Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree @volk904 – I think this cruise proves the wisdom of 100% vaccinated crew and passengers at this point.  There will continue to be positive tests, but IMHO the important take-away here is that no one suffered any symptoms and there was 0 spreading.  Thus this was a safe cruise and a 100% ratification that the measures taken worked.  I'm sorry for those who like to cruise with their children, but for me it's 100% vaxxed all the way!

First of all, FWIW, I agree, although the risk posed by a few children is probably pretty low. BUT, this thread demonstrates that there's a lot of work needed to explain to people what's being done and why. A lot of it gets technical fast, but it's not that hard to break things down so people without a heavy background in medicine, laboratory science, etc., can understand. And terms of art used  by experts and misunderstood by others doesn't help anyone in the long run. It's important for people to have a better understanding. But that doesn't mean discussions of the (theoretical) difference between 95% and 98%.

Enjoy your next cruise! We're probably kicking our next one down the road further than planned. Not related to viruses, but unexpected mismatched schedules between myself and DW...

Edited by markeb

1 minute ago, markeb said:

First of all, FWIW, I agree, although the risk posed by a few children is probably pretty low. BUT, this thread demonstrates that there's a lot of work needed to explain to people what's being done and why. A lot of it gets technical fast, but it's not that hard to break things down so people without a heavy background in medicine, laboratory science, etc., can understand. And terms of art used  by experts and misunderstood by others doesn't help anyone in the long run. It's important for people to have a better understanding. But that doesn't mean discussions of the (theoretical) difference between 95% and 98%.

Enjoy your next cruise! We're probably kicking out next one down the road further than planned. Not related to viruses, but unexpected mismatched schedules between myself and DW...

I feel pretty safe, because my next two cruises are on ships with 118 passengers, crew and pax 100% vaxxed, and basically ship's excursions [since they are included in the price and cover almost everything I would have wanted to do].  I also understand that the passengers on this line [Noble Caledonia] tend to be well into the certified-senior-citizen range [like me!] so there won't be any late-night super-spreader events!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kearney said:

I have mixed feelings about vaccinating young children and too a lesser extent healthy young adults. But it is a tough choice... it was easy for me... being in the target age group for serious complications and worse.. it was an easy choice. But hearing about heart inflammation and the emergency meeting scheduled to discuss this... makes me still wonder. I am sure that it is healthy for the vast majority..it would be nice to have data so those at risk of side effects could be identified before... but it is still amazing that scientists were able to develop such a highly effective vaccine so quickly..so some side effects should not surprise us. Despite some concerns... I do not regret getting it.

Myocarditis (Heart Inflammation) For all this stuff about the shot possibly giving you this inflammation, I hope people please remember.  Before there was even a shot people were getting this. 

COVID CAUSES THIS, and it's probably worse with covid!  Since a vaccine invokes an immune response, this seems legitimate.

Remember Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox pitcher.  He had myocarditis in July of 2020 as a result of getting covid before there was a vaccine.

https://www.mlb.com/news/eduardo-rodriguez-diagnosed-with-myocarditis

Remember Keyontae Johnson from UF bball? He had myocarditis in December of 2020 and collapsed on the court in the middle of a basketball game against FSU.  He had covid before there was a vaccine.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/basketball/2020/12/22/florida-gators-keyontae-johnson-has-season-ending-heart-issue/4006117001/

So covid will get you myocarditis, and probably worse than any vaccine would give to you and with probably a much slimmer chance.

So, so, many people are neglecting to remember these cases.

Edited by CampNCruise74
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, NMTraveller said:

I think that Celebrity did a good job in the situation.  HOWEVER the situation is not up to par for myself to cruise.  I can pretty much go anywhere in the USA without the RESTRICTIONS on the cruise ship.  No quarantine for me on my land travels.  Who wants to be quarantined in their stateroom until they have a negative test?  That would ruin at least one day on the cruise.

Would not bother me in the least, for a day or two...

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Myocarditis (Heart Inflammation) For all this stuff about the shot possibly giving you this inflammation, I hope people please remember.  Before there was even a shot people were getting this. 

COVID CAUSES THIS, and it's probably worse with covid!  Since a vaccine invokes an immune response, this seems legitimate.

Remember Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox pitcher.  He had myocarditis in July of 2020 as a result of getting covid before there was a vaccine.

Remember Keyontae Johnson from UF bball? He had myocarditis in December of 2020 and collapsed on the court in the middle of a basketball game against FSU.  He had covid before there was a vaccine.

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/basketball/2020/12/22/florida-gators-keyontae-johnson-has-season-ending-heart-issue/4006117001/

So covid will get you myocarditis, and probably worse than any vaccine would give to you and with probably a much slimmer chance.

Thank you. Many are choosing to ignore them because it does not fit the “vaccines are dangerous” narrative.  Nor do they bother to actually research the truth behind sensationalist headlines.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope..  We are discussing vaccinated asymptomatic people.  Maybe you need to tell the CDC they are wrong.

See my further post 632. The CDC , the NHS and various other government health bodies throughout the world have different opinions based on the science and data from very highly qualified people. The CDC are no more expert than any other health body, which just goes to show we still don’t know enough about the virus, vaccine response and variants just yet. Otherwise we would have consensus now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

See my further post 632. The CDC , the NHS and various other government health bodies throughout the world have different opinions based on the science and data from very highly qualified people. The CDC are no more expert than any other health body, which just goes to show we still don’t know enough about the virus, vaccine response and variants just yet. Otherwise we would have consensus now. 

The CDC has dropped nearly all of the restrictions for vaccinated people because the evidence has shown vaccinated people are not a significant threat to anyone.  Sure there is the very, very, very small possibility that they could spread the virus to someone else, that’s why restrictions are still in places where there might be high risk people, such as hospitals.  Governing involves making decisions and balancing risks, not just just looking for absolutes.  Vaccinated asymptomatic people pose a negligible risk to spread the virus to the general population and we need to resume our normal lives.  That means understanding that asymptomatic vaccinated people are not a threat to the general population.  We need to stop testing them and focus on protecting any vulnerable people.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CampNCruise74 said:

Please stop with the facts.  It’s only going to confuse some people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The CDC has dropped nearly all of the restrictions for vaccinated people because the evidence has shown vaccinated people are not a significant threat to anyone.  Sure there is the very, very, very small possibility that they could spread the virus to someone else, that’s why restrictions are still in places where there might be high risk people, such as hospitals.  Governing involves making decisions and balancing risks, not just just looking for absolutes.  Vaccinated asymptomatic people pose a negligible risk to spread the virus to the general population and we need to resume our normal lives.  That means understanding that asymptomatic vaccinated people are not a threat to the general population.  We need to stop testing them and focus on protecting any vulnerable people.

I think we will agree to differ. 

9 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There were not two positive cases.  Two people had positive test results.  That is not the same thing.  They had no symptoms whatsoever.  Many don't seem to get this distinction.

Yes you're right, I do get the distinction.....

• Like 2

Apparently Holland America yesterday told all passengers on B2B Alaska sailings this summer that they will have to change their plans as the CDC has now said B2B's aren't allowed.  I can't document this, just repeating what someone on one of those ships stated.  I wonder if this is in response to the 2 positive results on Millie.

29 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Apparently Holland America yesterday told all passengers on B2B Alaska sailings this summer that they will have to change their plans as the CDC has now said B2B's aren't allowed.  I can't document this, just repeating what someone on one of those ships stated.  I wonder if this is in response to the 2 positive results on Millie.

Do you have a link for where you read this? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Do you have a link for where you read this? Thanks.

No, it was an email from a friend who was booked on an Alaskan HAL cruise.  Have looked for confirmation about this but haven't seen anything on CC yet.

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes you're right, I do get the distinction.....

As I posted earlier, under the new CDC guidance for the land, these two positive tests would NOT be counted as Covid cases IF the people were vaccinated because the positive Covid test result did not result in hospitalization or death.

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

As I posted earlier, under the new CDC guidance for the land, these two positive tests would NOT be counted as Covid cases IF the people were vaccinated because the positive Covid test result did not result in hospitalization or death.

However in the rest of the world, they would count them as cases.  One way I suppose of reducing your numbers.

• Like 3

After 669 posts on this thread, I conclude that we have two groups of posters. Those who look at this whole incident as a positive because of how it was handled and how the cruise actually proceeded during the week, and those who want to stay locked up and believe no one should cruise because of ( fill in the blank).

Count me in the first group. Vaccinated and knowledgeable enough to know the difference between science fact and fear.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

You are free to believe what you wish to believe.  There is a high level of consensus now on the virus and the effect of vaccines across the world.  Nothing this complicated will ever be absolute agreement and consensus.  So most of us go with the preponderance of the information.   But you can Google and always find outliers to support whatever your personal beliefs are.  But if the virus still spreads amongst the fully vaccinated then the vaccines would not be having the effect they are having in highly vaccinated countries.  The pandemic will never end.  Nothing further from me here on this topic.  Have a good day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

After 669 posts on this thread, I conclude that we have two groups of posters. Those who look at this whole incident as a positive because of how it was handled and how the cruise actually proceeded during the week, and those who want to stay locked up and believe no one should cruise because of ( fill in the blank).

Count me in the first group. Vaccinated and knowledgeable enough to know the difference between science fact and fear.

Agree completely....and I too am in the 1st group.

Some seem to want this pandemic to go on until there are ZERO positive results anywhere....which will NEVER happen.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

A positive test does NOT equate to a case.  

When a positive test is confirmed, of course it is a case.

Useful to know not to trust US case numbers.

Btw I don't trust the numbers from China, India or Russia either

Edited by anniegb

15 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I don't get why people are surprised that there are positive tests even on a fully vaccinated ship.

This is going to happen over and over again.  Maybe forever.  If it scares you, don't cruise.

I am more interested in what they do with the people who test positive--where do they go in foreign ports?  How do they get home?  Who pays for their medical while in a foreign country?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, anniegb said:

However in the rest of the world, they would count them as cases.  One way I suppose of reducing your numbers.

Yes, along with changing the cycling rules for positive PCR tests on January 20, 2021.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I don't get why people are surprised that there are positive tests even on a fully vaccinated ship.

This is going to happen over and over again.  Maybe forever.  If it scares you, don't cruise.

I am more interested in what they do with the people who test positive--where do they go in foreign ports?  How do they get home?  Who pays for their medical while in a foreign country?

That is why European cruise lines require the customer to prove they have adequate Travel Insurance to cover costs.