Contact tracing device

tamsno

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They have never suggested this technology.  Besides the flashpoint of “contact tracing” the technology has some excellent benefits.   So far HAL only has the Navigator app. 

And negatives.   I don’t need to have HAL know where I am every second.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yeah, I didn’t want to stir the pot, that’s why I called it a flashpoint.  Without the controversial tracing it is pretty nifty. I am a tech nerd 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Yeah, I didn’t want to stir the pot, that’s why I called it a flashpoint.  Without the controversial tracing it is pretty nifty. I am a tech nerd 

LOL - I love tech and use some of it a lot (and a lot I don’t know) but I don’t let it know my location and I don’t like the idea of being tracked.

Nothing to do with covid, that I get but more like “Big Brother”.  Just gives me the willies that I can tracked on my Ipad, Smartphone, etc.  All the location devices are off for a reason 😉 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I agree.  No need for that.  But, the technology exists for an improved guest experience.  No experience with Princess' Medallion, but I was quite pleased with MSC's Yacht Club wrist band when I sailed on Meraviglia.  

• Like 1

I have sailed on Princes many time since they had the  Medallion.  At the pier I always got a cruise card and told them to keep the Medallion.  I did not like some of the features of it.  Like opening my door as I get in so many feet of my cabin, I was told that is what it would so.  Maybe some one else who used it can tell me, did it show your picture and name on the screen by your cabin door when used?

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

I have sailed on Princes many time since they had the  Medallion.  At the pier I always got a cruise card and told them to keep the Medallion.  I did not like some of the features of it.  Like opening my door as I get in so many feet of my cabin, I was told that is what it would so.  Maybe some one else who used it can tell me, did it show your picture and name on the screen by your cabin door when used?

Picture yes, name no.  And the picture you upload for that purpose can be anything you want.

Royal Princess at Vancouver, BC.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

LOL - I love tech and use some of it a lot (and a lot I don’t know) but I don’t let it know my location and I don’t like the idea of being tracked.

Nothing to do with covid, that I get but more like “Big Brother”.  Just gives me the willies that I can tracked on my Ipad, Smartphone, etc.  All the location devices are off for a reason 😉 

As soon as your cell phone connects to a cell tower they know where you are, even with location services off.  I am sure nothing illegal is going on.  We just went to the Van Goh exhibit today, we had to sign in for contact tracing.  It is a benefit, if you are on a ship, and if someone get diagnosed with Covid, they need to know who was in contact with these people.  If you don’t like to get tracked keep your cell phone powered off at all times when you are not using it.  Just think if you were ever lost say on a hike people are often found by their cell phone signal.  People lose their phone and can use location services to find it. Does have benefits.  HAL already knows where we are through cameras.  Every time someone uses a credit card they know where you are.  If people choose to use technology privacy is an illusion.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

As soon as your cell phone connects to a cell tower they know where you are, even with location services off.  I am sure nothing illegal is going on.  We just went to the Van Goh exhibit today, we had to sign in for contact tracing.  It is a benefit, if you are on a ship, and if someone get diagnosed with Covid, they need to know who was in contact with these people.  If you don’t like to get tracked keep your cell phone powered off at all times when you are not using it.  Just think if you were ever lost say on a hike people are often found by their cell phone signal.  People lose their phone and can use location services to find it. Does have benefits.  HAL already knows where we are through cameras.  Every time someone uses a credit card they know where you are.  If people choose to use technology privacy is an illusion.  

That's always been my argument in favor of google knowing where I am every minute, it might help in an emergency.  Gotta take the good with the bad.  I personally feel we are much better off with smartphones than without.

One of the things I love about cruising is that our cell phones get powered off.  We generally power them down and put them in the safe.  The day we arrive back at the home port we turn them back on.  Just give me a key to my room and I am good.  

• Like 1

Actually, my sense of direction is sooo bad I mark the ship location on Google maps as "home".  If I wander too far and the taxi drivers don't speak English I can show them or as usual I walk back.  Usually I do learn the words for "cruise ship"

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Actually, my sense of direction is sooo bad I mark the ship location on Google maps as "home".  If I wander too far and the taxi drivers don't speak English I can show them or as usual I walk back.  Usually I do learn the words for "cruise ship"

We also use our phone for “non-phone” purposes.  We use Maps.me app for data free navigating plus the camera comes in handy.

3 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland America  will have something like this ,  some day .

Personally, I am hoping it's a long time from now---as in, someday when I am no longer cruising. 
At the very least, have 'old fashioned' methods for those of us who don't care to be connected. 

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I do not think there is any fear of this in the short term.

HAL's IT folks are hardly 'cutting edge'. 

They seem to have enough challenges just keeping their web site functioning.

🤣🤣🤣

You nailed it.  The website and app leave something to be desired.  I don't bother booking on the website anymore, I just call.  I'm filled with envy after using Princess or Cunard which are lightning fast. You would think 2020 would have provided them plenty of time to revamp some of it, but...

14 minutes ago, atexsix said:

🤣🤣🤣

You nailed it.  The website and app leave something to be desired.  I don't bother booking on the website anymore, I just call.  I'm filled with envy after using Princess or Cunard which are lightning fast. You would think 2020 would have provided them plenty of time to revamp some of it, but...

It is a reflection of their marketing dept.  Inept.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iancal said:

It is a reflection of their marketing dept.  Inept.

I would hope they at least worked on improving Navigator if that's what they are going to be relying on, why do other cruise lines get cool sounding futuristic wrist devices while we get a boring old app?

• Like 1