that I have not liked was Carnivals, because they have a daily limit.

Princess and P&O (UK) both impose a daily limit on alcoholic drinks.