Oceania to French Polynesia - Bad idea?

hokie_fan

I started researching here be cause French Polynesia is on the bucket list and it seems that cruising is the best bang for my buck. I have never cruised with Oceania, but the prices seem really good and oddly less than NCL.  I read a thread on this site that Windstar or PG would be better for this area, but are they really worth paying DOUBLE for a shorter cruise?  I am more of a "the cheaper you go, the more you go" kind of person to a point.

I am looking at a 10 day leaving  March 17, 2023.  I live on the east coast and do cruises to escape as much of the winter as possible.  Is March a much less desirable time to go?  I never travel during the summer.  I would not take their airfare deal, because I had rather have couple of days in Papeete to adjust to  the time change.

So far from reading this board, I realize that I need to find a TA rather than deal with the person from Oceania that keeps calling me. Yes, I did make the mistake of filling out one of those forms.  He sends attachments of menus and can't stop talking about the food  and does not seem too detailed.  I can see he will not be super helpful like a TA. I have a AMEX platinum card and was excited to see those bonuses if they still exist when I cruise.  

I am a HA cruiser and certainly feel the same love here as I do from HA cruisers. Sorry for multiple questions in one thread and thanks in advance.

I would  say if you decide to use Oceania  to FP  you may want to do the math on the airfare

You can pay the deviation fee  to fly in or stay longer  with the Oceania air  deal

Price out  when the time comes what air will cost  from your location  then  you can decide what works best  for you

Unless of course you have  miles to use   then it is  a moot point

If you want bus class air  the  do your own

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose

We have been on PG, Regent and Oceania in FP.  Loved all 4 and I suspect Windstar is a wonderful experience also.  We have found O represents best value for us.  I second the idea about :doing the math" on the air portion. I'd also recommend setting up your own excursions as O's tend to be a bit pricey.  If you look on Regatta Roll Call board you'll find 2022 cruises similar to yours with recommendations and links to various providers in FP.  I think you'll love it , so enjoy.

The previous topic was what made me question my decision to choose Oceania.  The other lines are double the price and that was a 7 day versus the Oceania 10 day.  I am looking for value, not necessarily perfection.  Just wanted to know if booking O would be a huge mistake. 

Thanks for the airfare tip.  Who knows what things will cost in 2023!

Probably no kids, YES! And for Value, take Oceania and the Free Air. If you find a better air price, then adjust and take the credit. We have had friends on the last Regatta FP cruise in March 2020 and loved it.  Great people, great service and GREAT FOOD. Tours can be pricy but when combining the Free ones included in the O-Life amenities offer with others, the average price drops way down, especially if you use the Your World program discount  (25%).

We have done FP on Princess but it is NOT Oceania Value.

Have fun one and all.

Gerry

We have sailed on the Paul Gauguin three times in French Polynesia on Regent Navigator once and on Oceania twice. The Paul Gauguin was definitely the best experience. Between the quality of the speakers and the Les Gauguins, you really get a French Polynesian experience.  I'm sure Windstar is similar. When comparing the price the Regent and Paul Gauguin cruises include alcohol, depending on how much you drink that maybe an equalizer.  In the for what it's worth category we are returning the French Polynesia on Oceania Regatta in March of 2022 covid permitting.

1 hour ago, hokie_fan said:

The previous topic was what made me question my decision to choose Oceania.  The other lines are double the price and that was a 7 day versus the Oceania 10 day.  I am looking for value, not necessarily perfection.  Just wanted to know if booking O would be a huge mistake. 

Thanks for the airfare tip.  Who knows what things will cost in 2023!

O is perfect for FP. Take the air credit in O Life (and the tours perk) and get Bizclass air tix. Check United’s FP pricing, which is good. Also, in Papeete, check out staying at the Intercontinental. And in Bora Bora do the private/small group tour with Patrick of Maohe Nui.

1345611E-BCB1-40C7-979A-DA76A6DE2619.jpeg

• Like 3

I loved our March cruise to French Polynesia on Oceania.  It was amazing.  Weather can be a bit touchy, but we were lucky and only had one day that was really bad.  The cruise before us had 11 out of 12 days were overcast and rainy.  Best time of the year for FP is Sept-Nov, but as a fellow east-coaster, I am with you on Jan-Feb trips to warm locales 😉

My friend Hoopster wrote the most comprehensive review of this cruise - it details everything you ever want to know about FP and Oceania.  It is long, but worth to read before making your decision. 

• Like 2

Ironically, our first trip to those islands was on Renaissance Cruise Line's R4  (now one of "O" ships).  We have since returned 3 times.  For what its worth our least favorite island is Tahiti and Bora Bora would be our favorite.  I do think that the size of the O ships is fine for the islands and I do like the itinerary of the cruise you are considering.  We would also give you the warning (already mentioned) that round trip airfare can be a big expense.   If you are a bit more adventurous and have the time you might want to consider extending your trip and looking at different air options such as spending some time in Hawaii or perhaps using the islands as a stopover on your way from/to other places such as New Zealand or Australia.  

If you don't mind the high prices and love being on the water you could also consider extending your trip to the islands and spending a few days in a decent resort.  

Hank

8 hours ago, hokie_fan said:

I have never cruised with Oceania... I am more of a "the cheaper you go, the more you go" kind of person to a point.

So, you'd rather go to McDonalds 10 times, even on your anniversary or milestone birthday?

I suspect you may change your mind (like you have seen so many profess on this forum) once you sail on Oceania.

8 hours ago, hokie_fan said:

I had rather have couple of days in Papeete to adjust to  the time change.

Take a hard look at my review, and specifically the beginning and end for this comparison of pre/post cruise stay Moorea vs. Papeete... I strongly recommend not staying in Papeete pre-cruise. Take the easy transportation to Moorea for 2-3 days pre-cruise.

4 hours ago, delee78 said:

It was amazing.

delee!!!!!! My great friend and fellow cruisepal! Didn't think you were on CC much anymore. I've been lurking every so often. Low and behold the day I'm logged in to check things out you posted.

I miss you guys... we need to make plans in the year ahead as things open up.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524044-marinafrench-polynesia-mar-4-192018-review-wlots-of-photos/

Unfortunately when Cruise Critic "upgraded" about 2 years ago, all my videos disappeared from this review. Nonetheless, most of the photos are intact.

I can say I have waaaaaay too many places in the world to see and not enough time to do them all, that there are so very few places I would go back to rather than hitting my next several bucket list localtions. However, I'll tell you right now that if any of my cruise buddies were to call me up and say "Hey Hoopster, rather than hitting your next bucket list, why not sail with us on Oceania next year back to FP again" they wouldn't have the time to hang up and I would have already booked!

One of my best cruises/vacations of all time, and since it was my first coming from mainstream cruise lines (like you OP coming from HAL) you will be impressed by Oceania.

• Like 1

I already liking the O-Team.  Wow, so much useful information. My takeaways are:

• Add the airfare and remove later if I use miles or other methods.  
  • Although Paul Gauguin is better, the O Regatta will suit my needs.  
  • Book the  private/small group tour with Patrick of Maohe Nui
  • The comment about going cheaper was comparing PG to O.  Seems there is no point in paying double for PG. The Carnival/RCL days are over since my kids are grown. 
  • Don't go that far for just the cruise.  Moorea for 2-3 days pre-cruise sounds perfect. I'll see what Marriott offers since I get a lot of perks there.  Thanks Hoopster95 for the wealth of information and delee78 for pointing me to the review.
  • Now the BIG concern is if want to risk dropping $10,000+ for a trip that might have terrible weather.  I can handle humidity (remember east coast) but clouds and rain would make me really sad. All the other Oceania itineraries that include FP are super long which I am not ready for yet.  That is the only decision left now and a tough one. 

Your concern about "terrible weather" is valid and one that haunts us with every expensive trip.   We like to talk about a Plan B in case of lousy weather, but there really is not any Plan B for those islands.   I guess one could pray to Tiki (not sure that Tiki handles weather).  

Hank

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

One benefit to PG is there are many more options on when you could go. 

Good point!

Absolutely no where within the very detailed earlier thread did a single poster write that taking Oceania was a “ Bad Idea”. No one. What many of us that have taken Oceania, and the other lines, said was that even though we enjoyed Oceania, the other lines provided a far better experience. How does that possibly translate into a “ Bad Idea”?

Some one asks about a $30 bottle of wine, I might tell them it’s a very good wine but maybe for the price they should consider X. I never said the original queried bottle was bad, just that better options may exist!

All have been very positive for choosing Oceania for FP. I am certain it will meet my needs.  At this point it comes down to the weather risk in March. 

True, there are many choices with PG, but I really like to be home during the nice weather months and escape the bad ones.  Tough decision, but I do have some time.  Maybe Tiki will come through for me!

I will definitely be booking something with Oceania, even if I decide against the FP trip in March. The choices are endless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hokie_fan said:

I already liking the O-Team.  Wow, so much useful information. My takeaways are:

• Add the airfare and remove later if I use miles or other methods.  
  • Although Paul Gauguin is better, the O Regatta will suit my needs.  
  • Book the  private/small group tour with Patrick of Maohe Nui
  • The comment about going cheaper was comparing PG to O.  Seems there is no point in paying double for PG. The Carnival/RCL days are over since my kids are grown. 
  • Don't go that far for just the cruise.  Moorea for 2-3 days pre-cruise sounds perfect. I'll see what Marriott offers since I get a lot of perks there.  Thanks Hoopster95 for the wealth of information and delee78 for pointing me to the review.
  • Now the BIG concern is if want to risk dropping $10,000+ for a trip that might have terrible weather.  I can handle humidity (remember east coast) but clouds and rain would make me really sad. All the other Oceania itineraries that include FP are super long which I am not ready for yet.  That is the only decision left now and a tough one. 

You’ll find that Polynesia (or Hawaii et al.) weather is different than Caribbean and Swamplandia. What humidity exists is bearable and, when it rains, many times it will be showers for  just minutes at a time and it can be refreshing while you pretty much dry off quickly afterwards. 
We love Kauai’s north shore specifically for the lush vegetation and the refreshing rain showers!

PG’s food will never equal O’s

Do fly bizclass and consider United via SFO where you could add a few land days (as well as land time pre/post cruise in FP. If you do choose to do bizclass, DO NOT take the O Air. Do O Life w/o air and take the excursions perk (Search CC threads on how best to use the Excursions option).

The problem with O air for bizclass is that you need to pay the initial economy air cost in the fare to get a bizclass quote and the economy fare is not credited for bizclass. In essence, you buy two tix per person.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I would ask the poster if he's ever been on an R class ship.   If he can handle a tiny bathroom and super tiny shower...then a standard room on Regatta will suit and it'll be a wonderful time.  We've opted to sail in a PH whenever on R class because of the bathroom size and because we are likely to be aboard for 2 weeks or more.  Still enjoyed Regatta very much.

Edited by marieps

I have to chuckle  at how people  will discount the  lower cabin cat  because of the bathrooms

People must have large bathrooms at home 😉

No judgments  just an observation

We have spent many days  in the A, B & C cat cabins on the R ships  even  a couple of 30+ day  cruises

without an issue

it is good to have choices in life  🙂

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’ll find that Polynesia (or Hawaii et al.) weather is different than Caribbean and Swamplandia. What humidity exists is bearable and, when it rains, many times it will be showers for  just minutes at a time and it can be refreshing while you pretty much dry off quickly afterwards. 
We love Kauai’s north shore specifically for the lush vegetation and the refreshing rain showers!

PG’s food will never equal O’s

Do fly bizclass and consider United via SFO where you could add a few land days (as well as land time pre/post cruise in FP. If you do choose to do bizclass, DO NOT take the O Air. Do O Life w/o air and take the excursions perk (Search CC threads on how best to use the Excursions option).

The problem with O air for bizclass is that you need to pay the initial economy air cost in the fare to get a bizclass quote and the economy fare is not credited for bizclass. In essence, you buy two tix per person.

I agree with you that the north shore of Kauai is delightful. However, Tahiti is a whole other ball of wax. It is far more humid than Hawaii, particularly in our winter months (their summer).

We were booked on a HAL French Polynesia cruise in March 2020. It was cancelled three days prior due to COVID crisis. We ended up adding more days in Moorea and stayed 7 nights before Tahiti shutdown its border. The humidity hit us upon first arriving in Tahiti but it let up right away. We had a shower just one evening in a Moorea. We loved it and can’t wait for this cruise 

• Like 2