CDC Lifts COVID-19 Testing Requirement for Vaccinated Cruise Passengers

19 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

More encouraging news! And makes for a good argument TO get vaccinated.  Just my humble opinion.

Yup, plus it's like a free insurance coverage option. It's makes too much sense and too much upside to ignore. Even skeptics will eventually see the math simply adds up. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I thought this was established last week?  The "video" is new, but not the content.

It was announced by CDC Friday, but the message was muddled with caveats like "unless you've been around someone with COVID within 14 days", etc.  To me this is a big announcement that brings me alot of relief because now I know I don't have to risk being denied boarding since I won't be tested.  I don't know about anyone else, but I was dreading the risk of flying to Miami with daydreams of St. Martin and St. Kitts, only to have them dashed when they test me and say "oh you must be asymptomatic, sorry, no cruise for you, talk to your airline, blah, blah, blah"...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

It was announced by CDC Friday, but the message was muddled with caveats like "unless you've been around someone with COVID within 14 days", etc.  To me this is a big announcement that brings me alot of relief because now I know I don't have to risk being denied boarding since I won't be tested.  I don't know about anyone else, but I was dreading the risk of flying to Miami with daydreams of St. Martin and St. Kitts, only to have them dashed when they test me and say "oh you must be asymptomatic, sorry, no cruise for you, talk to your airline, blah, blah, blah"...

I agree.  It is great to know that when I get to the cruise port, I know I will be able to board. I'm not the type who likes to roll the dice when it comes to cruising.  I want a sure thing.  I get travel insurance, arrive a day early, and cruise with a passport.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

More encouraging news! And makes for a good argument TO get vaccinated.  Just my humble opinion.

Or, unfortunately, to LIE about it! Sadly, the honor system only works when everyone is honorable and fully forthcoming - they are not...  😞

Yet, that's the system we'll likely have as we restart cruising.

Tom

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Or, unfortunately, to LIE about it! Sadly, the honor system only works when everyone is honorable and fully forthcoming - they are not...  😞

Tom

True, but if proof of vax is NOT required, here we are.  😞 I personally have no issue whatsoever w/requiring poof of vax, but I seem to be in the minority.  And not just on these boards - it's like that in our office.  For those of us who are vaccinated, we get a special badge to wear with our ID badge so that we are free to not wear masks anymore at the office.  I wear mine with pride, but it's surprised me how many refuse to wear it and would rather wear the mask.  And to your point, I know of several co-workers who are not vaccinated and have removed their masks, going against our policy. Honor system is not so honorable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

It is sad that terms like “greater good” and “sacrifice for others” have gone away a long time ago.  I continued to wear masks not as a political statement but as concern for others after it was not required.  Same with getting vaxxed or even the silly notion of a covid passport.

I love to travel.  We never stopped even among pandemic times (flew 2 times and 1 train in the past year for leisure).  What I do different than many is what I did different BEFORE: give space to others, say hello and thank you and take simple precautions.  Is that hard now what was being respectful then?

• Like 6

I'm vaccinated and it would not bother me at all to be around unvaccinated people who don't wear masks. That was the most ridiculous requirement ever.  What a joke.  If someone chooses to not get the vaccine and gets covid, oh well.  I don't care.  As long as they test the unvaccinated before boarding, the cruises should be good to go.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

It is sad that terms like “greater good” and “sacrifice for others” have gone away a long time ago.  I continued to wear masks not as a political statement but as concern for others after it was not required.  Same with getting vaxxed or even the silly notion of a covid passport.

I love to travel.  We never stopped even among pandemic times (flew 2 times and 1 train in the past year for leisure).  What I do different than many is what I did different BEFORE: give space to others, say hello and thank you and take simple precautions.  Is that hard now what was being respectful then?

Thanks ToomanyWakeUpsTilWeSail,

What a wonderful and thoughtful post. I agree with you. I am fully vaxxed but unfortunately still need to wear a mask in doors or in crowds because I have an autoimmune disease.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and consideration. I plan on paying it forward on your behalf once I get on board.

I am glad I will not have to test prior to boarding but I still plan on taking precautions out of respect to myself and others once on board such as wearing my mask while inside (trying to come to terms with being asked to wear my mask whilst on the dance floor...if I am even allowed to dance at all 😞 ), washing my hands and sanitizing like there is no tomorrow, not using the elevators, avoiding the main pool areas and deck parties at all costs, always maintaining social distance & traveling by myself to reinforce it, utilizing the personal space of my balcony as much as possible during the day, and eating the majority of my meals al fresco.

Much respect & appreciation,

Bethany

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

However, anyone who isn't honest and contagion is traced back to them would be subject to some serious criminal & civil liability.  You'd have to be an absolute fool to assume such risk.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dandeck said:

However, anyone who isn't honest and contagion is traced back to them would be subject to some serious criminal & civil liability.  You'd have to be an absolute fool to assume such risk.  

We're assuming here, though, that there's not a large pool of people out there who will justify away the risks... and I'm thinking that there's many millions out there capable of that.

We all make calculated decisions on a routine basis (risk/benefit), though admittedly most of us would not consider taking a chance where shame, humiliation, or prosecution might be part of the picture!

Tom

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dandeck said:

You do know our state is famous for headlines starting with "Florida man..."?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You do know our state is famous for headlines starting with "Florida man..."?

Texans were called Neanderthals so we have that.  lol  Funny thing is --- we were right, they were wrong.  So who are the real Neanderthals again?  HA HA 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Texans were called Neanderthals so we have that.  lol  Funny thing is --- we were right, they were wrong.  So who are the real Neanderthals again?  HA HA 

Exactly.  Texans didn't give in to fear and their state didn't crumble in mass of covid deaths.  

• Like 7

According to my 23 and me info:

You inherited a small amount of DNA from your Neanderthal ancestors. Out of the 2,872 variants we tested, we found 277 variants in your DNA that trace back to the Neanderthals.

All together, your Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than ~2 percent of your DNA.

---

So, nothing wrong with a little Neanderthal !!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Exactly.  Texans didn't give in to fear and their state didn't crumble in mass of covid deaths.  

It did for the year of it.  30% of small businesses closed for good because of the Governor's mandates.  Our company stayed open the whole time.  I only worked at home for a week while they were getting the building ready.  Over 2400 workers in my building.  It was great coming into work and we didn't have any spread.  We had zero deaths and zero hospitalizations.  85% of the people here got the vaccine and we don't wear masks at work any longer.  Love it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

According to my 23 and me info:

You inherited a small amount of DNA from your Neanderthal ancestors. Out of the 2,872 variants we tested, we found 277 variants in your DNA that trace back to the Neanderthals.

All together, your Neanderthal ancestry accounts for less than ~2 percent of your DNA.

---

So, nothing wrong with a little Neanderthal !!

Tom

Good point.  HA HA!!!!!  All Texans were suppose to die because we opened back up but here we are.   Lowest cases since it has started and having days with zero deaths.  So much for that media hysteria. LOL!  We have truly lost our minds and any sense.  Definitely shows that fact that we all have a little Neanderthal in us.  😉

• Like 6

I don't disagree with this change for the time coming. They can even give non-vaccinated passengers a later boarding time and offsite testing before they can go to the port. Everything is a choice and no one can make the choice for you. However, your choices have consequences that you willingly accept.

• Vaccinated: Straight to terminal and boarding process.
  • Not Vaccinate: Go to testing facility away from port, get tested, wait for results, then boarding can be assigned. A positive test for anyone in your party prevents the entire group from not boarding. The cruise line is not responsible and you would have to go through your insurance for coverage.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I don't disagree with this change for the time coming. They can even give non-vaccinated passengers a later boarding time and offsite testing before they can go to the port. Everything is a choice and no one can make the choice for you. However, your choices have consequences that you willingly accept.

• Vaccinated: Straight to terminal and boarding process.
  • Not Vaccinate: Go to testing facility away from port, get tested, wait for results, then boarding can be assigned. A positive test for anyone in your party prevents the entire group from not boarding. The cruise line is not responsible and you would have to go through your insurance for coverage.

I think that's a great idea to send unvaccinated people to a testing facility not at the port.  That way there won't be any confusion or people dropping off their bags by mistake before testing.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think that's a great idea to send unvaccinated people to a testing facility not at the port.  That way there won't be any confusion or people dropping off their bags by mistake before testing.

I agree as well, even though I was initially against it. The CDC is loosening, but not open. I truly thought they were going to lose in FL. Since that didn't happen, they are making things a little more open for cruising to begin. If they make it very time consuming or difficult for non-vaccinated passengers, they could be vaccinated cruises only. Imagine them telling non-vaccinated passengers their boarding time is only after say 2PM and testing is at 1PM. Regardless of Triple Diamond, I Am Better Than All status, they board at the end and after a negative test. If it is positive, there is no time left for a second. This way all arguments are away from the cruise line and all other passengers that are sailing. I kind of compare this to Pier Runners...they can be called Covid Casualties.

• Like 1