Is Royal the only line not requiring vaccines in Florida?

Is Royal the only line not requiring vaccines in Florida? Very early this morning, Carnival made it official and the Horizon out of Miami will sail in July, fully vaccinated. They had already confirmed the same for the new Mardi Gras from Port Canaveral as well. (go see John Heald's Facebook page for more info)

As far as I have read, this means that Celebrity, Norwegian, and now Carnival of all lines intend to sail fully vaccinated in Florida. This also means so masks or social distancing on those lines. (I think Disney is the only major line yet to announce plans one way or another although everyone assumes they will not require them as well)

I believe as of now, Royal is still claiming they are not going that route. I do not see this as good or bad, I am in no way celebrating or condemning Royal for this decision. In some ways, it is good to have choices. I am just curious as to why other lines feel the law in FL is no issue but Royal does cite that as a reason for going the test cruise route.

Personally, the part of this that I feel concerns many of us is the experience. None of us wants to cruise with masks and social distancing. Alas, I believe even though Royal believes at least 90% of their ships will be vaccinated, the way they are choosing to restart means masks and social distancing rules will be the case for the next 2-3 months. For those that want no masks and a fully vaccinated ship, seems there are other choices.

Has another line yet announced their intent to start in FL with no vaccine mandate?

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Celebrity is NOT sailing fully vaccinated.

Interesting when booking a July Horizon itinerary on CCL website, there is no mention of a vaccine requirement.

Celebrity is sailing 95% vaccinated. I take that to mean "fully".

As for the required vs non-required, word semantics. They have said if they exceed 5% vaccinated arriving to the port, they will block you from boarding. So maybe they don't use the word "require", but it's required.

• Like 2

Carnival's John Heald's Facebook post from this morning (Saturday Jun 12th)

Good Saturday morning to you all from Hockley, Essex.
So here we are on this glorious Saturday and I have to rub my eyes in disbelief when I say we will be cruising again in 21 days time when Carnival Vista departs from Galveston.
Late last night we sent those guests booked on Carnival Horizon's July sailings the conformation that their cruises would be departing and so I will be seeing some of you on July 4th. These July cruises on Carnival Horizon are for 95% vaccinated guests.
Again I must give those who cannot cruise because they have not had the vaccine, cannot take the vaccine or have children who are too young to have it that you are unable to have the fun you deserve just yet.
These were difficult choices to make for the beards but under the current CDC regulations it would have meant that non vaccinated guests and their children would have had to wear a mask everywhere, indoors and outdoors while in the sun and really that is not the cruise vacation I know you would enjoy.
But as our incomparable President Christine said in her letter " she does remain optimistic that as we continue to talk to the CDC cruising from the United Sates will become more flexible."
What is happening now will not be forever.
So on July 4th Carnival Horizon will be sailing on a 6 day cruise to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove and Bimini. And among those on board will be me, holding my Eye Phone in the air, waddling down Promenade Deck sharing live videos showing you that the FUN is back.
Cheers and have a brilliant day
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cruiserking said:

MSC is starting cruises from Florida in August with unvaccinated passengers. 

Jonathan

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks! So far then

Vaccines Required: Carnival, NCL, Celebrity

Not required: Royal. MSC

Yet to announce: Disney

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texmat said:

A great business decision. All those other lines who have people that can’t get vaccinated will now run to RCL! 

I choose to look at the decisions as neither good nor bad, just different. People who can't get vaccinated may "flock" to RCL as you say. and people who prefer vaccinated cruises might "flock" to carnival perhaps. Both help cruising get started faster

We can look at this without the politically charged lens...accept things the way they are and discuss without it being so heated. Too many heated threads here. I am tired of the politics and just want to talk about cruising.

• Like 7

I just went through the entire booking process for the July 10 sailing on The Edge, NOT ONE QUESTION about my vaccination status, not one alert that a vaccine is required.

Did a mock booking on NCL for Gem August 10, no mention of vaccine requirement until you get to the payment page, it says "vaccine requirement for all age groups on this itinerary"

Edited by not-enough-cruising

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I just went through the entire booking process for the July 10 sailing on The Edge, NOT ONE QUESTION about my vaccination status, not one alert that a vaccine is required.

Are you just trying to stir the pot or do you legitimately not know that celebrity has said everyone eligible must be vaccinated?

It is plain as day right on their website...

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Vaccines

All guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. All UK guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette 18 years and older must be fully vaccinated. Crew onboard will be vaccinated.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 2

Glad I booked fully refundable cruises out of Florida. Having to wear a mask indoors to accommodate the unlimited amount of unvaccinated passengers on Royal is a major turnoff.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Glad I booked fully refundable cruises out of Florida. Having to wear a mask indoors on Royal I a major turnoff.

Of course all this conversation does need to be preface with the whole disclaimer that rules change quite often so unless your cruise is in the June July or possibly early August time frame, anything is possible 

At this time all we have to go on are whatever rules are in place as of today. As of today, Royal would need to require masks on sailings from FL.

Hopefully each person here can make up their mind if the rules work for their specific cruise before PIF or any refund date. 

This statement from Carnival is so true.

These were difficult choices to make for the beards but under the current CDC regulations it would have meant that non vaccinated guests and their children would have had to wear a mask everywhere, indoors and outdoors while in the sun and really that is not the cruise vacation I know you would enjoy.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Anybody know what HAL is doing?

19 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I don't believe they've announced any resumption of US sailings

Although HAL has not announced US sailings (other than Alaska), I believe that they have made the commitment that all cruises will be fully vaccinated. Princess as well.  

5 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We booked on X this week. We were asked if we were vaccinated and if we would present our vaccine card at check in. We were placed in the vaccinated group. Those stating no will be placed in the unvaccinated group. Celebrity has not updated their website to ask for this information when booking on line. All guests who booked online will be receiving a call to ask those questions. Once each sailing reaches five percent of non vaccinated, the booking close for anyone else unvaccinated. 

Thanks for the update.

So then to answer the original question, it appears at this time ONLY NCL has committed to "fully vaccinated" ships out of Florida.

Edited by not-enough-cruising

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Correct. Celebrity is committed to 95% out of Florida. 

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thanks for the update.

So the the original question, it appears at this time ONLY NCL has committed to "fully vaccinated" ships out of Florida.

I think there is some semantics involved here. A 95/98 sailing has taken on the connotation of “fully vaccinated” with the cruise lines, on these boards and in the press. The CDC is basically eliminating most of the health protocols for those sailings and are treating all passengers as vaccinated.  So it’s easy to understand referring to them as fully vaccinated.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

Curious how Carnival is getting around Floral law? I am assuming that is why Celebrity and RCL walked it back? Carnival is the biggest cruiseline in Florida. They own princess and Holland America? I am booked on RCL but honestly want all vaccinated for the freedoms it allows. Not afraid of unvaccinated just the restrictions they bring. Plus my kids are old enough to be vaccinated. My youngest got her 2nd last week. 

• Like 2

Just now, Thenagers said:

Curious how Carnival is getting around Floral law? I am assuming that is why Celebrity and RCL walked it back? Carnival is the biggest cruiseline in Florida. They own princess and Holland America? I am booked on RCL but honestly want all vaccinated for the freedoms it allows. Not afraid of unvaccinated just the restrictions they bring. Plus my kids are old enough to be vaccinated. My youngest got her 2nd last week. 

Florida! Not Floral!

Royal is requiring passengers on the Adventure, Serenade, Ovation, and Independence to be fully vaccinated ACCORDING TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE DEPARTURE PORT.  They are going according to the local health officials. 

I'm thinking, along with other posters I've read lately, that they are waiting for FL to decide if they want to lose the business or not.

So, as they start cruising from different ports, they will update this page:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

Travel requirements and health protocols are constantly evolving and vary by port of departure. Below, see the latest travel requirements for select ships returning in July and August. We will continue to publish more protocols as they are developed. Booked guests will be advised of their specific requirements before setting sail.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

I think there is some semantics involved here. A 95/98 sailing has taken on the connotation of “fully vaccinated” both with the cruise lines, on these boards and in the press. The CDC is basically eliminating most of the health protocols for those sailings and are treating all passengers as vaccinated.  So it’s easy to understand referring to them as fully vaccinated.  

Yeah, what I meant in the original question was which lines are requiring then, not necessarily committing to 100%. To me a 95% vaccinated cruise is "requiring" vaccines, at least from the perspective of being allowed to sail without masks.

Celebrity has specifically said their method of getting around the law was to allow anyone to book and then just admit or deny boarding at the port once they hit 5% "voluntary" vaccination.

Carnival keeps flip flopping but at least some of the info over the past few days indicated that if you are already booked and paid in full, you can apply for an exemption for under 12 and they will approve no more than 4% before sailing day to give them some wiggle room.

Not sure (and don't really care) if that does or does not "get around" the law. I more care about sailing without a mask than whether or not there are x% of un-vaccinated people onboard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yeah, what I meant in the original question was which lines are requiring then, not necessarily committing to 100%. To me a 95% vaccinated cruise is "requiring" vaccines, at least from the perspective of being allowed to sail without masks.

Celebrity has specifically said their method of getting around the law was to allow anyone to book and then just admit or deny boarding at the port once they hit 5% "voluntary" vaccination.

Carnival keeps flip flopping but at least some of the info over the past few days indicated that if you are already booked and paid in full, you can apply for an exemption for under 12 and they will approve no more than 4% before sailing day to give them some wiggle room.

Not sure (and don't really care) if that does or does not "get around" the law. I more care about sailing without a mask than whether or not there are x% of un-vaccinated people onboard.

Mask free cruising being a requirement is something we can agree on.  I will not sail any other way.  I don't care about the unvaccinated on board either.

• Like 6