Who was that masked person?

khuselid

Since O requires ALL to be vaccinated, why the mask requirement? CDC says we can be indoors without masks if we are all vaccinated. So just wondering what you know? We have a cruise scheduled for Nov. 7 and final payment is coming due. We don't want to cruise with masks. I know none of you has a crystal ball, but I am wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding this issue. I imagine, if things keep getting better that things will change by November. I am also wondering what going onshore will look like.

I do wish we could defer final payment for a couple of months until things become clearer. 

8 minutes ago, khuselid said:

Since O requires ALL to be vaccinated, why the mask requirement? CDC says we can be indoors without masks if we are all vaccinated. So just wondering what you know? We have a cruise scheduled for Nov. 7 and final payment is coming due. We don't want to cruise with masks. I know none of you has a crystal ball, but I am wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding this issue. I imagine, if things keep getting better that things will change by November. I am also wondering what going onshore will look like.

I do wish we could defer final payment for a couple of months until things become clearer. 

Are you sure your final payment is due soon?   For our October cruise on Nautica (which we are moving to 2023), final payment was moved to August 2021.   Check your cruise planner on line - it will show the actual date - or call  your TA.

Joe (somewhere nearby...)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, khuselid said:

Things are changing very fast right now. I would be shocked if that’s still true by November. Pretty sure it’s already changed on NCL. Might just not have updated the O website yet. Lots of scrambling going on.

Hi Joe from somewhere nearby,

Our TA said they are holding to the 180 days for now because they are pretty certain the cruise is sailing. I will keep my eye out though. Our cruise planner still says 6/10.🤨

• Like 1

GENERAL – HEALTH & SAFETY

1. Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew, therefore face coverings are not required but are highly recommended where physical distancing is not possible indoors.

On the Oceania website under Sail Safe FAQ

• Like 3

2 hours ago, khuselid said:

Hi Joe from somewhere nearby,

Our TA said they are holding to the 180 days for now because they are pretty certain the cruise is sailing. I will keep my eye out though. Our cruise planner still says 6/10.🤨

The date for your final payment is determined by OCEANIA and not your TA.

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I read the 5 reasons, but only 1 reason could possibly apply to a 100% vaccinated crew and pax ship.  Since the vaccine is not 100% effective, it is still possible to get infected. But, this doesn’t take into account the effect the vaccine has on reducing the severity of the disease.
Although, perhaps I spoke too soon, as another reason suggests that the vaccinated could still transmit the disease to others unvaccinated (onshore during excursions). 
However, I think the science (and the CDC) no longer argues for a 100% vaccinated ship to mandate wearing masks in public places.....

11 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I read the 5 reasons, but only 1 reason could possibly apply to a 100% vaccinated crew and pax ship.  Since the vaccine is not 100% effective, it is still possible to get infected. But, this doesn’t take into account the effect the vaccine has on reducing the severity of the disease.
Although, perhaps I spoke too soon, as another reason suggests that the vaccinated could still transmit the disease to others unvaccinated (onshore during excursions). 
However, I think the science (and the CDC) no longer argues for a 100% vaccinated ship to mandate wearing masks in public places.....

I found the article interesting

everyone has to make their own  choices

I am not sure there is enough information out there on the vaccine & the variants of the virus

If vaccinated people are asymptomatic  & can still spread  the virus  how can anyone know  who they are ?

It is still early days  for the vaccine/virus  & how it will evolve

Here in Canada  most  that have been vaccinated  only have 1 dose  ..it will be quite a while before many are fully vaccinated

We will still be wearing masks for  a bit longer

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure there is enough information out there on the vaccine & the variants of the virus

If vaccinated people are asymptomatic  & can still spread  the virus  how can anyone know  who they are ?

It is still early days  for the vaccine/virus  & how it will evolve

Here in Canada  most  that have been vaccinated  only have 1 dose  ..it will be quite a while before many are fully vaccinated

We will still be wearing masks for  a bit longer

Yes, but on O everyone will be fully vaccinated......

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Although I disclaim any medical expertise, I believe that this March 8 article now is somewhat dated in that reason 3 no longer is accurate. The CDC now has determined that those vaccinated are NOT asymptomatic spreaders.

New research daily keeps our heads spinning on this terrible disease’s issues!

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, CintiPam said:

Note that I disclaim any medical e Perri’s even but I believe that this March 8 article now is somewhat dated in that reason 3 no longer is accurate. The CDC now has determined that those vaccinated are NOT asymptomatic spreaders.

Thank Pam

I still think it is early days to be 100%  sure of   the effectiveness of the vaccines  but just my opinion

The variants are spreading far & wide so the current vaccine may or may not work as well

Disclaimer

I am not a medical doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  🙂

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

....nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  🙂

Lyn, you have me stumped. To what are you referring with this expression?

Yes, although I now am what I term a “recovering attorney,” those corporate lawyer disclaimers still pepper my writing!

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

The date for your final payment is determined by OCEANIA and not your TA.

A very good point. Not sure about elsewhere in the world but i know there is one chain of TAs here in Oz who get full payment before the Oceania date then hold the money until required to pay to Oceania. Not very ethical in my view.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

....New research daily keeps our heads spinning on this terrible disease’s issues!

And that is why mask “advisement” today can be mask “required” tomorrow.

“Hope for the best - prepare for the worst.”

And let’s hope that everyone on an O ship will quickly comply with whatever health and safety policy/procedure is asked of them by officers and crew once on the ship.

2 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

A very good point. Not sure about elsewhere in the world but i know there is one chain of TAs here in Oz who get full payment before the Oceania date then hold the money until required to pay to Oceania. Not very ethical in my view.

Deano

It’s not that uncommon in the US for a TA to set a “buffer” date for payment info a week or two before the actual O payment date (just to avoid things like unexpected communications lapses). Nonetheless, it remains O that then charges your CC on/before the true due date.

BTW: hope all is well on your end. O cruises in your not-too-distant future?

11 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Lyn, you have me stumped. To what are you referring with this expression?

Yes, although I now am what I term a “recovering attorney,” those corporate lawyer disclaimers still pepper my writing!

It was a TV commercial  a couple of years ago   😄

Maybe not on US TV

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Deano

It’s not that uncommon in the US for a TA to set a “buffer” date for payment info a week or two before the actual O payment date (just to avoid things like unexpected communications lapses). Nonetheless, it remains O that then charges your CC on/before the true due date.

BTW: hope all is well on your end. O cruises in your not-too-distant future?

The TAs I’m referring to here get people to pay months before due date, bank it and pay Oceania on the due date directly. As I said, very unethical.

(I have a booking Oct 2022 on Regatta as I am unsure travel outside of Australia will be possible much before that)

10 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

The TAs I’m referring to here get people to pay months before due date, bank it and pay Oceania on the due date directly. As I said, very unethical.

(I have a booking Oct 2022 on Regatta as I am unsure travel outside of Australia will be possible much before that)

Deano do you think there is any chance of Regatta cruise in Dec 21 round oz Thanks 

2 hours ago, palakika said:

Lyn, yes it was on US Tv among other funny Holiday Inn Express commercials.  You gave me a real chuckle!

Francie

These days  we all need a good chuckle 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Do TA's in OZ  require you to pay them directly  & not the payment going to the cruise line or tour company directly?

I know in the UK that is common practice   unlike here in Canada where that would throw up many red flags

Deano,

So if this Travel Agency follows this very early payment practice, do you have other agencies that operate more closely with normal Oceania payment dates?  I know from our friends from OZ that there are major differences from pricing to payments in OZ.  We are fortunate in the US to be able to set up payments or final payments on auto pay to preclude such practices. We have never paid anyone but Oceania and only via a credit card.

If I did not like my agency/agents service and charges, I would not do business with them. Since I normally book upwards of two years in advance, pre-Covid, I will not even travel with or sail with a company who is holding all my money for the entire length of time from booking to sailing

Thanks for your posts, it reminds me I need to check in on our friends from Adelaide.