If NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, why can't Royal do the same?

11 minutes ago, mek said:

who says

Key words, none of us knows the true facts about our posters and what they say they do.  A lot of  keyboard worriers identities are purely fictional.  I'm not anything, just retired and pretty well read.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warezbabe said:

Sorry, not sorry. From a non-vaccinated, ICU nurse, living in Florida.

If you really are an ICU nurse, then you should know the facts when it comes to the difficulty in maintaining a sterile field, even in the ICU!  Think about that...Do you really believe that the sloppy mask wearing public are anywhere near following masking protocols in the first place?  When everybody on the planet were wearing them, people still died!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stallion said:

We actually are getting close to the numbers Israel had when their covid numbers went almost to nil-the current declining numbers suggest that we could be  seeing the initial stages of herd immunity-along with the unknown percentage of persons with natural immunity 

AT LEAST ONE SHOT:

All: 44.4%

Over 18: 56.3%

Over 65: 82.8%

FULLY VACCINATED:

All: 31.5%

Over 18: 40.2%

Over 65: 69.7%

(as of yesterday)

For comparison Israel's numbers are 59.7% with one dose and 55.9% fully vaccinated-which leads the world

See comparison to Israel numbers:

"The best news for Americans: We’re not too far from getting 60 percent of the country vaccinated. Already, more than 40 percent of the population has gotten at least one dose, and more than 30 percent are fully vaccinated, based on federal data. At current vaccination rates, the US could hit 60 percent partial vaccination as soon as this month or June and 60 percent full vaccination in June or July — all within three months. Already, Covid-19 cases in the US have dropped by around 27 percent in the last two weeks."

https://www.vox.com/22400322/vaccines-herd-immunity-coronavirus-israel

Nice post.

IMO, it's always been about the vaccine, as well as the vaccination starting with those at the highest risk of death, hospitalization and severe illness (who should have been the objective of the financial and medical resources; not the general public at little to no risk).

IMO, the scientific community is hotly now debating the merits, or lack of proof thereof, of the non-vaccine responses from masks, to social distancing, etc.

Hopefully, a lot will learned and policies will be required to backed by proof (not scientists on one side or the other of any issue).

Just below our state, Massachusetts, which was severely locked down and had a rough go of it. had the smallest number of positive cases since October, and massively under its almost 3 month daily high counts.

ma.JPG.fe9987d31fef533985358c78ab367ece.JPG

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I must beg to differ. At least for FIRST DOSE. According to the Graph 65.5% have had first dose as of May 1st here in UK.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

There are different results from government websites and various tracking sources for almost everything.

It's also interesting to note, in the 2nd chart, the % vaccinated first dose and % vaccinated completely.  The vaccines have efficacies when fully vaccinated.

vac.thumb.JPG.a0e15248fb68966a1d7ad05c32351571.JPG

v2.JPG.7314d831cfee18258f68ec8e40a2ec23.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warezbabe said:

I think we all learned a valuable lesson in hygiene and disease awareness/transmission. 

You are a nurse and this virus is what taught you about hygiene and disease transmission? I haven't learned much of anything about it that I didn't know before this mess started.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, easy1234 said:

So, cut out a good percentage of their customer base (families)? Doesnt sounds like a wise business decision.

Kids sail at a discount as 3rd & 4th in cabin.  Given ships will be sailing at reduced capacity RCG will want to maximize revenue per person.  Kids also don't consume alcohol or gamble (at least not legally) which are big money makers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

While this is true, its not like most parents can just leave their kids at home and go on a cruise. So while the kids may not be big money makers, RCL and others make more money off a family of 4 than a empty room.

Nonsense also.  There are plenty of passengers to take up an empty room and you are about to find that out.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL tried to goad the CDC into letting them sail faster with the fully vaccinated carrot. It didn't work.

Now NCL is stuck with it.

There's no reason for a fully vaccinated cruise unless you're going to do away with all testing, social distancing and mask requirements, which we know won't happen.

EXACTLY!!!!  All of the mandates are still in place even if you are vax.  No thank you!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Records?  How can this be with theme parks operating at reduced capacity and cruising on hold?

Land based.  Hotels across the state are running at 100% occupancy.  Places like Key West are averaging $1000 per night for moderate hotels.  You can't find a hotel for under $350.

Cruising isn't that big a part of our tourism.

Also, Yacht Chartering is huge right now.  One week on a decent sized yacht is $250,000.

Edited by BlueHerons
  • Like 1

I don’t want to offend anyone but maybe it’s a good idea to leave the kids home for awhile....I love my kids and grandkids but being quarantined with them in a small room sounds like a nightmare.  Just saying. I would not encourage any of mine to do it for a good while yet.

Since it’s not a huge part of the off season travel just get cruises restarted over 18 with fully vaccinated at least for a few weeks/ months and see how it goes.  Then add families. They have waited this long.

Again please don’t yell at me. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, warezbabe said:

I feel the people that ran to be first in line to see grandchildren, see friends, and go out to eat are also the ones who want fully vaccinated cruises despite the fact that they are going out in the community where half the people are not even vaccinated.

Apples vs Bananas.

If someone in a restaurant, grocery store, etc. contracts COVID, you are not impacted as a vaccinated person.  If someone on a cruise ship contracts COVID, you may be impacted (ship may be quarantined, may not be able to port, may have to return early, may be delays disembarking, etc., etc., etc.)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I don’t want to offend anyone but maybe it’s a good idea to leave the kids home for awhile....I love my kids and grandkids but being quarantined with them in a small room sounds like a nightmare.  Just saying. I would not encourage any of mine to do it for a good while yet.

Since it’s not a huge part of the off season travel just get cruises restarted over 18 with fully vaccinated at least for a few weeks/ months and see how it goes.  Then add families. They have waited this long.

Again please don’t yell at me. 

Being quarantined in a cruise cabin sounds like a nightmare at any age. 

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 95% passenger and 98% crew vaccination proportion requirements are simply minimums for a ship to be able to bypass test sailings. I'm hopeful that Royal will surpass those percentages if they can help it.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if sailings are to resume in July out of US ports, I highly doubt children (those ages 16 and under) will be able to sail unless the new vaccine trials show that they are now able to get it (mid-June at the latest). The 95% and 98% figures were most likely arbitrary numbers that the CDC has concluded would minimize virus spread/infection on a cruise ship and not buffers allocated for children who cannot get the vaccine. It's reasonable to think that children and adults who can't receive the vaccine (for various health reasons) is a demographic that exceeds 5% of passengers should they be allowed to board.

I'm hopeful that cruising in July, if it happens, will look close to "normal" with the exception of masking indoors in public spaces (while not drinking or eating). I see so many posts about people complaining about having to wear a mask on the pool deck when that's likely not going to be the case given the CDC's recent guidance for fully vaccinated people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warezbabe said:

The most recent data states only 31% of Americans have been vaccinated. Florida's senior population is roughly 82% vaccinated. The research shows people can still get sick themselves, spread it to others, and the vaccine's longevity is about 8 months from regardless of the manufacturer. Covid will not be irradiated from our society. A vaccine shouldn't determine how we live our lives. It is causing a great divide among our citizens. Each day that we wake up our lives are at risk for one reason or another. Let's just practice patience with eachother and hope that not only regular life, but cruising returns in the near future. I think we all learned a valuable lesson in hygiene and disease awareness/transmission. We have a long way to go to reach 100%. Herd immunity cannot even begin to take effect until 70% are vaccinated. I feel the people that ran to be first in line to see grandchildren, see friends, and go out to eat are also the ones who want fully vaccinated cruises despite the fact that they are going out in the community where half the people are not even vaccinated. Our common sense is being puppeteered by our desires. Wash your hands, wear a mask. We will eventually get there. I want to be drinking a Blue Hawaiian on the pool deck watching the belly flop competition as badly as the next person, but goodness many of you have your panties in a twist. 

Sorry, not sorry. From a non-vaccinated, ICU nurse, living in Florida.

I hear you. My thinking is that the first people to get vaccinated were the people who needed it the most, now they can be patient and wait for the rest. They should just be happy that they're protected......everything else will fall into place eventually. Patience. 

B-b-but, my double points!!!!! Which was brilliant marketing by the way.......

1 hour ago, BlueHerons said:

Land based.  Hotels across the state are running at 100% occupancy. 

Most nonsensical post of the day.  Hotels aren't even close to 100%.

"Orlando hotel occupancy hits 50%, but full recovery still years off, experts say"

In addition, I serve on the Board of Directors of one of the largest timeshares in Lake Buena Vista and occupancy isn't close to 50%.

(Sorry, for large print.  I copied the headline of the story and have no idea how to reduce the size).

Edited by yogimax
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

CDCs guidance for fully vaccinated people is to wear a mask around crowds, both indoors and outdoors. That includes the pool deck so dont get your hopes up on not having to wear a mask on deck when on the cruise ship

Completely understand that. There's the possibility that a combination of limited capacity sailings plus the huge pool decks on Oasis class ships will be enough to be able to effectively social distance and not have to mask up in certain outdoor areas, including the pool deck. Perhaps the crowded chairs nearest to the pool will be "mask-up" zones.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Is he adding the parents of those kids to that count? Or does he assume they will be left at home or sent to summer camp or whatever you americans do? Or does he count include the parents who won't go if their kids can't? Because that will be a decent number.

CLIA says the average <12 year old passengers makes up 9% of the population steadily for the past several years. In Europe that drops to 7%. 

That may be skewed slightly by the many lines that sail with few kids, but it's just not that significant given the current circumstances. You're also mainly looking at cruises between mid July at the very earliest through November (tentatively) when schools are in session too. In the short term it's also an easy way to keep unvaccinated people off of ships and bring the numbers down if they need to meet capacity limits. Appeasing a small portion by keeping the majority off the ships earlier seems like a bad move. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

CLIA says the average <12 year old passengers makes up 9% of the population steadily for the past several years. In Europe that drops to 7%. 

That may be skewed slightly by the many lines that sail with few kids, but it's just not that significant given the current circumstances. You're also mainly looking at cruises between mid July at the very earliest through November (tentatively) when schools are in session too. In the short term it's also an easy way to keep unvaccinated people off of ships and bring the numbers down if they need to meet capacity limits. Appeasing a small portion by keeping the majority off the ships earlier seems like a bad move. 

RCCL % kids is likely higher since it caters more towards families then other lines that target retirees. But DCL has to be sweating bullets, their entire target audience is families.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

You seem to misunderstand. The CDC guidelines for vaccinated people arent to mask around crowds when social distancing is not possible, but to mask around crowds.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

• You can gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart.
  • You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people of any age from one other household (for example, visiting with relatives who all live together) without masks or staying 6 feet apart, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
  • You can gather or conduct activities outdoors without wearing a mask except in certain crowded settings and venues.

I went ahead and read the guidelines more closely. It's entirely possible that we won't even have to mask up inside the ship if we're able to get to 100% vaccination (unlikely haha).

The language for masking up outdoors indicates that certain crowded settings and venues warrant masking up. If large pool decks on limited capacity sailings are defined as "not crowded", then masking up is not required. Even if they are determined to be crowded, they might not fall under the certain category. I'm guessing that certain implies crowded settings and venues where social distancing is not possible, but that's just a guess. In other words, I still think masking up on the pool deck is not probable enough for people to complain about not having a "normal" cruise.