Question re: CDC-Mandated Mask Requirements and Greece Summer 2021 Itineraries on Silver Moon?

Jdell

Hi All,

For those of you venturing on a Silver Moon cruise this summer, have you received any details regarding mask requirements on the ship? I originally thought it would be required for all public indoor areas (except when seated for dining), but I now see reports that the CDC will require any cruise line that wishes to operate in US ports to comply with the requirement that masks be worn not only when dining, but also when on a ship's outdoor decks and at pools, regardless of being in international waters. 

We have a reservation (payment is due) for an August Silver Moon sailing and I would have an issue with having to wear a mask at dinner and at the pool/on outdoor decks. I have no issue wearing it in other public areas of the ship. I asked my TA, who went back to confirm with Silversea and the answer from SS wasn't very clear. It was along the lines of "we hope/believe these rules will be more relaxed by August". 

Is there anyone in this group that has booked the Greece itineraries that has heard anything different or more definitive than what I mentioned above? 

Thanks for any insights!

I do wish that people would do some real 'homework' when posting... this is directly from the Silversea website... I hope it is what you're looking for: 

Masks

In accordance with the Healthy Sail Panel and CDC latest recommendations, guests will be required to wear a mask in all indoor public areas, terminals and during shore excursions. Crew will be wearing masks at all times. Nevertheless, guests will not be required to wear masks while seated in restaurants, at tables in bars, and in outdoor areas in which physical distancing can be maintained. Silversea is constantly monitoring the public health guidelines and will modify its policies accordingly.

1 hour ago, Jdell said:

Is there anyone in this group that has booked the Greece itineraries that has heard anything different or more definitive than what I mentioned above? 

Silversea is not bound by CDC guidelines in foreign waters.  And, considering the Silver Moon is not scheduled to reach the U.S. shores until March 2023, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

@voyageur...Thanks...I did do 'homework' and the paragraph you excerpted has been on SS's website since they announced their Return to Sailing plan in April. I posed the question today based on the updated CDC mask mandate for cruises which they just issued this past weekend. I recognize it's intended for cruises in and out of US ports (that may head into international waters) but had heard its expectation is that all cruise operators with US interests comply. 

@Stumblefoot..thanks...that's what I am hoping--that even operators with US interests can run international cruises without this enhanced mask mandate, but hoping SS would confirm this new mandate will not apply before final payment is made. 

• Like 1

Hi, I am sailing in July and haven't received anything in regard to details about on board protocols.

I plan on bringing 3 or 4 masks with me and will just carry one with me at all times.

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Silversea is not bound by CDC guidelines in foreign waters.  And, considering the Silver Moon is not scheduled to reach the U.S. shores until March 2023, I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

Stumbles - I'm not disputing the first part of this ... However, I have Silver Moon  sailings booked in Nov/Dec 2022 that end in Fort Lauderdale on Jan 6, 2023

2 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

I have Silver Moon  sailings booked in Nov/Dec 2022 that end in Fort Lauderdale on Jan 6, 2023

You are very right!  Totally missed your voyage.  Thanks for letting us know!

Hopefully by then some of the sillier CDC requirements will be a thing of the past.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, Lois R said:

Hi, I am sailing in July and haven't received anything in regard to details about on board protocols.

I plan on bringing 3 or 4 masks with me and will just carry one with me at all times.

Yes and now we will have to think about matching our masks to our outfits 🤣. At least I won’t be bringing a full makeup bag this time...just not necessary 😉

7 minutes ago, Whaleofatime said:

Yes and now we will have to think about matching our masks to our outfits 🤣. At least I won’t be bringing a full makeup bag this time...just not necessary 😉

Masks are also great for hiding bad results on lip fillers and orthodontic misadventures.  You can also scowl at people you do not like without appearing rude ( especially if you combine the masks with dark glasses).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Masks are also great for hiding bad results on lip fillers and orthodontic misadventures.  You can also scowl at people you do not like without appearing rude ( especially if you combine the masks with dark glasses).

Don't forget that bad breath will now only punish you when wearing a mask!!

On 5/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

Don't forget that bad breath will now only punish you when wearing a mask!!

It is getting closer for those such as Lois planning to do Greek sailing this summer with Silversea.  Also, fun and interesting comments on masks about bad breath, fashion matching, etc. 

From the New York Times yesterday, they had this headline: Greece opens its doors to international tourists with these highlights: “The first signs of the tourism season creeping back to life were visible at Greece’s ports and airports on Saturday as the country officially opened its doors to international visitors.  After lifting quarantine requirements for dozens of countries last month, the Greek authorities expanded the eligibility to more nations on Friday and relaxed some restrictions. Travelers must present a certificate of vaccination, proof of recovery from Covid or a negative PCR test.  The first flights arriving at Athens International Airport came from France, Germany, Sweden, Lithuania, Latvia and Switzerland, with most visitors heading for the Greek islands. Hundreds lined up for ferries at the country’s main port of Piraeus, near the capital, joining Greeks taking advantage of the ending of a ban on travel between the country’s regions.  The mood was upbeat on many islands, where a vaccination drive has been ramped up with the aim of inoculating hundreds of thousands of permanent residents by the end of June, in time for peak tourism season.”

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/world/greece-reopen-tourists-mykonos-santorini.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 38,677 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Thanks 1

Yes, thank you for sharing, Terry. I couldn’t help but think to myself that I hope the Qatar Airways pilot alerted passengers that the fire engines spraying water over the plan was a celebration of its arrival and not an emergency 😀!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got an email explaining Covid protocols for the Moon June 18th sailing:

To enable you to prepare for your voyage with us, we are pleased to share some important information to acknowledge prior to your voyage.

With the uncertainty surrounding current travel regulations, this information might evolve by the time of your voyage. Please make sure to contact your Silversea representative or travel agent prior to departure to understand if new information is available.

IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS PRIOR TO YOUR VOYAGE:
Vaccination: All guests must have received their second vaccine shot (if applicable) at least two weeks prior to the voyage, in order to have developed immunity before boarding the ship. A copy of the vaccination certificate must be uploaded to ‘My Silversea’. Your vaccination certificate or printed copy must be shown during the check-in and embarkation process.
Health and safety: We remind you that guests are responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements to enter the country from which the voyage originates (for example, this might involve testing within 72 hours before arrival on the cruise ship with RT-PCR or other rapid tests) and to return home at the voyage’s conclusion.
Verified shore excursions: In accordance with the EU Healthy Gateways, guests wishing to go ashore in port will only be allowed to do so with a verified shore excursion party. These verified shore excursions ensure that all Silversea health and safety measures are met, including the mandatory testing of all tour guides. To better prepare for your journey with us, please book your shore excursions through My Silversea before your voyage. As a reminder, one excursion per port per day is already included in your cruise fare and can be selected from our ‘included shore excursions’ selection.
As part of these requirements, a Passenger Locator Form must be completed before entering and leaving the country. Guests included in COVID-19 risk groups should consult with their medical care provider for advice on their ability to travel and for information on the risks of travelling.

NEW EMBARKATION AND CHECK-IN PROCESS:

Our check-in process has been relaxed and will be performed entirely shore-side, while embarkation will be staggered to ensure ample space for guests’ comfort and safety.
In order to complete our sanitisation procedures and to best prepare for your journey on board, embarkation will start at 2pm and suites will be available at 4pm at the latest. Unfortunately, no guest will be allowed to embark before 2pm.
In the event of arrival at the ship before 2pm, guests will have the possibility to enjoy one of the complementary excursions taking place prior to boarding. Please book your shore excursions through My Silversea before your voyage. Should you elect not to participate in a shore excursion, you can enjoy our onboard public areas from 2pm onwards while your suite is being prepared.
Following the completion of our comprehensive sanitisation procedures, your suite will be ready to welcome you in superlative comfort from 4pm at the latest.
You will be welcomed in dedicated areas at various locations on the pier, where you will be required to present your proof of vaccination.
As a precautionary measure, you will undergo a pre-embarkation health screening, which will include a health questionnaire, touchless temperature check, and a complimentary COVID-19 rapid antigen test. Guests are advised to have the number of their Passenger Locator Form at hand as it will be requested during the registration. Only guests who complete the health screening and test negative will be permitted to board our ships. A comfortable waiting area in which you can enjoy complimentary refreshments while awaiting clearance to embark will be available.
Boarding to the ship is denied to guests who:
Are unable to provide proof of full vaccination, completed at least 2 weeks before boarding
Test positive from the rapid antigen COVID-19 test and from the RT-PCR test which will be performed as secondary medical screening
Have a temperature exceeding 38°C/100.4°F
Have symptoms of other COVID-19 symptoms detected during a secondary medical screening
All positive cases and their travelling parties will be managed on a one-by-one basis with the local health authorities. This will be in accordance to the measures, which, depending on the case, might vary from self-isolation to hospitalization.

In cases of denied boarding for COVID-19 reasons please call or email silvercare@silversea.com; 24/7 global dedicated number: +1 954 713 40 50.

ENHANCED SAFETY DRILL:

We have designed an enhanced, staggered group safety drill that will be completed in two phases to ensure physical distancing and to reduce the drill’s duration.
The safety drill’s first phase must now be completed by viewing and acknowledging the safety drill video on the ‘My Cruise’ app or on your in-suite TV. This first step must be completed upon arrival in your suite to enable you to be pre-assigned to a group, time slot, and muster station for phase two of the drill.
The second phase will be performed from a minimum of one to a maximum of three groups in our dedicated muster stations to ensure physical distancing.
PEACE OF MIND WHILE ON BOARD:

As part of our commitment to safeguarding your health and safety, we have implemented science-backed protocols on board with which you will be required to comply.
Physical distancing: While social interaction will be maintained, it is important to remain physically distanced from other guests who are not in your travelling party.
Masks: All guests will be required to wear a mask in all indoor public areas and terminals, and during shore excursions. Nevertheless, the use of masks will not be required while seated in restaurants, at tables in bars, and in outdoor areas in which physical distancing can be maintained.
Hand sanitising: For your comfort and safety, you will be required to engage in frequent handwashing. We will provide you with a luxury portable sanitisation kit, which will include a hospital-grade hand sanitiser. We have placed hand-sanitising points in prominent, easily accessible, strategic points throughout the ship.
Daily touchless temperature checks: Your butler will take your temperature in the comfort of your suite every morning.
Testing: All guests will be required to undergo a COVID-19 rapid antigen test during the cruise. The testing process will be staggered, starting from day three up until day eight of your voyage. Please note that this is a compulsory requirement from the EU Healthy Gateway Protocols pertaining all cruises operating in Europe.
COVID-19 Symptoms: In case you develop COVID-19 symptoms while on board, you should immediately notify the nearest member of onboard personnel. Contact numbers for the Medical Centre are also available on your suite’s TV and in the Chronicles. COVID-19 symptoms include cough, fever, shortness of breath, sudden onset of anosmia, ageusia or dysgeusia. Additional less specific symptoms may include headache, chills, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting and/or diarrhoea.
IN-TRANSIT GUESTS:
To enable the suite cleaning and sanitisation processes to be completed, you will be required to leave your suite at 8am. You are invited to enjoy breakfast or one of our complimentary shore excursion while waiting to be allowed back in your suite.
Silversea will provide a COVID-19 rapid antigen test for all in-transit guests, which will be performed shore-side, before starting the new voyage.
DISEMBARKATION DAY AND RETURN HOME:
To enable the suite cleaning and sanitisation processes to be completed, you will be required to leave your suite at 8am on the day of disembarkation. Before disembarking the ship by 10am, you are invited to enjoy breakfast.
Silversea will provide a complimentary COVID-19 rapid antigen test for all disembarking guests. Should you require a PCR Test, please contact your Silversea Representative or onboard team as this will have to be pre-arranged. Please note that this will have a nominal fee of $120 and will be provided through a third-party provider.
For your return journey, you are responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements—those of your country and the countries through which you are transiting, which may include additional COVID-19 testing.
If you develop COVID-19 symptoms after disembarking the ship, you should self-isolate and seek immediate medical care, sharing your travel history with the health care provider and a Silversea representative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting..........I agree with their caution but I have a question.......June 18th is the Maiden Voyage.........wouldn't you think the ship would be totally sanitized long before this first set of guests would be boarding? One would think it would be ready on the 17th actually😃

9 minutes ago, sea bright said:

I said the same thing to my husband. Hopefully they'll get us on and into our suites early. 

I understand they want protocol followed for all the sailings but you would think they would allow the first set of folks to board at least by noon.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I understand they want protocol followed for all the sailings but you would think they would allow the first set of folks to board at least by noon.

Why? its quite likely that SS have agreed very specific T&C's with the EU and Greek authorities, including embarkation and disembarkation times. I'm sure they would like to be flexible but are constrained at present, and why would they mess it up at the start.

20 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Why? its quite likely that SS have agreed very specific T&C's with the EU and Greek authorities, including embarkation and disembarkation times. I'm sure they would like to be flexible but are constrained at present, and why would they mess it up at the start.

Hi, I was not suggesting they want to mess anything up. That is why I was asking the question. I guess I forgot there are other factors involved and didn't realize the EU would be the one to tell them when guests can board the ship.

I listened to the teleconference with Ms. Muckermann this morning, and yes as stated above masks will be mandatory in certain areas and times.

The later boarding is to ensure that enhanced sanitizing protocols will be performed in the time permitted.

There will be no early boarding.

Note that the situation is fluid and things could change.

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I listened to the teleconference with Ms. Muckermann this morning, and yes as stated above masks will be mandatory in certain areas and times.

The later boarding is to ensure that enhanced sanitizing protocols will be performed in the time permitted.

There will be no early boarding.

Note that the situation is fluid and things could change.

I didn’t get a chance listen to Barbara Muckerman.  Did you get indication that you can sit at dinner with anyone that is not in your 

traveling party?   At the bar, I can see how they can 6’ distance, but at a table it’s not so easy.  We always loved having dinner with new friends.  It’s an interesting caution on a fully vaccinated cruise.  I am sure they are being extra cautious just to get these first cruises going.  Hopefully, after a few cruises, that will change.   

9 minutes ago, cece50 said:

I didn’t get a chance listen to Barbara Muckerman.  Did you get indication that you can sit at dinner with anyone that is not in your 

traveling party?   At the bar, I can see how they can 6’ distance, but at a table it’s not so easy.  We always loved having dinner with new friends.  It’s an interesting caution on a fully vaccinated cruise.  I am sure they are being extra cautious just to get these first cruises going.  Hopefully, after a few cruises, that will change.   

I didn't listen to her either but I posted this question over on the event forum.....she had replied solos could sit together so I am guessing folks that are not traveling together could probably do so too.......I could be wrong of course but if they are allowing solo guests to dine together (not traveling together) then others should be able to as well.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I didn't listen to her either but I posted this question over on the event forum.....she had replied solos could sit together so I am guessing folks that are not traveling together could probably do so too.......I could be wrong of course but if they are allowing solo guests to dine together (not traveling together) then others should be able to as well.

Thanks, Lois......of course, that makes sense.  The best part of cruising on these small ships is meeting new friends from all walks of life.  I know it’s a big part of why we look forward to getting onboard in the not too distant further.  We only have a few cruises under our belt, but we are hooked. 

Edited by cece50