If NCL requires 100% vaccinated passengers and crew, why can't Royal do the same?

This is a follow up to my post on April 23. I was happy to see so many positive responses. NCL is saying 100%, not 95% or 98%. If Royal Caribbean and NCL are both part of the "Healthy Sail Panel", just get with the program. Please forget about what the Governor of Florida did today. As I said in my last post, we will never get back to "normal" cruises until the vaccine is required. Let me be clear, I have no intention of jumping ship to NCL. We are both "Loyal to Royal" as Pinnacle members and stockholders. Royal Caribbean has a responsibility to do what is best for their shareholders, which is get back to sea ASAP and start making money in a safe environment for their guests and crew.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, djjoe said:

This is a follow up to my post on April 23. I was happy to see so many positive responses. NCL is saying 100%, not 95% or 98%. If Royal Caribbean and NCL are both part of the "Healthy Sail Panel", just get with the program. 

Precisely!

RCCL can and should require 100% vaccinations for both passengers and crew.  In time, this can be moderated but for now this is  the way to go.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

NCL tried to goad the CDC into letting them sail faster with the fully vaccinated carrot. It didn't work.

Now NCL is stuck with it.

There's no reason for a fully vaccinated cruise unless you're going to do away with all testing, social distancing and mask requirements, which we know won't happen.

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, djjoe said:

This is a follow up to my post on April 23. I was happy to see so many positive responses. NCL is saying 100%, not 95% or 98%. If Royal Caribbean and NCL are both part of the "Healthy Sail Panel", just get with the program. Please forget about what the Governor of Florida did today. As I said in my last post, we will never get back to "normal" cruises until the vaccine is required. Let me be clear, I have no intention of jumping ship to NCL. We are both "Loyal to Royal" as Pinnacle members and stockholders. Royal Caribbean has a responsibility to do what is best for their shareholders, which is get back to sea ASAP and start making money in a safe environment for their guests and crew.

"we will never get back to "normal" cruises until the vaccine is required"  

Tell that to the CDC- they still have the conditional sail order in place despite requiring a vaccine. The conditional sail order is not normal by any means. Requiring a covid test from people that have the vaccine is nuts when you have so may false positives- who wants to take that risk of losing their vacation and money at the pier?

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL tried to goad the CDC into letting them sail faster with the fully vaccinated carrot. It didn't work.

There's no reason for a fully vaccinated cruise unless you're going to do away with all testing, social distancing and mask requirements, which we know won't happen.

Too much common sense here. Funny how the scientists do not believe their own science. No faith in the vaccine. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully RCG (which includes Celebrity) needs to make vaccinations mandatory for everyone no matter their age. 

Only fair, otherwise could see lawsuits. Safe to say kids gathering in classes are "super spreaders" as our leaders say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Too much common sense here. Funny how the scientists do not believe their own science. No faith in the vaccine. 

Right, the "scientists" say there is no covid vaccine with 100% efficacy.  For instance, the CDC says: "The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy)"  

• Like 1

Looking forward to my July cruise out of Nassau with a fully vaccinated ship over 18 years of age and under that a PCR test within 3 day of sailing. I'm just grumpy that MTD already has a waiting list 😞

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

So, cut out a good percentage of their customer base (families)? Doesnt sounds like a wise business decision.

Better than getting a reputation for superspreader cruises like Princess at the beginning of the pandemic and/or ruining or delaying the process of restarting cruises out of the US for all lines.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't quite get the *why* of it. But he is just being contrary. There will be no superspreader event even at a 98%/95% sailing. I would like to think they will do a 100%, but that may not be possible. 

Let's just get cruising started, and work it out from there. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, easy1234 said:

So, cut out a good percentage of their customer base (families)? Doesnt sounds like a wise business decision.

Sure it does to get cruising started back up for the near future. I'll leave it up to RCG or any of the other cruise line bean counters to figure out the logistics. As I said, hopefully all ages... 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I don’t think NCL is stuck with it. They can always change it just like so many other things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, easy1234 said:

If they are going to fill ships to a certain capacity I would think they wouldn’t have any trouble without kids in the beginning. I think they should start with 100% vaccinated and then slowly open it up more as long as things go well.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, djjoe said:

“Please forget?”  It’s the law in Florida now. The only question is are cruise lines doing business “in” Florida pursuant to the law? If yes, no line can require a cert. of vaccination. It can require masks, etc. If no, then the lines can require the cert. of vaccination. probably will be challenged but as it stands now, it’s the law.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

“Please forget?”  It’s the law in Florida now. The only question is are cruise lines doing business “in” Florida pursuant to the law? If yes, no line can require a cert. of vaccination. It can require masks, etc. If no, then the lines can require the cert. of vaccination. probably will be challenged but as it stands now, it’s the law.

This has been beaten to death on the NCL board and they say that the governor can control interstate business but not interstate, international or maritime business which would be federally controlled such as airlines and border control

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

This has been beaten to death on the NCL board and they say that the governor can control intrastate business but not interstate, international or maritime business which would be federally controlled such as airlines and border control

Need not worry, it will be here as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't quite get the *why* of it. But he is just being contrary. There will be no superspreader event even at a 98%/95% sailing. I would like to think they will do a 100%, but that may not be possible. 

Let's just get cruising started, and work it out from there. :classic_biggrin:

There will be no super spreader event at a 0% vaccinated sailing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mianmike said:

Right, the "scientists" say there is no covid vaccine with 100% efficacy.  For instance, the CDC says: "The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy)"  

72% in American trials, which is still 2x as effective as the flu vaccine.

8 hours ago, RoyalC said:

Only fair, otherwise could see lawsuits. Safe to say kids gathering in classes are "super spreaders" as our leaders say.

There is probably a waiver in the cruise contract that protects the cruise line against such lawsuits.

6 hours ago, CI66774 said:

It has not been proven whether that law is constitutional or not.  Businesses have the right to determine who they provide service to, as long as it does not infringe on a protected class, and unvaccinated people are not yet a protected class.

• Like 8