If NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, why can't Royal do the same?

10 hours ago, djjoe said:

This is a follow up to my post on April 23. I was happy to see so many positive responses. NCL is saying 100%, not 95% or 98%. If Royal Caribbean and NCL are both part of the "Healthy Sail Panel", just get with the program. Please forget about what the Governor of Florida did today. As I said in my last post, we will never get back to "normal" cruises until the vaccine is required. Let me be clear, I have no intention of jumping ship to NCL. We are both "Loyal to Royal" as Pinnacle members and stockholders. Royal Caribbean has a responsibility to do what is best for their shareholders, which is get back to sea ASAP and start making money in a safe environment for their guests and crew.

Sounds like you might want to stay away from  cruising for awhile.  Plus the Governor did the right thing.  Leaving your house was never safe, and it never will be. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's no reason for a fully vaccinated cruise unless you're going to do away with all testing, social distancing and mask requirements, which we know won't happen.

Those sound like perfect reasons to require 100% vaccination rates.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, easy1234 said:

So, cut out a good percentage of their customer base (families)? Doesnt sounds like a wise business decision.

Sounds like a great start up business decision to me. It sure seems better than floating around aimlessly with no paying guests aboard.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, easy1234 said:

So, cut out a good percentage of their customer base (families)? Doesnt sounds like a wise business decision.

And neither is not sailing.  Take the kids to Disney this year.

• Like 6

95% is likely just as good as 100% when it comes to preventing spread or breaking the chain in getting others sick. Also, that gives a little bit of wiggle room for those that leave the card at home or are only 13 days after the second shot. And for those booking the nice big expensive rooms to bring their kids along.

• Like 1

I think leaving the extra 5% wiggle room is smart from a business perspective when it’s still unknown what the vaccine eligibility will look like in the near future. As soon as next week 12+ will be able to be vaccinated so who knows where we’ll be by sailing and the younger it goes the closer chance they have of getting that “too young to be vaccinated” age group into that 5%. Do I think that will be able to happen? No, but why would they pass up that money if there’s even the tiniest chance it’s possible. 

54 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

95% is likely just as good as 100% when it comes to preventing spread or breaking the chain in getting others sick. Also, that gives a little bit of wiggle room for those that leave the card at home or are only 13 days after the second shot. And for those booking the nice big expensive rooms to bring their kids along.

75-80% is just as good a 100%, since that's what we've been told is herd immunity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CI66774 said:

“Please forget?”  It’s the law in Florida now. The only question is are cruise lines doing business “in” Florida pursuant to the law? If yes, no line can require a cert. of vaccination. It can require masks, etc. If no, then the lines can require the cert. of vaccination. probably will be challenged but as it stands now, it’s the law.

Or...the cruise lines could tell Florida to pound salt, and start cruising from Baltimore, New York and Boston. My guess is DeSantis (and his good pal in Texas) will fold rather quickly, seeing lost revenue and jobs (not to mention political contributions from two of Florida's largest companies) as he is gearing up for reelection (and potentially the GOP nomination in 2024) -- yes, I cover politics for a living, so i know a bit about how this goes. DeSantis has nerves of Play-Doh.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

To my knowledge RCCL has absolutely no protocols in place at all YET.  Those partial %s were devised by the CDC, not RCCL.  She has yet to post her requirements.  So when op says why doesn't RCCL get with the program like NCL, just where are you getting the data, RCCL has said nothing yet.

We are currently laser-focused on additional safety enhancements for our return to service. To develop our future boarding screening process and updated health protocols, we are collaborating with government health authorities, the Cruise Lines International Association, and our own team of medical experts. These are not yet finalized, but when they are, we will publish them online and notify all guests and travel advisors proactively.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warezbabe said:

The most recent data states only 31% of Americans have been vaccinated. Florida's senior population is roughly 82% vaccinated. The research shows people can still get sick themselves, spread it to others, and the vaccine's longevity is about 8 months from regardless of the manufacturer. Covid will not be irradiated from our society. A vaccine shouldn't determine how we live our lives. It is causing a great divide among our citizens. Each day that we wake up our lives are at risk for one reason or another. Let's just practice patience with eachother and hope that not only regular life, but cruising returns in the near future. I think we all learned a valuable lesson in hygiene and disease awareness/transmission. We have a long way to go to reach 100%. Herd immunity cannot even begin to take effect until 70% are vaccinated. I feel the people that ran to be first in line to see grandchildren, see friends, and go out to eat are also the ones who want fully vaccinated cruises despite the fact that they are going out in the community where half the people are not even vaccinated. Our common sense is being puppeteered by our desires. Wash your hands, wear a mask. We will eventually get there. I want to be drinking a Blue Hawaiian on the pool deck watching the belly flop competition as badly as the next person, but goodness many of you have your panties in a twist. 

Sorry, not sorry. From a non-vaccinated, ICU nurse, living in Florida.

Whoa. A lot of misleading info in this post. Yes, 31.4% of people are FULLY vaccinated -- but more than half have had at least one shot. Second, we don't know exactly how long the vaccine works, but consensus is that it is pretty durable and will last longer than eight months (we already see anti-body response from those in last summer's trial, people who got shots more than eight months ago), but primary anti-body response is far from the whole story. The mRNA vaccine also produces longer-acting B and T cell responses, which based on my reading in JAMA and Nature suggest a multi-year level of protection.

• Like 6

What RC requires doesn't matter at all.

They are a private business and can do whatever they want.

However, the countries the cruise ships dock at will be the ones with the restrictions.  If your cruise goes to all countries that require the vaccination, then you will be required to have it before you board.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mmcgann11 said:

Whoa. A lot of misleading info in this post.

I agree, for people who love to "Follow the Science", I don't see much of that going on and that includes the nay sayers!  I've seen everything posted from pure speculation to downright nonsense.

As for vaccines, I've taken the flu, Pneumonia and Shingles vaccine for years, many years in fact, and nothing negative has ever happened to me, my family, nor any of my vaccinated aquaintences.  Just my personal experience, nothing more.  Crap happens...so I'm sure some on here can say nay, I don't care.  I make my decisions based on science AND personal experience, with a healthy dose of common sense.  I will take the Covid booster whenever they offer it.  I  have co-morbidities just like the next person , but generally am in very good health.  Have never had anything I take vaccines for in over 30 years.  We all see drug ads on TV daily that have to include side effects in order to avoid law suites, but how many of these meds do most of us take and will continue to take in spite of them.  Yeah I thought so.  All things in moderation.  Especially politics.🤪

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mmcgann11 said:

Or...the cruise lines could tell Florida to pound salt, and start cruising from Baltimore, New York and Boston. My guess is DeSantis (and his good pal in Texas) will fold rather quickly, seeing lost revenue and jobs (not to mention political contributions from two of Florida's largest companies) as he is gearing up for reelection (and potentially the GOP nomination in 2024) -- yes, I cover politics for a living, so i know a bit about how this goes. DeSantis has nerves of Play-Doh.

Florida is currently setting tourism records.  DeSantis will not fold.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

I cover politics for a living, so i know a bit about how this goes. DeSantis has nerves of Play-Doh.

Just who for?  Makes a big difference, I agree with Blue, he won't fold.

• Like 1

We actually are getting close to the numbers Israel had when their covid numbers went almost to nil-the current declining numbers suggest that we could be  seeing the initial stages of herd immunity-along with the unknown percentage of persons with natural immunity 

AT LEAST ONE SHOT:

All: 44.4%

Over 18: 56.3%

Over 65: 82.8%

FULLY VACCINATED:

All: 31.5%

Over 18: 40.2%

Over 65: 69.7%

(as of yesterday)

For comparison Israel's numbers are 59.7% with one dose and 55.9% fully vaccinated-which leads the world

See comparison to Israel numbers:

"The best news for Americans: We’re not too far from getting 60 percent of the country vaccinated. Already, more than 40 percent of the population has gotten at least one dose, and more than 30 percent are fully vaccinated, based on federal data. At current vaccination rates, the US could hit 60 percent partial vaccination as soon as this month or June and 60 percent full vaccination in June or July — all within three months. Already, Covid-19 cases in the US have dropped by around 27 percent in the last two weeks."

https://www.vox.com/22400322/vaccines-herd-immunity-coronavirus-israel

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, easy1234 said:

In relation to vaccines being available only to those over 12yrs, in one of his latest videos and his interviews Richard Fain (and Michael Bayley) have both repeatedly said their passenger count under 12yrs is not that significant and they are not really concerned about it. 

1 hour ago, mmcgann11 said:

Whoa. A lot of misleading info in this post. Yes, 31.4% of people are FULLY vaccinated -- but more than half have had at least one shot. Second, we don't know exactly how long the vaccine works, but consensus is that it is pretty durable and will last longer than eight months (we already see anti-body response from those in last summer's trial, people who got shots more than eight months ago), but primary anti-body response is far from the whole story. The mRNA vaccine also produces longer-acting B and T cell responses, which based on my reading in JAMA and Nature suggest a multi-year level of protection.

Thank you for posting this.  I haven't seen any information about vaccines only lasting 8 months yet here is someone who says they are an ICU nurse stating something as fact when it simply isn't.

• Like 4

well the test have only been going on for 8 months--so that's why its only 8 months-so far-the reports I've read suggest likely long term immunity

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stallion said:

We actually are getting close to the numbers Israel had when their covid numbers went almost to nil-the current declining numbers suggest that we could be  seeing the initial stages of herd immunity-along with the unknown percentage of persons with natural immunity 

AT LEAST ONE SHOT:

All: 44.4%

Over 18: 56.3%

Over 65: 82.8%

FULLY VACCINATED:

All: 31.5%

Over 18: 40.2%

Over 65: 69.7%

(as of yesterday)

For comparison Israel's numbers are 59.7% with one dose and 55.9% fully vaccinated-which leads the world

See comparison to Israel numbers:

"The best news for Americans: We’re not too far from getting 60 percent of the country vaccinated. Already, more than 40 percent of the population has gotten at least one dose, and more than 30 percent are fully vaccinated, based on federal data. At current vaccination rates, the US could hit 60 percent partial vaccination as soon as this month or June and 60 percent full vaccination in June or July — all within three months. Already, Covid-19 cases in the US have dropped by around 27 percent in the last two weeks."

https://www.vox.com/22400322/vaccines-herd-immunity-coronavirus-israel

Thank you very much for posting this. I think this is actually quite incredible. A year ago we didn't even HAVE a vaccine available for wide distribution and it sounds like we could achieve herd immunity within a month or two. That to me is astounding.

• Like 3

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you very much for posting this. I think this is actually quite incredible. A year ago we didn't even HAVE a vaccine available for wide distribution and it sounds like we could achieve herd immunity within a month or two. That to me is astounding.

more like 2-3 months especially in certain parts of the country

28 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

In relation to vaccines being available only to those over 12yrs, in one of his latest videos and his interviews Richard Fain (and Michael Bayley) have both repeatedly said their passenger count under 12yrs is not that significant and they are not really concerned about it. 

Is he adding the parents of those kids to that count? Or does he assume they will be left at home or sent to summer camp or whatever you americans do? Or does he count include the parents who won't go if their kids can't? Because that will be a decent number.