Silhouette around Britain staycruisecations

Thameside

Just received the suite guest complimentary pyjamas. They are very small I’m a size 10/12 and the bottoms were snug in the small to medium size. However the top is massive. I have done a partial swap with my husband so he is wearing the small bottoms and I’m wearing the medium to large. A woman’s bottom is more curvy and the bottoms feel better suited to a man. The thought is nice but I feel like I am in prison uniform or institutionalized!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, delondin said:

Just received the suite guest complimentary pyjamas. They are very small I’m a size 10/12 and the bottoms were snug in the small to medium size. However the top is massive. I have done a partial swap with my husband so he is wearing the small bottoms and I’m wearing the medium to large. A woman’s bottom is more curvy and the bottoms feel better suited to a man. The thought is nice but I feel like I am in prison uniform or institutionalized!  

Yeah - I've asked for "the biggest ones they have" and am expecting them to be too small, but we'll see.

33 minutes ago, NewWestwardbound said:

Celebrity Silhouette, Mersey Ferries terminal, Liver Building. 

9AD44521-72FE-4025-8280-4BB64020E10E.jpeg

Thanks so much for sharing these photos.  I'll be sailing on her shortly, and have booked a tour of the city, which I am hoping to cancel if the 'bubble' requirement is lifted, because the Pier Head is around 15 miles from my front door!

On 7/9/2021 at 10:47 PM, Bretty said:

What an amazing view to wake up to. We’ve booked the Holiday Inn, and it looks very close to the terminal, is it an easy walk to the terminal from there - with one large suitcase and a carry on - or is it a cab ride?

Have a wonderful cruise.

The photo is taken from the hotel bedroom window. It’s about 500yds walk straight under the arch. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spearj said:

I can only find pictures of the cabins before they were revolutionised.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure the cabins have been revolutionised. I heard someone say that on our cruise. Looking at photo's from 2015, the cabins still look the same. The shower had definitely been used, as there was mould in the grooves between panels. Some of the public areas may have been upgraded, but the MDR still looks the same, with the same chairs. I think most of the revolution probably went into the Retreat offering on board, with the suites being upgraded and the new Retreat areas created. 

We were in Concierge class 1231. 

When we were on Summit, the cabins had been revolutionised and there was smoked glass for drawer and cupboard fronts compared to the wood finish on Constellation. The shower curtain from Constellation was gone and replaced with glass On Summit.

It was still comfortable though. 

Shower.jpeg

Bathroom.jpeg

Bedroom 1.jpeg

Bedroom.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I have returned from the first Staycation Cruise. Overall, very enjoyable. I was a bit miffed at not leaving the ship in ports of call, but just being back onboard was great. 

A few observations. The wifi was absolutely hopeless. Many have commented on this. I could not even get onto Cruise Critic to post anything, though I see some managed to. I managed to receive and send email, but internet searches were very slow to impossible.

Select Dining was a bit hit and miss. I tried to book ahead via the App and the only times on offer were 5:30 and 5:45 and there were no options at all 3+ days ahead. I spoke with the Concierge and this was sorted for me with her booking a regular 8:15 slot for me (except football night, of course!!) as days became available. She was very helpful. However on arriving at the restaurant in the evening there was just one queue, so not very well thought out as we waited behind the walk-ins who often had to leave with a 'bleeper'.

I hope they get the IT department to sort out access to the menu in Cafe Al Bacio. There was no menu on the App, and the QR code on the tables came back with 'menu not available'. Luckily I remembered many of the coffees and teas available. But the staff had to try to provide information for first timers, and I am sure many never ordered other than basic teas and coffees due to lack of information.

I actually left some food in the Oceanview, which I don't usually do as I normally take just what I want, but of course now it is served to you. I completely understand and agree with the reason for this. But, I wish the servers understood 'just a little' means just that.

In the evenings people were dressed up more than on many cruises - and I did not see a single backwards baseball cap worn indoors. Chic night was great and a few kilts too. 

A different experience, but so happy to be cruising.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I tried to book ahead via the App and the only times on offer were 5:30 and 5:45 and there were no options at all 3+ days ahead.

Obviously many passengers had pre booked weeks ahead. 
18.45 was available every night when I booked a few weeks ago ( for 06/08/21 cruise).

20 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

18.45 was available every night when I booked a few weeks ago ( for 06/08/21 cruise).

I know it is possible to book way ahead, but I find it difficult to plan what I will be doing every night in advance. I liked the 'old' Select dining before the reservations system was available. It seemed to work well then, with no bleepers. 

Enjoy your cruise, only a few more weeks for you!  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I have returned from the first Staycation Cruise. Overall, very enjoyable. I was a bit miffed at not leaving the ship in ports of call, but just being back onboard was great. 

A few observations. The wifi was absolutely hopeless. Many have commented on this. I could not even get onto Cruise Critic to post anything, though I see some managed to. I managed to receive and send email, but internet searches were very slow to impossible.

Select Dining was a bit hit and miss. I tried to book ahead via the App and the only times on offer were 5:30 and 5:45 and there were no options at all 3+ days ahead. I spoke with the Concierge and this was sorted for me with her booking a regular 8:15 slot for me (except football night, of course!!) as days became available. She was very helpful. However on arriving at the restaurant in the evening there was just one queue, so not very well thought out as we waited behind the walk-ins who often had to leave with a 'bleeper'.

I hope they get the IT department to sort out access to the menu in Cafe Al Bacio. There was no menu on the App, and the QR code on the tables came back with 'menu not available'. Luckily I remembered many of the coffees and teas available. But the staff had to try to provide information for first timers, and I am sure many never ordered other than basic teas and coffees due to lack of information.

I actually left some food in the Oceanview, which I don't usually do as I normally take just what I want, but of course now it is served to you. I completely understand and agree with the reason for this. But, I wish the servers understood 'just a little' means just that.

In the evenings people were dressed up more than on many cruises - and I did not see a single backwards baseball cap worn indoors. Chic night was great and a few kilts too. 

A different experience, but so happy to be cruising.

Thanks @laslomasfor taking the time to post this report, much appreciated. 👍

I was interested in what you said about not knowing what to order in the Cafe Al Bacio because the menu was not on the app. Is it the same in the bars I.e. you can only order what’s on the app, or can you chat with the bar tenders at the bar as normal and get recommendations?

We are on the 23rd sailing and have a bit of fun arranged with some of the others based around ordering unusual drinks from each bar, this ordering only what’s on the app could scupper that. 😢

11 minutes ago, TimWB said:

Thanks @laslomasfor taking the time to post this report, much appreciated. 👍

I was interested in what you said about not knowing what to order in the Cafe Al Bacio because the menu was not on the app. Is it the same in the bars I.e. you can only order what’s on the app, or can you chat with the bar tenders at the bar as normal and get recommendations?

We are on the 23rd sailing and have a bit of fun arranged with some of the others based around ordering unusual drinks from each bar, this ordering only what’s on the app could scupper that. 😢

At each bar you can access the drinks menu on the App (except Al Bacio, but this may have just been a blip). There are more choices in some places than others. I always loved spending time perusing the Martini Bar menu, somehow it is not quite the same managing on the App. I think I always ordered from the relevant bar menu, but only through luck probably. I expect most servers will go out of their way to find what you want, as was always the case.

I think the saddest thing is seeing so many people on their phones, in bars and restaurants. After the first night they started having paper menus available on entering the MDR - much easier!

Have fun with your 'bar crawl' 🙂 

Edited by laslomas
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bandic said:

I am not sure the cabins have been revolutionised. I heard someone say that on our cruise. Looking at photo's from 2015, the cabins still look the same. The shower had definitely been used, as there was mould in the grooves between panels. Some of the public areas may have been upgraded, but the MDR still looks the same, with the same chairs. I think most of the revolution probably went into the Retreat offering on board, with the suites being upgraded and the new Retreat areas created. 

Looking at your photos (thanks for posting!) it looks as though the cabin has had new carpets and curtains, but not much else!😕

In the sky suite picture posted earlier, all the woodwork’s been redone as well.

Shame this wasn’t carried through the rest of the ship…

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I just logged on and booked my dining choices for the whole cruise. I was able to get my choice of time (7:45 pm) for most days, only 1 or 2 days did I have to choose slightly earlier or later than my preferred dining time. Usually we have the concierge book our dinner slots when on board, but as this cruise seems to be busy with pre-bookings, I decided to be ultra organised. We can always change 1 or 2 slots on board, if we find they do not fit with our plans.

6 hours ago, Bandic said:

When we were on Summit, the cabins had been revolutionised and there was smoked glass for drawer and cupboard fronts compared to the wood finish on Constellation. The shower curtain from Constellation was gone and replaced with glass On Summit.

It was still comfortable though. 

Shower.jpeg

Bathroom.jpeg

Bedroom 1.jpeg

Bedroom.jpeg

As expected the money went to the Retreat for Suites, improved Micheal Club for suites, the "new" craft bar and of course the new cabins - wonder if they have USB points.

20 minutes ago, the penguins said:

As expected the money went to the Retreat for Suites, improved Micheal Club for suites, the "new" craft bar and of course the new cabins - wonder if they have USB points.

Hi Geoff. We are in an S1 (probably the one and only time) and the bedside light on one side only has 2 USB ports. Amazingly there is only one US socket and one 2 pin continental socket in the whole suite. Could be my ageing memory but l thought there were 2 US sockets in standard veranda cabins . 

12 minutes ago, Definitas said:

Hi Geoff. We are in an S1 (probably the one and only time) and the bedside light on one side only has 2 USB ports. Amazingly there is only one US socket and one 2 pin continental socket in the whole suite. Could be my ageing memory but l thought there were 2 US sockets in standard veranda cabins . 

Any pics please?

12 minutes ago, Definitas said:

Hi, if that’s one of the corner cabins (which I guess it is if it’s an S1) 

is there any chance at all, that you could post a picture, please 🙏?

6 hours ago, Bandic said:

Thanks for taking the time to post and share your photos.

We love 1231!  We last sailed in her in 2018, and what your photos show are at least new carpets and probably drapes.  And the sofa used to be fabric cushions, looks like it may now be the rock hard Hoppen stuff.   I have a vague recollection of reading that the Silhouette "revolution," for the non-suites, was only the "soft goods," which squares with your photos.    There's some other stuff they didn't do, like carving up the Sky Lounge, which I'm very happy they did not get to.  I was also happy to read in your comments that they didn't add the bizarre and uncomfortable Alice in Wonderland chairs to the MDR.

I hope you had a great time!

I’ll have a go but the internet is pretty flaky. We are very pleased with the cabin and the layout (but would want more hanging space on a longer cruise. The pole is not really an issue (but it’s not on my side!

C40C39CB-B976-46F8-BFC3-7CC8A79F6A30.jpeg

49DDFD64-2EA9-4947-9808-CBC1297D4C7A.jpeg

3F5EEFBA-B757-4B61-8588-4048FF4DCC3D.jpeg

C079E5BE-CF67-432B-9D3C-F0E6DEE16CCD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Definitas said:

I’ll have a go but the internet is pretty flaky. We are very pleased with the cabin and the layout (but would want more hanging space on a longer cruise. The pole is not really an issue (but it’s not on my side!

Thank you so much!

You’re an absolute star ️!

I have a question. I spent an hour today on the app and on the website trying to find where to put in my dining time choices. I finally gave up. Please. Can somebody put me out of my misery please and explain where to go and what to do.   Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, little britain said:

The photo is taken from the hotel bedroom window. It’s about 500yds walk straight under the arch. 

For our last cruise from Southampton, Silhouette to Norway Fjords; Aug 2019 we were able to walk to the pier through the main gates next to the hotel. However on our disembarkation these gates close to the hotel were locked and we had to get a taxi from the port to take us back to the hotel, which involved using another set of gates some distance away and then coming down the main road back in to Southampton. So best to check this gate is open before lugging the cases towards the ship.

We have booked a "Stay, Park, Cruise" package at the Holiday Inn which includes the overnight accommodation, parking for up to 15 days, breakfast for 2 and return taxi to/from the port.