Excursions Only-no self wondering in towns

covergirl1300

10 minutes ago, covergirl1300 said:

I was told that you have to stay with an organized tour once in Iceland and on the ship.

Can someone confirm this?

I may want to do some stuff on my own without an organized tour from the 

Once you board the ship on embarkation day you cannot leave unless you are on a Viking excursion.  If you leave a Viking excursion group, you will be denied boarding, get no refund and must find your own way home.

43 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Once you board the ship on embarkation day you cannot leave unless you are on a Viking excursion.  If you leave a Viking excursion group, you will be denied boarding, get no refund and must find your own way home.

Wish someone capable would research Viking culture and find their word for forceable exile from the group/tribe.  Would be fun to use here.
I just hope that as a doddering old fool that I don't get confused and wander off accidently.:classic_sad:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Wish someone capable would research Viking culture and find their word for forceable exile from the group/tribe.  Would be fun to use here.
I just hope that as a doddering old fool that I don't get confused and wander off accidently.:classic_sad:

How about ‘forvise’.  ‘Du er forvist fra dette skipet’ (you are banished from this ship).  

These Covid-related issues - vaccines, testing, masks, bubbles - were included in the information for the Welcome Back cruises.  If you want to travel this year, you need to follow the rules.  I think Viking is trying their best to keep you safe and to keep their ships afloat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, covergirl1300 said:

I was told that you have to stay with an organized tour once in Iceland and on the ship.

Can someone confirm this?

I may want to do some stuff on my own without an organized tour from the ship...

@covergirl1300 have you found Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022? This is just the kind of thing that we have been talking about there, along with a lot of other information about what we should be expecting (like weather -- in the 50s and rainy). And have you found the roll call for sailing?

4 hours ago, philw1776 said:

In the meantime, "banishee" might be fun to use

Our Malta and Adriatic Jewels (Jul 24 - Aug 3) cruise is under these same restrictions.  However...they just added an extension in Valletta (at the end), with no restrictions: you're entirely on your own to explore Valletta.  So maybe the restrictions in Valletta have been lifted?  Or maybe they will be lifted on August 1, before our return?

47 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Our Malta and Adriatic Jewels (Jul 24 - Aug 3) cruise is under these same restrictions.  However...they just added an extension in Valletta (at the end), with no restrictions: you're entirely on your own to explore Valletta.  So maybe the restrictions in Valletta have been lifted?  Or maybe they will be lifted on August 1, before our return?

My take on this is that Viking are happy for you to do what you like after departing the ship. Especially if it doesn’t cause any issues returning to your country of origin. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

@covergirl1300 have you found Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022? This is just the kind of thing that we have been talking about there, along with a lot of other information about what we should be expecting (like weather -- in the 50s and rainy). And have you found the roll call for sailing?

I am finding it very hard to navigate this thread for some reason. But I did get the info I need, no excursions on your own. I am flying in a few days early and will do the "extras" before boarding the ship. thank you to everyone that responded. BTW, I don't seem to be able to get a link for the August 31 departure. It keeps bringing me back to the whole ship, not just this sailing date. It seems like you are a master at this and I appreciate any help...

51 minutes ago, covergirl1300 said:

I am finding it very hard to navigate this thread for some reason. But I did get the info I need, no excursions on your own. I am flying in a few days early and will do the "extras" before boarding the ship. thank you to everyone that responded. BTW, I don't seem to be able to get a link for the August 31 departure. It keeps bringing me back to the whole ship, not just this sailing date. It seems like you are a master at this and I appreciate any help...

Here ya go:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782206-viking-jupiter-august-31-september-7-iceland’s-natural-beauty/

2 hours ago, covergirl1300 said:

Right! The conversation on the General Thread is a bit hard to follow at first; with so many sub-topics it is like trying to untangle a ball of thread.  But once you get started, you are quickly up to speed with the various topic.

We are booked on the V. Sky in August. It was made clear to me at the time of booking that we were only allowed off the ship on organised tours - though this may change depending on Covid guidance. At the moment My Viking Journey is not showing any excursions at all. I can only read about them in the adverts. Has anyone on the July sailings been able to book excursions? I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that this ship actually sails with us onboard as we’ve been cancelled twice already. 

How has Viking been with adding excursions? We're booked on July 11th -Just paid this AM-  When we made the initial hold, the planner showed excursions available - After we paid the excursions are now sold out.. Dont exactly want to go and just sit on a ship... Called Viking and they stated that excursions will be added.. but still concerned..

For Queenie1603 above.

I am on the 31/7 sailing on Viking Sky and we booked ShoreX last week.

I believe that the 3/8 on Viking Jupiter has had their ShoreX released.

But so far that's all for the August departures.

Edited by NeilP57

I believe that the required “bubble” shore excursions are required as much by the country visited, if not their total control, as it is with the cruise companies. It’s happening with every cruise line. It is the single biggest hesitation to booking anyplace for us at this point. I hope, for a whole lot of reasons, that Covid is under control enough for the relaxation of these requirements in the very near future. 

• Like 1

Note - today begins the first Bermuda cruise. All communication had been that passengers would only be able to leave the ship in their "bubble" on ship excursions. 
However last night, passengers received an email from Viking notifying them that Bermuda has lifted that requirement and therefore, all passengers could leave the ship at will and freely travel around the island. (YAY! We sail in a month hoping and expecting that will be true for our trip)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

Note - today begins the first Bermuda cruise. All communication had been that passengers would only be able to leave the ship in their "bubble" on ship excursions. 
However last night, passengers received an email from Viking notifying them that Bermuda has lifted that requirement and therefore, all passengers could leave the ship at will and freely travel around the island. (YAY! We sail in a month hoping and expecting that will be true for our trip)

Yes that is great news!  Although they were careful to say, this would be on a cruise by cruise basis, depending on how things went.  Fingers crossed for us on June 29th!!  That would be so fantastic to have no bubble at all!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 9:18 PM, NeilP57 said:

For Queenie1603 above.

I am on the 31/7 sailing on Viking Sky and we booked ShoreX last week.

I believe that the 3/8 on Viking Jupiter has had their ShoreX released.

But so far that's all for the August departures.

Edited by Alan2504
oops