Which port is the worst?

Trueblueky

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As kids, we ate Rhubarb raw, right out the garden. Had a small bag of sugar to dip it in.

Mmm, yes... I was born in the "rhubarb triangle" of Yorkshire, and we were allowed to play in the fields where the old stalks were left to seed. We hid under the vast leaves with our poke of sugar... we called it "tuski", though. x

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 10:05 PM, ilikeanswers said:

Maybe people like this guy 😂:

The Man Who Ate 30,000 Big Macs

Interesting in the above article that they mention Fond Du Lac, WA. It is actually Wisconsin.

Since we are traveling from Minnesota in the winter our biggest wish is for warm, calm weather. Our last 10 day cruise in the Caribbean, we only got off the boat once. When you are getting everything you want for your vacation on the ship including your private balcony, I have no problem staying on the ship.

BUT. I am willing to spend more than some to get a "true" feeling of the local vibe. For example I have wanted to do a cooking excursion for years, but the timing just hasn't worked out.  The good local ones I have looked at run around $300-$400 pp. I also like small 2 to 6 people historical tours, that are more expensive but much more relaxed and I feel more informative.

I agree that a lot of the Caribbean ports seem rather cookie cutter. It is just what it is, they decided to go that route and focus on the cruise money. I would love to be able to sail (I don't know how) and go from small island to small island and really take it in. But since I don't how to sail, I would need to hire a crew and that ain't happening.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have you been there?

We've been to Jamaica twice, and enjoyed the country both times.

The first time (before we discovered cruises) was for our 20th anniversary. We stayed at an AI that was locally owned and had a fine time.

The second was a cruise stop. We took a Bob Marley bus tour and had a blast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The first time (before we discovered cruises) was for our 20th anniversary. We stayed at an AI that was locally owned and had a fine time.

Which sort of side steps the issue.   Talking about ports on a cruise thread really should not involve AI's, which do not involve cruises;  and taking a packaged tour means you keep yourself insulated from the port.  In my view, a good cruise port is one where you can safely and easily go about on your own to experience the area.  This would exclude Royal Caribbean's fenced in enclave on the north coast of Haiti -- while the beach and facilities were nice enough, it had little to do with Haiti --- it could have been anywhere.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We have done AI resorts mostly sandals about 7 times , also been there on cruise stops at least a dozen times , definitely a beautiful island .been going there for about 30 years.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which sort of side steps the issue.   Talking about ports on a cruise thread really should not involve AI's, which do not involve cruises;  and taking a packaged tour means you keep yourself insulated from the port.  In my view, a good cruise port is one where you can safely and easily go about on your own to experience the area.  This would exclude Royal Caribbean's fenced in enclave on the north coast of Haiti -- while the beach and facilities were nice enough, it had little to do with Haiti --- it could have been anywhere.

I won't argue with you about AIs, but the cruise line tour we took did see part of the island of Jamaica that most tourists do not see. There is more to an island nation than the area immediately around the port. And since it was a cruise line sponsored excursion, it definitely is relevant to any discussion on these boards.

When I must pass through a mass of taxi drivers outside of the port building in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay in order to visit the island and patronize a nearby Margaritaville, I am not going to do so.  My day aboard ship will be much more pleasant.  

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When I must pass through a mass of taxi drivers outside of the port building in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay in order to visit the island and patronize a nearby Margaritaville, I am not going to do so.  My day aboard ship will be much more pleasant.  

I miss Ocho Rios , I always liked that Margaritaville we normally stop at Falmouth . But always nice to stay on the ship if you have the drink package.

19 minutes ago, George C said:

I miss Ocho Rios , I always liked that Margaritaville we normally stop at Falmouth . But always nice to stay on the ship if you have the drink package.

DW misses Jamaica (Ochos Rios) every time I put a Bob Marley CD on in the car stereo.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I’m the odd one but I always found the cruise line private islands kind of meh. They are neat to see and pretty relaxing, but there’s nothing really cultural to see, and any money you may spend just goes back to the cruise line anyway compared to other ports. 

I don’t dislike them but they aren’t a draw for me like some. I see cruises offer two trips even to their private islands which are super popular, just not for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sergel02 said:

Maybe I’m the odd one but I always found the cruise line private islands kind of meh. They are neat to see and pretty relaxing, but there’s nothing really cultural to see, and any money you may spend just goes back to the cruise line anyway compared to other ports. 

I don’t dislike them but they aren’t a draw for me like some. I see cruises offer two trips even to their private islands which are super popular, just not for me.

We've never been to any of the private islands. DW is a beach person so she would probably enjoy them for a change, but not as much as the cultural stuff. And I agree with your perspective on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sergel02 said:

They are neat to see and pretty relaxing, but there’s nothing really cultural to see,

Private islands have not been developed to provide a cultural experience, as I think you are defining such.

Nonetheless, one can interact with persons of a different culture who are employed at that private island.  Who knows?  One might find a citizen of that private island's employees who will make you the best Rum Punch that you have ever tasted.  That would be part of my definition of a cultural experience.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Private islands have not been developed to provide a cultural experience, as I think you are defining such.

Nonetheless, one can interact with persons of a different culture who are employed at that private island.  Who knows?  One might find a citizen of that private island's employees who will make you the best Rum Punch that you have ever tasted.  That would be part of my definition of a cultural experience.  

Oh I agree with interacting with the people and staff. One of my favorite parts of cruising is interacting with the crew on board and learning their stories and where they come from.

Private island just tend to not provide as much of those chances as going to other ports, and there are less historical or cultural sites. I remember going to St. Thomas and seeing the damage the hurricanes had done and seeing how life had change, which made it really fulfilling.

I definitely understand that the islands purpose isn’t that, and it’s more for fun and relaxation and that’s fine too! I still find them interesting and I enjoy them, just out of all the ports I’ve visited they end up influencing my decision the least.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, sergel02 said:

Totally agree w you.  I find beaches to be totally boring w absolutely nothing to do.  The private beaches are even more boring than a normal beach.  At least w a normal beach, you can leave the beach and go into town which might be interesting or have interesting shops or restaurants or bars.  On a private beach, the only place you can go to is back to the ship which is moored or docked at the private beach doing nothing but sitting there going nowhere.

DON

• Like 1

I think I'm with a lot of others here.  I could spend an hour or so having a cold drink and enjoying the ocean, as long as I'm under shade.    But spending a day on the beach to soak up sun, getting potted, or whatever is done all day on a private beach is not for me.    

All in all, I guess it is kind of rich folk problem.  

• Like 1

Private beaches/islands are ok once in a while, but not my favorite stops for sure.  I do like some beach time and enjoy swimming, so that part is fine, just not on every cruise.  I'd rather do something active, cultural or historical.

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

But spending a day on the beach to soak up sun,

I enjoy visiting private islands, but not as a whole day adventure.  If I spent such time in the Sun, I would be a sun-burned wreck for the rest of the cruise regardless of the strength of the lotion!  (My dermatologist would be disappointed in me while his bank account increased, however.)  

Half Moon Cay's bar I Could Stay Here Forever is my favorite place for a Pina Colada or two.  MSC's Ocean Cay is an excellent private island.  And, in some ways, exceeds the Half Moon Cay experience.  

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 1:53 AM, donaldsc said:

I find it interesting that most of these bad ports are located in the Caribbean or places close to the Caribbean.  Aren't there bad ports on other continents?

DON

I think that the definition of “bad port” for many who only sail in the Caribbean is: “I didn’t research this port, got off the ship, didn’t see a Señor Frogs surrounded by other chain stores in pretty pastel colored buildings, and the authenticity of it all scared the crap out of me”. 

When people cruise in other parts of the world, they quickly learn the reality that many port areas are ugly, industrial, far from attractions, etc. But they are the gateways to fantastic destinations; a concept that seems lost on a lot of Caribbean cruisers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When folks talk about the Caribbean and disliking beaches, water and sun...all in the same sentence it makes me wonder why they even cruise in the Caribbean.  While we are long time extensive travelers (all over the world) we still return to the Caribbean (usually about once or twice a year) for the sun, sand, beaches, and ocean water.  For folks looking for more culture and lots of interesting things to do they might want to consider going elsewhere in the world such as to Europe, Asia, Africa or South America.  We have been all over the Caribbean (been doing this for over 50 years) and have never found much to excite us other then the sun, sand, and water.   One can find some land based items of interest on some islands (such as Harrison's Cave on Barbados) but most pale by comparison to what is found in other parts of the world in terms of things to see and do.  Consider a city like Paris with its dozens of great museums, amazing food/wine.  When I think of visiting Ephesus (near the port of Kusadasi, Turkey) there is nothing in the Caribbean that comes even close unless you talk about SCUBA and Snorkel opportunities.  A SCUBA diver might certainly prefer a dive in the Caymans over anything in Europe.

As to the question about bad ports in other parts of the world (we have previously talked about Murmansk and Constanta),  I think what sometimes happens on CC is that we hear from mostly folks who only cruise in the Caribbean.  They are simply posting about places they have been and cannot talk about places they have never visited.  

Hank

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think what sometimes happens on CC is that we hear from mostly folks who only cruise in the Caribbean. 

Yes, I think that is a fair thought.  

A port that many have thought--and continue to think--is a "worst" port is Sihanoukville, Cambodia.  Can't comment on what one would experience if one only stayed in the port.  But, the port in the entryway for a visit to Phnom Penh.  The city itself and the sites I visited were worth the time.  The time I traveled through the countryside between the Port and the City during daylight and after sunset were culturally revealing as well.  

One thing that impressed me so much during that visit was the people.  Knowing what they had endured, there was no hostility, no negativity because of what the Vietnam War did to their country nor the oppression that they had experienced. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When folks talk about the Caribbean and disliking beaches, water and sun...all in the same sentence it makes me wonder why they even cruise in the Caribbean. 

Hank

We don't!  😀

Actually been to the Caribbean twice. Once was part of a Panama Canal crossing which was the target of the itinerary.  The other was part of a big family group cruise we decided to join.   

I like water.  I like beaches.  I don't like sitting out in the sun for the sake of sun bathing because I especially don't like what the skin doc is going to do.  Of course, I can't avoid the sun and in fact am frequently out on a fishing boat. I use a lot of sun screen.  I don't apply it with a paint roller, but close!     

• Like 1